Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

A few hypericum tablets from the health shop are often uplifting as he might be a bit depressed as he feels he cant do all the things hes done in the past he is frightened and doesn't want to be alone ( fear of another stroke who knows).

I am an absolute dog lover but there is a time when you have t think for him and maybe its soon 14 years is a good life. I had to face the same thing june 2017 its horrible but it was the time and the right decision.
    try all the suggestions but in reality you do have to think for him and do the best for him.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I got a really thick plug in & rechargable outdoor dog bed for fido - it was like something you' d have on a couch. I loved it but the dog would not sleep on it - or even stwp on it - even with cheese bribes - & not even in the snow - preferred the thin discount bed instead - you couldnt make it up! Yours - S/he sounds like an absolute pet. Give him a hug from me & enjoy her love.you will ve devestated when s/he is gone : (

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

So unfortunately none of the above made much of of a difference . We tried the heated mat and he likes it as long as one of us stays with him while he is on it! He is so bad that he was inside by the fire last week and came out to the door and was barking at my mam to come back inside. I accidentally locked him in for a hour last week with another dog-she was asleep by the fire and he was in the freezing cold hall waiting for us. So it's just the company that's the big issue-just this clinginess-I presume this isn't a sign of anything else? I can no longer even have a shower in peace with our hin demanding to come in and his bark would wake the dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor old dog. Poor you too.
    Hard to know how to deal with the oldies - have you discussed with the vet if there is anything you could try, medication-wise, with a view to reducing anxiety? Kalmaid might be worth a try for a start - non-prescription and OTC - just to see if that might help...

(off topic - when I got out of the shower this am, there was one cat sitting on the loo seat, dog on the bath mat, second cat on the sink counter - all staring at me willing me to hurry up 8-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

L1985 wrote: »
    So unfortunately none of the above made much of of a difference . We tried the heated mat and he likes it as long as one of us stays with him while he is on it! He is so bad that he was inside by the fire last week and came out to the door and was barking at my mam to come back inside. I accidentally locked him in for a hour last week with another dog-she was asleep by the fire and he was in the freezing cold hall waiting for us. So it's just the company that's the big issue-just this clinginess-I presume this isn't a sign of anything else? I can no longer even have a shower in peace with our hin demanding to come in and his bark would wake the dead!

OP have you tried CBD oil? This helps relax them a little take the edge off things for him?

• Advertisement

I'm bringing him to the vet Monday so I'll see what he advises. I'll be honest im usually more of an advocate of leaving animals be if they are destressed in that they usual cope themselves better without being fussed over and too much medication is bad although he takes his painkillers no problem. I've a similar philosophy for myself TBH 😂. I'm just worried that he is in pain or something else is going on as he has lost a lot of weight which is a really bad sign I k kw (although he did need to lose it and his appetite is as good as always)

aonb wrote: »
    Poor old dog. Poor you too.
    Hard to know how to deal with the oldies - have you discussed with the vet if there is anything you could try, medication-wise, with a view to reducing anxiety? Kalmaid might be worth a try for a start - non-prescription and OTC - just to see if that might help...

(off topic - when I got out of the shower this am, there was one cat sitting on the loo seat, dog on the bath mat, second cat on the sink counter - all staring at me willing me to hurry up 8-) )

Don't you feel silently judged sometimes when they do that?? Come on human you can surely wash yourself faster then that-I've only my tongue and I could do it better lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

L1985 wrote: »
    Don't you feel silently judged sometimes when they do that?? Come on human you can surely wash yourself faster then that-I've only my tongue and I could do it better lol!!

Mine are not allowed in the bathroom... not since my biggest long haired cat came in soaking wet and rubbed his icy coat all over my legs when I was helpless... ;)

The tiny one though. As soon as I go near food, she is on the counter,,, trying to cut up raw chicken with her rubbing against me....
    This tiny one will go far... this morning she stole a whole raw chicken leg off one of the big boys.... He was outraged but helpless...

Just an update-we think he had another stroke last week so I bought him to the vet. Vet said leave him be-he has lost a lot of weight but no point in testing his kidney Etc as there is nothing we would be doing.he is still as clingy as ever and tripping us up but he also as happy and lovable as ever. I feel like filming him for a dog add as he is as excited when it's breakfast time!! So we have decided to leave him be until nature runs its course. He is at least 15 and he is after having a very good life. Also I had to laugh as he managed to trip the vet up at the vets-it's his gift!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

The one thing I would say is be prepared to have to make the call to get the vet to help him on his way when the time comes. Not at death is silent sudden and painless.

• Advertisement

I know. I've had to do it before and it's horrendous but we would never leave an animal suffer and we will do what needs to be done although it will break our hearts. Everyday he is there wagging his tail is a gift and that's all we can expect.

Over fella is only about 8 or 9 and I dread that day.

Hi all. So back on this again same said whose still going strong. Clinginess relaxed slightly but this time of year my dads in a lot so he’s happy out at the fire for most of the day! Still v staggery and eyesights really not good but happy out and barking for his breakfast every morning.
    So here is the issue-he seems to have lost control of his poop. So he just randomly craps inside little pellets of it without even noticing it...mostly solid. Now it doesn’t hurt him or distress him in the slightest but we are obviously not a fan esp my dad. Is there anything we could do as in change his food that could help this? He’s been on the same food working dog food for the past ten years. I did read this happens to older dogs so we may just have to deal with it-thank god it’s solid!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Glad to read that he's still going strong-ish op :)
    He's incontinent. It's as simple as that. So, you need to go and talk to his vet, because you may be able to help this problem via medication... as far as I know, it's much the same meds that's used in bitches with urinary incontinence... the medication works generally to improve the function of sphincter muscles, so can be used for faecal incontinence... that's my understanding of it, I'm happy to be corrected!
    That all said, for me, incontinence is the ultimate loss of dignity for a dog, and loss of dignity, for me, is a major indicator that it's time to consider what's best for the dog. So... just have that in your head, you know? Him not noticing it just suggests there's an element of dementia too. Hopefully the vet can help him with medication, but all it's doing is delaying the inevitable by a bit.
    Good luck op :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

hard as it may be when a dog loses his dignity he is ready to go and there are other young dogs needing rescue. at 15 he has had a very long life and its time do it for him dont keep him alive for you and how you feel. My mother did that and eventually i had to refuse to come home until she did the kindest act for her dog she was avoiding her pain and not the dogs. I work with therapy dogs and the elderly and believe me there are many humans who would dearly like to have the option of a swift and kind death like a dog has when owned by decent humans. make the right decision soon.

Honestly I’d agree if he was bothered but he really really isn’t....as in for the last year or so he poos in a line down the yard or where ever it’s not in the same spot. He does have a touch of dementia I’d say but he’s actually really happy and has a good quality of life. I know it’s something we have to be conscious of and not to hold him on too long for our benefit but he is genuinely very happy and was chasing the sparks of the angle grinder yesterday as usual! He doesn’t even seem to realise there is a problem and we don’t even see him going it just pops out! So we might try that medication/i didn’t know it existed!
    . I don’t want to give up on him while he is in good spirits and not in pain if that makes sense
    Btw I work with animals every day and have had to make that decision twice with dogs and would never let them linger in pain. When you are talking about dignity-I wonder, as he isn’t bothered but another dog we had was devastated when he lost control and yes it did affect his dignity. I don’t actually think he even realised it’s happening-it happened this evening as he got up to beg for some take away!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yep, I get that op... I don't want to give the impression that I think you should go straight for the nuclear option... I'm just encouraging you to keep the inevitable in the back of your mind, and remember the old adage that is absolutely right... better a week too early than a day too late :o
    But! For now, he seems to be still a happy enough camper... hopefully the meds will help him and keep him right for another while :)

DBB wrote: »
    Yep, I get that op... I don't want to give the impression that I think you should go straight for the nuclear option... I'm just encouraging you to keep the inevitable in the back of your mind, and remember the old adage that is absolutely right... better a week too early than a day too late :o
    But! For now, he seems to be still a happy enough camper... hopefully the meds will help him and keep him right for another while :)
    Thanks for your advice as always dbb! And to everyone else who contributed

I'm just delighted to hear he is still going!

Advertisement