Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MMA Coahing Credentials of Ido Portal

Options
  • 08-03-2016 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

As we all know Ido Portal has been steadily increasing his role in McGregor's training.

Bangkok+training+ministery+019.JPG

Ido Portal describes himself as a movement expert. From what I can gather he has never trained a top level MMA athlete before yet here he is leading a training session.

PlumpAnimatedArchaeocete.gif

He himself has stated that;
    If Conor lost - I would be the man to take the blame as I am the new factor in the equation and doing things differently. I can take that and as they say - 'if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen' but... He won. I don't want to take the credit for that. Conor is his own man

And also stated that in regards to his role in Connor's training...
    They are a small chain of decisions, decisions that must be made right. And I was a part of those decisions. What to take, when to do, what to do, what to not do. It’s a huge part, what to not do in training, in a session. Keeping them fresh, keeping them in tune, keeping the body very soft, which is very misunderstood.

But that's not all, he goes into more depth regarding his role;
    The movement teacher must be a dancer. The movement teacher must be a strength and conditioning coach. The movement teacher must be an acrobat. The movement teacher must be a therapist. It’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of study into these fields, learning to see the common things and to see the important things and to let go of the less important things."

He also spars with Connor using a big stick. Apparently this is more useful than actually sparring with actual training partners.

2E2EE02C00000578-0-image-a-28_1446833595053.jpg

The guy considers himself a bit of a philosopher
    'Movement complexity is the reason we became human,' he says in a promotional video. 'The reason for our brain development and our departure and ascent to the top of the food chain is related to movement complexity.'

Last weekend Ido Portal cornered Conor McGregor, barking out instructions as Conor began to lose. In the weeks leading up to the fight he was doing pad work with Conor. From what I can see this guy is a waffley Hipster that has McGregor in his clutches.

Again the video
    PlumpAnimatedArchaeocete.gif

What are your opinions on Ido Portal and his 'movement' philosophy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

it's mostly snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

"Use the force Conor! Use the force"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think he can be blamed for the loss , but I think Mcgregors coaching team might want to take a look the level of involvement he is having and that the time might be better spent elsewhere , like sparring with high level boxers or working on ground skill improvement, maybe even outside SBG. Do I think Ido Portal is a waffling hipster...yes I do. But again , it's Conor and his team who are buying it.

Diaz said something that pretty much hit the nail on the head either before or after the fight, have to admit it's pretty funny as well.

' I spent my training time fighting top level fighters, he spends it playing touch butt with some goofball in a park'

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

He brings him in 2 weeks before the fight to keep loose and fresh. All his sparring rounds are in the bag and conditioning. I wouldn't considering him as a trainer, just someone brought it to keep him ticking over in fight week.

Carlos Condit also has a 'movement' coach. Most people are over thinking and reaching for some sort of good/bad angle for it. They do some unorthodox stretching and some balance techniques, I don't see the reason people are fussed about it.

The stick and pool noodle is nothing either, I've seen a guy throw a tennis ball at Anderson Silva while he stood against a wall, it's virtually the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He's only with him when he's finishing his camp to stay loose and not get injured. And possibly for publicity too.

He spars with real fighters. You know this. Don't be obtuse. Being hit with that noodle is very common in boxing, only its done with a towel or something of that variety. Or they throw balls at the person and they have to dodge them. Helps with your reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I think your underestimating his role in the camp. Read his own quotes, he is very much involved in all aspects of Conor's training and was in his corner on Saturday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

WarZ wrote: »
    I think your underestimating his role in the camp. Read his own quotes, he is very much involved in all aspects of Conor's training and was in his corner on Saturday night!

BS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Apart from himself,the only person I'd blame is his strength and conditioning coaches,clearly had no cardio even allowing for the bombs he threw.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Apart from himself,the only person I'd blame is his strength and conditioning coaches,clearly had no cardio even allowing for the bombs he threw.

Surely there's better S&C coaches out there that he could hire... maybe an ex premier league one or someone from the NFL. I know that nationality has nothing to do with ability to be a coach but surely there are elite guys he could afford to get the best out of him and these elite guys won't be Irish.

Ido Portal has himself said that he is in charge of Conor's strength and conditioning

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ido Portal has himself said that he is in charge of Conor's strength and conditioning

Head over to the wwe forum you're boring us now,ta.

Just like Steven Seagal taught Anderson Silva how to do a front kick.

Just like Steven Seagal taught Anderson Silva how to do a front kick.

Well someone's lying. Ido Portal has explicitly said he is doing Conor's strength and conditioning work, he was in his corner on the weekend with John Kavanagh and Roddy. He has a much bigger role than you give him credit for.

Well someone's lying. Ido Portal has explicitly said he is doing Conor's strength and conditioning work

Steven Seagal also explicitly said he taught Anderson the kick he used to beat Vitor Belfort. There's a post fight interview with him. I'm sure you can find it on youtube if you look. Sometimes people lie :eek:

Do you think the bulk of Conor's S&C is done in the last two weeks of a fight? Do you have any knowledge or experience of what happens in a full camp?

Steven Seagal also explicitly said he taught Anderson the kick he used to beat Vitor Belfort. There's a post fight interview with him. I'm sure you can find it on youtube if you look. Sometimes people lie :eek:

Do you think the bulk of Conor's S&C is done in the last two weeks of a fight? Do you have any knowledge or experience of what happens in a full camp?

Ido Portal was in Conor's corner. He is given unprecedented access to McGregor. He doesn't just join up two weeks before the fight anymore, he is constantly around McGregor these days, making him punch candles and mimicking animal movements.

Ido Portal was in Conor's corner. He is given unprecedented access to McGregor. He doesn't just join up two weeks before the fight anymore, he is constantly around McGregor these days, making him punch candles and mimicking animal movements.

Ido Portal was in Sydney 3 weeks ago. Check his instagram. Please stop making things up :)

Ido Portal was in Sydney 3 weeks ago. Check his instagram. Please stop making things up :)

There also a photo of him training McGregor 8 weeks ago. So I guess im not making anything up.

this thread

800px-cowpie-jeffvanuga.jpg

There also a photo of him training McGregor 8 weeks ago. So I guess im not making anything up.

And here he is in Australia 5 weeks ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBD4XRvFJZb/?taken-by=portal.ido&hl=en

He landed in LA 2 weeks ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCHC6wqlJbm/?taken-by=portal.ido&hl=en

So how did McGregor cope without his S&C coach for those three weeks? Or could it be that he doesn't actually have an important role?

Great contribution. I am trying to have an actual conversation about the people McGregor has in his training corner and you go post a childish response like that. You're obviously a fan of Ido Portal that's fine.

• Advertisement

And here he is in Australia 5 weeks ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBD4XRvFJZb/?taken-by=portal.ido&hl=en

He landed in LA 2 weeks ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCHC6wqlJbm/?taken-by=portal.ido&hl=en

So how did McGregor cope without his S&C coach for those three weeks? Or could it be that he doesn't actually have an important role?

So he was with McGregor in US 8 weeks ago, then went to Australia 5 weeks ago then went back to US to McGregor then flew back to Australia 3 weeks ago then flew back to US 2 weeks ago.

A lot of constant traveling over very long distances for someone who has a 'minor' role in the camp.

Great contribution. I am trying to have an actual conversation about the people McGregor has in his training corner and you go post a childish response like that. You're obviously a fan of Ido Portal that's fine.

Thank you, however I don't think it was a "Great contribution" as I hastily posted it without considering the facts that cow dung actually is of some use whereas this thread....not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Best thing I've seen on this thread is the ad for 10 onion rings for €2 in burger king.

I don't usually eat fast food but dammit, I do love a tasty onion ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

How has WarZ not been banned yet, pure ****stirring. He seems obsessed with McGregor in a bad way

So he was with McGregor in US 8 weeks ago, then went to Australia 5 weeks ago then went back to US to McGregor then flew back to Australia 3 weeks ago then flew back to US 2 weeks ago.

A lot of constant traveling over very long distances for someone who has a 'minor' role in the camp.

No. He lives in LA. He went to Australia for 3 weeks. 5-3=2 Quite simple. This is pretty pathetic. Really reaching. If you have any concrete proof he has a big influence in McGregors training I'll respond. If not, consider me out of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

You will learn, negativity about Connor will not be tolerated!!!! Good thread, good points and plenty of evidence and quotes but you shall be ridiculed and made to feel small for having the audacity to critic McGregor!!!!!

John_D80 wrote: »
    Best thing I've seen on this thread is the ad for 10 onion rings for €2 in burger king.

I don't usually eat fast food but dammit, I do love a tasty onion ring.

:mad::mad: Ive got ad blocker turned on :mad::mad:
    LaGlisse wrote: »
    How has WarZ not been banned yet, pure ****stirring. He seems obsessed with McGregor in a bad way

As a newbie he must still be playing his "forum charter exemption" card

No. He lives in LA. He went to Australia for 3 weeks. 5-3=2 Quite simple. This is pretty pathetic. Really reaching. If you have any concrete proof he has a big influence in McGregors training I'll respond. If not, consider me out of this thread.

And where does McGregor spend most of his time? Yep you guessed it.

He was training McGregor and Gunnar on a beach in LA 8 weeks ago, there's photos on his instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Portal only comes in when the hard training is already done and they are scaling back any contact work as the fight gets closer. He may pop in from time to time but he's not really a big part of any fight preparation just because he pops up on Embedded on the week of the fight.

• Advertisement

Portal only comes in when the hard training is already done and they are scaling back any contact work as the fight gets closer. He may pop in from time to time but he's not really a big part of any fight preparation just because he pops up on Embedded on the week of the fight.

Why was he in Conor's corner barking instructions on Saturday?

Advertisement