Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

mdwexford wrote: »
    I think they should make all co-main events 5 rounds.

Would result in some more classic 5 round wars and it gives fighters a chance to go 5 rounds and get used to it before stepping up to a title fight.

That was the idea with making the main 5 rounds but it actually in most cases makes the fights lower paced and boring. What overshadows it is obviously the main is a major fight. So many great match ups have actually been ruined by the 5 rounds i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not much changes for fighters with this new Venum deal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIANETh9yo/?igshid=15uc2xunth6g9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mdwexford wrote: »
    I think they should make all co-main events 5 rounds.

Would result in some more classic 5 round wars and it gives fighters a chance to go 5 rounds and get used to it before stepping up to a title fight.

If it's 2 genuine top 5 fighters against each other and the winner is in with a good shout of fighting for the title, it absolutely should be 5 rounds.
    It can be frustrating when Championship calibre fighters are matched off and your left wondering what the result would have been over 5.

However if it's a poor card, and two lowly (or perhaps not at all) ranked fighters are in the co-main, then they should leave it at 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mike Goldberg has been let go by Bellator. Such a shame.

Say what you want about the guy, but he and his voice are absolutely iconic in the sport.

I like Anik and all but he's much more "professional" where as Goldie was always much more fun and upbeat.

He had absolutely no clue what was going on most of the time...... which made him even better because it was unintentionally hilarious.

Really hope he gets his place in the Hall of Fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

mailburner wrote: »
    so jones has reportedly turned down 8-10million

He says that's way too low for a fight of this magnitude so I'm guessing it'll
    take close to 20 million to get him in

Do you think this fight will generate the same amount of ppv's as a conor fight?

Do you think this fight will actually happen now?

I've a feeling ufc won't play ball and say fcuk it and give it to Lewis but I think they should give bones what he wants if the projected ppv's are similiar to what conors are.

I've no idea tbh but I'm thinking it ought to hit the million surely....francis is popular...Jones not so much.

seems outside of a conor bout recently that only usman masvidal went over the million and last one before that was nunes rousey in 2016
    https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/mma-news-the-16-biggest-pay-per-view-buys-in-ufc-history-20200326

I'm not sure why they can't just offer low base pay, high ppv points. If Jon's that confident he's huge draw, let him prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think the next season of The Ultimate Fighter was supposed to be starting in next couple of weeks but haven't heard anything. Any rumblings?

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN
    UFC president Dana White @danawhite tells me Alexander Volkanovski @alexvolkanovski and Brian Ortega @BrianTcity
    will coach The Ultimate Fighter 29, which will start filming later this month and air on ESPN+. Their title fight will be rescheduled at the end of the season.

Hopefully it allows Volk to get a bit more rub. He's so talented but still underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

derfderf wrote: »
    If Jon's that confident he's huge draw, let him prove it.

I assumed that was the issue, Jones isn't that great a draw and he knows it. So he wants a big base pay rather than relying on the PPV points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, Jones isn't making any sense if he's talking about his worth but wants a huge payday up front. The money has to come from somewhere. Take the guaranteed couple of million, then sell the fight for your %. It's a hugely exciting fight tbf and I think it'd sell a lot when he finally stops moaning. It works out well for all parties if they make the fight and sell a lot of PPVs. Would be very disappointing if we don't get to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,642 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jones reminds me of Floyd when Floyd was ducking the Manny fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,642 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I assumed that was the issue, Jones isn't that great a draw and he knows it. So he wants a big base pay rather than relying on the PPV points.

I think a Jones/Francis fight would be a real big seller!!

More than anything Jones has done at 205 lbs.

HW champion is D prize. The man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Homelander

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Mike Goldberg has been let go by Bellator. Such a shame.

Say what you want about the guy, but he and his voice are absolutely iconic in the sport.

I like Anik and all but he's much more "professional" where as Goldie was always much more fun and upbeat.

He had absolutely no clue what was going on most of the time...... which made him even better because it was unintentionally hilarious.

Really hope he gets his place in the Hall of Fame!

I've increasingly felt the last while that he's been majorly phoning it in in Bellator, when you compare his UFC commentary to his commentary in Bellator the last year or so there's an absolute world of difference.

Before, he was exciting, passionate, and just a great colour commentator, even if he wasn't the most knowledgable. In Bellator it was like he was bored reading off a page half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Excellent fight , we will find out how good Gane is.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1378397269754535937

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Really hoped they'd make that match up as I wanted to see Gane tested and I can't think of a harder fight for Gane

They have to give volkov a shot if he beats Gane

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

^^^Great match up.

I recall some analyst (likely either Luke Thomas/Brian Campbell) suggesting that with Endeavor planning IPO this year that we're due for great supercharged events in the lead up. Makes sense. But great fights announced ever since the announcement. UFC essentially keeping the rest afloat the past year.
    Would expect the IPO to get some pushback/not be a completely obvious grant given given impending lawsuits and business variability. But I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New Venum gear. Looks nice, a lot nicer than Reebok's first attempt

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1379437487588786182?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    New Venum gear. Looks nice, a lot nicer than Reebok's first attempt
    The styling of the walkout gear looks ok. Better than Reebok's first go.
    But I think some of the fight shorts look a bit odd. Like they'd be hard to move in.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1379388102737805313

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

DrPhilG wrote: »

I wonder exactly what he's asking for if 8-10 million is not enough. Has even Conor ever gotten more than $5m up front?

In fairness, I think that fight would have very high numbers for a fight without Conor. I don't see why it couldn't have Usman vs Masvidal numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

derfderf wrote: »
    I wonder exactly what he's asking for if 8-10 million is not enough. Has even Conor ever gotten more than $5m up front?

In fairness, I think that fight would have very high numbers for a fight without Conor. I don't see why it couldn't have Usman vs Masvidal numbers.

What could it peak at 1.2?

I know some online saying it could do much more but that seems a little mad, looking at Jones history and while Ngannu is the man not a household name with Joe Bloggs.

McGregor Porier 3 official, interesting caption.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1382294525574467589?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Interesting caption? You mean in reference to the bull**** beef regarding dustins charity? This must be the lamest grudge match based on that.

Next season of TUF is Ortega v Volkanovski.
    Ortega is bringing in Rener Gracie as his jiujitsu coach. So Volkanovski is bringing in fellow Aussie Craig Jones.
    Craig was online earlier and said he was going to challenge Rener to match. Should be interesting.

For those that aren’t aware;
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNV6Uzvlmc-/?igshid=1s8tgqqvzqbm5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Hahaha the bust up on Twitter only to announce the fight and ticket sales today is hilarious.

Work Work Work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

ASOT wrote: »
    McGregor Porier 3 official, interesting caption.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1382294525574467589?s=19

such WWE nonsense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Mellor wrote: »
    Next season of TUF is Ortega v Volkanovski.
    Ortega is bringing in Rener Gracie as his jiujitsu coach. So Volkanovski is bringing in fellow Aussie Craig Jones.
    Craig was online earlier and said he was going to challenge Rener to match. Should be interesting.

For those that aren’t aware;
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNV6Uzvlmc-/?igshid=1s8tgqqvzqbm5

Rener hasn't been in competition since he was about 19 I think due to a back injury. He was a very good blackbelt at 18/19 and I'm sure he's incredibly good Inthe gi, but Jones would/should be on a totally different level in a competitive roll. The older brother Ryron is apparently the better grappler of the two. That said their younger less talented brother was able to defend against Gordon Ryan for a while and managed to sure some pretty nice sweeps and a nice throw so if he's better than the family ****up he might be able to give Jones at least a nice friendly roll with some interesting moments.

Rener hasn't been in competition since he was about 19 I think due to a back injury. He was a very good blackbelt at 18/19 and I'm sure he's incredibly good Inthe gi, but Jones would/should be on a totally different level in a competitive roll. The older brother Ryron is apparently the better grappler of the two. That said their younger less talented brother was able to defend against Gordon Ryan for a while and managed to sure some pretty nice sweeps and a nice throw so if he's better than the fair ****up he might be able to give Jones at least a nice friendly roll with some interesting moments.
    He retired at 20 I think, but competed once off at 29 for Gracie Worlds. I agree he was legitimately very good. But yeah, I’d give him zero chance against Jones. Especially nogi.
    Are you talking about Ralek? I seem to remember Gordon being all over him.

I was thinking interesting more along the lines of the interactions between them than a close match if it happened. Rener is a full on Gracie kool-aid pedaller. Craig is just a piss taker with vicious leg locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jones to rip his lower leg apart within 2 mins

Jimmy flick on with Helwani, very tough watch. Hopefully he gets to get back into his dad's good books.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In kind off MMA related news i hope Ben Askren beats the breaks off that youtube fella who comes across very unlikable

Also to pick Askren out of all MMA guys for a boxing fight is a joke that i hope ends up biting him in the ass ,

Obviously i won't buy the fight cause why would i but i like Ben so hope he gets a win ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In kind off MMA related news i hope Ben Askren beats the breaks off that youtube fella who comes across very unlikable

Also to pick Askren out of all MMA guys for a boxing fight is a joke that i hope ends up biting him in the ass ,

Obviously i won't buy the fight cause why would i but i like Ben so hope he gets a win ,

Frank Mir also boxing on this show. Big fan of Mir but I couldn't pay for it. $24 dollars by the way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement