Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the satellite tuner on the Sony XH85 range any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

deezell wrote: »
    When I tried to install from my pc browser, it lists all my devices, with sony tv tagged as incompatible. I browsed play store on the tv browser itself, and there were two versions, and of course, the second was compatible, with only the TV, so happy days. I note from my google play log alert that it states I've installed a linux app. Interesting, i wonder would this version work in my Enigma 2 box? I feel some fiddling coming on...
    Thanks for headsup, I assumed the region killed the player, as it did on my Samsung.

Glad it worked, this TV is the only device in the house using the Play store (everything else is Apple :)) so I didn't realise there were other ways to install than from on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all,

I'm thinking of replacing our 10 year old Panasonic G20B and I was previously seriously thinking about an LG until I read this thread. I have been looking at a 43" KD43XH8096BU. I won't be going bigger than 43", but is there any other feature on any other 43" model which is worth waiting for or worth paying extra for ?

If I set the region to UK for FreesatHD, can you download RTE Player App ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭deezell

championc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of replacing our 10 year old Panasonic G20B and I was previously seriously thinking about an LG until I read this thread. I have been looking at a 43" KD43XH8096BU. I won't be going bigger than 43", but is there any other feature on any other 43" model which is worth waiting for or worth paying extra for ?

If I set the region to UK for FreesatHD, can you download RTE Player App ?

Thanks in advance

Yes, because it uses Android, you can download a TV android compatible version of RTE player. Other non android TV such as samsung have an RTE player app which is tied to the TV region, and can't be installed manually if you've set the region to UK for Freesat.

The KD43XH8505 and KD43XH9196 are the only other 43 Sony with a few extra features for an extra €100+ .Better contrast VA panel. 2 times/2.5 times interpolation rate, (motion flow), extra HDMI 2.1 socket, two satellite tuners, and a few extra audio winkles, but otherwise the spec and processors are identical. Slightly different stand and bezel. Try and eyeball them in currys, power city, hardly normals. There were a few significant differences in the 55 inch versions XH8196 and XH9005 when I bought, sufficient to justify the €100+ extra I paid for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Yes, because it uses Android, you can download a TV android compatible version of RTE player. Other non android TV such as Samsung have an RTE player app which is tied to the TV region, and can't be installed manually if you've set the region to UK for Freesat

That's not true at all. I have a Samsung and a LG TV both set to UK on initial setup for Freesat, but the RTE Player is pre-installed on both because the Wifi they are connected to is an Irish IP address. Freesat comes from your dish and has nothing to do with Apps pre-installed on your Smart TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

That's not true at all. I have a Samsung and a LG TV both set to UK on initial setup for Freesat, but the RTE Player is pre-installed on both because the Wifi they are connected to is an Irish IP address. Freesat comes from your dish and has nothing to do with Apps pre-installed on your Smart TV

Not familiar with the recent Samsungs but don't think my LG OLED is going by geolocation in terms of the apps available to install.

It does however have separate country settings for tuning and online services so tuning can be UK to get Freesat and online services set to Ireland to get the Irish players (most the UK players wont work anyway due to geolocation but they can be installed when set to UK) so ultimate result is as you indicate.

• Advertisement

That was not my experience. My Samsung had RTE player when in ROI region, and BBC iplayer when in UK. For that reason and the extreme difficulty of sorting terrestrial channels on what was now a Freeview terrestrial receiver, I reverted to Roi region. My channel list reverted to Saorview on Terrestrial, unsorted Astra on satellite, and BBC iPlayer disappeared. Oddly enough, I had been able to use it with a DNS proxy service, but it was too much hassle not having Saorview start at 1, plus no autoupdate. Amazingly, after a few days, Freesat reappeared, despite being in region ROI. So I had nearly all I wanted, except it took eleven torturous button presses just to change tuners. This is major, as leaving the set on satellite causes divorce proceedings when swmbo can't get RTE1 simply by pressing 1, or a few taps on the ch + -. This is the subject of several other threads on boards, particularly for people buying sets for older users.
    Happily, this Sony does it all. I even have iplayer installed, but I haven't bothered to revisit the complex vpn/dns configuration required to make it work, and I probably won't at this stage.

For the size of our room, I'm only going with a 43" replacement for my current 37" Panasonic. One minute I'm looking at a €400+ set but then, thanks to this thread, I was drawn in to Sony's and looking at €600+.

Given the fact that this will be a once in 10 years investment, I'm finding it very difficult not to justify the XH85. My son's Student Leap card gives 10% off the €779 price, which is looking better in the proposal to swmbo :)

The new Google TV android interface is coming to most Sony android TV models from about 2016 on. Here's a list. Note X90H is the US version of our designations, XH90** and so on. Link to an article below.

FY21: W800
    FY20: Z9H, Z8H, A9S, A8H, X95H, X92H, X91H, X90H, X85H, X81H, X80H, X75H
    FY19: Z9G, A9G, A8G, X95G, X90G, X87G, X85G, X83G, X81G, X80G, W80G
    FY18: A9F, Z9F, A8F, X90F, X87F, X85F, X83F, X80F, X78F, X75F, W80F
    FY17: A1, X95E, X94E, X93E, X90E, X85E, X82E, X80E, X75E
    FY16: Z9D, X83D, X80D, S80D, X75D, X70D

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/28/googles-new-discover-homescreen-is-coming-to-sony-android-tvs/

I picked up my 8505 yesterday. Slotted in seamlessly with my LG sound bar. I'm still figuring out my way through the menus.

I've set the tv up to do Freesat, so all the Saorview channels are scanned into the 800's. Unfortunately, I cannot see how to renumber these. Is there a method to have Saorview in a more decent order. I've got RTE2 followed by RTE1 followed by Oireachtas I think I assume that if I change the region back to Ireland, that Freesat will disappear ?

I picked up my 8505 yesterday. Slotted in seamlessly with my LG sound bar. I'm still figuring out my way through the menus.

I've set the tv up to do Freesat, so all the Saorview channels are scanned into the 800's. Unfortunately, I cannot see how to renumber these. Is there a method to have Saorview in a more decent order. I've got RTE2 followed by RTE1 followed by Oireachtas I think I assume that if I change the region back to Ireland, that Freesat will disappear ?

Press the Settings button on the remote, then select Settings/Watching TV/Channels/Channel list Edit/Digital. Here you can select reorder, delete and renumber by moving the raw list. Move RTE1 to 001, and so on. Delete everything else after about 013.
    Yes, Freesat region dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It can be done, though my memory is a bit hazy.

On initial set up, pick Ireland, tune in terrestrial channels. When the channels are tuned in, back up in the menu to where you can pick country UK, then Freesat option will be there to tune in.

After all that, the terrestrial channels will still be there from earlier, still with their correct channel numbers. And of course Freesat will be working too.

byte wrote: »
    It can be done, though my memory is a bit hazy.

On initial set up, pick Ireland, tune in terrestrial channels. When the channels are tuned in, back up in the menu to where you can pick country UK, then Freesat option will be there to tune in.

After all that, the terrestrial channels will still be there from earlier, still with their correct channel numbers. And of course Freesat will be working too.

A channel list saved under region Ireland will not restore when you change region to UK, the set will display 'Wrong region' or the like. Now the file it saves to USB is an XML file, a script file wilh a region entry in the header, so if you want, you can edit it and change IRL or ROI to UK, I can't remember which it was. This might work, but its a doddle to renumber the terrestrial channel list, there's only 9, and a few test card unused channels. Restoring the astra sat list while in UK may completely mess up the sorted sat list you get when you scan astra in UK region, (separate from the Freesat sorted and full egg list, which is a third scan)
    Edit; on rereading, I think you mean back up as against backup. Hitting the back button. Not saving the terrestrial list. Afair, you have to reset the telly to change the region, you can't just change it as a setting, so everything is deleted and you're back to factory settings

Thanks all. She is enjoying the vivid colours, so maybe i'll get up at 06:00 to have an opportunity to spend more time going through the settings !!!

byte

Edit; on rereading, I think you mean back up as against backup. Hitting the back button. Not saving the terrestrial list. Afair, you have to reset the telly to change the region, you can't just change it as a setting, so everything is deleted and you're back to factory settings

Yeah, back up on the menus, as opposed to using a backup. Sorry, I should've phrased it better. Don't leave the setup menu.

Workmate has done it a few times on various Sony TV's at work (electrical retailer). He's able to save the terrestrial, then go back to country choice, pick UK and choose Freesat, and when finished, Freesat works with Terrestrial channels numbered as normal.

I'll need to clarify with him on Wednesday, but that was the gist of it. If it's quiet, I might try record the process.

salnado wrote: »
    Great tip thanks, hadn't thought of that for VM player - works for me

I see VM player is now available in android TV version, just installed it on the Sony there. Seems to work OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭decor58

I see VM player is now available in android TV version, just installed it on the Sony there. Seems to work OK.

We had a Sony smart TV many years ago which had TV3player, Sony appears to be one of the few brands with TV3/VM player, is it on all android tvs
    or just Sony. Wasn't there a tie up between Sony and Tv3, regarding a studio upgrade,

decor58 wrote: »
    We had a Sony smart TV many years ago which had TV3player, Sony appears to be one of the few brands with TV3/VM player, is it on all android tvs
    or just Sony. Wasn't there a tie up between Sony and Tv3, regarding a studio upgrade,

I was just browsing the (TV) app store when it showed up. I had been using the browser version of Vmplayer on the tv browser as the standard android version wouldn't run on AndroidTV platform. I think this version good to go on any Android TV, stick or box, or Google TV systems also.

Here's BBC iplayer for Android TV,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/155ZXUWhrCsLkgWguMhA5nUFOLMIo05ys/view?usp=drivesdk

Iplayer doesn't normally show up in a Playstore search when you're not in UK, and won't play anyway. If you sign up for a trial from here,
    https://unlocator.com/
    You can change your network connections on the tv to Static, and change the last two entries to 185.37.37.37 and 185.37.39.39 . Use the existing network values for ip and gateway.

Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

decor58 wrote: »

It's also on Android TV through the Nvidia Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

Here's BBC iplayer for Android TV,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/155ZXUWhrCsLkgWguMhA5nUFOLMIo05ys/view?usp=drivesdk

Iplayer doesn't normally show up in a Playstore search when you're not in UK, and won't play anyway.

How do you get that file installed on the TV?

• Advertisement

salnado wrote: »
    How do you get that file installed on the TV?

Sorry, should have explained that. There's an androidTV app called APK installer in the app list on sony tvs, settings/apps/see all apps. If not already installed, search for it in the TVs App Store. Put the iplayer .apk file
    on a USB stick into the TV, run apk installer, and load and run the .apk file. The iplayer app will appear in the app list, you can add it to the favourites.
    Sign up to unlocator, it will add your external Internet ip address to their list, then when you set the TV DNS addresses to the two I listed, their server will do its thing and your iplayer app will stream.

byte

byte wrote: »
    Yeah, back up on the menus, as opposed to using a backup. Sorry, I should've phrased it better. Don't leave the setup menu.

Workmate has done it a few times on various Sony TV's at work (electrical retailer). He's able to save the terrestrial, then go back to country choice, pick UK and choose Freesat, and when finished, Freesat works with Terrestrial channels numbered as normal.

I'll need to clarify with him on Wednesday, but that was the gist of it. If it's quiet, I might try record the process.

Finally got around to this, though I'm sure anyone who wondered has it figured by now.

First, pick Ireland as country:
    jv8zzjp.jpg

Tune in Digital terrestrial channels:
    7jPWPL0.jpg

GdD7amF.jpg

Then press BACK button to country choice and choose UK:
    GW0kMRQ.jpg

Now Freesat is an option to tune (you see on the far left that the DTT channels are still there):
    PyYqFjm.jpg

After all the tuning is done, you should have as below:
    QsTaPJ9.jpg

Sorry for the poor images and a lack of video. Time constraints got in the way!

The likes of RTÉ Player still worked when we last tried, but didn't get a chance to try again today on the new X81J model. Still pre-installed though.

That is a brilliant bodge. I wonder will the terrestrial tuner continue to operate as a Saorview tuner, with Saorview automatic updates, or as a generic or Freeview Dvb-T terrestrial tuner, requiring manual retunes when Saorview channels change.
    I had some very odd EPG and channel list problems, whereby half the Saorview channels would disappear from my favourite list. And I had no epg data for this multiplexe's channels.. I discovered the problem arose when the TV assembled the RTE list of channels from two different locations' multiplex, e.g. tuning RTE1 and others from channel 34 on Kippure, then using the RTE2 mux on ch 33 from Three Rock. As a result, epg data was only available for half the channels, as it mismatched the channel ids from the wrong transmitter. I have to do a manual scan of terrestrial, selecting the two Kippure mux channels, 34, 35. to avoid this problem. A terrestrial tuner operating in Saorview, not Freeview(UK) mode would not need manual retunes when channels shifted or changed spec.

For anyone who installed the BBC iplayer app and DNS trial to get it to work, the Euros are (partly) on BBC and BBC iplayer, but the iplayer is in 4K for the football, so if your broadband is fast enough, (>40Mbs, but ideally faster to allow for speed drop and surge), you can watch in 4K free. If you have wired ethernet to the set it will help prevent glitches also.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

I picked up the 43XH8196 slightly lower spec TV today. As it's last years model it is currently on clearance at €599. Excellent TV for the money.

I followed the excellent advice of Byte and have Freesat and Saorview on the 2 guides however one issue is that if you are recording a programme on say Freesat you cannot switch to Saorview. The set only has one sat input but i would have thought that the 2 tuners were separate and that I could watch say RTE1 on Saorview whilst recording a programme on say BBC1?

Any advice chaps?

(Obviously I could use the RTE Player but this might not always work e.g RTE+1 or RTE News not available this way).

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭decor58

I keep an Ariva combo for that reason, a one for all remote works tv and combo box, just switch source on tv.

That's an option, looks like I might have to keep the old Sky HD+ box. Still cannot understand why one cannot watch via one tuner (eg sat) and record via the other (DTT)....

I would have thought so too, so I've just hooked up an HDD to my XH9005, its configured with terrestrial and only a single sat input, though it can take two. I Recorded RTE1 no prob while I switched over to BBC2. Can't think of an immediate reason why it should not work, XH8196 is substantially the same TV, just a few bells missing, 2nd Sat input, BT audio out and Full array backlighting. It's hardly the tuner bodge that allowed split regions? Mine is tuned all in UK, I just sorted and relisted the Freeview Terrestrialtune of RTE. I Didn't bother redoing it with Byte's method, if its not broken etc, but I'm not getting automating of Saorview, which is a bit of a problem sometimes as high trees in the wind can mess up my optimal source. Maybe I'll fiddle with it.

I checked it out with Sony and according to them its not possible. Although I still cannot figure out exactly why?

There are 2 separate tuners if you have a model which takes 2 sat feeds (as you have with XH9005) so recording on DTT is possible whilst watching a different channel on Freesat.

If I had known this is advance I might have held out for a higher spec TV with the 2 sat feeds.

I might try the UK only setup and see what happens; otherwise a good TV.

• Advertisement

It doesn't make sense though, unless at the demultiplex level of the 8000 series there is only a single stream decoder, then in that case it may be that the 9000 series has two, to facilitate record and display from any two of three sources. There may even be only one front end on the 8000, configured as either dvb-S or dvb-T. I'm an analogue dinosaur, but I understand the quantum difference in how modern digital signals are encoded and decoded by sophisticated sampling rather than the rigid band tuners of yore. It has to be said that the Linux combi tuners in settop boxes were very impressive in this regard, I pushed an Alien clone to 4 simultaneous channels from its 3 inputs 1 terrestrial and 2 satellite. Playing live saorview while recording one sat, and sending two other live streams, one from a shared tuner multiplex, (terrestrial uhf channel or satellite transponder). The only limit was the processing power of the box. In theory you should require little processing to decode two or more streams from the same mux, e.g, watch RTE2 and record TG4 from one input, as both are demodulated from the same mux.

On the settop box I've just there now recorded TG4, while watching VM1 live, streaming VM2 live to a phone, that's three channels from a single Terrestrial connect. I also had BBC one live to a tablet from the same box, which currently is using only one of two sat inputs. That's on an ageing €80 box. Very disappointing if the 8000 series demux is limited to one channel stream from one source. Not much point in recording something you have to watch.

Advertisement