Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hydrogen powered production Hyundai Nexo does 778km on 1 tank.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Houses could replace their Kerosene and LPG tanks with a Hydrogen tank and fuel cell to produce Electricity for heating etc. A stable country like Saudi Arabia, Oman or Dubai, Northern Brazil etc. could blanket a few square miles of desert with Solar plants, use that renewable power to produce renewable Hydrogen from seawater and the oiltankers of the past would be replaced with Hydrogen tankers.

Why would you bother going to the hassle of using electricity to create hydrogen, then transport it, store it and convert it to electricity, when every house has electricity already??

It doesn't make any sort of sense. It takes more power to create hydrogen than you would ever get back through burning or a fuel cell.

The economic of these arguments don't stack up. Range anxiety is less and less a thing on you hit the 400-500km mark, which new EVs are hitting. Regarding charge times, if you can charge at home your time is zero. New Tesla fast charging can add 75 miles in 5 mins, which is more than enough to get you most places, people who buy EVs have accepted they may spend time waiting for cars to charge and plan accordingly.

You're comparing apples to oranges, current EV tech with future, mystical, 5-10 years in the future hydrogen technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I spoke with a friend of mine who works for a gas company (O2 to hospitals etc.) He said that he sees home alternative (solar/wind) powered hydrogen production, with local storage of both the gas and conversion to electricity, being the future for both home and transport needs. I'm not convinced its viable but he says there are major advances coming down the track.

I think he might be on to something as his company literally makes products from thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I know of a company who are heavily invested in H2O as a viable fuel and are making some in roads .

The efficiency of electrolysis is getting better and so is the engineering of cooling / storing hydrogen ... this company is already using wind and solar to generate H2O which is then being used in either fuel cells or converted back to Electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I spoke with a friend of mine who works for a gas company (O2 to hospitals etc.) He said that he sees home alternative (solar/wind) powered hydrogen production, with local storage of both the gas and conversion to electricity, being the future for both home and transport needs. I'm not convinced its viable but he says there are major advances coming down the track.

I think he might be on to something as his company literally makes products from thin air.
    Why would you generate H2 at home?
    It takes 3kWh of stored energy to make 1kWh of H2.
    Wouldnt you prefer to store that 3kWh to use as energy directly and remove the fool cell middle man?

I still don't understand the "Why?"

Why would you do this when you already have electricity to your home. You're wasting energy creating hydrogen and wasting energy turning it back to electricity.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I still don't understand the "Why?"

Why would you do this when you already have electricity to your home. You're wasting energy creating hydrogen and wasting energy turning it back to electricity.
    +1
    In a ratio of 2:1 wastage to production.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

He's talking ****e.

BloodBath wrote: »
    He's talking ****e.
    Maybe the gas that his company produces is methane, and he's supplying it himself from all the sh1te talk :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Why would you bother going to the hassle of using electricity to create hydrogen, then transport it, store it and convert it to electricity, when every house has electricity already??

It doesn't make any sort of sense. It takes more power to create hydrogen than you would ever get back through burning or a fuel cell.

The economic of these arguments don't stack up. Range anxiety is less and less a thing on you hit the 400-500km mark, which new EVs are hitting. Regarding charge times, if you can charge at home your time is zero. New Tesla fast charging can add 75 miles in 5 mins, which is more than enough to get you most places, people who buy EVs have accepted they may spend time waiting for cars to charge and plan accordingly.

You're comparing apples to oranges, current EV tech with future, mystical, 5-10 years in the future hydrogen technology.

Because you cannot store energy in batteries in the gargantuan volumes required for to power whole cities or countries.

Saudi Arabia could blanket a few hundred square kilometres of Empty Desert in Solar panels, molten salt variety mirror generators. Similarly countries like Iceland and the Philippines with vast geothermal resources could ramp up production of green energy and produce millions of barrels of Hydrogen for export where it could be turned back into Electricity for the National Grid and for to run Hydrogen vehicles.

Iceland could send a few Oil tankers sized bulk shipments of Hydrogen every day to New York and London, displacing carbon energy. Similarly the Philippines could export millions of barrels of Hydrogen to China.

You cannot just create such a floating battery and recharge it in the desert or geothermally and then bring it back because battery electric storage is not this advanced so Hydrogen is the solution, also Hydrogen is far less damaging to the Environment than Lithium which is a finite resource unlike Hydrogen which only requires Oxygen and Water and enough Green Energy for the production.

The entire global energy consumption could be met by renewables and that is before we factor in possible future Nuclear Fusion also.

theguzman wrote: »
    Because you cannot store energy in batteries in the gargantuan volumes required for to power whole cities or countries.

Saudi Arabia could blanket a few hundred square kilometres of Empty Desert in Solar panels, molten salt variety mirror generators. Similarly countries like Iceland and the Philippines with vast geothermal resources could ramp up production of green energy and produce millions of barrels of Hydrogen for export where it could be turned back into Electricity for the National Grid and for to run Hydrogen vehicles.

Iceland could send a few Oil tankers sized bulk shipments of Hydrogen every day to New York and London, displacing carbon energy. Similarly the Philippines could export millions of barrels of Hydrogen to China.

You cannot just create such a floating battery and recharge it in the desert or geothermally and then bring it back because battery electric storage is not this advanced so Hydrogen is the solution, also Hydrogen is far less damaging to the Environment than Lithium which is a finite resource unlike Hydrogen which only requires Oxygen and Water and enough Green Energy for the production.

The entire global energy consumption could be met by renewables and that is before we factor in possible future Nuclear Fusion also.

All of that totally ignores the economics of creating, storing, transporting and using hydrogen in the first place. You would need to charge 5 times more for hydrogen created electricity at least, at a time when it's cheaper and cheaper to directly power houses from renewables.
    Right now at this moment wind energy alone is powering half the country, with nary a fuel cell or battery in sight.

You cant draw direct comparisons between oil/gasoline and hydrogen because they're two completely different substances.

• Advertisement

That's a complete over simplification of the matter. There's lot's of rare earth metals needed for wind turbines and solar as well. Producing hydrogen will require more of these as it's pretty inefficient to produce. Transport ships are one of the biggest polluters on the planet as well not to mention all the trucks to transport it after that.

There is no way in hell Hydrogen production, transport and storage is greener than electricity through the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I don't see LPG or CNG having any future since they emit C02 and the whole mantra is towards lower and zero emissions and wheras modern BEV cars actually increase emissions over the most efficient "dirty Diesels" and I hope Hydrogen or else super capacitor tech is way forward because lithium ion batteries certainly are not.

BEVSs are NOT dirtier than diesel:
    https://innovationorigins.com/diesel-better-than-electric/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

All hydrogen filling station in Norway are still closed after an explosion at a filling station in June.

Fortunately, there are less than 200 hydrogen cars in Norway, so it doesn't affect too many people.

Sabre Man wrote: »

Anyone that thinks that is a complete and total moron in fairness. The "scientific" studies are completely flawed and most likely funded by the oil industry.

Diesel is filthy. Anyone that lives near a busy traffic area can attest to that now that every dickhead on the road is driving big diesel vehicles.

It should never have been allowed to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BloodBath wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks that is a complete and total moron in fairness.
    +1, while the manufacture of any car is "dirty" in operation leccy cars are significantly cleaner in operation, particularly locally.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement