Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

In the interview, said he wouldn’t go any further, then again, he said that yesterday too.
    Delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think if he'd lost that frame his head would have been mush, but a great win for him. Seemed to off a cliff last 12-18 months but eminently forgivable for a player so young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

His next match is against John Higgins, who is looking very beatable. So he could easily reach the semis.

Liang Wenbo goes through 6-4 over Li Hang. He'll play the winner of Ronnie/Ding. Remarkable to see Liang doing so well given that he lost his mother during the tournament and had to fly back to China for the funeral before returning to play in the second round.

The remaining last-16 matches will be played tomorrow.

1 pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ding Junhui

Gary Wilson vs Nigel Bond

7 pm

Michael White vs Stephen Maguire

Matthew Stevens vs Mark Selby

• Advertisement

First frame to Ding. Ronnie's 44th birthday today.

EDIT: 2-0 now. Ding will take some stopping today. He's playing beautifully.

Few sloppy errors from ronnie with safety, but ding taken chances well to be fair to him.

And then goes and hits the wrong red! Thats most unusual. Another chance for ding.

Ding knocks in a century to make it 3-0 and Ronnie hasn't potted a ball yet.

Its very impressive. Fascinating to see what kind of response ronnie can muster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie can turn this around as easily as ding went ahead.

Ronnie's birthday today. 44 years young. Who would've thought he'd still be at the top at this age.

Ding and Ronnie off to the midsession interval at 3-1 while Bond and Wilson haven't finished their second frame yet.

Ronnie always liked Ding. He mentored him somewhat when Ding landed on the scene a good few years back but Ding never seemed to go on to that other level.
    We'll see what way this goes.

Lol, Ronnie and Ding are back out after their interval, and it's still 1-0 on the other table.

Cueballs not exactly on a string way you normally expect but balls are going down which is all that matters at the moment.

Lol, Ronnie and Ding are back out after their interval, and it's still 1-0 on the other table.

66 minute marathon for the second frame. A snooker purists wettest dream!

Cueballs on a string now alright. Danger for ding you'd have to think.

Very topsy turvy match. Just as ronnie looking in the groove, he starts to miss. Can ding close it out here?

Well done ding. Deserved victory.

Bbc analysis been a bit strange for me, almost like we've been witnessing a classic for the ages. It was interesting, ding was good early, ronnie had mid match purple patch but had errors and strange shots too. Ronnie virtually gave up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie was questioning if Ding could stay in the top 16 and even saying he could drop down to 50 or 60 last week. Said he doesn't like playing on the outside tables.

Anyway Ding vs Wenbo next is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Gary Wilson is a player who I find it hard to like.

Yes, Ding plays Liang next. Three Chinese players in the quarterfinals this year.

Well done ding. Deserved victory.

Bbc analysis been a bit strange for me, almost like we've been witnessing a classic for the ages. It was interesting, ding was good early, ronnie had mid match purple patch but had errors and strange shots too. Ronnie virtually gave up in the end.

I hate the analysis from the BBC or Euro-sport for that matter when Ronnie is at the table. Every shot is a "master stroke" and "another brilliant safety from O'Sullivan" ffs, when he is playing average or below par, it is quite evident.
    Anyway /rant.

cadaliac wrote: »
    I hate the analysis from the BBC or Euro-sport for that matter when Ronnie is at the table. Every shot is a "master stroke" and "another brilliant safety from O'Sullivan" ffs, when he is playing average or below par, it is quite evident.
    Anyway /rant.

Ha, rant or not, i wouldnt disagree. It was a good match, exciting for a time, but it was never as good as they were portraying it. Parrott is the worst for it. Ding has to go follow it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ha, rant or not, i wouldnt disagree. It was a good match, exciting for a time, but it was never as good as they were portraying it. Parrott is the worst for it. Ding has to go follow it up now.

Hendry told the truth in his analysis (He always does in fairness - a man of high standards).
    He said that Ronnie handed Ding the game on plate.

--

Personally I found it telling in the post match interview that Ronnie said he would rather lose 6-4 and play in under 2 hours. Instead of win 6-4 and win in six. Then he commented on the speed of the Bond/Wilson game that it looked like a struggle.

If Ronnie was willing to getting a battle and did not try and go for hail mary shots (like the red in the centre) last frame he could have won it.
    It is a pity that he is unwilling to mix his game up a bit more. The likes of John Higgins is capable of doing it and grinding out a frame, as well as the other stuff.
    What annoys me with Ronnie is that he seems to think there is only one way to play the game, and that is go for everything all the time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

yeah, I mentioned before that Ronnie likes Ding - therefore doesn't mind loosing to him (if there is such a thing)
    Moreover, he doesn't hate him like lets say Ebdon or someone who will intentionally slow the match down and infuriate Ronnie.

The tournament is really interesting though. It is anyone's really now.
    Would like to see Yan win it, or some fella that has never won it before.

cadaliac wrote: »
    yeah, I mentioned before that Ronnie likes Ding - therefore doesn't mind loosing to him (if there is such a thing)
    Moreover, he doesn't hate him like lets say Ebdon or someone who will intentionally slow the match down and infuriate Ronnie.

I was thinking that Ding's style of play suits Ronnie,fast free flowing no time to dwell on frames. If Ding slowed things down a bit on occasion it would disrrupt Ronnie far more. I am not saying he goes 'the full Ebdon' Selby just the odd time.
    Stop Ronnie from clicking into gear so easy.

Hendry told the truth in his analysis (He always does in fairness - a man of high standards).
    He said that Ronnie handed Ding the game on plate.

--

Personally I found it telling in the post match interview that Ronnie said he would rather lose 6-4 and play in under 2 hours. Instead of win 6-4 and win in six. Then he commented on the speed of the Bond/Wilson game that it looked like a struggle.

If Ronnie was willing to getting a battle and did not try and go for hail mary shots (like the red in the centre) last frame he could have won it.
    It is a pity that he is unwilling to mix his game up a bit more. The likes of John Higgins is capable of doing it and grinding out a frame, as well as the other stuff.
    What annoys me with Ronnie is that he seems to think there is only one way to play the game, and that is go for everything all the time.

I do agree on the whole. Though i would say i have seen ronnie dig in to win matches plenty of times, he has the best safety game ever and i love when he brings it to the table. He didn't today for his own unfathomable reasons, but that's just him. I thought he'd have total focus to win this out but he was more 70% about it in the end. Dont want to take away from ding, he played well today so fair play to him for it.

• Advertisement

Bond back from dead here. Going to be 4-5 and about to eclipse his previous match high break of 29!

Advertisement