Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Tommy Tiernan not the prime talk show host on RTÉ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That's an easy one. RTE want prim and proper besuited yesmen (and yeswomen) to front primetime TV shows. The kind of people that have "RTE4Life" tattoos.

Tiernan is a good natural interviewer, but he has a reputation as a maverick and someone who wouldn't toe a party line. Given his track record, in today's social media age where one wrong word can end a career / bring an organisation into disrepute, the top brass at RTE wouldn't be keen on giving him a big job with a big contract I'd imagine.

And when cretins like Ryan Tubridy are probably bringing in the big (and much needed) ad revenue through high viewing figures, why would you risk someone like Tiernan. I know he's getting a shot next year but I've no doubt D'arcy will be back take his place again or some other RTE lifer next season.
    Chat shows call for a particular style. Think of the American hosts who all have in-your-face, hysterical charisma. Loath him or loath him, Tubridy has that.

Could I interest you in some magic beans? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Maybe 50yrs ago

Nobody's gonna care if he smoked pot

Depends on where you admit to smoking it.

Never good to admit to breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I need to watch some of his interviews. I’ve avoided them because I’m not the biggest fan of Tommy Tiernan as a person. I find him a bit po-faced. But maybe that makes a good interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Everybody on there needs a good hectoring.

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He's a dickhead.

Yup, an absolute **** stain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Berserker5 wrote: »
    A robot could do what they're doing

Would be cheaper than paying a human

Could you do better?i would pay money to see what you could do.they may be ****e but it aint an easy thing to do.the keyboard warrior thing is working out better for you methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He's the best interviewer RTE have by far, his show is pure class. A top, top stand up on his day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Could you do better?i would pay money to see what you could do.they may be ****e but it aint an easy thing to do.the keyboard warrior thing is working out better for you methinks.

I'd say you're mor the keyboard warrior type tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Agricola wrote: »
    Tiernan is a good natural interviewer, but he has a reputation as a maverick and someone who wouldn't toe a party line. Given his track record, in today's social media age where one wrong word can end a career / bring an organisation into disrepute

He asked Kellie Maloney previously Frank what her fanny is like.

I'm sure he'll be grand.

:pac:

Personally I like his show, but I don't think his interview questions are that great TBH, understandable really given the format.

A lot of silence and acting profound but very little substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tiernan is, by some distance, the best interviewer RTE television have. But he wouldn't work in the main slot.

For one thing, I'd say he enjoys the freedom of not doing a TV show year round (or 9 months) in order to do standup.

For another, he'd be pressured into adopting a traditional talk show approach where the questions are prepped and he knows who he'll be interviewing. Couldn't have him asking the likes of Ryan Reynolds an insightful, off-the-cuff question. He's coming there to plug his new movie and give some light spiel about how much he likes Ireland, not give a revealing answer about his insecurities as an actor. Once you shoehorn Tiernan into that mode, you might as well have D'Arcy or Callaghan for all the difference it'd make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Chat shows call for a particular style. Think of the American hosts who all have in-your-face, hysterical charisma. Loath him or loath him, Tubridy has that. Two hours of low-energy Tiernan, week in week out, would be too much to handle. I’m not sure he’d take it, either. Bit too establishment alongside his stand up career.

Not every chat show has to be in the American mould, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why does anyone think there needs to be any prime time chat show? Particularly on the public service broadcaster. The chat show as a format is on the way out.
    It's awful
    Apart from that, Tiernan labours under the delusion that he's some kind of intellectual. He genuinely does.
    Unfunny man and a dilettante.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

He's a dickhead.

So was Pat Kenny ...didnt make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why does anyone think there needs to be any prime time chat show? Particularly on the public service broadcaster. The chat show as a format is on the way out.
    It's awful
    Apart from that, Tiernan labours under the delusion that he's some kind of intellectual. He genuinely does.
    Unfunny man and a dilettante.

He is very good at improv.

I don't understand why Des Bishop doesn't have a show.

He is talented and professional..according to ALL who have met him very polite and easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lalababa wrote: »
    Tubs and Darcy , what can you say. It is what it is. Tubs has to have a 'verbal battle' of one-upmanship toxic masculinity thinly disguised as 'the craic' with all his guests. He has to be seen to dominate the conversation. Thus resulting in firing questions, opinions, and meaningless adjuncts disrupting any hope of a relaxed interview.
    Still alot of people watch so tis just my opinion. And maybe he's mellowed as I haven't watched in years.
    Ray is much more accommodating but I can't say much more as I don't watch it.
    RTE is a bit sick ATM to say the least.
    Needs a whole new shake up, back to basics ,and a serious clear out��
    Will it happen....no.

I lost you at Tubridy and " masculinity"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

I don't understand why Des Bishop doesn't have a show.

... Probably because he'll try to squeeze in his Immersion joke from about 20yrs ago at every opportunity. Ha ha .... observational .... or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I lost you at Tubridy and " masculinity"

The dainty little bugger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dubzjay

Tommy subscribes to the LOUDER=FUNNIER model of comedy.

He ****ing sucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dubzjay

RayCon wrote: »
    ... Probably because he'll try to squeeze in his Immersion joke from about 20yrs ago at every opportunity. Ha ha .... observational .... or something.

To be fair, that's every Irish comedian ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He's a dickhead.

He'll slot in nicely so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Genuine question, why not? Just watched him interview Barry Keoghan. The ability to bring the best conversation out of any interviewee is really refreshing on RTE.

After watching the LLS tribute to Shane McGowan tonight, my question still stands.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

After watching the LLS tribute to Shane McGowan tonight, my question still stands.....

Conversation? Shane McGowan?

:pac:

Advertisement