22-11-2020, 18:39   #1
salnado

Is the satellite tuner on the Sony XH85 range any good?

I have been using Freesat on a 32" Samsung for a number of years and works well.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 49/50" and looking at the Sony KD49XH9505 because of the various other capabilities (Homekit, Airplay, Chromecast etc...). This has 2 x sat inputs but I don't think it has a Freesat tuner. My question is, if it doesn't have Freesat tuner what is Sony's Sat tuner like...do you get any EPG..can you record series etc.?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
22-11-2020, 23:50   #2
decor58

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnado View Post
I have been using Freesat on a 32" Samsung for a number of years and works well.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 49/50" and looking at the Sony KD49XH9505 because of the various other capabilities (Homekit, Airplay, Chromecast etc...). This has 2 x sat inputs but I don't think it has a Freesat tuner. My question is, if it doesn't have Freesat tuner what is Sony's Sat tuner like...do you get any EPG..can you record series etc.?

Thanks in advance
If it doesn't have Freesat most likely to just get now and next, series link would be out but you could just set timed recordings, fairly reliable you just have to be conscious of program changes or overruns.
23-11-2020, 17:25   #3
mackersdublin

Quote:

Thanks in advance
LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the only TVs that Freesat can be on
23-11-2020, 17:51   #4
salnado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackersdublin View Post
LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the only TVs that Freesat can be on
That's not correct. Some of the larger Sony's have Freesat tuners e.g. kd55xh9005
(2) thanks from:
23-11-2020, 18:21   #5
mackersdublin

Quote:
That's not correct. Some of the larger Sony's have Freesat tuners e.g. kd55xh9005
Apologies, Sony must of added Freesat to their 2020 models. Certainly for the last 5 years or so, only the 3 brands I listed earlier had Freesat
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2020, 16:23   #6
Alex Sky Doctor

My Sony Bravia KDL-32W654A is connected dirrectly to the dish. Works perfectly! I have it for 5 years.
25-11-2020, 19:45   #7
decor58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sky Doctor View Post
My Sony Bravia KDL-32W654A is connected dirrectly to the dish. Works perfectly! I have it for 5 years.
Just curious, does the TV have Freesat , i.e. channels in order, full epg, etc, or did you have to reorder the channels, now and next epg.
25-11-2020, 22:43   #8
Alex Sky Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by decor58 View Post
Just curious, does the TV have Freesat , i.e. channels in order, full epg, etc, or did you have to reorder the channels, now and next epg.
To be honest I don't know. I just did full scan, and from the "digital channel list" grabbed my favourites. There are 4 folders to sort them out. In fact I just watch few channels.
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 08:48   #9
salnado

Quote:
Originally Posted by decor58 View Post
It doesn't have Freesat, that's why I was looking for feedback on the tuner/EPG provided by Sony
Advertisement
26-11-2020, 08:56   #10
JDxtra

Quote:
It doesn't have Freesat, that's why I was looking for feedback on the tuner/EPG provided by Sony
If it doesn't have Freesat, it'll be difficult. I've used a Sony Android TV before with satellite and no Freesat and it was a horrible interface to tune and manage stations.
26-11-2020, 09:03   #11
Phil.x

Get a Walker tv.
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 11:07   #12
mackersdublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.x View Post
Get a Walker tv.
Rather than a Sony XH85, you can't be serious. Comparing a top of the range Sony TV to a budget brand is laughable
26-11-2020, 11:48   #13
EdmondShiels3

If it is like the older sony TV it only has now and next for the channel you are watching. You have to tune it if channels change. It does record but you have to set it manually. This can be an issue if a program you record changed time some days but this would only be a very few programs. On the model I have to sort the channels, you have to use a USB memory stick and download the channels on to it and then user a sony program on the computer to edit the channels. I tried this but I had to disconnect the hard drive I use for recording as you could not connect the memory stick with it connected. Even using another USB port. I then had trouble getting it to detect the Hard drive again. I then did not bother sorting the channels. This issue could be resolved in newer models. They are great TV's but I would get a freesat receiver as it will have a full guide and recording function and no re-tune needed for channel changes. Saorview has the full guide but no seires link but option to set programs daily, weekly, Monday-Friday etc.
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 11:50   #14
JDxtra

A Samsung QLED (with Freesat) like this would be a better choice. Or, if still keen on the Sony then get a separate Freesat external box and use the Sony for any smart apps/casting and Saorview.
26-11-2020, 12:28   #15
salnado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxtra View Post
A Samsung QLED (with Freesat) like this would be a better choice. Or, if still keen on the Sony then get a separate Freesat external box and use the Sony for any smart apps/casting and Saorview.
Yes, was considering that one too, but it's €150 more expensive to get Freesat, but lose built-in Chromecast and possibly lose out on picture quality (depending on your opinion on Samsung vs Sony).

I already have a Humax box for the 32", 10 year old non-smart Sony that I want to replace...but there are people in the house who would like to avoid cables and second remotes so trying to keep everyone happy!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion