Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this generation weaker emotionally than the previous one?

Options
  • 13-12-2019 6:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

The "snowflake" generation as they call it, do you agree? I'm a millenial and talked to people who lived in the 60s and 70s, they seem to mostly agree.

Could we not attribute it to a rising population of people? There were three billion 50 years ago and now 7 billion. They'll always be a percentage of people in a society who can't handle life so more people on earth will mean more of these statistically speaking as they'll be the same percentage of a higher number.

Also social media/the media highlights the worst of the worst. 50 years ago, you wouldn't here of the worst behaving people across the world just in your locale.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

What does "this generation" mean? 10 year olds, 30 year olds, 50 year olds?

Young teens and adults (16-25). Anyone born after 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Which generation are you Mr F?

Because they're WOKE? OP, you COULD have had the makings of a good thread. You flubbed it. 3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Young teens and adults (16-25). Anyone born after 1990.

So young people. I'm an aul one and people that age have always been over emotional drama llamas, it's just they have an outlet to share their thoughts that previous generations didn't have. It's an age thing mostly, mentally you're still developing for your teens and early 20's. They will grow out of it, they always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The "snowflake" generation as they call it, do you agree? I'm a millenial and talked to people who lived in the 60s and 70s, they seem to mostly agree.

Could we not attribute it to a rising population of people? There were three billion 50 years ago and now 7 billion. They'll always be a percentage of people in a society who can't handle life so more people on earth will mean more of these statistically speaking as they'll be the same percentage of a higher number.

Also social media/the media highlights the worst of the worst. 50 years ago, you wouldn't here of the worst behaving people across the world just in your locale.

OK Boomer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I can't wait till I reach the age where I can lament how soft the youth of the day are and blather on about how much tougher we had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I feel i am much weaker than everyone else. That is all i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think parents molly coddle to a much greater extent so teenagers are more dependent.

We were all sensitive though as we muddled our way through teenage angst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think people are more comfortable talking about their feelings these days and that can only be a good thing. Social media also makes it seem like it is going on a lot more whereas previously we wouldn't have heard as much about it.

I'd go in to more detail but I don't think the thread is going to last very long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I’m almost in my 60s and I think the people aged between 35-50 are far softer than the young people who came after them.

Young people are active politically, they don’t drink as much as people used to and they look after their health far more than older people.

Men aged 35-50 are weak from indulging their urges constantly and consistently. Their fat fingers yellow from smoking fags, their fat arses oozing over their smelly worn recliners as they inhale yet another disgusting takeaway lathered with creams and sauces washed down with cheap cans of lager. Their fat double chins and fat tits jiggling as they laugh obnoxiously at episodes of Top Gear, their yellow teeth bared like a chimpanzee’s.

It’s people like this who take pride in themselves on being “blokes” and “real men” even though they have so little testosterone their stubble grows in in little patches. Lazy, fat, weak men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

OSI wrote: »
    Despite supposedly being the “emotionally stronger” generations, older folk sure are obsessed with how the “snowflake” generation think and perceive the world around them.

More like emotionally repressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’m almost in my 60s and I think the people aged between 35-50 are far softer than the young people who came after them.

Young people are active politically, they don’t drink as much as people used to and they look after their health far more than older people.

Men aged 35-50 are weak from indulging their urges constantly and consistently. Their fat fingers yellow from smoking fags, their fat arses oozing over their smelly worn recliners as they inhale yet another disgusting takeaway lathered with creams and sauces washed down with cheap cans of lager. Their fat double chins and fat tits jiggling as they laugh obnoxiously at episodes of Top Gear, their yellow teeth bared like a chimpanzee’s.

It’s people like this who take pride in themselves on being “blokes” and “real men” even though they have so little testosterone their stubble grows in in little patches. Lazy, fat, weak men.

Did you get a horn writing that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

More like emotionally repressed.

Actually this is probably the crux of the matter. Previous generations were brought up to just get on with things and not complain, particularly men. I'd imagine a lot of older men can't talk about their feelings because they'd feel ashamed or weak.

Did you get a horn writing that

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Yes the teenagers now and early 20s are weak in every sense.

Crying about everything, out protesting about abortion, climate change and gay marriage.

Dying their hair green and purple (even the "males" are doing it)

Its gone to the dogs and most ppl will agree with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think people of older generations are weaker emotionally. Repression of feelings isn't strength, it's a cowardice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Actually this is probably the crux of the matter. Previous generations were brought up to just get on with things and not complain, particularly men. I'd imagine a lot of older men can't talk about their feelings because they'd feel ashamed or weak.

Pretty much.

From conversing with older men, there's a certain facade there but after a while that gets eroded away gradually.

It's simply the way they were brought up.

Us men, well a lot of men, are just like that though. I certainly think there's a lot to be said for being stoic in certain situations but I really feel you have to be clued in emotionally as well. It's just more healthy in the long run.

No.

Impotent ?

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »

Crying about everything, out protesting about abortion, climate change and gay marriage.

Its gone to the dogs and most ppl will agree with me

I disagree with you emphatically.

Climate change is the most important issue concerning the human species right now and it’s correct that young people are out protesting the ambivalence shown towards it by the elites.

This website is full of middle aged climate change deniers who think that they’re showing how savvy they are by declaring that climate change is just a ruse to raise taxes. They think proclamations that “sure they’re only after your money” through their sweaty jowls actually makes people think that they are canny and clued-in political commentators. Weak men running away from the problem.

Impotent ?

Your auld lady didn’t think so last night, she was able to count my pulse on the ****ing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I disagree with you emphatically.

Climate change is the most important issue concerning the human species right now and it’s correct that young people are out protesting the ambivalence shown towards it by the elites.

This website is full of middle aged climate change deniers who think that they’re showing how savvy they are by declaring that climate change is just a ruse to raise taxes. They think proclamations that “sure they’re only after your money” through their sweaty jowls actually makes people think that they are canny and clued-in political commentators. Weak men running away from the problem.

Putting a roof over ones head on an working mans wage

A health service that works when you get sick

A place for your child in a school local to you

Things that actually matter

Climate change is for the ones who have very little else to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’d imagine the vast majority of people of either sex just don’t want to talk about their feelings. I don’t think it’s that they can’t, it’s that they just don’t want to, and not because they’d feel ashamed or weak, but simply because they don’t want to express their feelings in the way a small minority of people think they should.

Your auld lady didn’t think so last night, she was able to count my pulse on the ****ing thing.

Good for her, lucky to have someone woke to be hoppin off her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I’d imagine the vast majority of people of either sex just don’t want to talk about their feelings. I don’t think it’s that they can’t, it’s that they just don’t want to, and not because they’d feel ashamed or weak, but simply because they don’t want to express their feelings in the way a small minority of people think they should.
    I kinda agree with this but maybe a slightly different way of looking at it.
    I'm 38 and can and do talk about my feelings....sometimes. i dont have an urge to share everything but its not from a fear of looking weak or vulnerable. And this assumption that older men dont talk because they are embarrassed is what bugs me.
    Some people like to work things out on their own. Some people can let things go easily. I personally dont need to let everyone know my every feeling.
    And i think a lot of my friends of similar age are the same. With all my good friends i have had deep and meaningful conversation throughout our whole lives.
    And we also have kept stum about a lot of things.
    I'm not saying its better but i dont think its wrong or harmful to some people not to talk about your feelings if you dont want to.
    And these types of people i don't find as frequently in the younger generation

Every generation thinks that the youth of the day are away with the fairies.

They will grow up and (hopefully) form their own opinions. Social media and fake news have a lot to answer for.

Having spent some time with a group of secondary school students recently, I’m of the opinion that they’re no different to their counterparts of previous generations. They will mature and the rosy scales will fall from their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That sounds a joke made by somebody who enjoys Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Andrew00 wrote: »

Ah the stoic elder, bravely complaining about the new hair dye colours they have now. Unflappable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Life toughens you up, the school of hard knocks will do the same to the younger ones, so that when they’re ould wans they’ll be tough too. Leave them to enjoy their snowflakery as just like real snow.... it won’t last long.

Advertisement