Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Zaph wrote: »
    Smithwicks is sold on the continent as Kilkenny because of the pronunciation issue. The guys from our office in France were always mad for it when they came to Dublin, is pretty much all any of them drank. They'd always pronounce the W when ordering it.

Not sure was it the same beer they were drinking on the continent though? Maybe it was. Smithwicks i recall had a very bad rap here at the time, and for years before that. Even if you liked it, the chances of getting a nice pint were often quite iffy. Very often you'd get a flat pint, head gone after first sip etc. You'd often hear the call "pint of Smithwicks with a Guinness head, please." Anyway, i think Kilkenny was partly aimed at people who might fancy ale but just smithwicks wasn't trendy enough, and they had to pay a good bit extra for it too! Have to say too they did get their act together with smithwicks and you can generally get a good pint most places you go now. Not certain but I'd bet its market share has picked up in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

sioda wrote: »
    Michelle sparkling cider from Quinnsworth height of sophistication as it had a plastic champagne cork top 🤣
    I was just about to mention champagne cider. Laureat was another favourite brand. I have a lovely memory of sitting on my grandmother's backdoor step on a beautiful summers day, trying to shoot the cork as high as I could without spilling any of the precious alcohol. :D
    Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Club shandy, not rock shandy. Rock shandy is just a mix of club orange and club lemon, and is quite nice.

We used to think we so sophisticated and grown up aged about 11 or 12 and buying cans of club shandy thinking we were on the beer.
    Yeah, it had a brown can, possibly two different browns?

Found these:

81e7b59bf4e47a74306e6ffcae52bef2.jpgs-l500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭sully123

Grolsch in the swing top bottle.

Anyone know of Paul masson wines are still available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Presume Stag isn't around anymore? Googling brings up other, presumably unrelated drinks with the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

blackwave wrote: »
    Living in Poland currently and Sheridan's cream is actually in all the main shops

I think there's whiskey in it but somehow we never got sick even though we were nippers like 5 or 6 years old. We'd only take a swig. My mam caught us one day though and that was the end of Michael Jackson :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sully123 wrote: »

Grolsch still in the off licences. Don’t think I’ve seen it sold on draught in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I remember drinking Bass Shandy in Pontins in 1990. You could get it in cans from a vending machine. Thought I was a real mad lad at 11 years old:pac:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Shandy-24x330ml/dp/B00IZN6BRU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Has anyone mentioned Two Dogs yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Dogs

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Woodies cocktails were delicious. Always a great drink for a summer concert.

Also Stonehouse cider for cheap cidery diabetes.

I remember a drink called Stag? It was in bottles. I had a few at a party or Charlie Chawkes house many many years ago

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Two Dogs yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Dogs

Yep. Remember them from my bar man days. Early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

ShyMets wrote: »
    You're mention of Kilkenny has reminded me of McCafferys. Which was just another version of Kilkenny

I used to drink McCaffreys with a dash of black for a summer when i was about 16!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Smithwicks is sold on the continent as Kilkenny because of the pronunciation issue. The guys from our office in France were always mad for it when they came to Dublin, is pretty much all any of them drank. They'd always pronounce the W when ordering it.

Kilkenny is a nitro beer. It's probably very close to the Smithwick's recipe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Another thing you can blame that bollix Schilachi for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Mid 30's here, so ones I remember/partook in that don't seem to be popular or even available anymore -

Fat Frogs (mixing bacardi breezer orange & smirnoff ice) were all the rage when I was starting to drink
    Red Aftershock (pretty sure I'd vomit if I ever smelled that drink again)
    Sidekicks (specifically the apple ones)
    Goldslagher (and all the "science" that went with it)
    Tia Maria & Milk
    Pernod & blackcurrant (more so from my older siblings)
    Putting a straw in a bottle of blue wkd/smirnoff ice to help with downing the drink in one
    Mickey Finn's

Also anyone remember around 2004 there was a brief time you could buy single vodka shots that came in a little plastic pouch?? Bullseye
    (found this article from the time - https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0902/53955-alcohol/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Pißwasser

🙈🙉🙊

I noticed Mickey Finns in the local tesco recently. A wide range of flavours available.

As for the aftershocks - vile stuff but it didn’t stop ppl drinking them!

From memory there was a red one, a blue one and a green one ?

They all tasted like strong mouthwash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I’ll see your Labatt’s and raise you Labatt’s Ice.

Holsten used to be on the front of Spurs jerseys iirc.

Labbatts were Forest

Are snakebites still on the banned list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Are snakebites still on the banned list?

it's just a mix of cider and lager though, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember an utterly plastered and very cute French girl who was part of a group coming into our local and declaring "I want a Smith- wicks" several times very loudly before they were thrown out. It was memorable for the fact that I rarely see French people that pissed and her pronunciation of it.

it's just a mix of cider and lager though, no?

Yep. But you could never ask for a snakebite, you’d have to ask for a lager and a cider and do it yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Scrumpy jack, its prob been said already but that stuff was vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Furstenberg was lovely. A little bite like lime . Someone said earlier in the thread it was strong.
    I can't remember so maybe it was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Scrumpy jack, its prob been said already but that stuff was vile.

God I loved Scrumpy Jack. The cans were everywhere, but if you found a pub with it on tap, it was like finding El Dorado. The bar in the old Ormond Multimedia Centre on Ormond Quay in Dublin used to have it. There's no way I could drink it now.

We used to get this cider called Genuine Hornet Scrumpy in the offie. Cheap as chips, tasted vile and was 6%. Had a indeterminate cartoon insect on the can. Every time we'd buy it, the guy behind the counter would say "Ah! It puts a bee in your bonnet!" and roar laughing, like it was the most hilarious thing ever.

15183.jpg

Pernod & blackcurrant (more so from my older siblings)
    A friend of mine used to drink that. Terrible stuff! I mean...why would you ruin alcohol by putting blackcurrant in it? :confused:

A lad I went to college with drank it too. He called it the testicle-shrinker. :D

God I loved Scrumpy Jack. The cans were everywhere, but if you found a pub with it on tap, it was like finding El Dorado. The bar in the old Ormond Multimedia Centre on Ormond Quay in Dublin used to have it. There's no way I could drink it now.
    I think The Foggy Dew used to have that on tap too. And they definitely had Newcastle Brown Ale on draught when very few others did.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_goat wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a nitro beer. It's probably very close to the Smithwick's recipe though.

It is, but what I've seen sold as Kilkenny in a pub in Paris definitely wasn't a nitro beer, it looked just like Smithwicks. Didn't taste it, but all the French guys I was with loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

seamus wrote: »
    I think it's still around, but you don't see it much in pubs anymore - Kilkenny.

For reasons beyond my comprehension, it is widely available on draught in New Zealand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

sully123 wrote: »

Jeez..the Grolsch brings me back..

I remember an ad for Paul Masson, I think it was marketed as Californian carafe .. dreadful stuff...

I remember most mentioned already but also Rolling Rock beer when it came in on the wave of bland bottled "beers" like Corona etc...

Advertisement