Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Tommy Tiernan not the prime talk show host on RTÉ?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Genuine question, why not? Just watched him interview Barry Keoghan. The ability to bring the best conversation out of any interviewee is really refreshing on RTE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Prefer the format of his own show TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

Genuine question, why not? Just watched him interview Barry Keoghan. The ability to bring the best conversation out of any interviewee is really refreshing on RTE.

"Refreshing". Ah now we can't be having that sort of thing on RTE. If tis new fangled things like conversations you'll be wanting best to follow the like minded Irish lads like Norton over to the Saxon channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He is taking Darcy slot after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

mickdw wrote: »
    He is taking Darcy slot after Christmas.

Should be taking tubs too. Excellent interviewer, actually listens to what the guests say, some really deep, insightful questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He's a dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

kenmc wrote: »
    Should be taking tubs too. Excellent interviewer, actually listens to what the guests say, some really deep, insightful questions

I like Tiernan, and I also like deep, insightful questions. Just not all the time. He’d be a terrible presenter of the LLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

I saw that interview last night...one of the most awkward attempts from Tommy I've witnessed... giving Barry his intense stare while struggling to ask coherent questions ... anyone thinking that was some of Tommy's best work is a bit deluded I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

He's a dickhead.

He has the same opinion of you, funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That you Tommy? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭elperello

TT is very good at the format he is currently presenting.
    I hope RTE don't make the mistake of shoehorning him into a form of show he may not be good at.
    They have a gem they should be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd guess they'd be afraid to give him an open platform

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I'd guess they'd be afraid to give him an open platform

Not related so but they’re afraid to give hector a platform at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bobblehats wrote: »

A bit related though in that they both have talent that needs to be nurtured and worked with.
    RTE needs to follow the energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

A robot could do what they're doing

Would be cheaper than paying a human

He's PC enough really

I remember him on one of his travel shows and he was afraid to admit if he smoked pot when asked, wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I don't like Tommy Tiernan as a comedian/stand up , whatever , but when he hosted his chat show it was good . The fact that he didn't know who the guests were until they came out made for some good off the cuff questions etc .
    Well , I thought so anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

He's a dickhead.

Doesn't matter.

He's demonstrated he's a natural interviewer, with the requisite social and emotional intelligence to understand the ebb and flow of a conversation and how to tease out the best from his guests.

By contrast, if a guest revealed to D'Arcy they'd just received a terminal diagnosis earlier that day, he'd plough ahead with whatevers next on his cue cards "So, I believe you and Red Hurley are heading to Haiti with GOAL, are ye excited about that?"

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Doesn't matter.

He's demonstrated he's a natural interviewer, with the requisite social and emotional intelligence to understand the ebb and flow of a conversation and how to tease out the best from his guests.

By contrast, if a guest revealed to D'Arcy they'd just received a terminal diagnosis earlier that day, he'd plough ahead with whatevers next on his cue cards "So, I believe you and Red Hurley are heading to Haiti with GOAL after you're dead,are ye excited about that?"

Berserker5 wrote: »
    He's PC enough really

I remember him on one of his travel shows and he was afraid to admit if he smoked pot when asked, wtf

But it’s not the best thing to admit. He left it unanswered? Well there’s your answer hector’s too cute for that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Tubs and Darcy , what can you say. It is what it is. Tubs has to have a 'verbal battle' of one-upmanship toxic masculinity thinly disguised as 'the craic' with all his guests. He has to be seen to dominate the conversation. Thus resulting in firing questions, opinions, and meaningless adjuncts disrupting any hope of a relaxed interview.
    Still alot of people watch so tis just my opinion. And maybe he's mellowed as I haven't watched in years.
    Ray is much more accommodating but I can't say much more as I don't watch it.
    RTE is a bit sick ATM to say the least.
    Needs a whole new shake up, back to basics ,and a serious clear out🙂
    Will it happen....no.

• Advertisement

Everybody on there needs a good hectoring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I was watching his show from nearly 20 years ago on TG4 last night. It was a lovely watch and I really enjoyed it. He was walking around the country, it is lovely timepiece if you ask me.

He gets a hard time from a lot of people, but for me at least he has the balls to get up there and give it a lash. There will always be other comedians, but I think he is fine for what he is at.

Comedy is so subjective, one mans pizza is another mans cheesecake. If you know what I mean.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Comedy is so subjective, one mans pizza is another mans cheesecake. If you know what I mean.

Sweet/savoury?

I suppose that’s if it’s vegetarian pizza. What if it’s a nutella pizza? Can’t be good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Chat shows call for a particular style. Think of the American hosts who all have in-your-face, hysterical charisma. Loath him or loath him, Tubridy has that. Two hours of low-energy Tiernan, week in week out, would be too much to handle. I’m not sure he’d take it, either. Bit too establishment alongside his stand up career.

Sweet/savoury?

I suppose that’s if it’s vegetarian pizza. What if it’s a nutella pizza? Can’t be good

Chocolate pizza is actually not the worst. I have eating a few dodgy breakfasts in my time. When I have the munchies anything is possible really.

Cold 16 hour old pizza is really a delicacy, think about it.

Well maybe if it’s sourdough. Its all about the base right? Anything’s good on a sourdough......

mmm.. marmite pizza on a sourdough base. Suddenly everybody’s in agreement

Well maybe if it’s sourdough. Its all about the base right? Anything’s good on a sourdough......

mmm.. marmite pizza on a sourdough base. Suddenly everybody’s in agreement

Now that is controversial....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

To be a good interviewer,I think you need some kind of or at least show some kind of star-struck aura towards certain guests... unlike lots of Irish interviewers who seem to over compensate and even can become a bit sneary towards mega stars,who I think deserve more respect!? Anyway Tommy seems to have that empathy and just niceness towards his guests, which is a good thing...... Don't get me wrong I was never pushed on him as a comedian especially his early years,but most recently I think he has grown on me.

But it’s not the best thing to admit. He left it unanswered? Well there’s your answer hector’s too cute for that crap

Maybe 50yrs ago

Nobody's gonna care if he smoked pot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He’s a strange one.

As soon as he got big and well known his stand up went terrible.

And the exposure of this at that time nearly finished him off.

It’s like he started fresh? stopped the shouting and he’s now bigger than ever.

Really enjoy the show, he’s a clever man.

Advertisement