Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog

Options
  • 02-11-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Not sure if anyone can help is with this but worth a try. Have a 14yr lab. He had a stroke 2 months ago and we thought he was going to be put down. He has come through it v well is a bit staggery and his head hangs down to one side but he seems to be doing well. Appetite is doing well(v funny watching him TBH as he is like a hungry hippo gulping at everything). Here is the issue he is driving us nuts as he's being v v needy. He was always a bit needy but has got worse. Usually he is out during the day,sleeps in with us from dark and then is in bed outside at nighttime. There is nearly always someone around or close by as it's a farm. However he wants to be inside with us the whole time. He stands barking the whole time to be left in(won't stay in on his own) and has the loudest most demanding bark. He also follows us around inside constantly and I have a real worry my dads going to trip over him as dad uses a walking stick and we actually all Fall over him once a day!! Is there anything we can do? He's v easy going but wouldn't be the smartest. Never had an interest in toys.
    Actually anyone else having issues with daylight saving time? He is seriously unimpressed his breakfast is an hour later and is v vocal about it lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭D3V!L

He needs to be inside. You can't keep an elderly 14 year old lab outside after having a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

He's spent 14 years with your family, he's had a stroke and he wants to be inside and comfortable!

I don't undertand how you would even consider leaving him outside, especially give the recent temps and forcast for worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

D3V!L wrote: »
    He needs to be inside. You can't keep an elderly 14 year old lab outside after having a stroke.
    He won't stay inside by himself. He comes in and out with us during the day but barks to be left out if he's on his own. Basically he would be happiest if we stayed inside with him all day which isn't realistic!!!
    That's my point he is v v clingy and wants to be with someone the whole time. But we are outside during the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you maybe confine him inside eg with baby gates? He's 14 and has had a stroke.. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be a bit unsure/want to spend his time with you inside at this time in his life. Also not to be harsh but realistically he might not be around much longer given his age and the fact he's already had one stroke so let him live out what time he has in with you where he's happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

He's letting you know he's too old to be on his own. He needs to be kept inside and comfortable. Maybe get him some blankets to make a little spot for him to rest on. If he's very needy, try giving him a hat someone he likes has worn and let him keep it in his bed. When I go to work every morning my dog takes my hat off the rad and keeps it with her for the day until I come home.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you maybe confine him inside eg with baby gates? He's 14 and has had a stroke.. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be a bit unsure/want to spend his time with you inside at this time in his life. Also not to be harsh but realistically he might not be around much longer given his age and the fact he's already had one stroke so let him live out what time he has in with you where he's happy?

He is a complete sweetheart and if he wanted that that wouldn't be a problem. He is a member of the family/that's not an issue.But he only barks when he is properly upset and he does that when he's left on his own inside. He really hates being left on his own and gets v upset.....
    Actually a really good example just happened there. He is in today as I'm home sick and lit the fire. I got up to use the bathroom and he got up from the mat in front of the fire followed me through the kitchen to the bathroom (cold there) sat and waited then walked back with me to the fire!! Did the same earlier when i went 15feet away outside to get sticks and it's so hard for the poor guy to get up!! Prob nothing we can do it's just he's insecure since the stroke but I both feel for him and worry he will kill one of us(lies down behind you and you don't see him and step back on him!!). Prob nothing that can be done :(

L1985 wrote: »
    He is a complete sweetheart and if he wanted that that wouldn't be a problem. He is a member of the family/that's not an issue.But he only barks when he is properly upset and he does that when he's left on his own inside. He really hates being left on his own and gets v upset.....
    Actually a really good example just happened there. He is in today as I'm home sick and lit the fire. I got up to use the bathroom and he got up from the mat in front of the fire followed me through the kitchen to the bathroom (cold there) sat and waited then walked back with me to the fire!! Did the same earlier when i went 15feet away outside to get sticks and it's so hard for the poor guy to get up!! Prob nothing we can do it's just he's insecure since the stroke but I both feel for him and worry he will kill one of us(lies down behind you and you don't see him and step back on him!!). Prob nothing that can be done :(

:(

I hear ya - my dog does that too and he's hasn't had a stroke!

Could you maybe try something to help settle him like maybe try an anxiety wrap, pet remedy plugin etc etc. You might need to do a bit of training to get him used to being on his own - like what you'd do with a pup.. but I'm not sure how much that would help if he's had a stroke?

Is his sight ok after the stroke?

tk123 wrote: »
    :(

I hear ya - my dog does that too and he's hasn't had a stroke!

Could you maybe try something to help settle him like maybe try an anxiety wrap, pet remedy plugin etc etc. You might need to do a bit of training to get him used to being on his own - like what you'd do with a pup.. but I'm not sure how much that would help if he's had a stroke?

Is his sight ok after the stroke?

We don't think his sight is great-it's a bit hard to know as he is staggery and holds his head at a weird angle. He can Deff see something as we have tested that-he has always relied more on his sense of smell.
    What's an anxiety wrap? We have 2 other dogs as well so have to take them into account too. I'm wondering are there heated outdoor pads or something we could use? That might stop him wanting to be inside and he would be happier with being able to see us going around the yard!! I just don't know how to train him to be on his own-he has the other dogs it's just he wants ppl(any of the three of us will do we never figured out who his allegiance is with!!)
    Yes and he dislikes the bathroom door being closed at times as well-one feels judged!!

Hi OP I'm a bit confused so I just want to clarify.. am I right in thinking this is what you're saying..

Dog used to hang out with you all outside on the farm during the day. Then spend the evening inside with you and then sleep outside and was happy with this.

Dog then had stroke and now you want him to stay inside during the day where he'll be safe and comfortable but hes gotten very needy and can't settle and barks for you to come into him.

So you want to know how you can get him to either settle and be happy inside alone or how you can have him outside with you but also safe warm and settled in the yard?

Top is correct :)
    Second: No. we don't care where the dog is during the day as long as he is happy.
    Preference prob would be outdoors as to be honest I feel it's healthier and more stimulating for him to be still seeing everything and being involved then inside on his own.
    However your last part is correct-id prefer him happy and not barking at us either inside or outside and not be as clingy but I don't know if there is anything we can really do.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have to say OP I wouldn’t even consider having my nearly 14 year old guy outside .. stroke or no stroke

Look up CBD oil it will help relax him somewhat .. bring him inside use baby gates etc - give him some comfort and peace

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

He's old, and as someone else said, he's probably not got that much time left - he wants his family around him (i understand this isn't possible 24/7) but if it was me, i'd be giving him whatever he wanted to make his time on this earth the happiest it can be.

I don't understand how you can trip over him, a lab isn't exactly a small dog tbf, check your footing before you get up or step back or whatever!

My girl is almost 10, she's only small and she sleeps upstairs in the bedroom with us - i get this isn't practical for a lot of people but could you even give up a corner of your bedroom maybe so he knows your close by and he feels safe?

cocker5 wrote: »
    I have to say OP I wouldn’t even consider having my nearly 14 year old guy outside .. stroke or no stroke

Look up CBD oil it will help relax him somewhat .. bring him inside use baby gates etc - give him some comfort and peace
    Unfortunately as I have said a couple of times...it's not leaving him inside that is a problem, it's the fact he wants us to stay inside with him! Which isn't practical.
    Baby gates won't help-he gets v distressed on his own and barks st the door. I'll look into the oil thou.
    I'm not leaving him upset inside barking....

He's old, and as someone else said, he's probably not got that much time left - he wants his family around him (i understand this isn't possible 24/7) but if it was me, i'd be giving him whatever he wanted to make his time on this earth the happiest it can be.

I don't understand how you can trip over him, a lab isn't exactly a small dog tbf, check your footing before you get up or step back or whatever!

My girl is almost 10, she's only small and she sleeps upstairs in the bedroom with us - i get this isn't practical for a lot of people but could you even give up a corner of your bedroom maybe so he knows your close by and he feels safe?
    As stated WE HAVE NO PROBS LEAVING HIM INSIDE !!! It's his clingness that's the issue and what I was asking for help with! We can't sit inside with the dog all day in fairness.he is a really loved and happy dog.
    Re tripping - he lies across doorways and right behind you or across between the table and counter. We are constantly falling over him and I am worried about my dad. He's a big dog but he's lethal for tripping ppl. I was hoping for some ways to reduce his clinginess but looks like there isn't.
    Don't mean to be ungrateful but ppl don't seem to be getting my point and are honing in one small point.

Unfortunately as I have said a couple of times...it's not leaving him inside that is a problem, it's the fact he wants us to stay inside with him! Which isn't practical.
    Baby gates won't help-he gets v distressed on his own and barks st the door. I'll look into the oil thou.
    I'm not leaving him upset inside barking....

CBD oil is great for all sorts of issues .. it should help relax his barking / anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

It's his clingness that's the issue and what I was asking for help with!

As someone else suggested try an anxiety wrap. I got one for my clingy greyhound, she'd panic if we went up stairs and left her downstairs on her own. I didn't really believe in them but I got to the stage where I would try anything. I bought one called a Thundershirt off Amazon. It worked so well that after a few weeks she didn't need to wear it all the time.
    In saying that her anxiety was because she was abused prior to us taking her in - I'm not sure if it would have the same effect on a stroke victim.

Another thing we found great is a Kong - we'd stuff it with wet dog food and freeze it, it takes hours to get all the food out so if he's a foodie at all it might be worth trying.

Best of luck with him :)

CBD oil is great for all sorts of issues .. it should help relax his barking / anxiety

Would I get that in a pet shop? He is on painkillers for his back which he takes with no problems (this is a dog who ate a frozen Brussels profits last week so he eats everything!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I've been there.

What you're really asking is "tell me it's ok to let him go".

It's ok to let him go. He's a great old age for a lab and his quality of life has taken a major nosedive. There is likely no curing this anxiety as it's brought on by an end of life situation and is perfectly normal.

It's very hard I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Duplicate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I've been there.

What you're really asking is "tell me it's ok to let him go".

It's ok to let him go. He's a great old age for a lab and his quality of life has taken a major nosedive. There is likely no curing this anxiety as it's brought on by an end of life situation and is perfectly normal.

It's very hard I know.

mqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Apologies to the OP, I took a completely different meaning from your original post. I jumped to a conclusion and I am sorry for that.
    I hope you can find some relief for your dog, I have a dog that suffers badly with anxiety, so i know how difficult it can be for both dog and owner, you have my sympathies.

Also, to the poster that recommeneded CBD oil, I too would like to know where this can be purchsed?

Emmm no. I'm not asking if I can put him to sleep!!. He's happy is eating normally and isn't in pain....it's not ok to put him down just because we are tripping over him and he's more clingy!! We thought when he had the stroke we would have to and I was bawling my eyes out. Once he stops being happy that's a different conversation!!

You may need to get creative OP :p with that in mind .... you could try FaceTime/skyping. It sounds mad but I’ve done it for Bailey lol :o
    For the wrap - you can make diy ones with bandages but they’re not recommended if the dog is unsupervised. I use a karma warp for Bailey which I got in Maxizoo but most pet shops will either have that type or Thundershirts and they’d have them now with Halloween a few days ago. I find valerian drops very good for B too and got a pet remedy plugin this year too to help relax him.

Would I get that in a pet shop? He is on painkillers for his back which he takes with no problems (this is a dog who ate a frozen Brussels profits last week so he eats everything!!)

You may be able to get it in a chemist not in a pet shop here’s a good place for online

https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/

Top is correct :)
    Second: No. we don't care where the dog is during the day as long as he is happy.
    Preference prob would be outdoors as to be honest I feel it's healthier and more stimulating for him to be still seeing everything and being involved then inside on his own.
    However your last part is correct-id prefer him happy and not barking at us either inside or outside and not be as clingy but I don't know if there is anything we can really do.....

Thanks for clarifying.

Id follow tks advice with trying an anxiety wrap or thundershirt and a pet remedy plug in for indoors.

I understand why you'd prefer him outdoors in that case with you all, especially as it's sounds like he'll be happier in the middle of all the action.

Where does he sleep at night? Do you have a well insulated kennel for him? Is there an area outside where there's usually someone around where he could be in his kennel or where you could put a well insulated kennel with comfy bedding and have the door open so he can watch the goings on? A stuffed Kong then inside there to encourage him to relax and stay put and his wrap or a warm jumper/coat?

I'd imagine the stroke has made him very anxious and confused. It would be awful for him to have another one in the night and be alone. Would you consider allowing him to sleep inside now in his twilight years. It might help with his overall anxiety.

Thanks for clarifying.

Id follow tks advice with trying an anxiety wrap or thundershirt and a pet remedy plug in for indoors.

I understand why you'd prefer him outdoors in that case with you all, especially as it's sounds like he'll be happier in the middle of all the action.

Where does he sleep at night? Do you have a well insulated kennel for him? Is there an area outside where there's usually someone around where he could be in his kennel or where you could put a well insulated kennel with comfy bedding and have the door open so he can watch the goings on? A stuffed Kong then inside there to encourage him to relax and stay put and his wrap or a warm jumper/coat?

I'd imagine the stroke has made him very anxious and confused. It would be awful for him to have another one in the night and be alone. Would you consider allowing him to sleep inside now in his twilight years. It might help with his overall anxiety.

Unfortunately although he is in at night until around 12....we have tried several times to leave him in all night and he has pooped everywhere....it's ultimately not my decision but my parents and they have put their foot down due to the volume involved.....
    He has a outhouse which used to be a dwelling house and several duvets on a mattress and also the hayshed which he usually loves sleeping in.....it's not ideal I know. Stuffed kongs a great idea but his sisters keep robbing it on him-he is a pushover!! He normally sleeps on the top of the steps during the day where he can see everything and doesn't go into his house but that's possibly because the steps are a bit more difficult for hiM and also the sun hts there. It's just then the barking starts, to go in and his bark would raise the dead!! I'm looking at that oil and I'm thinking the blanket could work as he loves cuddles and hugs so that could help him!!
    Thanks all-he is the most loving dog even if he has tripped two out of three of us up on the last hour!!! More food related then anxiety!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, sounds like he is a much loved total pest :D

One of my dogs had a stroke and similar to everything you've written about your dog, got very clingy. He was quite disorientated, and would get a bit confused - understandable that he wanted to be with us... We got the thundershirt - certainly helped. We got an armband that had this incredibly bright flashing RED LED's on - put it around his neck, so that wherever he was laying in the house, we couldnt miss him (and like you trip over him!) Havent tried the CBD oil, but had our guy on ARTHRIAID to help with old age stiffness.

Could you put a heat pad under his bed in the shed - might help with the stiffness too

Could you put a warm coat on him and just let him be outside all the time with you humans?

Since the other dogs take his treats, that might keep him entertained, could you put him in a crate/closed off area, with a nice big juicy (raw) bone? Frozen Kong etc?

It might be worth mentioning to the vet that hes super-clingy - the vet might have some medication that might relieve the anxiety ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Aw the poor boy. It's so hard when they get older. I fear I'm going to be saying goodbye to my gorgeous boy in the coming months and nothing can make the pain any easier but I think knowing that they have had a lovely fulfilled happy life and as little pain as possible helps with the grief when the do go.
    I was on zooplus last night and they had various heatpads. Perhaps the 19.99euro one would be suitable. Maby two of them under his duvet in a sheltered favourite spot where he can see comings and goings during the day while ye are out and about. You heat them in the microwave and they radiate out warmth for hours after. (Might be beneficial for his joints).
    That might help him be restful during the day and then be in with ye during the evening and heat them up again for him before he goes out to bed for the night with a filled Kong.
    Good luck and I hope ye have pain free comfortable times ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Cbd oil is just the latest overpriced fad. Yes some studies say it's relaxin but so is lavender.

Ask your vet or a local good pet shop.

We had a lot of anxiety issues and used a pet remedy plug-in.

Every dog will respond differently to different situations. Yours seems to want to be close by at all times and it's impossible for anyone to give advice unless they've had same problem.

Vet or local pet shop will be the best way forward

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    OP, sounds like he is a much loved total pest :D

One of my dogs had a stroke and similar to everything you've written about your dog, got very clingy. He was quite disorientated, and would get a bit confused - understandable that he wanted to be with us... We got the thundershirt - certainly helped. We got an armband that had this incredibly bright flashing RED LED's on - put it around his neck, so that wherever he was laying in the house, we couldnt miss him (and like you trip over him!) Havent tried the CBD oil, but had our guy on ARTHRIAID to help with old age stiffness.

Could you put a heat pad under his bed in the shed - might help with the stiffness too

Could you put a warm coat on him and just let him be outside all the time with you humans?

Since the other dogs take his treats, that might keep him entertained, could you put him in a crate/closed off area, with a nice big juicy (raw) bone? Frozen Kong etc?

It might be worth mentioning to the vet that hes super-clingy - the vet might have some medication that might relieve the anxiety ?

Thanks they are v good suggestions. I never even thought of a jacket for him TBH but for the winter I think I will. For the cold frosty days I'd say It will make a big difference with him. I'm Deff getting the thermo pad as I feel that will really help him. He was always such an active dog followed the tractor everywhere and he does stil follow one tractor abd is so happy you wouldn't hve the heart to stop him. We have never really confined him (never needed to as he was ridiculously well behaved.) so I don't see that going well with him. I don't want to disrupt his routine too much and hopefully won't be as much of an issue in the winter as my dads inside a lot more but I really like the idea of those thermo pads.
    Thanks all :)

Advertisement