Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match play ruling

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Seve OB wrote: »
    But then it gets confusing cause you say you actually won the match after 18, and yet in another breath it was all square after 18 and you were going to play a rematch the next day cause it was dark.... surely you would be going down 19, not replaying the whole game????
    Since they never replayed the game, this point is moot. They may have agreed it but in order to do this they would have had to schedule it with the competition sec who could have put them right. Since it was too dark to continue, no rule was broken and it's normal enough to play the sudden death holes the next available day.
    Of course, you haven't told us the full ins and outs of the situation, so we await with bated breath your full disclosure.
    Indeed. What happened on the 7th seems to be the crux of the matter so perhaps the OP could give us a more in depth view of what happened there.

Was the match all square or not at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Senna wrote: »
    I think there is more to this story than we are being told and I'd wager that what we have been told isn't correct.

How much would you like to wager? Everything I have said so far is 100% fact.
    Long detailed explanation will follow when I get around to writing it.
    The situation has been resolved today fairly anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod note: Leave the betting talk out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

What was the fair solution ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Macker1 wrote: »

Even the term "fair solution" makes me feel the OP has not been upfront here with his info.
    He must have had a question to answer over something.

He doesbt have time to tell us the exact details yet has posted multiple times in here.

I don't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Macker1 wrote: »

The 'villan' gets to go through. But Tony gets to sleep with his wife !! :D

ForeRight wrote: »
    Even the term "fair solution" makes me feel the OP has not been upfront here with his info.
    He must have had a question to answer over something.

He doesbt have time to tell us the exact details yet has posted multiple times in here.

I don't understand it at all.

??? Thanks for jumping to conclusions I mean come on give me a break! I've stated that I have been 100% factual on this tread and that I would explain the rest. It will take hours to write out all the details and I have 2 young kids to mind but I'll get to it when I can.
    I have an a4 page written already and I'm not even half way through it.
    As I stated earlier in tread we had a funeral to attend to.
    Makes me not want to share it now to be honest
    It has been resolved fairly that I won the 7th hole but under the rules of matchplay that both of us are disqualified because we didn't go down the 19th and we both agreed to replay the game.
    This was a separate issue nothing to do with the 7th why we were disqualified

It was hardly a BenHur production on the 7th.

Just give bullet points. It would be quicker than your last post

It was hardly a BenHur production on the 7th.

Just give bullet points. It would be quicker than your last post

- he conceded hole
    - he contacted captain afterwards
    - I was contacted and told he was to retake putt and if holed deemed winner
    - I didn't agree with this.
    - I won the case but we were both disqualified

...... Hope your happy with your short bullet points and ruining it for everyone else jackass!

I can now see why people don't post these kind of things in forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

- he conceded hole

...... Hope your happy with your short bullet points and ruining it for everyone else jackass!

I think what he was really asking was what was contentious about the concession on 7? Why did he go to the captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

- he conceded hole

Surely if he made the putt then the hole would have been halved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I think what he was really asking was what was contentious about the concession on 7? Why did he go to the captain?

Think everyone is thinking the same thing, what happened before that, why did he conceded the hole and feel so upset about it he had to contact the captain.

U both took X amount of shots both drove then what happened.

Yet again you are avoiding it Tony!

Tell us what happened on 7 and what his reason was for going to the captain afterwards.
    The more you avoid this the more I think you did something wrong.

Don't forget you are the one who came on here with this problem looking for answers yet fail to give the facts. No need to get snippy calling me a jackass because you are frustrated and won't come clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

The way I read it, and this is guess work as there is a lack of detail

I suspect the 7th hole is a low index hole, and perhaps the OP's opponent had a shot on the hole.
    The opponent possibly forgot he has a shot, and conceded the hole even though, with the shot, may have had a putt to secure the half.

The opponent may have later argued to the club official that the OP was fully aware the opponent had a chance to get a half, and choose not to inform him.

Forgive me for making assumptions. I will edit/delete if I'm completely off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

??? Thanks for jumping to conclusions I mean come on give me a break! I've stated that I have been 100% factual on this tread and that I would explain the rest. It will take hours to write out all the details and I have 2 young kids to mind but I'll get to it when I can.
    I have an a4 page written already and I'm not even half way through it.
    As I stated earlier in tread we had a funeral to attend to.
    Makes me not want to share it now to be honest
    It has been resolved fairly that I won the 7th hole but under the rules of matchplay that both of us are disqualified because we didn't go down the 19th and we both agreed to replay the game.
    This was a separate issue nothing to do with the 7th why we were disqualified

what can have happened that takes that long to explain???? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

what can have happened that takes that long to explain???? :confused:

"'Twas a cold, Autumn morning. The sun was trying to break through the clouds as I merrily strolled to the 7th tee after successfully making a 10ft putt on the tricky 6th hole...."

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

DiegoWorst wrote: »
    The way I read it, and this is guess work as there is a lack of detail

I suspect the 7th hole is a low index hole, and perhaps the OP's opponent had a shot on the hole.
    The opponent possibly forgot he has a shot, and conceded the hole even though, with the shot, may have had a putt to secure the half.

The opponent may have later argued to the club official that the OP was fully aware the opponent had a chance to get a half, and choose not to inform him.

Forgive me for making assumptions. I will edit/delete if I'm completely off the mark.

I suspect that this is right also as the 7th in Dungarvan is Index 1. However, it is not the duty of the OP to highlight to his opponent that he has a shot (although one could argue that it is not in the spirit of the game if the OP let his opponent concede the hole knowing that he had a putt for a half). One thing that it doesn't seem that the OP is answering, did the opponent finish the 7th hole and then accept he lost the hole afterwards only to realise he had a shot? If the hole was finished and should have been declared a half based on the scores only for the opponent to forget his shot and incorrectly agree that he lost the hole then it could be a different matter.

Will you ever just give the exact facts OP instead of us as attempting to help you but resorting to speculation in an attempt to do this. We need to know exactly what happened on the 7th? Why did your opponent concede the 7th? Were there shots being given on this hole? Did you act ethically (which is different from acting within the rules of golf) on this hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Tony can i ask you why do you think your opponent felt that he had seek advice/guidance on what happened on the 7th??

Tony can i ask you why do you think your opponent felt that he had seek advice/guidance on what happened on the 7th??

There was no reason for him to seek advice/guidance which is why I didn't accept the clubs original decision and why I won the case. I can accept been disqualified for not going down 19. We both were unaware of this rule

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

There was no reason for him to seek advice/guidance which is why I didn't accept the clubs original decision and why I won the case. I can accept been disqualified for not going down 19. We both were unaware of this rule

Can you go through 7 on a shot by shot basis so that an objective view can be formed. You have been very cagey in your responses so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so why did the captain feel that he should retake his putt?

so why did the captain feel that he should retake his putt?

I'm actually feeling embarrassed for Tony at this stage here. Quite obviously avoiding the question every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm actually feeling embarrassed for Tony at this stage here. Quite obviously avoiding the question every time.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. want to, but yea it really does seem he is avoiding the question

opponent was the one who didn't finish out the hole, gave it away and presumably just picked up his marker. we don't even know if Tony was in the hole or not.

Tony I think the bullet points Fore was looking for should have been along the lines of

hole 7,
    index XX,
    any shots given/received?
    tee shots to fairway/rough/bunker...etc
    approach shots
    any penalty drops
    chip shots
    putts?

in for par/bogey??
    opponent with putt to tie/win?

did the opponent think he had lost the hole but really had a putt to get something out of it?

did he ask you if he was still in the hole?

did you tell him he wasn't when he really still was...... (either intentionally or unintentionally)

did he just think he had lost the hole and pick up his marker before he realised what he had done?

after all that, it obviously turns out to be irrelavant as you both got disq. but surely that was wrong as it was dark so you could clearly not continue. you should still have been allowed go down 19 the next day? or as soon as you could both agree to re-convene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I feel embarrassed for the people that actually give a crap so much that they keep questioning.
    My question is who cares?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Right lads, I'm getting a little cheesed off with this discussion for a number of reasons. Lack of clarity is one, also name calling is childish. Clear it up or its being closed off.

kiers47 wrote: »
    I feel embarrassed for the people that actually give a crap so much that they keep questioning.
    My question is who cares?:rolleyes:

I think I'll avoid this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

I think the crux of the OP's question is "should his opponent be allowed to retake a shot in a match, after the result of the match had been decided?"

The answer is NO.
    The club officer and the OP's opponent need to attend a beginner's introductory course to golf etiquette and rules.

Lesson here is to not ask half-baked questions.
    There are some missing details of the match, that when disclosed may result in a different answer to the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I think before it can be determined here whether the hole was awarded correctly to the OP it is imperative to fully understand the events leading up to the final shots taken on the hole.
    Until we do know this.......time is a wasting..

Shot by shot account is the only way we will fully be able to determine the outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Why won't OP tell us? I can't think of any situation I've had on a golf course that would take more than 15 minutes to explain in writing.

Tony with the greatest of respect i asked why do you think he felt he had to seek advice on the what happened on the 7th again you are avoiding the question spit it out man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What did you think the rule was if you were level after 18? I mean everyone knows matches go to sudden death.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Golf365

So 2 Club golfers play in their Club Matchplay & now both have been disqualified by Club Officials.
    The common denominator here is the Club, club membership is in decline and here is an example of why.There are a lot of Rules in Golf for very valid reasons but at the end of the day for most of us Golf is our Sport .
    Whatever happened on the 7th maybe shouldn't have happened and as the rules state once you concede a hole/match you move on, as it was all square on the 18th and it was too dark you decided to have a rematch. This should have been the time to contact the Club Official letting them know what you've agreed to do , they should have then said what the Rules of the competition are ie Sudden Death/Rematch*
    Tony's opposition player, who is being left out of all of the discussion !!!, went to the Captain and now the result is that both are disqualified !!! Again more mistakes made.(Although Rule 7 of this Clubs Matchplay Rules state the decisions made by the Competition Official are Final !)
    Unfortunately while it is important to adhere to the Rules of Golf and as we can see not all players and officials know them , it is more important to keep to the Spirit of the game.
    I would suggest that if whatever happened on the 7th wasn't in the Spirit of the game then all could have been avoided.
    * recently in The Bloom Cup between Killiney & Slade Valley, the last match was going to sudden death when it was decided on the 20th Hole that it was too dark, that match was replayed on another day with Killiney winning on the 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Why won't OP tell us? I can't think of any situation I've had on a golf course that would take more than 15 minutes to explain in writing.

Because he's full of **** and the quicker we stop feeding the troll, the quicker we can get back on with our lives

Dead right sir, i have informed my employer i will be back forthwith as my troll powder has run out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Trolls..on boards...no way?!

Another thread done and dusted!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement