Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

cowzerp wrote: »
    Not too long go now-looking forward to it, roll on may 1st..

Less than 3 weeks!! We can't wait. Roll on may 1st!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 banditlarkin

this is goin to be a good show some class fights on this card

The running order is from the bottom up!!

Bantamweight
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney (Hit Squad) vs Rob "The Dog" Quinn(SBGi)

Welterweight
    Cathal "Collosus" Pendred (SBGi) vs Jonny Shiels (IMMA)

Lightweight
    Lukasz Staszynski (Warriors) vs Sean McMullan (DCMMA)

Welterweight
    Dominic McConnell (SFT) vs TBC

Middleweight
    John Redmond(RUSH) vs Pete Molloy (Karate Jutsu)

Lightweight
    Richie Edgeworth (Ryano) vs Prezmyslaw Poteralski (Warriors)

The Undercard

Bantamweight
    Joe Clarke (PCCB) vs Colin Neeson (IMMA)

Welterweight
    Paul Redmond (Ryano) vs Oisin Conroy (Shootfighters)

Lightweight
    Rowan Prendiville (Karate Jutsu) vs Decky Dalton (PCCB)

Heavyweight
    Ryan Boyd (IMMA) vs Lucus Globeski (K Vale Tudo)

Middleweight
    Rafal (Elite 400) vs TBC

Lightweight
    Mick Brennan (KTP) vs Graham Ochiltree (K Vale Tudo)

Bantamweight
    Alan Philpott (IMMA) vs Damien Wisdom (EFR)

Featherweight
    Joe Gibson (PCCB) vs Brian Moore (Wexford MMA)

Welterweight
    Steven Kingsbury (EFR) vs Sean Pagel (Juku Ryu JJ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Some really great fights in there!!!!

I cud be biased but Im really lookin forward to Joe and Wee C the most:D

Also two of the best gentlemen in the sport Jonny Shields and Cathal Pendred - Great - both guys had epic fights with the ever talented Ronan McKay;)

Alan and Damien shud also be a cracker and cant wait to see the ever gracious Mr Boyd true professional ;)

Some other great names in there and best of luck to all the fighters:)

Urs
    x

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    I cud be biased but Im really lookin forward to Joe and Wee C the most:D
    I reckon this one could be semi pro fight of the year, two great young talents going head to head... can't wait :)

fightie wrote: »
    I reckon this one could be semi pro fight of the year................

It could well be one of Irelands best ever fights altho I would say its scary to think its at Semi Pro cus promotions shud/ will be lining up for the Pro fight between them (but lets not get ahead of ourselves - I get goose bumps thinkin about it lol):D

Urs
    x

Bantamweight
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney (Hit Squad) vs Rob "The Dog" Quinn(SBGi)

Welterweight

Lightweight

Welterweight
    Dominic McConnell (SFT) vs Stuart Davies (F Freestyle)

Middleweight

Lightweight

The Undercard

Welterweight

Lightweight

Heavyweight

Middleweight
    Rafal (Elite 400) vs TBC

Lightweight
    Mick Brennan (KTP) vs Darren Jones (DCMMA)

Bantamweight

Featherweight
    Joe Gibson (PCCB) vs Brian Moore (Wexford MMA)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DamoUp

What happened to the Joe Clarke fight has it been scrapped?

DamoUp wrote: »
    What happened to the Joe Clarke fight has it been scrapped?

I heard Wee C slipped a disc in training:(

Hope you get better soon Colin;)

Urs
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Was speaking to Colin last night hes well gutted that hes had to pull. But these things happen. He was training very hard for this fight.
    I was really looking forward to it too!! Ah well maybe next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

Looking forward to The Rage vs The Dog!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Anyone know a bookies that are taking bets on these fights?

cletus wrote: »
    thats fantastic news, will it be setanta ireland or setanta sports 1?

We can no confirm it will be on Setanta Ireland at 8pm on Sunday the 9th of May!!

With this in mind, the better crowds and support we get at the show the better the chances are of us filling the 3 further shows in our agreement. We have agreed terms for the next 3 Cage Contender shows (V, VI, VII) to be show on Setanta too

Come and support your local fighters, this is gonna be a great night of Irish MMA action

sonoflife wrote: »
    Looking forward to The Rage vs The Dog!!!

Who do you reckon wil win it Ben?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭cletus

Once again, congrats on pulling off this deal. Its a serious coup for mma in ireland. Well done to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Not long to go now. I'm looking forward to seeing this from the best seat in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I reckon I'll be closer to the action than most!!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

wish colin a speedy recovery.

Another time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Initially I was a bit unsure if I was going to buy a ticket as I subscribe to Setanta but I thought ‘what the hell’. The card looks good and I'm sure the fighters are looking forward to getting the extra exposure they deserve with the effort they undoubtedly put in.

Does anyone know what the car parking is like at the Kings Hall?
    Last time I was there we parked outside a bar (TATA, I think) and
    walked about 20 minutes, is there anything closer?

Hotel

The offical hotel for Cage Contender IV will be the Wellington Park Hotel (4*), Malone Rd, Belfast. 0044 (0) 28 9038 5050 (Reservations).

This is where the weigh in, press interviews and the aftershow party will take place. Anyone wanting to book a room at the hotel ring the number above and tell them you are with Cage Contender. We have worked out a discount rate with them, so make sure you say your with Cage Contender

THE ABOVE HOTEL IS NOW FULL.

** Malone Lodge Hotel (4*) is about 200 yards from the Wellington Park. To book call 0044 (0) 2890 388000 and quote Cage Contender, we have a discount rate at this hotel also **

Weigh in

There will be 2 weigh in stations, 1 in Dublin and 1 in Belfast. Fighters MUST weigh in at one of these stations on friday the 30th April. Video weigh in will NOT be allowed: CAGE CONTENDER DO NOT GIVE WEIGH ALLOWANCE: e.g 66KGs MEANS 66KGs NOT 66.2 OR 66.5

Belfast: Wellington Park Hotel, 19:00hrs

Dublin: Next Generation HQ, Monkstown, 19:00hrs

ALL TICKET MONEY OR RETURNED TICKETS WILL BE COLLECTED AT THE WEIGH-IN

Rules/Medicals

The rules meeting and medicals will be at 17:30 in the Balmoral Hall, Kings Hall Complex. Only fighters, cornermen and officals will be allowed access to the building before doors open to the public.

PRO FIGHTERS

ALL pro fighters MUST be at the Balmoral Hall at 14:00 on Sat 1st May for your press interviews.

Officals

REF: Mr Peter Lavery
    REF: Mr David Jones
    Judge: Mr Marty Walker (Jnr)
    Judge: Mr Declan Larkin

Time: Mr Richard Taylor

MC

Richie Moore

Commentators for TV/DVD

Stuart McQuitty
    Barry Oglesby

DOORS WILL BE AT 18:00 AND THE FIRST FIGHT WILL BE IN THE ARENA AT 19:00 SHARP. THE SEMI PRO UNDERCARD WILL RUN FIRST, THERE WILL BE A 15 MINUTE BREAK THEN THE PRO CARD WILL RUN AND BE FILMED AS IF LIVE FOR SETANTA SPORTS IRELAND. FEEL FREE TO BRING BANNERS ETC TO SUPPORT YOUR FIGHTERS

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info on the car park. The kings head was closed last time I was there.

Going to be a great night. Good card, good production, TV deal, insanely handsome commentators; this is the big time folks!

Going to be a great night. Good card, good production, TV deal, insanely handsome commentators; this is the big time folks!

Thanks for the kind words Barry!!! don't forget the insanely handsome (although slightly plump) Promoter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Noe of this would be possible without people like me. The insanely handsome viewer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

anyone know the results for last night yet....??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McManus

LavaLamp wrote: »
    anyone know the results for last night yet....??

The Main Event

Bantamweight
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney (Hit Squad) vs Rob "The Dog" Quinn(SBGi) Rooney won Triangle 1st round

Welterweight
    Pendred won unaminous decision

Lightweight
    Lukasz Staszynski won KO 2nd round
    Welterweight
    Dominic McConnell (SFT) vs Stuart Davies (F Freestyle)
    Dominic McConnell Won GNP round 2

Middleweight
    John Redmond won cant mind how

Lightweight
    Prezmyslaw Poteralski armbar

The Undercard

Welterweight

Lightweight
    Decky Dalton won unaminous decision!

Heavyweight
    Ryan Boyd won

Middleweight
    Rafal (Elite 400) vs Fra McCabe (PCCB)

Lightweight
    Mick Brennan (KTP) vs Darren Jones (DCMMA)

Bantamweight
    Reece McColgan (SFT) vs Josh Peoples (JRJC)
    Reece McColgan armbar 1st round

Bantamweight

Wisdom did not make weight

Featherweight
    Liam Murray (PCCB) vs Brian Moore (Wexford MMA)

I missed a few fights because of the Lorry going on fire on the M1!

Very good show some great fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

well you saw the ones I wanted to know about :D awesome - thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

rooney switched triangle over to win by armbar, wasn't too easy to spot in fairness with them reversing over and back, i thought the polish guy out of warriors won the first main card fight by armbar or something similar. great fights maybe 2 ''dull'' ones the entire night i thought , 1st fight was great lots of action and set the bar high for everyone else to aim for , well done to everyone from top to bottom great effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Don't forget you can see Cage Contender 4 next week (Sunday 9th May 2010) at 8pm on Setanta Sports.

It was a great night with some really good contests. The big screens really helped with the ground action.

I have to complement the refereeing, it makes such a difference when the ref knows what he is doing!

Cage Contender has come a long way in such a short time, has Cage Wars finally got a promotion to worry about? hopefully, two big promotions trying to out do each other can only be good for Irish MMA

• Advertisement

Eat my words here (or some of them) lol

I was surprised with Contenders last nite I had thought it woz gonna be the big package with no quality but some of the fights were crackers;)

The venue wasnt OTT it was the right size and the screens made for perfect viewing (at cage side I woz jumpin off my chair to see some of the action but screens wer fantastic).

Absolutely excellent reffin:D and wow to the MC who is just magic lol serious tho Ritchie definately gets the crowd goin and gives a spark to the shows!!!

Now for some fights - well Cathal and Jonny two of the best warriors we will find in MMA and wot a battle they had ;) both guys are bearin bruises of tough fite, I think this shouldve been main event imo. Damien slick, who is gonna stop him??? Works so comfortably in his game its great to watch! Dominic lookin in great shape and form and has definately "matured" as a fighter which will now reap benefits for him, great control well done:cool: Big John deserving of win and cant wait to see his next fight! Lucaz and Prezmyslaw both strong contenders with perfectly executed game plans.

Undercard - firstly I woz disappointed that Wisdom and Philpott didnt come off as I thought it wudve been good fight:( Extremely well done Ryan who puts so much hard work in and totally evident lastnite fantastic!!! Decky Dalton well this guy is definately Pro standards no doubt (but well done to his coaches ther not pushin this) Decky has so much potential!!! Reece done extremely well I know he's had disappointments but keepin ur head down and workin hard reaps benefits;)

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan Roddy

Missed this event but well done to Damien Rooney, watched him a few times and think with him training with Hughes he has a great chance of making it to WEC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I really enjoyed the show last night.
    I think it was kind of a "coming of age" show for the Cage Contender Promotion. Everything just worked. The match making was solid, which in my opinion is the foundation of any show. If the fights are poor no amount of production will save you.
    I really hope the team keep to the standard they have now set themselves and continue to develop the brand. This in turn will help the sport in Ireland grow. Last night was a good night for Irish MMA.
    Well thats what i think anyway.;)

Ryan Roddy wrote: »
    Missed this event but well done to Damien Rooney, watched him a few times and think with him training with Hughes he has a great chance of making it to WEC!

I think ur right here Ryan Damien has so much skill his last two fights hav proven wot a pro he is!!!

Urs
    x

I really enjoyed the show last night.
    I think it was kind of a "coming of age" show for the Cage Contender Promotion. Everything just worked. The match making was solid, which in my opinion is the foundation of any show. If the fights are poor no amount of production will save you.
    I really hope the team keep to the standard they have now set themselves and continue to develop the brand. This in turn will help the sport in Ireland grow. Last night was a good night for Irish MMA.
    Well thats what i think anyway.;)

Your a man not to mince words Marty :D But as always your totally right and we had a good nite of Irish MMA ;)

Urs
    x

Last night was a good night for Irish MMA.

I couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Mixed views from me.

I arrived with 2 fights gone; I went to the bar and got a drink then went to find my seat. I asked a "official" and they sent me to the other side of the cage, asked there and the guy just said ehh I dunno just look about, then I walked about for 2 fights then finally went back to original side of cage and found my seat which I thought was great until I realized that some bright spark put the judges table right under the blue corner! Very Very silly! Poor chap beside me trying to take notes and I hand to keep looking 180 away from right to the excellent projector screens. Spent over £40 to watch it on TV! lol. but hey you can’t win them all. The atmosphere was good and not having the fighters owns entrance (which I know had to be because of royalties) was ok until I woke up this morning with the tune going over my head!

The program was great! loved the score card bit.

as for the fights I was happy with them all some great ground work and some great stand up it had it all.

allot of people left with 2 fights left which was unusual but they missed two goo fights. The Main event was slick, I agree with previous poster there is not much left in Rooney’s way really. He will surely have to return to the US or go to England to get tested.

Shame about the chap who's opponent didn’t make the weight but in fairness I think the scales used (digital) are very temperamental. It is very dependent on the surface they are put on and I would have thought with a no weight variances I would expect at least professional scales.

Anyway my 2 cents now to watch it again next week!

Just to let you all know I was check setantas website and it is down there to be on Saturday the 8th of May at 21:30 Not as mentioned on the night (even though they said 3 different times and days)

http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

Conclusion,

I enjoyed the night but think the ringside seat was not worth the cost. I will def be attending the next event though. Good speed between fighters and great officials and A&E medics!

I am wrighting this post with the mother of all hangovers!! (which I lay squarely at the door of SBG)

Firstly I would like to thank the fighters, without you guys I would have no show. Last night again you showed how strong Irish MMA is, and each and every one of you done yourselves proud.

And to the coaches, thank you for your effort and professionalism, your fighters were all a credit to their clubs.

Last nights reffing was spot on, as a promoter I could ask for nothing more from my officals, the refs, judges and time keepers just get on with the job in hand and don't in my view often receive the credit they deserve... So well done guys and thank you.

To my own team (inc the production crew, commentators and MC), thank you all. For not only making the show happen but also for putting up with my mood swings and temper in the run up to the show :p(you all know that I ony have the best interest of the show at heart)

And let's not forget the Irish MMA fans... Thank you for for spending your hard earned money on tickets (which no doubt you will agree represent great value
    :D) if there is anything that we can do to make the show better for you please please let us know, Cage Contender is still less than a year old and we take
    your views and comments on board to make our show better as your show.

If there is anyone I have forgot to thank I am sorry, and thank you!!!

Cage Contender is going on air next week, Saturday 8th May, on Setanta Sports Ireland. We hope that you enjoy the show as much as I have enjoyed making it.

And folks don't forget Cage Contender V, National Basketball Arena, Dublin. 24th July 2010.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MMAIRELAND.ORG

I was more than likely the guy taking the notes and it was kind of difficult when the meds stood up and when the fights went to the ground but i had a brilliant night! Fights were well matched and it was well organised.

Well done to Mark and John for staging a cracking show...i cant wait until the next one.

Gary,

MMAIRELAND.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Enjoyed the whole night-it really was awesome. Some savage fights-credit to the match making and of course the dedication of the fighters- it was a very good reflection and advertisement of the domestic mma scene (in my humble opinion) I will be tuning in to Setanta on Sat to watch all the proceedings once again. Roll on July and the national basketball arena for no.5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

First time working with the Cage Contender lads and i must say it was very well run, ive done alot of shows in ireland and the uk and its hard to find one that ticks all the boxes. well done to mark and john and all the crew. Photos will be up in the morning.

Some great fights too, Decky Dalton v Rowan Prendiville stands out in my head from the undercard, how Rowan was standing ill never no! Well done again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

The scales in question were professional medical scales and where tested by three people,John Ferguson,Myself and Lee mc Kibbin.None of us have any affiliation to the two fighters camps.The readings on the scales where correct on each occasion they where tested,each of us stood on the scale at least three times each over an hour before the fighters arrived to weigh in so I can confirm that the scales where not in question,nor where they simple bathroom scales........I now need to go on a diet!!!
    Peter

Not to get into the politics of the matter, the guy weighed in 3.2 kilos over, and both fighters used the same set of calibrated scales, so any variation or mis-calibration would have weighed in both fighters over or under by the same amount.

3.2 kilos? Did you give him the chance to lose the weight and come back?

Anakin.S wrote: »

3.2 kilos? Did you give him the chance to lose the weight and come back?

straight answer is yes, when he was so far over weight Rodney Moore was good enough to let him weigh in at 2pm the following day.

The thing that got to me was how bad the fighters attitude was, he just didn't give a f@"k. He showed total disrespect and disregard to all involved.

This show was one of the best I've been at live. I was involved behind the scenes to some extent so I know a little of what went into preparing it, and it was a lot. I'm quite open in my criticisms and compliments of shows and I've criticised (hopefully constructively) some aspects of previous Cage Contender shows in the past. I just have no criticism of this show and plenty to say about how good it was. Great venue, great production, exciting card and a great crowd too. They really lifted the roof for some of the fights and having a lot of the local supporters there made all the difference. One group from DCMMA at cageside had their t-shirts with the fighters faces on them, it sort of reminded me of X factor :).

I defy you to look around Europe and the world for the rest of the month of May and find a better fight than Cathal Pendred vs. Jonny Shiels. It was amazing from start to finish and I would pay top money to watch either of those guys fight again. The pro card will be on Setanta next week and on it you will see an astounding GnP KO, a war between the aforementioned gents, and a superb quick submission. I can confidently say that it will be an excellent showcase for the sport in this country. If you can put up with me, be sure to tune into it and encourage everyone you know who loves MMA (and even those who don't) to do so too. The higher the ratings, the better the buzz, the more likely it is that we'll see Irish MMA on national television in the future.

Thanks to all the Cage Contender crew for a great show and great hospitality as always. See you in Dublin in July!

• Advertisement

Can I second that about the aforementioned team - sheer noisey me had to get to speak with them and their coach Gerard McAllister - anyway its a team who had experience over 10yrs ago in MMA but have only rekindled their interest!!! But anyone ther on Sat wud say they wer fantastic supporters with them - brillant and well done such a credit;)

Did anyone else notice the Wanderlei Silva tatoo on a fighter and how it woz the double of Barry lol:D

Urs
    xxx

p.s. John you owe me a dry-cleanin bill for my clothes and a pair of new shoes (in fact fab shoes) ther wer a lot of drunken lads in the show pre-fights spillin all sorts of drink (unlike me who waited after the fights lol)

fightie wrote: »
    straight answer is yes, when he was so far over weight Rodney Moore was good enough to let him weigh in at 2pm the following day.

The thing that got to me was how bad the fighters attitude was, he just didn't give a f@"k. He showed total disrespect and disregard to all involved.

Feel sorry for the fighter who put the time in the gym just to have his fight cancelled at the weigh in.

Are you offering him a fight at the next Cage Contender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Story lads,
    Just wondering from anyone who was there how did the John Redmond(RUSH) vs Pete Molloy (Karate Jutsu) fight go,

Story lads,
    Just wondering from anyone who was there how did the John Redmond(RUSH) vs Pete Molloy (Karate Jutsu) fight go,

John won by GNP in the first;)

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭cletus

hey lads, really looking forward to watching this on Sunday night, but I just tried to set it to record on my chorus box thingy, and its not listed.

there hasn't been a change of plan, has there?

*edit* sorry, just saw its on saturday at 9.30

• Advertisement
Advertisement