Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

GreeBo wrote: »
    So how do they (fairly) calculate everyones index if its based on your home course rating (which can vary wildly depending on the time of year it gets rated)?

I don't think the ratings will come into calculating the base index though.
    If we're going live with the system on 2nd Nov, I assume (happy to stand corrected) they'll calculate your base index from your best 8 out of last 20 cards prior to this, i.e. under the "old" system, so the base will be subject to CSS etc. and course and slope rating won't come into that calculation. If this is the case my gut feeling is that lots of people will start with a base that's a shot or two lower than their closing H/C on 1st Nov. If we consider that for most normal people they'll have at least a few good rounds in their "best 8 of last 20", maybe even one or two very good rounds (if they're not careful :D:D!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »
    If we're going live with the system on 2nd Nov, I assume (happy to stand corrected) they'll calculate your base index from your best 8 out of last 20 cards prior to this, i.e. under the "old" system, so the base will be subject to CSS etc. and course and slope rating won't come into that calculation. If this is the case my gut feeling is that lots of people will start with a base that's a shot or two lower than their closing H/C on 1st Nov. If we consider that for most normal people they'll have at least a few good rounds in their "best 8 of last 20", maybe even one or two very good rounds (if they're not careful :D:D!!)

I cant see how the two marry together though.

So the new system is all based on the difficult of your course and how you manage against that difficulty.

How can you start using the new system if your starting point (your index) is going to be based on the old system.

Wouldnt that mean I'd have a different index if my home course was Milltown vs Druids Heath? (e.g. I play to 10 regularly enough in Milltown but struggle to play to 15 in Druids Heath, so is my index 10 or 15?)

Presumably it will all settle down after a year, but the first year of interclub will be....interesting.

So the new system is all based on the difficult of your course and how you manage against that difficulty.

How can you start using the new system if your starting point (your index) is going to be based on the old system.

Wouldnt that mean I'd have a different index if my home course was Milltown vs Druids Heath? (e.g. I play to 10 regularly enough in Milltown but struggle to play to 15 in Druids Heath, so is my index 10 or 15?)

Presumably it will all settle down after a year, but the first year of interclub will be....interesting.

Ya I know what you mean, but I think in broad terms the idea is that in theory at the moment there's no difference between a 5 handicap no matter where he's from, whereas effectively that will be used as a base to start off the new system, and your course handicap will change for each course and set of tees you play. I assume your index will also change as you play more rounds and by the time you've 20 rounds up you could have a totally new index, presumably mostly calculated at your home course.
    I'm kinda guessing with a lot of that tbh !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

hmmm, i would have thought that the will...... they should anyway!!!

• Advertisement

He is American so obviously seems to know best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Very interesting indeed.. especially the following...

"Players who play from the same tees at their club will see another inconsistency. Say your Course Rating is 70.5 and par is 71. The calculation of Course Rating minus Par comes out to -.5. Based on the way course handicaps are calculated, half the players will have their playing handicap drop one shot lower in the WHS but the other half will not; it all depends on how that -.5 impacts your course handicap number and whether you will get to round up or round down your final number. As we all know, one stroke often determines handicap-event outcomes."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    He is American so obviously seems to know best

He's also the guy who helped to create the original US system, so it feels like a lot of bias against changing the system he developed.

For a lot of his calculations, is he working the numbers in some way to come up with extremes to make it seem much worse than it is, relative to the USGA system?

Taking a 14.1 handicap index player & stating that he could vary from a handicap of 1 up to 22 depending on tees, just by adding the "Par" piece to the formula?

Or a scratch golfer playing anything from +12 to 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I don’t think Milltown and DH is the perfect example, but say if you played ElmGreen you might be 10, and Ballybunion off the tips you would be 15, but your underlying index would be say 12.5.

Your underlying index is what is constantly measured. You work out your handicap for the day before every round when you know where your playing and off what tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I don’t think Milltown and DH is the perfect example, but say if you played ElmGreen you might be 10, and Ballybunion off the tips you would be 15, but your underlying index would be say 12.5.

Your underlying index is what is constantly measured. You work out your handicap for the day before every round when you know where your playing and off what tees.

As a member at Elmgreen I am very interested in seeing these slopes. Because Elmgreen is far from easy. But it’s difficulty is very hard to measure in any easy way

I probably have a higher percentage of cuts at away opens

My form in boards comps unfortunately hasn’t backed this up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

If they want to slope earrings to be accurate they'll have to adjust based on how members do when they play away courses and on how away players do at their course. I don't think that's planned though. Seems to be based on length, hazards at landing areas, green speed, etc. Sounds like an okay starting point, but incomplete.

blue note wrote: »
    If they want to slope earrings to be accurate they'll have to adjust based on how members do when they play away courses and on how away players do at their course. I don't think that's planned though. Seems to be based on length, hazards at landing areas, green speed, etc. Sounds like an okay starting point, but incomplete.

Agree which results in people having advantages at opens and then conversely affecting their chances on home course

Well if away players do better than home players in opens, then surely the home club handicaps are too low? Especially if it's the case that players from that club perform above average in away opens themselves. But is that being looked at?

Well if away players do better than home players in opens, then surely the home club handicaps are too low? Especially if it's the case that players from that club perform above average in away opens themselves. But is that being looked at?

No this could happen if the slopes do not correctly represent the course difficulty

gypsy79 wrote: »
    As a member at Elmgreen I am very interested in seeing these slopes. Because Elmgreen is far from easy. But it’s difficulty is very hard to measure in any easy way

I probably have a higher percentage of cuts at away opens

My form in boards comps unfortunately hasn’t backed this up

its been a few years since i've played it, but i seem to recall that elm green is actually not that difficult a course. why do you think it is far from easy?

i think that you are mixed up.
    what a slope rating does is adjust a course based on how a scratch golfer and a bogey golfer would play the course, and yes all those points you make contribute towards the calculation.
    but when members play either home of away, their scores are not relevant to the slope.

its complicated, but i suspect once in operation, will make more sense to us all.

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think that you are mixed up.
    what a slope rating does is adjust a course based on how a scratch golfer and a bogey golfer would play the course, and yes all those points you make contribute towards the calculation.
    but when members play either home of away, their scores are not relevant to the slope.

its complicated, but i suspect once in operation, will make more sense to us all.

My understanding of how the slope rating is calculated is that it will consider factors like hazards at landing areas, length, green speed, etc and assign a difficulty (slope rating) based on all those factors.

I expect whatever criteria is applied it will throw up anomalies. Courses rated as easy that are anything but and vice versa. The result of these will be that members have handicaps that are higher than they should be and these players you would expect to perform better than average in open comps. And the reverse would obviously also be true.

So what I think the system should consider, is if the members of a particular club perform better than average in away comps and away players perform below average in opens in that club, then there must be factors not captured by the rating system that make a particular course more challenging or less challenging. But I don't believe it does this? So are there provisions in the system to deal with anomalies?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've read a bit on this and the whole thing leaves me baffled.

Very confused. Think this could take a few years to be implemented correctly. Slope ratings will be controversial and will lead to lots changing clubs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

No reason to believe the slope can't be changes, the club can apply to get the slope reviewed when there is changes made to the course but I'm sure it could get a review if the committee thinks that the slope is incorrect and putting its members at a disadvantage.

I don't envy the club handicap and competition secretary/committee when this new system comes in, there is going to be some amount of complaints, I worked out mine and got a shock.

I play a fairly wide but very long links course par73 slope is going to be near 130, there is another local parkland course too, very short tree lined par68, it is an easy course, slope won't be above 113, plenty of our members struggle on it due to the trees but it's slope is low, when our members find out that they are a, example, 15 handicap at home but only a 12 handicap at this course, its going to be fun.

Snotty wrote: »
    I play a fairly wide but very long links course par73 slope is going to be near 130, there is another local parkland course too, very short tree lined par68, it is an easy course, slope won't be above 113, plenty of our members struggle on it due to the trees but it's slope is low, when our members find out that they are a, example, 15 handicap at home but only a 12 handicap at this course, its going to be fun.

If its an easy course how are they struggling on it?

If its genuinely an easier course then it should have different handicap ratings under the new system. That would only be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If its an easy course how are they struggling on it?

If its genuinely an easier course then it should have different handicap ratings under the new system. That would only be fair.

Seems fairly obvious. The links golfer members are long hitters and wild off the tee. Suitable for their home course but not suitable for the very tight short track up the road as they are always driving it into trouble

Snotty wrote: »
    No reason to believe the slope can't be changes, the club can apply to get the slope reviewed when there is changes made to the course but I'm sure it could get a review if the committee thinks that the slope is incorrect and putting its members at a disadvantage.

I don't envy the club handicap and competition secretary/committee when this new system comes in, there is going to be some amount of complaints, I worked out mine and got a shock.

I've 2 concerns with that.

Firstly, are we going to be relying in clubs to request reviews of the ratings? Because I would suspect that every course will want to be rated difficult as a matter of pride. So if a course is rated harder than it actually is, then I wouldn't expect a club to query it.

Secondly, would they just be reassessed using the same criteria? In which case you're checking if they were assessed correctly the first time as opposed to checking if the course is more or less difficult based on something the assessment criteria doesn't look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've 2 concerns with that.

Firstly, are we going to be relying in clubs to request reviews of the ratings? Because I would suspect that every course will want to be rated difficult as a matter of pride. So if a course is rated harder than it actually is, then I wouldn't expect a club to query it.

Secondly, would they just be reassessed using the same criteria? In which case you're checking if they were assessed correctly the first time as opposed to checking if the course is more or less difficult based on something the assessment criteria doesn't look at.
    Slope rating is based on the bogey golfer. So you're looking at a player who won't reach the green in regulation unless it's a shorter par 4 or 5. And whether there are hazards that come into play for those golfers. And that rating affects members as much as visitors, so I'm not sure why a course would want to be rated 'harder' in terms of slope.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Slope rating is based on the bogey golfer. So you're looking at a player who won't reach the green in regulation unless it's a shorter par 4 or 5. And whether there are hazards that come into play for those golfers. And that rating affects members as much as visitors, so I'm not sure why a course would want to be rated 'harder' in terms of slope.

But my point is that no set of criteria will be comprehensive enough to capture everything that makes a course easy or difficult for a bogey golfer (or any type of golfer) for that matter. Wind behaves in funny ways on certain courses / holes. How will the criteria consider wind? I'm guessing they'll look at prevailing wind and maybe average wind speeds in the area? But some courses are particularly windy or sheltered. Maybe they'll look at whether it's links or parkland, but some parkland are exceptionally windy.

And that's just a little bit of what you could say about wind. Shots can get a surprising amount of run on some courses, probably due to natural soil conditions or something. Some courses have much thicker rough than others (not just longer). Will they be assessing thickness of rough? Can you do that accurately?

It just seems to me that if you only assess courses on criteria like length, fairway width, etc that you'll be limited by how complete your criteria is. You need another source to assess how accurate your system is. And for me looking at how players from a club perform in other clubs seems like a way of doing this. Because if they go to other clubs and over a reasonable period of time perform above average, then their handicaps must be too high. And they're high based on the slope rating of their home course.

And courses want to be rated as harder because everyone wants to believe their own course is harder than average. That way when shoot an average of 90 they can believe they'd be shooting an average of below 90 on most courses (when in fact they might be further from 80s if they played elsewhere). It's just like no golfer believing they're slower than average.

I suppose the question is whether people think the assesment criteria is robust enough to rate courses accurately and if not what is going to happen when it doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I think what is causing such discussion here and why it will likely cause much more controversy in Ireland than anywhere else in the world is the fact that Ireland has a system of opens that is not really replicated anywhere else in the world and a significant amount of interclub competition for handicap golfers. In the U.K. and in the US there is much less of a prevalence of both, so accurate handicapping is less significant as anything competitive away from home is a team event or maybe a member guest.

I do think once everyone gets their head around it it makes much more sense than it appears on paper, and is much closer to what the CONGU system currently does than appears on paper. When I moved to the US for the first few months I was totally lost as to how it all worked but now it seems totally natural. I just wonder how my club I’m now returning to will calculate my handicap, will they take my existing world handicap index and just transfer it across or will they make me do 3 cards, which seems silly

Overall it will be fine. I just expect the odd club to have a bit of a crazy rating.

The interclub comps I didn't comment on. From what I hear they have enough trouble with accurate handicaps already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But my point is that no set of criteria will be comprehensive enough to capture everything that makes a course easy or difficult for a bogey golfer (or any type of golfer) for that matter. Wind behaves in funny ways on certain courses / holes. How will the criteria consider wind? I'm guessing they'll look at prevailing wind and maybe average wind speeds in the area? But some courses are particularly windy or sheltered. Maybe they'll look at whether it's links or parkland, but some parkland are exceptionally windy.

And that's just a little bit of what you could say about wind. Shots can get a surprising amount of run on some courses, probably due to natural soil conditions or something. Some courses have much thicker rough than others (not just longer). Will they be assessing thickness of rough? Can you do that accurately?
    They assess the course by visiting it. If wind is a factor all the time then it'll be a factor when it's assessed. Same for run and other factors. These assessments aren't done on paper. Somebody posted a list of the criteria on this thread and it's pretty comprehensive. And slope rating is only one factor in calculating handicaps for a given course/tees. Course rating also plays a part as does par (as noted above).
    It just seems to me that if you only assess courses on criteria like length, fairway width, etc that you'll be limited by how complete your criteria is. You need another source to assess how accurate your system is. And for me looking at how players from a club perform in other clubs seems like a way of doing this. Because if they go to other clubs and over a reasonable period of time perform above average, then their handicaps must be too high. And they're high based on the slope rating of their home course.
    Slope rating is a neutral calculation for home players who play only on their home course. If it's artificially too high, those players will see their handicap index reduced baecause the course plays easier than the slope rating would suggest. And the same will happen if they play away (assuming the away course has an accurate slope rating).
    And courses want to be rated as harder because everyone wants to believe their own course is harder than average. That way when shoot an average of 90 they can believe they'd be shooting an average of below 90 on most courses (when in fact they might be further from 80s if they played elsewhere). It's just like no golfer believing they're slower than average.
    Whether or not they want it to 'seem' harder should have no effect whatsoever on its rating. Position of bunkers and hazards can't be changed. Messing around with grass cut height will just draw attention to an issue that shouldn't exist on a well maintained course. Especially when things like frequency and height of mowing is part of the assessment criteria. And it takes a big variance to affect handicaps. A massive increase in rating of 10 points would only make an 8% handicap index change before course rating and par come into the picture.

Slopes etc have been used around the world for about 40 years now. They make sense. I don’t think I would worry about the introduction of slopes as being any issue.

Following on from the slope, A handicap index makes sense, meaning your handicap will vary depending on the course you are playing. It is all quite logical I think and should even the playing field. THe thing is nothing is ever going to even the playing field perfectly all the time, that’s just the nature of the game.

The only issue I really have is that your handicap index can increase so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The question that the unions won’t answer is will your handicap index be based on your playing history with slope or without.

It will make a substantial difference as a kicking off point.

J

Advertisement