Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HYPNOSIS

Options
  • 12-01-2013 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Whats your views on this folks?
    Am trying to find a way to curb my sugar addiction and am wondering might this be an option worth exploring?
    Would love to hear anyone who has an experience to share.
    Cheers

Wasnt sure where was the most appropriate place to post this mods...feel free to move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I know this is a strange question but it does have a point...

Do you believe in hypnosis or are you trying it as a novelty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

More a fair than strange question to be fair!
    I'm somewhere in the middle on that one tbh.
    Am very tempted to give it a go and see if it could be of help and was just interested in hearing other stories/experiences of it.
    Feel free to share yours....

I like my magic, hypnosis and psychology.

Hypnosis is highly dependent on the person. It relies on them being open to suggestion and I believe Derren Brown put it best in his book.

"The subjects belief is everything. If they believe they are hypnotized then they still are. There belief is everything." --Paraphrased

So it may or may not work for you depending on you and how convincing the person is who is preforming the hypnosis.....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Hypnosis is highly dependent on the person. It relies on them being open to suggestion and I believe Derren Brown put it best in his book.

"The subjects belief is everything. If they believe they are hypnotized then they still are. There belief is everything." --Paraphrased

So it may or may not work for you depending on you and how convincing the person is who is preforming the hypnosis.....

So those hypnosis cd's will work as long as you are convinced they will work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I did it for quitting smoking years ago.

The hypnotist got me into a very relaxed out-of-it kind of state, she had me imagining myself in a peaceful quiet place, which I can still conjure up now years later.

In a way it was a kind of deep meditation. Much more holistic than I expected. It felt really good.

Didnt cure my smoking but that was entirely down to me. I'd say if you're curious then go for it.

IF you believe and are open to that kind of influence then likely to have some impact.

Same theory as a placebo or someone giving you extra encouragement.

At the end of the day its all up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Same theory as a placebo or someone giving you extra encouragement.

Yes. Its about "suggestion". And also teaching self hypnosis. For long term results a good hypnotist will teach you to do it to yourself.

Kind of meditative positive thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

they are no where near as effective as a personalised session ,
    Am trying to find a way to curb my sugar addiction and am wondering might this be an option worth exploring?

I am a fully qualified hypnotherapist , sugar addiction is one of the big reasons for people seeking treatment, it is usually coupled with weight loss therapy and is very effective

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

[QUOTE=crotalus667;82768941

I am a fully qualified hypnotherapist , sugar addiction is one of the big reasons for people seeking treatment, it is usually coupled with weight loss therapy and is very effective[/QUOTE]

What else would you say in fairness?

• Advertisement

Hypnosis can't make you do anything that, deep down, you don't want to do.
    Conversely, it can allow subjects to do things that normally they might feel too inhibited to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

frankosw wrote: »
    What else would you say in fairness?

If it was not effective for sugar addiction i would say so , I turn down paying clients that have unrealistic expectatons or want treatments that are not effective :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

If it was not effective for sugar addiction i would say so , I turn down paying clients that have unrealistic expectatons or want treatments that are not effective :rolleyes:

There's no such thing as "sugar addiction"..just people who eat too much of it..can you treat opiate addiction maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OP. Hypnosis may be effective, but you would have to discuss your "addiction" in detail before any hypnotist could say they can help. It's different for everyone, but if you call a hypnotist and he/she says, "yeah, sure, no problem, I do that all the time." I advise you to hang up and call someone else, as you're being fed a line. I see a couple of thousand new clients per year and I might have 1, or 2 with "sugar addiction". Most clients are smokers, or weight loss, but rarely sugar addiction. Were you a heavy smoker? If so, when you stopped smoking, is this when you started to crave sugar in this way? The two are almost always linked in my experience and a different approach is needed if this is the case. Regular sugar addiction suggestions will fail if this is not taken into account.

That's pretty much spot on. If the client has no belief, it makes it very difficult to treatthem. Belief is important for any treatment though, not just hypnosis. The big problem we have here is that hypnosis is not yet recognised by mainstream health professionals/organistations to a large degree, so it receives very little attention and is lumped in with reiki, angel cards and voodoo.

The results depend on the client letting go, but the therapist often has to explain the process properly to achieve the desired results. All too often, it's not explained properly, or at all. This leads to inconsistent results.

Not really. IMO, they are a waste of money unless you just want one for relaxation. The suggestions are specific enough, or tailored to the client, so they will not stick with the vast majority of people.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    I did it for quitting smoking years ago.

The hypnotist got me into a very relaxed out-of-it kind of state, she had me imagining myself in a peaceful quiet place, which I can still conjure up now years later.

In a way it was a kind of deep meditation. Much more holistic than I expected. It felt really good.

Didnt cure my smoking but that was entirely down to me. I'd say if you're curious then go for it.

After successful hypnosis, smoking is a choice, as it is with all non-smokers. The idea is that the habits, cravings and associations are removed. SO, if the person wishes not to smoke, they will feel no need. However, if the person simply thinks they "need" to stop smoking, but don't really "want" to stop, hypnosis will not cure free will.

Most hypnotists choose the relaxation approach, myself often included, but it's not the only approach. It is easy that way with most people. Relax them to open the mind.

Again, spot on, with the exception of the "placebo" mention. It's not a placebo, as the suggestions have a direct impact on sub-conscious behaviours, where a placebo is aimed at the conscious mind.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yes. Its about "suggestion". And also teaching self hypnosis. For long term results a good hypnotist will teach you to do it to yourself.

Kind of meditative positive thinking.

A hypnotist with plenty of spare time might teach some self hypnosis techniques. I never have time for this. I usually have clients in for 90 minutes and barely have time to eat a sandwich, because the next one will be waiting in reception. Falling behind has a knock-on effect I try to avoid if possible. Teaching self hypnosis would simply be too time consuming, but I may make a download available on my websit for self hypnosis, so i'm glad you mentioned it.
    they are no where near as effective as a personalised session ,

I am a fully qualified hypnotherapist , sugar addiction is one of the big reasons for people seeking treatment, it is usually coupled with weight loss therapy and is very effective

I'm quite surprised at this. WHat part of the country are you based? I see very few people with sugar addictions. I do see lots of people with weight issues who love to eat all the wrong foods, like chocolate, biscuits, pies and takeouts, but it's very, very rarely a sugar addiction issue. I'm genuinely curious on your views and experience here. You can PM me.

Hypnosis can't make you do anything that, deep down, you don't want to do.
    Conversely, it can allow subjects to do things that normally they might feel too inhibited to do.

True.

Indeed, some people expect us to have a magic wand to wish away their every little problem in a single session. It sometimes hurts (especially in the middle of the day) when I am forced to send someone home without treatment. They get taken aback, but it's better than taking their money when the therapy is not likely to benefit them. This is especially tru of January smokers. I sent a few home this month. Also anoerexia when the client wants to lose weight. Of course, there is nothing that we can do there most of the time, as it would be a moral hazard and very dangerous to give them what they want.
    frankosw wrote: »
    There's no such thing as "sugar addiction"..just people who eat too much of it..can you treat opiate addiction maybe?

That's like saying there's no such thing as drug addiction, just people who use too much drugs. Sugar addiction is a very real thing, as it has a massive impact on the persons body and alters their behaviours, often spinning out rationalisation as to why it's a good idea to consume more high sugar foods, or drinks. It's very rare to see someone with this issue in my experience, but as a matter of fact, I had one today (yesterday technically). A doctor, working close to 100 hours per week who quite clearly has a dependency on high sugar drinks and foods. Unfortunately, her career is the most inhibiting factor and a number of sessions would be required to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Has anyone ever received hypnosis for alcohol addiction??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well you're certainly making me sleepy.

Any opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

Cheers

Wasnt sure where was the most appropriate place to post this mods...feel free to move.

Hypnosis is good but you have to look for a good therapist because it can be also dangerous if will be done wrong way.
    If you will decide to go- please let me know how was it. I am curious how you will feel after this.
    Anyway I think you should contact with registered nutritionist who will help you to understand healthy eating habits (including getting rid of sugar addiction) f.ex. here: www.foodclinicdiet.com

I have an appointment on Friday with a hypnotherapist for alcohol addiction, I really hope it goes well, I've tried everything from rehab, AA, cold turkey, meditation, counselling and so on but never seems to help me.I feel like a lost cause at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

candycock wrote: »
    I have an appointment on Friday with a hypnotherapist for alcohol addiction, I really hope it goes well, I've tried everything from rehab, AA, cold turkey, meditation, counselling and so on but never seems to help me.I feel like a lost cause at this stage.

Fingers across! I am pround of you. This is really important that you try.
    Be close to your God, ask for strength, send love to yourself.
    Be patient, you will do this <3

• Advertisement

Thank you I will post here on how it went for me.

Advertisement