Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Xbox Series X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The new consoles will have much beefier GPUs and CPUs though so cooling will need to be better for next gen.

Plenty of reports of not X and Pro being extremely loud with certain games though.

I've never once playing any game that's made my consoles loud. They are pin silent to the point I forget they're on. The Original PS4 jesus was like a Dyson.

My PS4 Pro is a jet. Launch model. Hasn't been turned on in months so it's probably worse now with dust build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My PS4 Pro is a jet. Launch model. Hasn't been turned on in months so it's probably worse now with dust build up.

Same with mine, got it a great trade in deal for my original ps4 for the pro fortnite bundle. Would trade it back in a heartbeat. Multiple times my missus has come in to the room to check what's happening only to find it's the ps4 pro trying to take off and fly away. Looked it up and it's the old model they were trying to get rid of, no joy when contacted Sony.

I'll be buying a ps5 on launch just to get rid of this..... Just got next gen is quieter.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Same with mine, got it a great trade in deal for my original ps4 for the pro fortnite bundle. Would trade it back in a heartbeat. Multiple times my missus has come in to the room to check what's happening only to find it's the ps4 pro trying to take off and fly away. Looked it up and it's the old model they were trying to get rid of, no joy when contacted Sony.

I'll be buying a ps5 on launch just to get rid of this..... Just got next gen is quieter.

That's mad. I've also a Slim for about 5 years that's also super quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's too big it's impractical and in countries like Japan where living space is at a premium It can pretty much sink a system.

Just to get back to this:
    You're talking utter bollocks :rolleyes:
    It's a tall case with a small, square footprint.
    Very easy to place near a TV stand or beside a 12" subwoofer.

Also good show on those extrapolated measurements.
    If it's 157mm square it can fit a nice 140mm fan, which should allow for quiet & powerful cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think it looks really cool - no accounting for taste :D I think the PS5 had best get a facelift from that gods awful ugly dev-kit we've seen in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think it looks really cool - no accounting for taste :D I think the PS5 had best get a facelift from that gods awful ugly dev-kit we've seen in the wild.

Steve from Gamers Nexus has a good hypothesis on the PS5 dev kits - they're designed that way so they can be stacked & still get airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Xbox's deigns if anything make the PS5 dev kit all the more likely. MS' vastly different deign for this quite clearly is to improve thermals. I'd say the APU,memory, & VRM are all mid way up the case and everything after that is heatpipe and fins.

Can see them ditching the V and dropping the height a bit on the PS5, both are going to be a mass of aluminium heat fins and fans on top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So this new Xbox is actually going to be called.... Xbox.

And I thought the new Modern Warfare and God of war had confusing names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So this new Xbox is actually going to be called.... Xbox.

And I thought the new Modern Warfare and God of war had confusing names.

Xbox. Not to be confused with past consoles such as the Xbox One or the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

The not so original xbox

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's an Xbox. If people asked me what I played on, I'd say Xbox. Same as if someone asked me what phone I used, I wouldn't say I use a Nokia 8.1, I'd just say Nokia, or even android. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really think too hard about products names.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I cant help but feel that people are going out of their way to give off the air of apparent confusion.
    Really, facing into the year 2020, at media and information overload, are we expected to believe that there are people still out there who can't tell the difference between Modern Warfare or God of War on new consoles vs one that came out Ten years previously? They're doing away with the set console name, and frankly its about time, the XB1 generation pushed it towards coming in line with phones, where people are smart enough to know that there are different models at different price points, all doing essentially the same thing with a better or worse degree of performance and price point.

I also refuse to accept that parents will be confused - any kid worth their salt will have made it plainly clear exactly what they're after, especially so with a premium version of an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I cant help but feel that people are going out of their way to give off the air of apparent confusion.
    Really, facing into the year 2020, at media and information overload, are we expected to believe that there are people still out there who can't tell the difference between Modern Warfare or God of War on new consoles vs one that came out Ten years previously? They're doing away with the set console name, and frankly its about time, the XB1 generation pushed it towards coming in line with phones, where people are smart enough to know that there are different models at different price points, all doing essentially the same thing with a better or worse degree of performance and price point.

I also refuse to accept that parents will be confused - any kid worth their salt will have made it plainly clear exactly what they're after, especially so with a premium version of an item.

The WiiU begs to differ with you, as lots seemed to just think it was yet another Wii add-on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's an Xbox. If people asked me what I played on, I'd say Xbox. Same as if someone asked me what phone I used, I wouldn't say I use a Nokia 8.1, I'd just say Nokia

And both answers should be filled with the same amount of embarrassment :P

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the general public. The reason all this name confusion came about is because they are a generation behind the PlayStation in terms of naming convention and the Xbox 4 could be seen as less powerful than the PS5 (this is the reason the Xbox 360 was named as such to go up against the PS3)

I think they should just do a Microsoft and skip a number. Call it the Xbox 5 and be done with it.

But most importantly as someone that talks and reads about old games these reusing of old names gets very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Thanks for clearing all that up, I shall now adopt this new terminology going forward and expect everyone else to do the same, there shall be no confusion from this day forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Star Lord wrote: »
    The WiiU begs to differ with you, as lots seemed to just think it was yet another Wii add-on.

I was waiting for that, but the xb1x / one S all digital (top selling console in the UK over black friday) seem to have no problem shifting units. They're bringing all their gaming in under the umbrella term of Xbox, and between cloud & console, streaming, gamepass, gamepass for PC, they're covering an awful lot of bases - Its seems very much like its being considered a service, with many ways to access it.

We'll also likely get to a point where certain games wont run on the older versions of xbox - similarly to how certain mobile games won't run on older version of the hardware - but perhaps the older consoles will be able to stream them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I was waiting for that, but the xb1x / one S all digital (top selling console in the UK over black friday) seem to have no problem shifting units. They're bringing all their gaming in under the umbrella term of Xbox, and between cloud & console, streaming, gamepass, gamepass for PC, they're covering an awful lot of bases - Its seems very much like its being considered a service, with many ways to access it.

We'll also likely get to a point where certain games wont run on the older versions of xbox - similarly to how certain mobile games won't run on older version of the hardware - but perhaps the older consoles will be able to stream them?

The current gen is 6 years old, there's nothing to get it confused with at this point.

I think with the plan to stick to X86 based systems that they will be hoping to carry accounts and games to the next system, something which Sony seems to be planning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I agree, the fuss about the name confusion is being greatly overblown IMO.

Can't speak for everyone, but I have a ton of friends and family with kids who always want the latest gadgets for birthdays and Xmas etc. and not once have I ever heard of any of them getting confused when buying tech. Kid asks for latest [insert name of product]....parent goes to store and asks for latest [insert name of product]....parent leaves store with [insert name of product].

Now apply that scenario to the Series X. If a parent goes in and asks for the latest Xbox, that parent is leaving that store with the latest Xbox unless some dim witted sales assistant decides they want to flog them an older, cheaper console and potentially make less money than they had potential to make.

The confusion around the Wii U was as a result of Nintendo's absolutely atrocious marketing and advertisement campaign. Microsoft is much better at explaining their ecosystem and where each system fits in within that ecosystem. Any info I have watched/read to date has been abundantly clear that the Series X is the latest addition to the Xbox family designed as a high end entry point to that ecosystem. And I don't believe that ability to understand is a result of me being a gamer in the know, it's a result of simple to understand marketing and press releases

I game primarily on PS4, and yes I prefer the numbered system Sony employs with their hardware and agree that it is easier to understand. But some of the feedback (referring to online in general, not specifically boards) I have seen would have you believe that people are being asked to go into their local game shop and decipher the ****ing Da Vinci Code.

• Advertisement

goon_magee wrote: »
    The confusion around the Wii U was as a result of Nintendo's absolutely atrocious marketing and advertisement campaign. Microsoft is much better at explaining their ecosystem and where each system fits in within that ecosystem.

I don't think you should give Microsoft too much credit there considering the hash they made of the One launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think you should give Microsoft too much credit there considering the hash they made of the One launch.

The person who was in charge of the Xbox One launch project is long gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The person who was in charge of the Xbox One launch project is long gone now.

The idea for the One was great, the press event was terrible.

It happens when you have a marketing team that does things like says "we need to target this new market or that demographic". I can see them sitting there saying we sold 60 million Xboxes, but there are 2 billion people watching Sports lets get them to buy an Xbox to watch sports on.

This time they seem lazer focussed on getting it right into the hands of their target audience.

I think the only way Microsoft could win over Retro here is if they called it the AC7 and it was in the shape of a plane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The Xbox One launch was shambolic admittedly, but it was also a long time ago and Don Mattrick who was largely responsible for the confused messaging behind the launch is long gone.

As of late Phil Spencer has done a great job IMO of being clear on what each console brings to the table and where they fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems all games playable on Xbox One will be playable on the new Xbox from day one

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-will-support-backwards-compatibility/1100-6472261/

So it's Backwards compatible with Xbox One games and then any OG Xbox and 360 games that were made BC on the One.

The Xbox has been confusing for parents this year. They've been asking me. Oh what's an S... what's the all digital and then... what's the X... I see another X is out next year... kids don't ask for the latest or newest. Their kids just asked Santy for an Xbox. He didn't write on the letter "Dear Santy can you bring me the latest model Xbox One X with a 2tb hard drive bundle with Jedi Fallen Order and it must be in black, also the latest pro controller with a Gears 5 Pro Skin" No, it's "Dear Santy can I've an Xbox with Minecraft" :P

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    The Xbox has been confusing for parents this year. They've been asking me. Oh what's an S... what's the all digital and then... what's the X... I see another X is out next year... kids don't ask for the latest or newest. Their kids just asked Santy for an Xbox. He didn't write on the letter "Dear Santy can you bring me the latest model Xbox One X with a 2tb hard drive bundle with Jedi Fallen Order and it must be in black, also the latest pro controller with a Gears 5 Pro Skin" No, it's "Dear Santy can I've an Xbox with Minecraft" :P

No 2TB version of the X as far as I'm aware? I would have thought anyone with an ounce of common sense would know what an "All Digital" console involved?

Edit: pro controller is a Nintendo controller. No wonder they were confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Still no detailed info on the hardware,which is all id really care about. Probably a bit to wait on the front.

The naming convention is a bit silly alright. Its not obvious at a glance as to where everything fits in. Why not call it the Xbox Series 2? Follows on from Xbox One then at least.

I like what MS have been doing lately,they are making their eco system much more attractive than Sonys imo.

I probably still wont be buying this unless all my mates move to Xbox and also because i can play MS exclusives on PC. Its brilliant what they are doing on PC,and frankly about time. It does discourage anyone with a good PC from buying their console imo though.

• Advertisement

I think the only way Microsoft could win over Retro here is if they called it the AC7 and it was in the shape of a plane ;)

Eh no need to be so dismissive of my opinion. Currently I feel the Xbox whatever needs a USP to sell it, some Mario 64/Halo level game to make it more appealing. So you are totally wrong as I've already played AC7. AC8 would be a better USP and I'd be there day 1 :pac:

Advertisement