Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor complaining about my instrument

Options
13»

Comments

There are electrics harps and also electric acoustic harps.

To buy a new harp though is very expensive.

What about a harp mute OP?

They are not expensive ..you might need more than one for the whole harp though is it a concert harp?

I am sure you can find one in a music store ..or online.

I know you can get violin mutes that totally silence the noise or simply soften it greatly.

It may be expensive but I think it's fair and reasonable to say that is the price you pay if you want to play a harp in an apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It may be expensive but I think it's fair and reasonable to say that is the price you pay if you want to play a harp in an apartment block.

I think it's fair and reasonable to say that being able to hear other people living their daily lives is the price you pay if you live in an apartment block.

See how that logic works?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think it's fair and reasonable to say that being able to hear other people living their daily lives is the price you pay if you live in an apartment block.

See how that logic works?

Playing a harp or anything at all without a volume dial or earphones is in no way going about your daily life. It's being a nuisance to your neighbours, its disrespectful, selfish and pretentious. People have a right to live in their homes in peace without being intruded on. It is clearly causing her neighbour distress otherwise she wouldn't have gone to the bother of complaining. We all have noisy hobbies and interests, but only a few feel the rest of our neighbours must be subjected to it and even fewer would take the attitude you are suggesting that everyone must endure the nuisance as if you are some sort of special case because you play a musical instrument.

Plug in earphones and get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Plug in earphones and get over yourself.

Also logic that could be applied to the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Also logic that could be applied to the neighbour.

Well not really. The OP is the one making the noise, surely it’s on them to reduce it, not on their neighbours to buy earplugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

Don't be intimidated by self entitled people. As long as you are playing in reasonable hours which you say, and have made adjustments, you should keep up the practise.

If you stop because of your neighbour she'll just be back when you are hoovering, or using a blender or a hairdryer.

The world needs musicians more than your neighbour satisfying her power rush.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod:

This is one of those threads that could go on forever, but I think it's run its course at this stage.

OP, I'm going to close the thread but if you would like it reopened at any stage, let me or one of the PI mods know.

Thanks & grma all who posted. Best of luck OP.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement