Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone still buy Dvds?

Options
  • 23-10-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

I don't believe I've watched let alone bought a dvd for a long long time, with so much streaming media legal or otherwise now widely available for me anyhow the humble dvd once the most sought after gadget has become obsolete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Archeron

If I see a film for a euro in a car boot sale that I'd like to watch again I'll buy it, but with the intention of giving it or throwing it away immediately after. Its easy to watch on the PC which is hooked to the telly for Netflix anyway. Other than that, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yes.

I like having a physical copy of the shows/films I want to watch.

I must have over 1000 films on DVD currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I was only wondering about this today myself. I was waiting for a bus outside an Xtra Vision (didn't realise they still even existed) and I had ten minutes to spare so I considered heading inside to have a look. As I walked closer to the door I noticed there were absolutely no customers whatsoever inside, so I thought I better not. I didn't want to get the staff's hopes up when they saw me, getting all excited about - finally! - a potential sale, and then watching me walk straight back out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Yes. I prefer to have the physical discs and boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 PGE2

Yes, I'll be buying inside out in a few weeks when it's released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

People with no internet, or bad internet. Kids for in car DVD. I cleared out my DVD's to the charity shop, only kept few I know I'll will watch again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have a very large blu ray collection, cos I'm a fossil who will always choose physical media over digital. No DVD's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'll still buy CDs on occasion as I like having a physical copy to add to my record collection and to me anyway it's a superior sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope, can't actually remember the last time I bought one. I bought a hard drive to keep copies of anything I want to own a copy of, although since I picked up an Android box the hard drive has pretty much become a place to store my comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am trying to get rid of my collection, which isn't that large, maybe 100 or so. Rent from library or stream mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

12TB of HDD's filled with a cornucopia of genres, all in HD...

All hail the HDD, DVD is dead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bought 50 of them for my daughter. They were all classic Pixar and Disney films and box sets aswell for 25 quid
    Only time I bought them in years but was defo worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

I do like the occasional DVD box set of something... can't be arsed paying the premium for Bluray, and the selection on Irish Netflix is shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Maybe about 4000 of them more if you count boxed sets just bought another 4 at 99p each this week. I collect war films and stuff like that and few of the online services have a fraction of the titles I have.

I don't keep boxes anymore just the actual DVD's so the space they take up is less of an issue.

Also have very poor internet connect (thanks three) so streaming anything isn't an option.

Maybe about 4000 of them more if you count boxed sets just bought another 4 at 99p each this week. I collect war films and stuff like that and few of the online services have a fraction of the titles I have.

I don't keep boxes anymore just the actual DVD's so the space they take up is less of an issue.

Also have very poor internet connect (thanks three) so streaming anything isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

We love buying dvds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hate watching stuff in standard definition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I'm reminded of the mid 90's when the Dvd first hit, the Virgin megastore on the quays and it's little corner of discs for sale displayed with a player on view that must have cost close to a grand at the time .....it was a place only the inquisitive and rich folk viewed while the rest of us peasants shopped in the row after row of Vhs tapes .....now we've come full circle with row after row of unwanted Dvd discs, progression :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Poxy, expensive internet up here, and I like my extras so thumbs up for DVDs here. Amazon is my friend. So is Cex in Derry.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I hate watching stuff in standard definition

You can't watch any old films an programs with are only available in standard definition because thats what they were filmed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes I buy them to feed my sons Thomas the Tank engine addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 15,701 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I but blu rays and DVDs . Bought Fast7 on Blu-ray recently. Like buying Box Sets too. Never watch anything like that online just would not enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think its like buying cds,
    people buy them as presents .
    Older people buy them .
    IF you are a fan of star wars ,mad men you,ll buy the dvd or blue ray ,
    for the extra s ,the making of scenes etc
    Not everyone has netflix and in rural area,s it can be hard to get a fast broadband connection .
    I dont see the point of buying old films on blueray.
    ie films made before 2000 ,not filmed in hd format .
    I think theres a new bluray hd format coming out but you,ll need a new player
    to play the discs ,it,ll also paly dvds and blueray discs .
    i think in 10 years some people will have a laptop and tablet and own zero
    cds or dvds .
    Like people who never get cable tv, and just watch films on the web ,
    iplayer etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Sound from dvds and cds is way superior to downloads. Also way handier.

As for hmv/xtravision - they made a decent profit last year, as did golden discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All the xtravision shops i used to go to are closed down,
    i know there,s a few left .
    There seems to be a new format invented every 4 years ,
    remember when everyone threw out their vhs tapes and bought dvds.
    Or replaced their lps with cds .
    Maybe we,ll all be buying 4k films in 5 years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

riclad wrote: »
    All the xtravision shops i used to go to are closed down,
    i know there,s a few left .
    There seems to be a new format invented every 4 years ,
    remember when everyone threw out their vhs tapes and bought dvds.
    Or replaced their lps with cds .
    Maybe we,ll all be buying 4k films in 5 years .

As long as you can still have a device to play DVD's on then they won't become obsolete.

Trying to constantly keep up with format changes is pointless as they change to often.

I've never bought a blu-ray disc and I don't mind if I never see a film on blu-ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

I only the other day paid for an album for the first time in about fifteen years.

It was digital as well so...

Do people do it? Yes. Do I though? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Do BluRays count? I buy them regularly, but haven't bought a standard DVD in years.

I dislike subscription model services, and the reality that their catalogue can and will change at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

delahuntv wrote: »
    Sound from dvds and cds is way superior to downloads.

That's not true, you can download Bluray ISOs which are the exact same digital files as the physical copy. Netflix streams in DD 5.1 as do many other legal sources.

There are examples where DVD is superior but not the norm.

Edit: As for CDs, Google - HD Tracks, there are music download sites that have bit rates that far exceed CDs. This will only increase with demand where as CD and DVD has reached the limits of their physical media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I stream everything at the touch of a button <cough>

Advertisement