Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilson palacios

Might be a stupid question. Does the google home hub with the 7 inch screen work in Ireland.

Can’t seem to buy it locally.

Also is it any good.

Buying for the missus for Christmas, she will mainly use it to view recipes and play music, set timers and calendar notes.

Apologies as im not up to speed with these devices. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They work fine here, I have both sizes. They are not available to purchase in Ireland - but you can source them from UK stores. Are they any good? Yes! Are they good value - pricey, but if you get them at a discounted prices they are worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Might be a stupid question. Does the google home hub with the 7 inch screen work in Ireland.

Yes, I've one, excellent device and works fine here.

Only thing I had to buy it from the UK, using parcel motel, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Query for those in the greater know.
    Just got the max version of this and whenever the nest camera function in engaged a notification pops down from top of screen and green light enables.

I can't find a way to turn these off and a quick search fails to provide an answer.

Anyone know how to turn these features off?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

You can't turn that off. It's to let people in the room know the camera is active. I've mine set to only switch the camera on when nobody is at home.

• Advertisement

Shame, I'd like the choice to dismiss that notification, ah well

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame, I'd like the choice to dismiss that notification, ah well

Yeah, it's a privacy thing. You used to be able to disable the LEDs on their older cameras but not any more. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

They turned the light on by default about a year ago.

I bought these & they work REaLLY well

LightDims Black Out Edition - Light Blocking LED Covers For Routers, Electronics And Appliances And More Blocks 100% Of Light https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009WSN8PK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hUr6Db7XMF917

Black sticker on my white bezel !!!!!!!!

LOL, thanks anyhow

• Advertisement

Thanks, saw that after my post alright

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

arrowman wrote: »
    Could the hub be used to open the gate from the house?

Yes, easy peasy. You just need a Sonoff to provide what is know as a “dry contact” to the gate controller and set the inching for the Sonoff to 0.5 seconds. Any half descent electrician can do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

I bought a hub max recently, was playing with it and trying to set it up but I'm having trouble setting up the nest camera on it. It keeps telling me I appear to already have nest products so it won't let me set up the camera on the hub max. I don't have any other nest products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Bit disappointed that it won't play the Irish news. Ask for the news when I wake upon and I get BBC and CNN

EletricMan wrote: »
    I bought a hub max recently, was playing with it and trying to set it up but I'm having trouble setting up the nest camera on it. It keeps telling me I appear to already have nest products so it won't let me set up the camera on the hub max. I don't have any other nest products

Do you not need to setup a nest account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You can't create nest accounts anymore. Only Google ones are allowed as new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I can’t get my nest doorbell to connect to google account (hub) at all.
    When I try add it, it keeps trying to get me to login with neat account and when I try my google account details, I Get
    “Either your password is incorrect or you've migrated your account and need to sign in with Google.”

Anyone get this working?

Edit: just appeared itself this afternoon, very odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

If you buy one of these in Canada will it work in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone managed to get Deezer working on the Hub?

Bit disappointed that it won't play the Irish news. Ask for the news when I wake upon and I get BBC and CNN
    Mine plays RTE News.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Go into the home app and make sure you select English(Ireland) in the language drop down when selecting news sources. Mine was set to English(United Kingdom) by default and wouldn't play rte news as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

JDxtra wrote: »
    Mine plays RTE News.

Mine tells me "sorry I can't play news from RTE yet" just wondering is there something you did to make it play Irish news? Thanks

Mine tells me "sorry I can't play news from RTE yet" just wondering is there something you did to make it play Irish news? Thanks

Nothing at all, just checked it there now in case RTE were on a break and didn't record for today - but they did and it played no issue.

Go into your google assist app on your phone and change the setting for news from English UK to English Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Toddler driving me crazy on the Max Hub. Is there no way to lock the screen? Seems not.

Toddler driving me crazy on the Max Hub. Is there no way to lock the screen? Seems not.

Nearly sure I seen something on the google assist app about lock screen settings!

Either that or put it out of reach like we had to, for the same reason! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I tried breaking in mine with the 2.7 year old. I reasoned that if it was there, she'd bore of YouTube, Google Photos and eventually leave it alone. She didn't. It only comes out at night now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Is 69 sterling a good price for the 7" version?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8676041

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

£59 from the Google store. At least it was a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

£59 from the Google store. At least it was a few days ago.

Do you have a link by any chance? Can't find it on the Google store, only has the Google hub max for me

Edit - Found it. Thanks for the heads up

Advertisement