Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again? II

Options
  • 29-05-2020 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Mods, you didn't explain why the last thread was closed. That's something I've never seen on the 15 years, on and off, I've been reading Boards

If you're going to close this one, give us a reason

My PMs to two of you asking why the first thread was closed went unanswered

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"July 1 will end all lockdowns in Thailand, including international travel"

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/july-1-will-end-all-lockdowns-in-thailand-including-international-travel

"The Thai government says it will lift all remaining business and activity lockdowns on July 1, according to the National Security Council chief.
    “This includes interprovincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.”

The lift of all restrictions, imposed under the country’s emergency decree, would be a “complete reopening of the country”. Officials and the CCSA will spend June getting ready for this milestone in the country’s relatively successful Covid-19 strategy"

The Thaiger is usually a reliable source for all things Thailand

Re: Thailand. I just read this on a Travel sub on Reddit
    Actually they have not said what international travel means. They will surely not issue every type of visa right away. So likely just means Thais can get out and come back again. There will be 14 day self quarantine I’m sure.

It will be a long time until normal tourism comes back i.e normal 2-4 week holiday. Government have slated maybe Q3 things may improve to welcome tourists but likely to still restrict certain countries with higher virus cases.

This makes more sense then them just opening the country back up again after their very strict restrictions and then banning of tourists in March

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hoping to reschedule my trip for June 2021, just pushing it out a year

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

We're due to travel to vancouver for 3 weeks in August to see family. Im cautiously optimistic but unhappy that direct flights from Dublin have been cancelled and the new flight stops in Toronto, exactly what i DIDNT want with 3 smallies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would suggest next week they will probably announce that they will shorten the 3 week gaps between progress to 2 weeks if numbers remain low.

Lobbying is beginning on making the quarantine more flexible. I would suggest by July 1st the mandatory quarantine will not be in place for EU nations with further loosening later in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I had a trip booked to Norway for July, I cancelled it obviously, but just see the Norwegian govt has extended the ban till August 20 .... they really aren't taking any chances, now Im wondering should I delay it again till July 2022 ... we were thinking of going in July 2021...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I had a trip booked to Norway for July, I cancelled it obviously, but just see the Norwegian govt has extended the ban till August 20 .... they really aren't taking any chances, now Im wondering should I delay it again till July 2022 ... we were thinking of going in July 2021...

If the world hasn't somewhat righted itself enough to allow relatively hassle free EU travel by July of next year then we're in serious trouble

I think (hope) you should be fine for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I would suggest next week they will probably announce that they will shorten the 3 week gaps between progress to 2 weeks if numbers remain low.

Lobbying is beginning on making the quarantine more flexible. I would suggest by July 1st the mandatory quarantine will not be in place for EU nations with further loosening later in the summer.

Not going to happen with an incubation period for the virus of 14 days...the third week allows them to assess one week of the impact of easing restrictions.

My OH is very interested in the news that Thailand may be opening up. I love Thailand but am not sure I'd be comfortable travelling over there in August. Safe countries in Europe yes but think Asia is too far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My concern is Health/Travel insurance these days and going forward. You never know what might happen anywhere when least expected.

Even in EU, if heaven forbid you need to be repatriated or something, the EHIC will not help you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was planning on going back to Thailand this September. Will hold off till end of November if it's looking a bit safer. Won't take any chances though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Going to Spain July 31st for the long weekend and Greece in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    If the world hasn't somewhat righted itself enough to allow relatively hassle free EU travel by July of next year then we're in serious trouble

I think (hope) you should be fine for next year

Norway isnt in the EU

Norway isnt in the EU

Oh?

Sweden and Finland are there so I just always presumed Norway were too

Any word of if EHIC will cover Covid? Or if they're starting talks about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why would the health card not cover Covid?
    They'll obviously cover it like all emergency medical situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any word of if EHIC will cover Covid? Or if they're starting talks about it

I can’t see why it wouldn’t.
    Private travel insurance may not though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gael23 wrote: »
    I can’t see why it wouldn’t.
    Private travel insurance may not though

I'd say there's a very slim chance any travel insurance will cover it going forward. It'll probably be built into the conditions of cover that any disruption caused by coronavirus isn't covered. Can't see how EHIC wouldn't as all it entitles you to is same healthcare as other countries citizens.

A flight from Madrid to Lanzarote with 140 people onboard has been quarantined after a passenger tested positive for the coronavirus while still in the air

Shocked passengers were hurried off the plane and forced into quarantine after landing at Cesar Manrique airport on the Canary Islands yesterday, many were visibly shaken.

It is understood that Spanish authorities immediately launched an urgent enquiry to determine why the 53-year-old man was allowed to fly as current restrictions in Spain only allow people to fly for essential travel reasons, such as work or a personal emergency.

The passenger had reportedly taken a coronavirus test prior to travelling as he had been in contact with someone who had passed away from the virus and also attended their funeral. But according to reports, he had not received his results prior to boarding the flight – and only discovered the positive result while in the air.

It has since been revealed that the man himself informed the cabin crew of his diagnosis after being contacted by his sister.
    Police and health authorities on the island scrambled to the airport after being contacted by Castilla y León public health department, a town that neighbours Madrid.

The man now faces prosecution and a considerable fine for skipping quarantine as well as a possible crime against public health. Passengers sitting closest to the man will now have to spend two weeks in quarantine, while the remaining travellers face a week in confinement before being tested.
    The incident has apparently sent shock waves through the airline and travel and tourism industry who were hoping an end to quarantine periods altogether, this latest setback is the last thing I’m sure they wanted to hear.

Update:

The Minister of Health for the Canary Islands, Julio Pérez, confirmed that the man had been advised not to fly before receiving his test results, and also that another passenger with symptoms was detected on the same flight, who has been taken straight to the hospital for coronavirus tests.

The 13 people who have been subjected to isolation upon arrival in Lanzarote, are the passengers who occupied the two rows around him, and another passenger who he had been talking to, for about 15 minutes at the airport.

What a mess

This is why I'm waiting till at least mid September. There'll be possibly a few incidents like this, or it's possible things will be better by then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What a mess

This is why I'm waiting till at least mid September. There'll be possibly a few incidents like this, or it's possible things will be better by then

Likewise. The virus isn't the main issue. It's the idiots travelling.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd say there's a very slim chance any travel insurance will cover it going forward. It'll probably be built into the conditions of cover that any disruption caused by coronavirus isn't covered. Can't see how EHIC wouldn't as all it entitles you to is same healthcare as other countries citizens.

I got my renewal notice for travel insurance last week. They made it very clear that nothing Covid-19 related is covered from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Not just travel insurance.

FBD and most insurance companies in Ireland have notified government "that insurance companies do not have to cover unforeseen events like COVID19" so why have insurance in the first place.

Historically, insurance companies will and have used every excuse in the book to not payout.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I got my renewal notice for travel insurance last week. They made it very clear that nothing Covid-19 related is covered from now on.

Not even treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Not even treatment?

Here's the section from the email. I haven't gone into the details as I won't need travel insurance for a while yet :

New exclusion: · The policy does not cover any claims caused by or relating to coronavirus disease (COVID-19); severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-COV-2) or any mutation or variation of these. Nor will your policy cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Due to go to Turkey in mid August...looking very much in the balance as to whether or not that will happen now. Is there anything in the governments phases that indicates when they will allow international travel again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Monokne wrote: »
    Due to go to Turkey in mid August...looking very much in the balance as to whether or not that will happen now. Is there anything in the governments phases that indicates when they will allow international travel again?

Why is it in the balance? That quarantine nonsense will be well gone by then as will the 20km rule and as long as turkey isn’t restricting travel on people from Ireland you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

EU countries only with EHIC is looking the best bet by far. But not for me in the Summer during the school holidays... don't have to tie myself to the mid term breaks and so on anymore. Mid October is something I might consider.

But will let the guinea pigs go first and see how the social distancing and so on work in airports. Can't see it being a pleasant or quick experience, as if it ever was in the first place. Sorry if I sound smug about the freedom to choose when to travel, but it took a long time to get to this point in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Why is it in the balance? That quarantine nonsense will be well gone by then as will the 20km rule and as long as turkey isn’t restricting travel on people from Ireland you’ll be fine.

You're not allowed out of Ireland or into Turkey right now and as best as I can tell neither have definitive dates on that changing. Plus I would assume any dates are entirely dependent on the pandemic progressing anyway, and given the stories in the media around Turkey trying to hide/downplay their figures, nothing seems concrete at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You're not allowed out of Ireland
    You are free to leave at anytime.

Advertisement