Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic Drinks from yesteryear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Feisar wrote: »
    There was a reason everyone was home brewing.

The home brew deserves a thread of its own. Starting it off and letting it do its thing till its time to bottle, then waiting for it to mature. Give it a week then see is it drinkable. Could be better, leave another day or two, try another one, its improving. Rinse and repeat till, round about the last bottle, do you know this is not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What was the little round green bottle that had a prancing fawn on it? Am I imagining that it had a red nose? Ladies in their furs out for a girls night used order it? I vaguely remember a TV ad with it prancing thought a forest at night?....

occasionally used see it on the bottom shelf in country pubs & always have flashbacks! You’d serve it with a wine glass(only!).

You’d often get regulars (older retired couples) and the woman would have that and a pint for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What was the little round green bottle that had a prancing fawn on it? Am I imagining that it had a red nose? Ladies in their furs out for a girls night used order it? I vaguely remember a TV ad with it prancing thought a forest at night?....

occasionally used see it on the bottom shelf in country pubs & always have flashbacks! You’d serve it with a wine glass(only!).

Babycham.

e191e3eb7c0df3f398ef9b7de2675fb3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ignited Sambuca was the rage in our group when we got full of pints. Always one nut job that tried to drink it without extinguishing the flame.

Babycham.

e191e3eb7c0df3f398ef9b7de2675fb3.jpg

OMG !!! Yes!!!! And there’s the prancing bambi!!! Bottle shape changed a bit - I LOVE the glass - never seen that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mick121 wrote: »
    Bottles of Carlsberg special brew 9% if I remember correctly

Bottled in Guinness-branded (embossed harp) pint bottles at one stage in my drinking lifetime (albeit very, very early in it).

Carlsberg Export had a few goes as being a "premium" lager here actually, silver cans, 5%, presumably the same product as is sold as just Carlsberg/Hof in Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm a Pernod and black man myself..

Old school keep it simple!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Widely available and consumed up North.
    And in Tbilisi randomly when we were over for one of the numerous Ireland matches there recently! (Harp)

Caffreys was really popular in the bar I worked in in Manchester a couple of years ago. Don't know if it was much of a thing at home

Widely available and consumed up North.

Hop House 13 took its tap placements in most of ROI - except for bits of Louth/Donegal

And the River Bar at O'Connell Bridge in Dublin, at least last time I was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭sully123

Anyone else remember No.1 brew around 1999?
    I think a fire finished off the business.
    Very nice beer.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/No-1-Brew-Natural-Lager-in-Ireland-Beer-Coasters-Lot-of-2-Best-Irish-Lager-/233497288956

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

afro man wrote: »
    I Worked in A company years ago which handled Bulmer shipments
    they gave us a good few cases of Bulmers pear to try when it was released . lets just say me and my colleagues can relate to your story

As someone with IBS I needed no more than two to encourage unnatural movements

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tenants draught is (was?) available in 90% of bars in donegal

sully123 wrote: »
    Anyone else remember No.1 brew around 1999?
    I think a fire finished off the business.
    Very nice beer.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/No-1-Brew-Natural-Lager-in-Ireland-Beer-Coasters-Lot-of-2-Best-Irish-Lager-/233497288956

Weirdly I assumed they just shut down, but the ex head brewer confirms that here

https://toit.in/qa-with-the-brewer/

BobMc wrote: »
    Is Vodka and Red Bull still a thing ??
    Getting 2 vodkas, one red bull in a pint glass shouted at me brings me back to working at the nightclub at home during the Celtic Tiger! Making the fat frogs another one. 15.60 for less than 2 pints of mainly sugar!

Started off on devil's bit or smirnoff ice if we had more pounds to spend.
    Never liked shots, well after I vomited up all the baby guinesses I drank on my 17th.
    Went through a phase of Tia Maria and milk( in a pub) to wash down a couple of yokes in the late 90s early 00s..jesus what were we thinking..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seamus wrote: »
    I went through a 2-3 year phase of drinking vodka and blackcurrant. Undiluted blackcurrant cordial that is.

Basically because in a 50:50 ratio it's equally strong blackcurrant taste and strong vodka taste, so they kind of cancel each other out.
    Ribena not MiWadi

Ribena has sugar. Dense, feel the warmth as it slides down.

Vodka with a dash of ... soda or white.

Would be squirted out of a ‘gun’ with about 6 buttons you would press on the back to dash various options . God help you if you pressed the wrong button as the drink would be wrong and have to be comped and a new to replace it.

People were always changing their dashes as they figured the trick or ran short of money at the end of the night - we were all on strict orders ALWAYS to repeat the dash order back for confirmation.

A dash cost about 40p and - (little) bottle of mixer cost about 1.10 Not only is a dash a thing of the past I don’t think Soda Cream exists anymore!!!

Dash options: (cream) soda, white (lemonade), red(lemonade), tonic (water), sparkling water, (very rare) & ‘real’ water! I forget the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

If I remember correctly the nanny state taxes killed it stone dead - they announced a tax on alcopops and cider and pushed fat frogs up to and aometimes beyond a fiver for a 330ml bottle and Smirnoff Ice was tipping close to nine quid. Kiss of death for it for most students pockets.

Unlikely. I used to pay about 1.20 + vat for a bottle of Smirnoff Ice cost price. Sell for 5.50. Wish everyone would drink it but you'd sell 1 a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

L1011 wrote: »
    Hop House 13 took its tap placements in most of ROI - except for bits of Louth/Donegal

And the River Bar at O'Connell Bridge in Dublin, at least last time I was in it.

There's a pub in Waterford with just 4 taps: Harp, Smithwicks, Pints of Guinness and half pint Guinness.
    Vodka with a dash of ... soda or white.

Would be squirted out of a ‘gun’ with about 6 buttons you would press on the back to dash various options . God help you if you pressed the wrong button as the drink would be wrong and have to be comped and a new to replace it.

People were always changing their dashes as they figured the trick or ran short of money at the end of the night - we were all on strict orders ALWAYS to repeat the dash order back for confirmation.

A dash cost about 40p and - (little) bottle of mixer cost about 1.10 Not only is a dash a thing of the past I don’t think Soda Cream exists anymore!!!

We have those Splash guns installed but they haven't been used in years. They're no cheaper than bottles and they're a nightmare to maintain. We had Cola, Soda, Lemonade & an energy drink. Might have had a fizzy orange too. Can still get the syrups from Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Perno hex. mighty stuff. recalled i think. got a t shirt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TNT was a cider in a smallish bottle shaped like a stick of dynamite - sort of.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

BobMc wrote: »
    Is Vodka and Red Bull still a thing ??

Think so, but if you really want rocket fuel you go for the Green Diesel

Double vodka, Red Bull and a WKD Blue in one pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone remember Thunderbirds? Or Bols Advocaat? The yellow creamy drink topped up with sparkling water to make a sno-bols? Takes me back to Xmas in the 1980s.
    Or the draught guinness in bottles? Or that Guinness produced drink called Brú that was out briefly in the late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I spent college drinking Ritz.

"Ritz...a perry"

My first 'going out' drink as I took a notion that I didn't like cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anyone remember Thunderbirds? Or Bols Advocaat? The yellow creamy drink topped up with sparkling water to make a sno-bols? Takes me back to Xmas in the 1980s.
    Or the draught guinness in bottles? Or that Guinness produced drink called Brú that was out briefly in the late 90s.

I worked in a pub on/off for 4 years that had a bottle of advocaat behind the till. The level was the exact same the day i left the place, was never opened the time i was there

"Ritz...a perry"

My first 'going out' drink as I took a notion that I didn't like cider.

Ritz is still around, or was until fairly recently.

Remember when the only way to buy take away beer was in pint bottles or a 6 pack (6 stubby half pint bottles)?
    No cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

rje66 wrote: »
    Colt 45..... and of course Blue Nun , Black Tower etc

Mate of mine was at a wedding reception held over a pub in Kildare in the 80's. The waiter came over to the table armed with a bottle of wine in each hand; instead of asking 'red or white?' he offered 'Black or Blue?' -True story.

Advertisement