Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Someones gone and done it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Bond back from dead here.

We meet again, Mr Bond...

The Nal wrote: »
    Someones gone and done it!

Oh that's brilliant. Love it :pac:

Bond/Wilson goes to a deciding frame. Ronnie must be halfway home by now and these two are still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I quite enjoyed that i gotta admit, bit of a masochist when it comes to a good old fashioned grind. Bond just with the greater bottle, simple as.

• Advertisement

Well done to Bond. No mean feat making it to the quarterfinals at age 54, knocking out the world champion en route. I don't think he'll get past Mark Allen but he's had a great tournament and has nothing to lose now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

QUOTE=waynescales1;111944458]Gary Wilson is a player who I find it hard to like.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about him but he made a right fool of himself by playing on in the final frame when he needed nine snookers to win and then conceded the match on his opponents shot. If i was Bond i would have said no and played on just to drive him crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This run from Nigel Bond deserves more recognition. He’s beaten Brecel, Trump and now come from 5-2 down to beat Wilson 6-5. Won 3 of his 4 matches 6-5. All at the age of 54, ranked no. 98. Oldest quarter finalist since Fred Davis in 1980 (aged 67).

Gary Wilson playing on needing 9 snookers...

Wilson is a world semi finalist so its another decent scalp.

Stevens leading Selby 3-1 at the midsession interval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Matthew Stevens always had that bit of class as a player. Did well up to the mid 2000s could have rivalled the three class of 92 players, having turned pro gimself in 94, but just drifted off the scene and down the rankings this decade.

Like willo winning the Worlds be interesting to see Stevens get a bit of a run here.

Stevens had lot of talent but being harsh, he lacked the bottle of the really top players. No ruthless streak.

Like to see him do well though. Him, white and bond are three players i wouldnt have picked for the q/fs if you'd given me 5 goes.

Stevens had real ability. Reached the semifinals or the final of the world championship for 5 out of 6 years between 1999 and 2005, and also won the UK and the Masters. Never managed to really capitalize fully on his talent, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I suspect the drink took hold of him. Hard to put in the hours practice required when that happens. Great to see him back playing well.

Stevens had real ability. Reached the semifinals or the final of the world championship for 5 out of 6 years between 1999 and 2005, and also won the UK and the Masters. Never managed to really capitalize fully on his talent, though.

That was an era when you had ronnie, higgins, Williams entering their peak with hendry still a force and even davis competitive. Add ken, ebdon, mcmanus, a young paul hunter, stephen lee etc. Depth of talent then was incredible which is why it bugs me a little to hear the bbc go on relentlessly about how so much better the standard is now. I just don't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Trivia at the interval: Hendry got whitewashed by Marcus Campbell 9-0 at the 1998 UK championship!

Don't remember it but wasn't following it a lot at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Trivia at the interval: Hendry got whitewashed by Marcus Campbell 9-0 at the 1998 UK championship!

Don't remember it but wasn't following it a lot at the time.

Yea that rings a bell now you mention it. Those of us that were Jimmy White fans and general ABH's back then were delighted :D

I also fondly remember Jimmy beating Hendry 10-4 in the first round of the 1998 World Championship. One of my all time favourite results.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was an era when you had ronnie, higgins, Williams entering their peak with hendry still a force and even davis competitive. Add ken, ebdon, mcmanus, a young paul hunter, stephen lee etc. Depth of talent then was incredible which is why it bugs me a little to hear the bbc go on relentlessly about how so much better the standard is now. I just don't agree with them.

I would say it was better in the top 16 in the era you are talking about. But beyond that in the top 64 it is better now. More depth overall.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I do agree on the whole. Though i would say i have seen ronnie dig in to win matches plenty of times, he has the best safety game ever and i love when he brings it to the table. He didn't today for his own unfathomable reasons, but that's just him. I thought he'd have total focus to win this out but he was more 70% about it in the end. Dont want to take away from ding, he played well today so fair play to him for it.

I was thinking that Ronnie had a better all round game when Dracula Reardon was 'managing' him in 2004.
    Was less flighty and would play the percentages more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Stevens does an awful lot of contortions with his face. Reminds me of Sal in Impractical Jokers

Maguire goes through, beating White 6-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That shot on the blue by Stevens there, must have been about 2 foot of cue between bridge and cueball. Have to get the rest out for that, especially at 4-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Dante7 wrote: »
    I suspect the drink took hold of him. Hard to put in the hours practice required when that happens. Great to see him back playing well.

There’s a certain Scott that would beg to differ, currently.
    Edit: Northern Ireland- Christ, got that well wrong, apologies

That shot on the blue by Stevens there, must have been about 2 foot of cue between bridge and cueball. Have to get the rest out for that, especially at 4-4.

Some players do anything to avoid the rest!

Standard here is pretty bad but gripping in its own way. Get a decider and we could be here half the night!

I would say it was better in the top 16 in the era you are talking about. But beyond that in the top 64 it is better now. More depth overall.

I'd say big difference now is standard of uk, ireland players has declined and game has gone more global. Good and bad in that i think. I just dont like bbc trotting it out like its undisputed fact i guess, thats all that gets me really.

What a shot

Come on Stevens

5 all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Just flicked over in time. Some clearance there. Rooting for Stevens

Advertisement