Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

iguana wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried about dehydration. I'm finding it very hard to drink anything without feeling awful afterwards. From very early on in the pregnancy I seem to have developed lactose intolerance. I was usually a big milk guzzler but from about 6-7 weeks I started finding myself very painfully bloated after even a small glass of it. At the moment I can't touch it. I can still eat cheese, or at least I might be able to I vomited twice this week shortly after eating cheese, so I'm trying to get my calcium from that.

I cant stand water; still, sparking or soda, even though before pregnancy I drank buckets of still and sparking. I can only bear juice in small amounts, I'm currently forcing myself to drink grape juice as it doesn't give me heartburn or make me feel like throwing up.

I don't drink tea or coffee anyway but liked many herbal teas, but I've had to give up some, like peppermint, or force myself with others and I feel awful after drinking them. I can push myself to drink iced tea but I tend to feel yucky afterwards. Fizzy drinks are mostly not helping at all, ginger beer which I normally love and lucozade which I quite liked make me feel ill.

However there is one exception. Coke. I hate it. I normally avoid it. But since getting pregnant I want it all the time. I held out in the first trimester and treated myself to a glass once I reached the second, telling myself it would be a rare treat. But I've found myself having a glass a day now. It's the only thing that doesn't make me feel sick, make me throw up or give me heartburn. I don't understand why as it's got the nutritional value of a dirty rock. I feel awful about it, it must be pure poison to the baby but it's all I can drink without physically suffering afterwards.

I told the midwife I saw a few weeks ago and she said that it's better I drink it than nothing or than something that makes me throw up. The value of the liquid is worth more to me than the negatives of the sugar and caffeine, especially as I'm not a tea and coffee drinker. I'd drink it most of the day if I could but I can't as I feel really guilty about it. But I'm getting so fed up of feeling rancid after drinking anything else that I'm starting to find myself avoiding drinking.:(

Sorry for pocking me nose in, but I just saw this and it rang a bell with me. I was constantly thirsty in pregnancy and craved coke...so out of desperation one day I got sparkling water. I hate sparkling water outside pregnancy, could never drink it, but while pregnant I loved the stuff! Really quenched the thirst.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm finally getting to grips with the drinking thing. I find that if I don't try to eat and drink at the same time I feel better. Unless it's coke, I can eat while having a coke without trouble. I've decided to drop my guilt about it and drink it if it's what I need. I spoke to my GP about it and he said the same as the midwife, getting fluid is far more beneficial to us both than any harm the coke could possibly cause. I also looked it up and it turns out that cola syrup is a common home remedy for nausea in South America, similar to ginger here. So at least I'm not a complete freak for finding coke soothing when I feel ill.

The ice lollies are also a massive help, especially as they also knock back the heartburn after a meal. I'm also finding that the more hydrated I am, the more I can tolerate drinking. So it's now easier to have the occasional glass of white grape juice or red tea. It's still a pain in the bum at times but at least I'm finding ways to manage it. :)

In other news the baby is really starting to kick up a storm lately. I'm pretty sure I started feeling it at 15 weeks but I could go days and days between pokes and flutters. Now I feel it a few times a day. It seems to be doing the usual and getting really active when I'm in bed but I don't mind it keeping me awake yet as it's just so nice to feel it. I've also put on a belly growth spurt. I had some bad pains on Tuesday, like electric shocks ripping through me. Then I woke up Wednesday with my belly poking out further than my (fairly substantial) breasts. I got a bit of a shock to see myself in the mirror and there is no pulling it in any more. I can even feel the hardness of my uterus starting to creep up higher than my belly button, which is bit scary but good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I'm just about 11 weeks gone now.. It's gone weirdly fast so far, I suppose having a 5 & s half months old to keep ya occupied helps :) the sickness is up & down for me at the mo & the days that are bad I'm feeling really tough with trying to play & take care of N and feeling so ill at the same time :( my OH has been outta work so he's been a great help but he's heading back to full time at the end of this month & I'll be lost without him.. I feel so crap, I feel like a bad Mum cause I can't cope with my little man & being so sick & then I feel even worse for thinking 'why did this happen so soon' I'm just so exhausted and this is the easy part cause once this little one arrives the madness will really begin.. Sorry for the rant ladies I just needed to get some off my chest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all
    I am joining this board after finding out yesterday that I am expecting again. We lost our newborn girl in Nov last year due to labour complications. This time around I hope to go for a planned c-section.

I am a huge mixed bag of emotions at the moment - it's indescribable - but I am trying to stay positive! Lightning cannot strike twice!

I have not made any doctors appointments or anything yet - just letting it sink in first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Is anyone else here doing shared care with their GP? What happens on the GP appointments? Do they take bloods and do they check the heartbeat?

They will take bloods, a few times if you tell them you are tired. so they will check your iron levels. the hospital will also take your bloods.
    They will check your bump everytime you go in, have a feel around, measure it, and check the heartbeat.
    They will also check your blood pressure at every visit and usually ask about any swelling etc. They write everything into your hospital chart so make sure you have that with you each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Hi all
    I am joining this board after finding out yesterday that I am expecting again. We lost our newborn girl in Nov last year due to labour complications. This time around I hope to go for a planned c-section.

I am a huge mixed bag of emotions at the moment - it's indescribable - but I am trying to stay positive! Lightning cannot strike twice!

I have not made any doctors appointments or anything yet - just letting it sink in first

I remember your thread back in November, again, so sorry for your loss.
    Congrats on this pregnancy, hope all goes well Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi all

I remember reading your thread at the time, I can't imagine what you and your partner have been through.

Congrats and best wishes. Look forward to reading about the safe arrival of your little one in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hi all

It's funny, I was just thinking about you this morning, wondering if you were ok and still around boards!

I was very sad to hear what happened to you and your baby last year, I am very happy to hear you are expecting again. I wish you ALL THE BEST.

Thanks all.
    I remind myself all the time that no matter what the circumstances are for me being pregnant again, this new baby deserves just as much joy, love and excitement that was poured onto its big sister during my last pregnancy, so I am looking forward to the next 9 months :) Am already skulking around all the pregnancy websites, checking how big baby is etc ;) Looking forward to chatting with you all on baby stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Cunning stunt so sorry to hear about you loss but congrats on the new baby hope all is well :)

• Advertisement

Cunning I'm so very sorry for your loss last year..
    I'm so happy for you & your new bundle of joy & I have everything crossed that everything goes perfect this time for you!
    How long are you gone now? We get to go through our pregnancys again together x I'm 11 weeks now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Cunning Stunt, massive congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you & your partner! I hope you have a very healthy & happy pregnancy.

No doubt there will be a lot of fear along with joy until baby is safely in your arms, but I hope it will be mainly joy x

I think it's very early days. I reckon I am only 2-3 weeks from conception. But if we go by the usual method of counting from the first day of the last period, it would make me around 6 weeks....

Tigress congrats on your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Huge Congrats Cunning, was so sorry to read about your daughters passing last year, hope you have a happy & healthy nine months x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cunning Stunt, Congratulations on your news. :) I also remember your sad outcome last year and I'm sure that they will be keeping a very close eye on you throughout your pregnancy. I'm wishing you joy. XXX

Thank you :)

..actually now I think I am only 4 weeks -- it's so confusing! I have had a very long cycle so I think that made the difference on the due date calculator.

4 weeks, and I am already so impatient to get to full term! :D
    This is gonna be a long 9 months!

By the way, have any of you used the Chinese gender predictor calendar? Was it accurate for you? If you already have kids you can check their dates and see if it was correct. Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

By the way, have any of you used the Chinese gender predictor calendar? Was it accurate for you? If you already have kids you can check their dates and see if it was correct. Just wondering...

It told me I was having a girl but I had a boy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all

congrats delighted to hear your news!! goodluck:D

Congrats on the pregnancy, CS. I think everything you are feeling right now is natural so don't let yourself feel guilty for any sadness or apprehension you are feeling. It doesn't mean you are any less happy about this pregnancy or will love this new baby any less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hi all

Massive congratulations to you and your hubby. That's lovely news....hope everything goes well for you xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

..actually now I think I am only 4 weeks -- it's so confusing! I have had a very long cycle so I think that made the difference on the due date calculator.

Congratulations, and yes i used the calendar and it says im having a boy, and had it confirmed and im due my little man on aug 9th, good luck with your pregnancy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just did it there, and it told me it was a girl. I had a boy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I just did it there and it says I'm having a girl but I don't know the sex of the baby so we'll see if its correct or not :D

It told me that I was having a boy & I did :) I personally think it's just guess work though! It says I'm gonna have a girl this time..

I'd say the Chinese gender calender has a 50% success rate. Which, all in all, is pretty good for a fortune teller. :)

It's given me a boy based on my LMP and a girl based on the date I was given at my seven week scan.

I'd say the Chinese gender calender has a 50% success rate. Which, all in all, is pretty good for a fortune teller. :)

It's given me a boy based on my LMP and a girl based on the date I was given at my seven week scan.

Are you going to find out what you're having Iguana or wait for a surprise?

My husband is chomping at the bit to know so if baby cooperates we'll find out on Monday.

My husband is chomping at the bit to know so if baby cooperates we'll find out on Monday.

That's so exciting!! I hope baby co-operates!! Do ya have a feeling either way?

For the first few weeks we were both convinced it was a girl but then started thinking it was a boy. Now we tend to lean different ways at different times though I do have a sneaking suspicion it's a girl. And my husband says he hopes it's a girl as if it's not he's going to have to work hard at making the boy's name I like grow on him. :)

Though cheesy as it sounds mostly I just want to hear that everything looks healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just checked with my 3 and they were all wrong.. Just to add I'm not Chinese so that could be why I'm odd....

Advertisement