05-11-2020, 20:00   #46
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Wipe on plenty. Leave it for 10 minutes, and wipe off excess.
Leave it in a warm room for 3 hours, and apply another coat, leave for 10 minutes, and wipe off excess.
leave in a warm room for 12 hours, and apply another coat, not excessively.
Leave for 12 hours and apply another coat, not excessively, rinse repeat every 12 hours as desired.

Yes its danish oil only on that piece, and if you are polishing yew, you should get a similar finish after 7-8 coats.

But other timbers may require more coats, depending on density of timber.

What are you polishing??
nothing fancy or anything I've just used it on bits and pieces I've made. Mostly timber I've planed and sanded from rough wood myself, softwoods usually but recently a bit of mahogany Usually I use it for colour and then overcoat it with spray laquer.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-11-2020, 20:01   #47
Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynf View Post
Personally I would try to stay as close as possible to manufacturers recommended blade & kerf size, my thinking would be that it would be best to use a similar blade to what the saws motor rating, torque and rpm were designed for. 1-2 mm either way should not make much of a difference, I would try and keep the kerf size the same.

If the saw manufacturer is a bit saucy on the pricing, there are plenty of third party manufacturers like Trend and Freud etc, that would have an exact match of a blade. Have a look here.
Thanks for that link. https://www.sautershop.com/circular-...4-set-3x254-30 is exactly what I was looking for.
06-11-2020, 20:30   #48
magicbastarder

how do you store a chainsaw? as in, which orientation?
i've always stored mine sitting flat, but there's no issue with the oil draining out if you were to hang it up by the handle, is there?
06-11-2020, 21:35   #49
JayZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
i've always stored mine sitting flat, but there's no issue with the oil draining out if you were to hang it up by the handle, is there?
It might weep bar oil a bit depending on how the pump works, but just leave the scabbard on it and it’ll generally be fine.
Thanks from:
06-11-2020, 22:13   #50
MickeyShtyles

Quote:
Normally just leave them under the bench on their flat. Usually a small bit of leakage. Their used often enough there’s not much.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2020, 08:30   #51
kadman

How many of you woodturners out there are using grinders with CBN wheels.

Is there a supplier in Ireland, or UK. Any advice welcome, thanks.

K
07-11-2020, 14:16   #52
Calahonda52

Quote:
long term storage
I drain the petrol 100% and run it till it stops, then remove the plug and spray a bit of lube oil in and pull the cord a few times.
I put and old cloth under it, stored flat
Thanks from:
07-11-2020, 17:00   #53
bamayang

Anyone know if the carpentry store are open at the minute or will they be after level 5?
24-11-2020, 21:23   #54
magicbastarder

one thing i need to get is a rubber mat to stand on out in the shed, when you're turning you tend to spend a lot of time standing without an awful lot of moving around.

i was thinking an agricultural supply place would be the best place to go looking for something like that?
Advertisement
24-11-2020, 21:25   #55
Doctors room ghost

Quote:
one thing i need to get is a rubber mat to stand on out in the shed, when you're turning you tend to spend a lot of time standing without an awful lot of moving around.

i was thinking an agricultural supply place would be the best place to go looking for something like that?

Keep eye on DoneDeal for a lad selling cow mats from a cubical.one of them would be perfect
Thanks from:
24-11-2020, 22:21   #56
magicbastarder

cheers; twice in the last year or two i've had inflammation in my second toe (on both feet) and only in the second toe; the first time was on a very cold night so i thought it might have been chilblains, but it happened again recently. so i suspect it's just a circulation thing, i probably need to walk around a bit every half hour or so.
24-11-2020, 22:32   #57
the_pen_turner

Quote:

the ones for horses are thicker and softer
Thanks from:
24-11-2020, 23:52   #58
MickeyShtyles

Quote:

I have astroturf on mine. I got a roll of it for nothing. It’s painful stuff to keep clean, but it feels nice on a the feet.
27-11-2020, 21:16   #59
magicbastarder

lidl have lathes in stock again.

i learned of a new way of holding the tool, simply from the packaging.

i think that is a 'i'm going to stand as physically far away from this POS machine as i can' grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (111.7 KB, 218 views)
(3) thanks from:
27-11-2020, 21:48   #60
JayZeus

German quality. RIP.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size