Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone still buy Dvds?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    12TB of HDD's filled with a cornucopia of genres, all in HD...

All hail the HDD Cloud, DVD is dead :D

FYP !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Yes.. Have 100's. Mostly old films that you cant get on netflix or youtube as nobody has heard of them.

Its not being hipster.. its having old parents and loving a lazy Sunday watching a black and white movie or a war film.

Buy them when I find them. One million times better than some of the crap that has been made over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Haven't bought DVDs in years. Try my best to avoid living somewhere which doesn't have at least 100mb broadband so can stream everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Love DVD's they are great and I keep buying them.

Seriously, can you tell me what is great about them? I don't get it. Plastics discs that can break or be scratched which can't happen to a more modern format.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I must have over 1000 films on DVD currently.
    How long do DVD's last for? VHS tapes last ages, but not sure about the life of a DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah I still buy them the odd time. They're fairly cheap nowadays. I never bothered with blu ray or streaming, seems like a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Living away from home, I come back every Christmas and tend to (among other presents) buy my brother a Blu-ray copy of whatever is a really great movie that year. Then we watch that on Christmas Day with the whole family.

Looking forward to Mad Max this Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I'm pretty hugely into films, watch 200+ films a year but I was never much of a DVD buyer. Even before I could find everything online I couldn't justify having the box taking up space (I had very little room to store things) so I'd borrow from other people and obsessively trawl the TV listings for things to record on a bunch of 4 hour VHS cassettes set to long play (I think long play? whatever it was that made the quality horrific but squeezed twice as much on, so 8 hours per tape) over and over.

Only ever really got DVDs on three occasions: gifts, being absolutely desperate to see whatever the thing was (e.g. fifty euro for five episodes of Dekalog...) and being in a really crappy mood and the videogame/music selection in golden discs mullingar sucking so much I had to resort to something else to cheer me up.

All that being said, there's some things I'd love to have just for the additional features (e.g. Criterion collection releases, Simpsons commentary tracks)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Scary to think the amount of money I used to spend on Dvds.
    Haven't bought any in years, and have been slowly giving them to charity shops as I declutter.
    Just realised I really wasn't watching them again anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I love the quality of blue ray and even DVD on a blue ray player can be very good. 2nd hand they are very cheap.

If a movie comes up on TV or streaming in HD I'll watch it there. But I won't watch some pixelised blurry mess with bad sound

I've gotten rid of a lot of my DVDs and CDs that I don't watch. Just don't have space.

I don't keep much on digital either that's just another form of hoarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I do, and I also buy Blu-rays

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

the_syco wrote: »
    How long do DVD's last for? VHS tapes last ages, but not sure about the life of a DVD.

Genuinely not sure if serious... in my experience VHS quality tends to deteriorate over time even if used properly. If you're careful with your DVDs they seem to last perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

branie2 wrote: »
    I do, and I also buy Blu-rays

Blue rays are different. I've 100s of DVDs and I may as well have skunked my money up the wall. (And I bought DVDs at the start at £25 squid a skite.) I know that if you haven't an Internet connection argument etc but they really are dead.

Sad but true. I had 100s of vhs films as well and I ended up sending them to the dump. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Genuinely not sure if serious... in my experience VHS quality tends to deteriorate over time even if used properly. If you're careful with your DVDs they seem to last perfectly.

They aren't serious. Vhs tapes used to skip if you looked at them sideways. DVDs are quite resistant to age...... Unless you bring children into the equation....... Then all bets are off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »
    Not sure if VHS have the same carry through that audio tapes have , where if you don't rewind every so often the magnetism affects other layers. So rewind / fast-forward every 5-10 years. Resolution isn't great though.

Lots of hype about lives of media , mostly by those wanting to sell you gold plated versions. Truth is that the players will probably be obsolete before the media. Look at Betamax, 8 track, Zip disks, HD disks, laser disks, floppy disks and just about every tape backup format ever. Data tapes are supposed to last 30 years, but try to find a drive half that age.

Digital has the advantage over VHS that copies don't degrade. The trick is to have multiple backups so

you don't loose everything when one old drive dies.

But here's the thing , a rough rule of thumb is that you will need to double your data storage every 18 months. Or to say it another way , there is no point in deleting anything as storage costs are dropping all the time.

At present cheapo second hand DVD's are cheaper than hard drive space.

My problem is how to send DVD's to a Chromecast.

Yes I could rip them but that's a lot of effort and there is the whole possibility of proliferation. Don't have a DVD player with HDMI so am stuck with SCART/component. Yes I could buy an upscaling player but why bother when I could rip.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

my3cents wrote: »
    You can't watch any old films an programs with are only available in standard definition because thats what they were filmed in.
    I'm crying here.

Film 4 showed the restored print of Metropolis a few months back and I ran out of recording space :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Yes I could buy an upscaling player but why bother when I could rip.

The upscaler on a HDMi player (Bluray) might be better than your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

I very rarely buy dvds, but if there is a movie i really like, i might splash out.

What is an android box? I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

Basically a low powered computer that plays media from USB, hard drives or streaming. Kodi is a popular app that does the processing and gives easy to use on screen menus. They're tiny, use minimal electricity and you can normally use the TV remote so they're user friendly.

Have a Google if you're interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

dubscottie wrote: »
    Yes.. Have 100's. Mostly old films that you cant get on netflix or youtube as nobody has heard of them.

Its not being hipster.. its having old parents and loving a lazy Sunday watching a black and white movie or a war film.

Same here. I buy a lot of costume/historical dramas from the 70's that my mother would remember, it's nice to have something we can both enjoy watching.
    I don't have as many films. I showed my mother Harvey for the first time recently and she loved it, I'd love to find more like that.

beauf wrote: »
    The upscaler on a HDMi player (Bluray) might be better than your TV.
    When I say rip I just mean dumping the DVD , cba shrinking them to divx or whatever.

Probably have to revert back to plugging in an old laptop on the VGA input on the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, can you tell me what is great about them? I don't get it. Plastics discs that can break or be scratched which can't happen to a more modern format.

They can be used in computers and TV's, small, easily stored, come with a box that clearly identifies the title and provides additional details, image and summary of the film or tv show. They can have lots of features in them without overdoing it with setting options. If your native language is not English it does not matter. The quality is quite good regardless of date of release. The experience is so much better than other platforms for watching shows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yeah I still buy them the odd time. They're fairly cheap nowadays. I never bothered with blu ray or streaming, seems like a lot of hassle.

I can understand your frustration with streaming movies or TV shows. I could not justify downloading movies or TV shows as I really love the extras out of DVD's and Blu-rays simply because of the digital providers themselves. I also have a crap internet connection as well so that makes downloading digital movies and TV out of the question.

But you opinion for Blu-ray is maybe something out of financial hassle e.g you may not have enough money to buy the content. Or is it not caring too much about great picture or sound quality. For starters if you have a HDTV you can play Blu-rays on a PS3 or PS4 console or from a normal Blu-ray player. If you have the very basic of sound setups, like a soundbar, that is used for DVD's and is good enough for Blu-ray sound quality through being hooked up on your TV then you're really sorted.

Formats like 3D Blu-ray or the new UHD Blu-ray are optional for everybody if you can afford it. Other things like using projectors and high-end speakers are again optional as long you have the money for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

FYP !! ;)
    Don't trust the cloud, HDD is always available when www is down or power cuts hit us.

Last time we'd a power outage, I sat watching movies on my laptop with candles lighting, supping an ale & having a smoke :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

DVD is still the most popular format for shipping films to the public and holds the largest market share. People still like them and still buy them. I'd say there's, at least, another 5-10 years left in them yet.

I'm in the middle of putting my collection on HDD's at the moment though as a backup. These days I find that I'll shove the hard drive into the WD TV Live box than the DVD/Blu into the player. But there certainly isn't the same joy to looking at reams of move names on an HDD, as there is to perusing the physical collection and choosing a film to watch and film nerds like me love the extras you get with a DVD or Blu.

Simple fact is, though, is that there are literally tons of films available on DVD that aren't available on any other format and if you're hunting down something that most of the public wouldn't even have heard about, odds are, it's a DVD you'll be buying. Especially in the case of streaming, which is largely catered toward the "popular". You won't find 'The Tenderness of Wolves' on Netflix.

What I'll also predict is that this 4K business that's being mooted will be a relative failure. The ordinary film watching public simply won't be bothered. Most of them still aren't even bothered with Blu-ray and 4K will remain an extreme cinephile pass time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As I get older I'm quite enjoying going to the DVD shop in the car, giving the nice lady €2, and driving away with the DVD sitting on the shotgun seat. Go home, watch movie, have a nice time, drop the DVD back again on the way to the office the following day.

Simple, effective, and very little chance of something going BING and spoiling the evening, and also of finding some days later that you have no money because fifteen-year-old Russians took it all using the Electrickery, and also speaking to people from Interpol about your apparent speeding offences in Bulgaria.

I have a Blu-ray player as it happens, because I got a Christmas present of one in 2013. It also functions as a slightly crappy media streaming centre, but I took delivery of a Roku streaming stick this morning to sort that out and usefully occupy the second HDMI slot on the television. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can't remember the last one I bought, but I have quite the collection built up over the years.
    Some days I look at it and tell myself to strip it down to the bare essentials, but can always justify not doing it. A day will come when I will just box them all off and try to get some cash for them. But not today.

Actually just thinking, if there is something that I really want now, I'd want it on Bluray, so I doubt I'll buy a DVD ever again.

Advertisement