Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Anyone know much about the '19 Cupra 290 ? They look to be decently specced, but there doesn't seem to be much about them online... Would they depreciate like a stone?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/seat/leon/fpa/201907190239909

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Are they not all the same seats across the GTi/GTD/R range just with different coverings? With the exception of the recaro wingback seats.
    It might be harder to find these, I've seen the Golf R seats up for sale more often (may be guys tracking their cars so selling standard seats or a lot more of them being crashed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

deceit wrote: »
    It might be harder to find these, I've seen the Golf R seats up for sale more often (may be guys tracking their cars so selling standard seats or a lot more of them being crashed).

I understand that but the point i am making is there should be no difference, shape or comfort wise between GTi and R seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That's a good price. A year old 300 model was €32-34k when I was looking and they don't tend to any spec on them. I believe the 290 has keyless, digital dash and sunroof as standard although for whatever reason it still doesn't have adaptive cruise control which is standard on the UK 290. (I'd take ACC over a sunroof anyday...)

They seem to lose quite a bit of value but they're silly value for money second hand. If APR is still 2% on used models you'll be laughing. I believe they've gone up to around €42-43k new now.

McCoy's seem to have a good reputation especially with servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

As Hooch says, the seats are all the same barring the (ultra rare) wingbacks. Only the material covering differs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Recently went from a comfort line mk6 to a comfort line mk7 I find the seats are not great, granted I have back issues but I thought the mk6 were better.

I don’t know if they are exactly the same in the newer Golf’s Gti’s etc as I haven’t said in a mk7 but I’ve yet to sit in a seat that even gets close to the comfort of the Mk5 Gti seats. I’ve a bad back and they are just something else how good I feel after a long drive in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I don’t know if they are exactly the same in the newer Golf’s Gti’s etc as I haven’t said in a mk7 but I’ve yet to sit in a seat that even gets close to the comfort of the Mk5 Gti seats. I’ve a bad back and they are just something else how good I feel after a long drive in them.

I have to say the MK7 seats took me by surprise for comfort levels i didn't think they would be comfy as other cars i've owned but they rate fairly high.

Most comfortable seats i've ever had were MK4 Golf/Bora leather Recaros, then 8P S3 Recaro wingbacks, then the MK7 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

Looking for a golf GTD DSG 2017/18 facelift. Pref in white. There is literally no stock in Ireland currently :( 2015 manual black GTD to trade in. Anyone think there might be some in the new year? I like the look of the MK8 but I'm not 100% sold on it....... I do high enough mileage so I want the diesel

• Advertisement

Not many 7.5 GTD's about at all. Divane's in Castleisland had two lately, i think the reg'd them as 191's, might be worth a look.

Edit, here's one, unreg'd for €48k

https://www.divane.ie/en/used-cars/33367

Here's the 2019 one

https://www.divane.ie/en/used-cars/44844

If it was me, i'd go for a used GTi, you'll lose a lot of money on depreciation on either of those i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Not many 7.5 GTD's about at all. Divane's in Castleisland had two lately, i think the reg'd them as 191's, might be worth a look.

Edit, here's one, unreg'd for €48k

https://www.divane.ie/en/used-cars/33367

Here's the 2019 one

https://www.divane.ie/en/used-cars/44844

If it was me, i'd go for a used GTi, you'll lose a lot of money on depreciation on either of those i reckon

They are mental money for GTDs I thought they were significantly less to buy brand new than a GTI. The last of the mk7.5 GTIs were about 46k new with PP and tech pack.

I’d agree though unless you are doing crazy high mileage a GTI would be a better bet more choice.

The GTD's were actually more expensive to buy new when specced up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GTI isn't that thirsty do your sums Diesel might not save you a lot if it costs more to buy

GTI isn't that thirsty do your sums Diesel might not save you a lot if it costs more to buy

I'd say it's definitely worth looking into. One of the Autogefühl reviews for 7L/100km over 400km with some motorway driving. I didn't think a GTI could get that low on consumption.

Could also look at a GTE but that isn't quite as fast and again, still not a GTI, but at least it's a petrol.

I've done the sums, doing 30kms a year a GTD will be about €1,100 cheaper to run at current fuel rates. But you will easily lose that in depreciation over the GTi. If i had my time back again I would have held tough and bought a GTi even if it was going to cost me a a few K more upfront to get the spec I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Surely a similarly specced GTi would be more expensive than the GTD?

Agree with CIP, that is mad money for a diesel golf.

Wailin wrote: »
    Surely a similarly specced GTi would be more expensive than the GTD?

Agree with CIP, that is mad money for a diesel golf.

This is from the last available price list.

GTD's were discontinued for a while after this.

No manual GTI's either, is the mk7.5 the last of them.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'd say it's definitely worth looking into. One of the Autogefühl reviews for 7L/100km over 400km with some motorway driving. I didn't think a GTI could get that low on consumption.

Definitely can be economical enough.... I averaged 10l/100km over 700kms.... Over half of that was Munich to Stuttgart return with a heavy foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

This is from the last available price list.

GTD's were discontinued for a while after this.

Yes that is a bit off I priced a brand new GTI last summer and the Retail was 45,170 euro for a Golf GTI PP 245BHP DSG 5dr with no options and non metallic paint. They were going up 1k at that stage aswell for some emissions tax so would of been 46,170. However when I priced it they were winding down production so wasn't sure if I would actually get one from the factory and none of the garage could guarantee it would be made as Mk8 production was starting up.

Yes a newish GTD is stupid money. That 44k will come down Id say be 10k withina few months if its still there. Right about depreciation also. GTDs not keeping their value at all :( Raging and all, the 2019 one is basically exaclty what I want, oh well

What milage you doing, what kind of roads, are you getting vat back or anything on diesel. What value do you put on pops and bangs?

What milage you doing, what kind of roads, are you getting vat back or anything on diesel. What value do you put on pops and bangs?

About 30,000km a year , probably 70% motorway. No all my own expense unfort! Just don’t know if the extra fuel and insurance is worth it for a GTI the resale is better. White, black or maybe red, 172 onwards, with max 35k price tag tho pref 30-32. Pretty hard to come by! There’s one of those Black Rubin GTDs going up for 30 for a 181 in Donegal by the colour is a complete no no! Didn’t realize they’d be so rare to come by, unless PCPs start coming in next year, but dealers don’t seem to be getting many in.

FKLV have been getting UK stock of Golfs in because they haven't been getting any Irish ones back, don't know if it's the same story for GTI, GTD etc though. At least that's what they told me anyway.

easyvision wrote: »
    About 30,000km a year , probably 70% motorway. No all my own expense unfort! Just don’t know if the extra fuel and insurance is worth it for a GTI the resale is better. White, black or maybe red, 172 onwards, with max 35k price tag tho pref 30-32. Pretty hard to come by! There’s one of those Black Rubin GTDs going up for 30 for a 181 in Donegal by the colour is a complete no no! Didn’t realize they’d be so rare to come by, unless PCPs start coming in next year, but dealers don’t seem to be getting many in.

Driving the GTI on that 30,000 will cost about €3600 in fuel, if it's mainly motorway you could probably do it a bit less. If you've cash I'd say you should pull a 172 for somewhere between 25 and 29, that's a lot cheaper than the diesel. At 50,000km a year the diesel is a no brainier at 30k not so much.
    If your doing a lot of motorway not a lot of point in stumping up for the dsg, a mk7.5 manual with adaptive cruise would do the job and you've a nicer sounding and cheaper maintain car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

easyvision wrote: »

If you’re doing that much motorway driving, I’m not sure a gti is the way to go.
    I never found it a particularly comfortable relaxing drive on the motorway. Actually I thought it was noisy and fidgety at motorway speeds and not at all economical.others I’m sure will disagree but it would not be my choice. Gti is a much better car off the motorway in my view.

If it was noisy and fidgety you need new tyres or there's something else wrong. Can only comment on the 7.5 but it hums along at motorway speeds. Definitely not figety it's well planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'd prefer a diesel for driving on motorways in general. The lower rpm is the main thing. A diesel will be just ticking over at 2k rpm at 130kph, where as a petrol will be closer to 3k, which just annoys me. The golf I had was only a 6 speed dsg, so maybe the 7th gear helps here but still would prefer the diesel.

Obviously if the diesel is more expensive then that's a different story. I do very little motorway driving but 95% on national roads sitting at 100kph ish. Always felt a fast petrol was wasted on those roads, and same with motorway.

My current car is diesel and I would find it more refined sitting at 100kph than a petrol golf, mainly due to the lower rpm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'd prefer a diesel for driving on motorways in general. The lower rpm is the main thing. A diesel will be just ticking over at 2k rpm at 130kph, where as a petrol will be closer to 3k, which just annoys me. The golf I had was only a 6 speed dsg, so maybe the 7th gear helps here but still would prefer the diesel.

Obviously if the diesel is more expensive then that's a different story. I do very little motorway driving but 95% on national roads sitting at 100kph ish. Always felt a fast petrol was wasted on those roads, and same with motorway.

My current car is diesel and I would find it more refined sitting at 100kph than a petrol golf, mainly due to the lower rpm.

I changed from diesel to petrol earlier this year and am glad to be back in petrol after 8 years of the dark stuff. Smoother engine on start up, sounds nicer under acceleration, less rattly at idle and my hands don't stink after filling it up.

The rise in fuel consumption was noticeable at the beginning, but now that I'm used to it, I don't notice.

Before I bought my GTi I had been looking at a 3.0 TDi A4 which someone else snapped up as I was dithering on price. I felt that this was the one that got away. Another one came up a couple of weeks ago, 2 years newer, great spec. I considered it but ultimately have decided to stick with petrol for the foreseeable future. I feel like diesel for my circumstances would be a step backward. Currently average around 20k kms p.a.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement