Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

1180181182183184186»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Mellor wrote: »
    Pacquiao's last fight was a PPV btw.
    And sold more than 0 obviously

It wasn't a PPV:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/3/15916698/manny-pacquiao-jeff-horn-peaks-at-4-4-million-viewers-averages-3-1-million-espn-boxing

dashoonage wrote: »
    Id like to see him stripped of the belt. Make Tony champ, winner of khabib vs barboza gets the next shot.

I'm quite happy for McGregor to do money fights , gsp Diaz whatever.

But let the divisions go on. There are some legit beasts in the top 7-8 at lw. The division doesn't need McGregor. Look at FW it's flying it without him.

This is my take as well. He is his own division now. He doesn't need a title for his star power and unlike the rest of the roster who will only get PPV points if they're champion, Conor can dictate terms to the UFC. Just strip him and move on.

If he decides he wants to defend it and they can get a fight scheduled in the first half of next year, fine. Otherwise, it's time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Monokne wrote: »

The article states itself that it sold over 200k ppvs in australia. Just because it wasnt a ppv in the ufc doesnt mean it wasnt a ppv.

ASOT wrote: »
    The article states itself that it sold over 200k ppvs in australia. Just because it wasnt a ppv in the ufc doesnt mean it wasnt a ppv.

I was referring to the north American market, where the vast majority of PPV's are sold.

Monokne wrote: »
    I was referring to the north American market, where the vast majority of PPV's are sold.

Fair enough it was still a ppv though and still done over 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

FFS lads, who cares about Australia?

Nobody but australians id imagine but facts are facts. AJ Klitschko wasnt ppv in the us either so by the same logic that sold no ppvs either.

ASOT wrote: »
    Nobody but australians id imagine but facts are facts. AJ Klitschko wasnt ppv in the us either so by the same logic that sold no ppvs either.

Australia is a backwater in boxing terms. The UK is anything but right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I wouldn't look out my back window at McGregor v Pac fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Another pic of him in a gym today, pics of him dee and junior yesterday. The party is over ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

backspin. wrote: »
    I wouldn't look out my back window at McGregor v Pac fight.

Ah you would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Ah you would

Only to tell them to keep the noise down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Back training in SBG today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Would all the snow he has seen the last few days open up his airways and get in more oxygen, making his endurance gas tank last longer? 😂

That's what he was planning 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Australia is a backwater in boxing terms. The UK is anything but right now.
    If it's backwater in boxing terms. Why were you using an australian boxing fight to try make a point about PPVs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If it's backwater in boxing terms. Why were you using an australian boxing fight to try make a point about PPVs :confused:

How much does ppv cost in Australia?

When people talk about ppv sales in combat sports they are most likely talking about the North American market because US ppv prices are stupidly expensive.

How much does ppv cost in Australia?

When people talk about ppv sales in combat sports they are most likely talking about the North American market because US ppv prices are stupidly expensive.
    A UFC PPV is $50
    Pacquiao v Horn was $60 IIRC

The suggestion was that Pacman isn't a draw because his last fight sold zero PPVs.
    I was just pointing out that the fight was a PPV in Australia, where the fight took place, and it sold a decent amount of PPVs.
    It wasn't a PPV in the US, so saying "his last fight sold 0 PPVs [in America]" is redundant.

As I said, I don't want to fight to happen. I think it's dumb for all involved. I just disagree with the previous PPV logic wheeled out.

Because it highlights Pacquiao's growing irrelevancy in the US. I thought that much was obvious.

Because it highlights Pacquiao's growing irrelevancy in the US. I thought that much was obvious.
    I got thats what you were trying to do. But it made little sense tbh.
    How could it sell any PPVs in the US when it was ESPN. Did you want people ring up and donate $50 in support of Pacquiao.

It drew 4.4m viewers on ESPN, the highest ratings for boxing on cable since 2006. And the highest on ESPN since 1995. That's not irrelevancy. He's still a name among casuals - and that's the target of the hypothetical McGregor fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

How could it sell any PPVs in the US when it was ESPN. Did you want people ring up and donate $50 in support of Pacquiao.

It drew 4.4m viewers on ESPN, the highest ratings for boxing on cable since 2006. And the highest on ESPN since 1995. That's not irrelevancy. He's still a name among casuals - and that's the target of the hypothetical McGregor fight

I thought Dana White already put this to bed and said under no circumstances will this fight happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

nelly17 wrote: »

I thought Dana White already put this to bed and said under no circumstances will this fight happen.
    Of course we all know Dana White is a beacon of truth and would never lie, of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hasn't everybody including Conor said he is going back to MMA and defending the LW belt is the top priority now?

Would it be reasonable to expect some sort of announcement on the Dec 30th card to kick 2019 off for the UFC? They need it it seems.

When is Tony rumored to be back, or will they wait until his is confirmed fit to put the fight together?

LW has two big fights to make in the first quarter 2018, Tony and Conor followed immediately by the winner of Khabib and Barboza vs the winner of the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

When is Tony rumored to be back, or will they wait until his is confirmed fit to put the fight together?

March/April so UFC 223 at the earliest.

The point is very simple. If he is a ppv draw, he's not fighting on ESPN.

Of course he's still a name and boxing fans (myself included) will watch if he's on tv, but he's not a name people (myself included) are going to fork out money for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hasn't everybody including Conor said he is going back to MMA and defending the LW belt is the top priority now?

Would it be reasonable to expect some sort of announcement on the Dec 30th card to kick 2019 off for the UFC? They need it it seems.

LW has two big fights to make in the first quarter 2019, Tony and Conor followed immediately by the winner of Khabib and Barboza vs the winner of the former.

Jaysis, have we written off him fighting in 2018 already?

• Advertisement

Jaysis, have we written off him fighting in 2018 already?

Still hopeful for a surprise at 219 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Still hopeful for a surprise at 219 :D

You mean the one that's in December 2017?

You mean the one that's in December 2017?

Caught it, edited

I think it was more like under no circumstances should Pacquiao be approaching Conor directly - the implication being it's ok to go via Dana.

He may have since put it to bed entirely. I hope so tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I only want to watch McGregor defend his LW belt and fight more MMA. I also believe, however, that if he defends the LW and has one or two other fights, that he'll go box Pacman. It sells so much better when Conor is coming off a win streak in MMA then coming from a L against Mayweather straight in to Pacquiao.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Dana also said the Mayweather fight would never happen and we all know how that turned out.

I don't know why MMA fans hold Dana on such a high pedestal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

McGregor has given you girls some of the best nights of entertainment ever and you all bitch about him daily on here, shame on ye dont deserve to see the GOAT return to mma fairweather fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"The GOAT"

c843ca5082f66324508f63c7ef045b26.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement