Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigger women - secretly liked

• 13-12-2019 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

I'd really like if this could not turn into a fatty bashing thread but I won't hold my breath. So I'm a size 16-18 myself and while I'd definitely like to be toned and less wobbly, I'm not too bothered about my actual size, though my self esteem tends to fluctuate. I actually prefer bigger women myself. I used to be on this feeder website and I was really surprised how many men loved chubby and bigger women. So my question is, do you think it's not as rare as we're led to believe and that some men secretly like bigger women but it's not acceptable in society to say so?

Comments

Marilyn Monroe was a size 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Every holes a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

No acceptable to say so ? I never knew it was unacceptable for someone to say they liked curvy women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A US size 16, that's a 12 here. She was very slender before she died.

A US size 16, that's a 12 here. She was very slender before she died.

I think ours are bigger not smaller eg 10 us is 12 uk

Fairly sure she wasn't size 16 either way tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

"Give me a black goddess sister I can't resist her.
    No stringy haired blonde
    Hair blue eyed pale skinned buttermilk complexion. Grafted recessive
    Depressive ironing board backside straight up and straight down.

No frills no thrills Miss six o'clock subject to have the itch mutanoid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

Yeah I think that was a myth about Marilyn Monroe. Maybe sizing has changed since but she was definitely not a size 16 as it measures now. Though that varies from shop to shop.

I guess maybe it's more along the lines of making jokes about taking the fat one home from the nightclub but not wanting anyone to know kind of thing. That sort of "shame".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think ours are bigger not smaller eg 10 us is 12 uk

Fairly sure she wasn't size 16 either way tho

You're right, I'm not fully functioning today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The softer the cushion, the better the pushin' :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

If I'm honest I'm partial to a curvy woman, no qualms with a bit of a belly and a chubby bum. It's very sexy.

But there's a line... That woman that was flouted as the face of obese is beautiful and made it in all the magazines, no, just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My mother had this saying as God made them he matched them, everyone has different tastes. The bit I can't figure out is why this is supposed to be some sort of secret or a revelation.

Don Joe wrote: »
    If I'm honest I'm partial to a curvy woman, no qualms with a bit of a belly and a chubby bum. It's very sexy.

But there's a line... That woman that was flouted as the face of obese is beautiful and made it in all the magazines, no, just no.

Yeah I suppose I was thinking along the lines of maybe not bigger than a size 22-24ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Alecto wrote: »
    I'd really like if this could not turn into a fatty bashing thread but I won't hold my breath. So I'm a size 16-18 myself and while I'd definitely like to be toned and less wobbly, I'm not too bothered about my actual size, though my self esteem tends to fluctuate. I actually prefer bigger women myself. I used to be on this feeder website and I was really surprised how many men loved chubby and bigger women. So my question is, do you think it's not as rare as we're led to believe and that some men secretly like bigger women but it's not acceptable in society to say so?

Do you mean "chubby and bigger" compared to the average in society or compared to what is medically considered a healthy amount of body fat? Because a very large percentage of people in Ireland (male and female) are overweight nowadays anyway. Skinny people are less skinny, overweight people are more overweight and there are more people at the extremes of obesity too. If the trend continues, it can't be taboo for much longer to be into bigger women because they'll make up the majority of women. That's if it's even taboo to begin with of course. I'll leave it to someone else to open a thread on the dad bod...

mariaalice wrote: »
    My mother had this saying as God made them he matched them, everyone has different tastes. The bit I can't figure out is why this is supposed to be some sort of secret or a revelation.

But then why do we rarely see a fat person on tv or in films? Why are most people only considered attractive if they are thin? Different strokes for different folks for sure but it seems like as long as you're not fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

But then why do we rarely see a fat person on tv or in films? Why are most people only considered attractive if they are thin? Different strokes for different folks for sure but it seems like as long as you're not fat.

Plenty of ugly skinny fckers. :)

limnam wrote: »
    Plenty of ugly skinny fckers. :)

Faces matter a lot more to me than bodies so I'm always confused by this. I know people have different tastes but it's like as long as you're thin you can be on tv and face doesn't seem to matter half as much.

Yeah I suppose I was thinking along the lines of maybe not bigger than a size 22-24ish.

I'd be thinking cut off 18-20.

I dunno. I'll get killed for this, but my personal preference is for a woman who still looks... Womanly, if she's got extra pounds.. Or stone, that's no issue once she's still shapely, boobs much larger than belly.. Some larger people lose shape if that makes sense.

Not all size 16s or 18s are the same shape, some are sexy as could be, others are just large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Faces matter a lot more to me than bodies so I'm always confused by this. I know people have different tastes but it's like as long as you're thin you can be on tv and face doesn't seem to matter half as much.

Thats not true, years ago i was friendly with a girl in work who was large but tall enought to carry it off, also very beautiful and very elegant the nails, hair makeup was always done going in to pubs men would turn around and look at her.

Beauty is a big factor and that is down to genetics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From my observations anyway I've noted that a fair majority of men, Irish men anyway, seem to prefer bigger women and boobs are a near obsession. :D When I say bigger I mean from 14-20 kinda range. Small framed women not so much and what we might see as "curvy" might be "fat" to say a Czech chap. As a very general rule anyway.
    Alecto wrote:
    The camera tends to add perceived weight and thin tends to wear clothes better on camera(or clothes are made with thinner people in mind). Plus media will tend to reflect more of the current cultural ideal than everyday life. I've read that one reason thinner people started to feature more on TV and in flims was when more nude and sex scenes came along and thinner bodies look better naked. Though I don't buy that as long before nude scenes were a regular thing in film actors of both sexes were still thin, though people were thinner on average in general anyway.

As for Marilyn Monroe, at her biggest she was more like a size 12, but more usually a size 8-10 and with a tiny waist. As well as getting heavier people's bodyshapes have changed too. We've got generally taller and broader and hourglass figures in women are a lower percentage in the population compared to 50 or a 100 years ago. We're also fatter at younger ages. Middle aged spread tends to happen before actual middle age. In the English speaking world moreso. EG in Spain and Italy women of 20 are smaller by a couple of sizes on average than Irish and British women, but by 40, all match up more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That is a tragic read. Though I suppose it's been covered in the media alot.
    I had to Google 'apocryphal' so a new word learned today. I never knew there was a size 2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Sexiness comes in all shapes and sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

From my own personal experience I’ve been both a size 6 and a size 16 as an adult, so very different ends of the spectrum and I feel most confident & get the most attention from the opposite sex when I’m between a size 10/12.

My confidence was on the floor when I was at the bigger end of the scale which might have been why men didn’t approach me as much. So I can’t really say whether men didn’t like me cause of my size or whether they could smell my insecurity a mile off.
    When I was on the smaller end I looked very sickly, to the point where it was regularly remarked upon. People genuinely thought I was suffering from a serious illness.

I’m a size 10 now and quite happy at that, though I’d rather be more toned but it’s a work in progress.

I do think confidence is the most important thing, regardless of size if you are comfortable and happy in yourself that will shine through and make you more attractive.

Wibbs wrote: »
    From my observations anyway I've noted that a fair majority of men, Irish men anyway, seem to prefer bigger women and boobs are a near obsession. :D

I'll raise my hand here. 14-20. She must be booby :)

Always perplexed when i see larger women with virtually no boobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I’d tea bag a fatty but I wouldn’t marry one, if ya get me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Keep it natural. You grow naturally, enjoy your life and be healthy.

Real women are more than just their dress size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm a big person married to a big person. I don't care if every single person on the planet thinks I'm a big fat disgusting pig, the only opinion that matters is my other half. Once he likes me as much as I fancy him it's happy days. Personally I have no issue with size, some of the sexiest people I ever met were packing a few pounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cjmc wrote: »
    That is a tragic read. Though I suppose it's been covered in the media alot.
    I had to Google 'apocryphal' so a new word learned today. I never knew there was a size 2 !
    Size 2 is IIRC around an Irish size 6/8? This bit stood out for me: The average American woman in the 1950s had a 25 inch waist compared to Monroe’s 22 inches. Whereas today, the average American woman has a waist size of 34 inches 34 inches? Jaysus. Unless she's 6'4...

And yep Ms Monroe was not even close to being a "bigger woman"

marilyn-monroe2.jpg

Marilyn+Monroe+%252826%2529.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    From my own personal experience I’ve been both a size 6 and a size 16 as an adult, so very different ends of the spectrum and I feel most confident & get the most attention from the opposite sex when I’m between a size 10/12.

My confidence was on the floor when I was at the bigger end of the scale which might have been why men didn’t approach me as much. So I can’t really say whether men didn’t like me cause of my size or whether they could smell my insecurity a mile off.
    When I was on the smaller end I looked very sickly, to the point where it was regularly remarked upon. People genuinely thought I was suffering from a serious illness.

I’m a size 10 now and quite happy at that, though I’d rather be more toned but it’s a work in progress.

I do think confidence is the most important thing, regardless of size if you are comfortable and happy in yourself that will shine through and make you more attractive.

I think I've never thought to myself "oh god, no one will have sex with me because I'm fat" so if I met someone in a pub I'd be flirtatious and friendly and outgoing. But then again I'd have drink in me too and be done up and that's part of it. I suppose I've thought that casual sex wouldn't be a problem as a larger woman but I think it could hold me back in finding a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I like tall and slim. Rarely would I like curvey. To me, it's associated with lack of excercise and/or potential health issues and that's for everyone, not just the opposite sex, obviously.

I have always had an athletic build but recently because a bit fat, especually on the belly. So I hit the gym. Still trying to work off the belly but getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

As for Marilyn Monroe, at her biggest she was more like a size 12, but more usually a size 8-10 and with a tiny waist.

"D'ya know why they call that 'a waist'? You'd 'aisily fit another pair of tits there"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Give me a bigger woman over the skinny instagram star wannabes any day of the week.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm a big person married to a big person. I don't care if every single person on the planet thinks I'm a big fat disgusting pig, the only opinion that matters is my other half.
    Exactly. I don't get this near anger with some about whether someone is too fat or thin for them. So what? Nobody's asking you to marry them or anything.

Now to be honest, I can see why someone might get wound up if they met someone and after a few years of being "settled" they, man or woman, piled on the pounds. Barring illness or a medical condition of course. And I've seen it happen in men and women, slightly more men actually and men have no excuse, again barring illness, to be sporting a hairy space hopper gut at 40, when they were thin/normal at 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Sexiness comes in all shapes and sizes.

yes, yes he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Now to be honest, I can see why someone might get wound up if they met someone and after a few years of being "settled" they, man or woman, piled on the pounds. Barring illness or a medical condition of course. And I've seen it happen in men and women, slightly more men actually and men have no excuse, again barring illness, to be sporting a hairy space hopper gut at 40, when they were thin/normal at 20.

The reverse can apply too. My sister watches a lot of a particular programme about morbidly obese people who get gastric bypass surgery. In a significant number of cases (particularly where the patient is female, for some reason), it's very clear that the partner is *not* happy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not really though. Even her biggest inch measurements weren’t bigger than today’s size 12 on the hips and size 8-10 on the waist.

She was clearly never overweight. You just had to look at her to know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

What the f is a feeder website dare I ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://youtu.be/X53ZSxkQ3Ho

Sir-Mix-A-Lot says it best!!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The reverse can apply too. My sister watches a lot of a particular programme about morbidly obese people who get gastric bypass surgery. In a significant number of cases (particularly where the patient is female, for some reason), it's very clear that the partner is *not* happy about it.
    Oh yeah, I know a guy who left an ex because she lost a load of weight. Or at least that was a big part of it. He has always preferred bigger women, obese even. That's his thing and fair enough.

In some cases I suspect one reason for partners not being happy at weight loss or any improvement in general attractiveness in their other half is a concern that the other person now appears to have more options and might leave them. Doubly so if they were more matched in weight and the like at the start and one has changed in quite a big way by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Size 2 is IIRC around an Irish size 6/8? This bit stood out for me: The average American woman in the 1950s had a 25 inch waist compared to Monroe’s 22 inches. Whereas today, the average American woman has a waist size of 34 inches 34 inches? Jaysus. Unless she's 6'4...

And yep Ms Monroe was not even close to being a "bigger woman"

marilyn-monroe2.jpg

Marilyn+Monroe+%252826%2529.jpg

US 2 is supposed to be an irish/uk size 6 but in my experience its definitely bigger, more like an 8-10. Yeah she had a pretty normal figure for the time I'd say. I have no idea why she is considered to be big at all, must be the boobs and the fact that she doesn't look like she starved herself to that size. That second pic looks just like the average movie star size today, except less toned maybe. I don't think that was expected of women back then?

Average waist size 34 inches?! That's crazy and certainly not something I notice on a daily basis. I know people think the US is full of obese people but most people that
    I see are normal sized or super fit. I guess the super obese people skew the figures somewhat but how do they arrive at these "averages" anyway?

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/X53ZSxkQ3Ho

Sir-Mix-A-Lot says it best!!
    Joke is the women in that video are size 8's if that and very athletic as dancers are and compared to the huge arse instagram dolly birds of today and by comparison to that family of inflated arsed eejits whose da became their ma, they're near anorexic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was 11.5 stone at 5’ 3”, my waist measured 32”. I was BMI 27-28 if I recall. And I fit comfortably into airline seats and whatnot. 34” isn’t as ginormous as you’re imagining! I lost weight and my waist was then 28”. It wasn’t a dramatic reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'd concur :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

When I was 11.5 stone at 5’ 3”, my waist measured 32”. I was BMI 27-28 if I recall. And I fit comfortably into airline seats and whatnot. 34” isn’t as ginormous as you’re imagining! I lost weight and my waist was then 28”. It wasn’t a dramatic reduction.

My leg length is about 34 inches, I'm trying to imagine my leg made into a circle and it seems pretty big tbh . But I accept that my scientific method could be totally wrong!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That second pic looks just like the average movie star size today, except less toned maybe. I don't think that was expected of women back then?
    Yeah the toned women's bodies thing really took off after the aerobics/fitness fad of the 80's(feel the burn!) and kept going. The 90's focus on six pack stomachs really added to it, even today with the big arses thing the stomach(and legs) tends to be toned as well. The gym craze escaping the minority pursuit plugged into that. Back in Monroe's time and before women's ideal was small of frame, hourglass figure, but still soft of curve and womanly. Which I suppose these days be actually harder to achieve? Even in the 60's with Twiggy and the like where "thin was in" they weren't sporting muscles.

Men's ideal has shifted too. OK it's not as extreme as the 80's steroided up action hero with muscles under their eyebrows, but it's definitely more toned and muscled. Though in general men's bodyshape ideal varies significantly less than women's over time and culture. A "Miss World" winner of the 50's or 60's wouldn't get past the local heats today. Would Marilyn be nearly so popular a sex symbol these days? I doubt it. But say Michelangelo's David would pretty consistently hover around the male ideal body over the last 3000 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

As Prince once said;

"Honey, them hips is gone
    That's alright, I clock 'em that way
    Remind me of something James used to say
    "I like 'em fat", "I like 'em proud"
    "Ya gotta have a mother for me"
    Now move your big ass 'round this way
    So I can work on that zipper, baby
    Tonight you're a star and I'm the big dipper".

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My leg length is about 34 inches, I'm trying to imagine my leg made into a circle and it seems pretty big tbh . But I accept that my scientific method could be totally wrong!
    It's very subjective alright. I'm male, 5'11, around 10-11 stone* with a 29/30 inch waist and if I were to go up to 34 bejayzus I'd feel it. So I'm probably basing much of it on that. Now in fairness I'd be considered skinny today, but 40+ years back I'd be decidedly average. And skinny will show a bigger effect of an extra stone than someone bigger.
    As Prince once said;
    And yet his romantic interests were as tiny as he was. :D

*don't know precisely, don't have a scales. That's what I was at 20 and my clothes size remained the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What the f is a feeder website dare I ask?

Just-eat.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement