Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifting

Options
  • 29-10-2019 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Tried to get the answer to this myself but failed.

If I wanted to just do a comp for experience where would I go? My numbers arent great or anything ive just an interest in trying this out one day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Tried to get the answer to this myself but failed.

If I wanted to just do a comp for experience where would I go? My numbers arent great or anything ive just an interest in trying this out one day.

I've done a few in the IPF. Your numbers don't need to be great. You just need to show up and want to lift. Or even just show up. Open Comps in the IPF are welcoming to all regardless of their numbers. You'll be cheered on regardless because you've put yourself on a platform and you'll be lifting for your own PRs. As an example, there was > 300kg in the difference across the 93kg lifters. Much the same in 105s. Most people enter in it to beat their own numbers, no one else's.

I can only speak of my experience in the IPF but there are other feds.

Pick a fed, join up and pick your comp. In the IPF, there's an IrishPF discussion group on Facebook with details of upcoming comps on it.

I did my first comp nearly 3 years ago. Did a post on it here:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057696988/1/#post102382155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'd second what Alf says. Nobody will care what you're lifting in comparison to someone else, they'll just support you the same as anyone else, and it's just cool if you do a number of comps to see how your numbers progress.

I'm like Alf in that I've only done IPF comps, bar my first which was an in house comp not affiliated to a federation, which could be an option also as an easy introduction.

Where are you based? There are a few IPF comps coming up in the next weeks if you were near and wanted to come along to watch a session and get an idea what it's like. This weekend there's the Connacht Open in TJ Reid's gym in Salthill in Galway (I'm lifting at this one on the Saturday morning), there's a 1 day comp in ABS in Dublin on the the 30th, and then another 1 day comp on the 14th December in Citygym here in Limerick.

2 other federations are the IDFPA and IPO (there are 2 divisions here, IPO which is untested and AIPO which is drug tested (as are IPF and IDFPA)). The IPO also have a comp coming up soon, and the websites/Facebook pages for the federation will usually have a calendar of upcoming events.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

I've done a few in the IPF. Your numbers don't need to be great. You just need to show up and want to lift. Or even just show up. Open Comps in the IPF are welcoming to all regardless of their numbers. You'll be cheered on regardless because you've put yourself on a platform and you'll be lifting for your own PRs. As an example, there was > 300kg in the difference across the 93kg lifters. Much the same in 105s. Most people enter in it to beat their own numbers, no one else's.

I can only speak of my experience in the IPF but there are other feds.

Pick a fed, join up and pick your comp. In the IPF, there's an IrishPF discussion group on Facebook with details of upcoming comps on it.

I did my first comp nearly 3 years ago. Did a post on it here:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057696988/1/#post102382155
    Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'd second what Alf says. Nobody will care what you're lifting in comparison to someone else, they'll just support you the same as anyone else, and it's just cool if you do a number of comps to see how your numbers progress.

I'm like Alf in that I've only done IPF comps, bar my first which was an in house comp not affiliated to a federation, which could be an option also as an easy introduction.

Where are you based? There are a few IPF comps coming up in the next weeks if you were near and wanted to come along to watch a session and get an idea what it's like. This weekend there's the Connacht Open in TJ Reid's gym in Salthill in Galway (I'm lifting at this one on the Saturday morning), there's a 1 day comp in ABS in Dublin on the the 30th, and then another 1 day comp on the 14th December in Citygym here in Limerick.

2 other federations are the IDFPA and IPO (there are 2 divisions here, IPO which is untested and AIPO which is drug tested (as are IPF and IDFPA)). The IPO also have a comp coming up soon, and the websites/Facebook pages for the federation will usually have a calendar of upcoming events.

Thanks a million lads. So facebook is my best bet for finding out about the competition dates? I think IPF would be a good place to start. How much is a membership fee? And then does it cost to compete each time?

I'm not overly concerned as I do just want to experience it and see what I can do on the day. However I am 107kg and I don't have a double BW deadlift and barely bench over my BW. Just dont want to be way out of my depth either. haha

I am a member of flyefit so haven't seen many in house comps in there but I would be interested in something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Thanks a million lads. So facebook is my best bet for finding out about the competition dates? I think IPF would be a good place to start. How much is a membership fee? And then does it cost to compete each time?

I'm not overly concerned as I do just want to experience it and see what I can do on the day. However I am 107kg and I don't have a double BW deadlift and barely bench over my BW. Just dont want to be way out of my depth either. haha

I am a member of flyefit so haven't seen many in house comps in there but I would be interested in something like that.

I genuinely wouldn't worry about it, there's no such thing as out of your depth, powerlifting is genuinely the most supportive sport I've been part of it, even in the warm up area and between lifts all the lifters are helping each other and will be cheering you on.

Membership is 50 and then a comp generally costs between 50 and 60.

If you can I'd say try to drop down to ABS on the 30th just to experience it, even just watching it's class and the atmosphere is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Discussion group page for IPF will have new events for calendar. The event in ABS will be the last this year so worth going for a look. They usually do a good meet in ABS as well, with all the trimmings.

Don't mind your numbers and whether or not they're good enough to compete. Your numbers are your numbers and people will cheer you on for putting the numbers on the platform (and wearing spandex in front of a room full of people). I don't ever remember a comp where I noticed what anyone else was lifting. Well, except either lads I knew that were doing it or lads at national level because they lift heavy and it's cool to watch. Outside of that, no one really pays attention to the numbers, just that you're looking to beat your own numbers and they will cheer you on for that.

I held off for ages until I thought I was ready. Waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Forget about your numbers - they are irrelevant unless you are looking to win best lifters - or are trying to beat your own previous number.

I've competed in the IPO, AIPO, GPC and IPF over the last few years - my first comp I didn't even know you got three attempts at all lifts until I did my first lift and was asked what my next attempt was !!

like everyone else i'd suggest you get to ABS on the 30th Nov or 1st Dec to watch a competition - the one on the saturday is an IPF Open comp and the one on the sunday is part of the ABS Series (which isn't linked to any federation) - that will give you the idea of how a comp runs and what happens on the day. Talk to people there - tell them you are interested and with in minutes you will be talking to someone who might be willing to help you - meet you for a training session - have a look at your lifts etc.

Think about taking on a coach - online, PT or in a gym which ever suits - just commit to a training cycle for a comp in the calendar and depending on how that goes you can then decide if it for you or not. You can enquire at any of the comps about who would be suitable. The Powerlifting community is very open and loves helping new members.

As for getting on the platform .. of course it is nerve wracking - i've been doing it for a couple of years and generally don't sleep a wink the night before - but isn't that all part of challenging your self !!

I wouldn't recommend doing a comp without a coach / mentor as you'll need to be aware of the rules and how a comp runs and maybe having someone in your corner on the day - otherwise the day could be a real disappointment.

Also a little bit of coaching will ensure that you are lifting to a required standard - as in Squat depth is legal, pausing the bench press and locking out the deadlift correctly !! most people you see in commercial gyms are not performing these lifts to 'comp' standards as they don't need to.

to lift with any federation you need to be a member - I can't think off hand but I think membership is about €50 and then it's about €50 to enter the comp. IPF comps sell out very quickly usually so you need to keep an eye on the IrishPF Discussion Group on Facebook to make sure you see the event details quickly.

I am more or less committed to the IPF now - however for a total novice it might be an idea to consider the AIPO / IPO Nationals that take place in limerick in spring - it is an open comp, so just need to pay membership and enter (places tend not to sell out too quickly) .. the AIPO is Tested (so should be drug free) and they have a 'RAW' section which is for people who squat with no knee sleeves or wraps and is great for beginners. The main differences between an AIPO comp and IPF comp are:
    - Use of a MonoLift rather than a rack for squats - so you don't have to walk out the squat - but can if you want
    - 25kg squat barbell (IPF use a 20kg bar)
    - Deadlift barbell (IPF use a powerbar - stiffer) but not really a consideration unless you are pulling over 250kg !
    - 24 hour weigh in - so you weigh in the day before the comp (IPF you weigh in 2 hours before comp)
    - On the bench press in the AIPO you can raise your head and your heels can be off the floor

I won't get in to the whole IPO / IPF debate here as it's something that is boring at this stage - but i've always enjoyed all comps.

Feel free to PM me with any questions that you might have.

Advertisement