Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone buy from Canyon lately?

Options
  • 06-03-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi folks.

Just about to order a bike from Canyon.
    Ultimate c.f. slx
    Not available until 29th of April which sounds mad.
    Have heard some horror storys in the past about delivery times and customer service.
    Has anyone bought recently that can put my mind at ease.
    Bought from Rose the last time and found them and the bike brilliant.
    They don't currently have anything that catches the eye so i am leaning towards the Canyon.
    Value wise, there doesn't seem to be anything out there to come close to it.

Any advice or info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I got one last week. Delivery and tracking was spot on through Germany and UK. As soon as it got to Ireland all I got was radio silence until the doorbell rang. Nearly wore out my thumb refreshing the UPS tracking site trying in vain to get some clarification on when it more precisely it might arrive.

Anyway. Arrive it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

sann wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Just about to order a bike from Canyon.
    Ultimate c.f. slx
    Not available until 29th of April which sounds mad.
    Have heard some horror storys in the past about delivery times and customer service.
    Has anyone bought recently that can put my mind at ease.
    Bought from Rose the last time and found them and the bike brilliant.
    They don't currently have anything that catches the eye so i am leaning towards the Canyon.
    Value wise, there doesn't seem to be anything out there to come close to it.

Any advice or info greatly appreciated.

Delivered on time for me, I ordered one in stock though. Service was great, was discussing swapping bars after it arrived but decided not to in the end. Very helpful in both German and Uk office.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭sann

That's good to hear.
    I contacted them there and availability date is when they recieve it so they said to allow another 7 to 10 days for delivery.
    How bad sure.
    I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ordered a 2019 model in November last year, scheduled for end Jan production. Shipped on 29th, received in NZ on 4th Feb, well before indicated by the online tracking of 10th. No complaints from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 eoinbyrne81298

I bought one two years ago. Hasn't been a good experience. Frame snapped just where the front derailleur attaches to the frame when I changed gear(under pressure and the chain got a bit caught between the chainrings and the derailleur). Went through a warranty process with them and kept trying for 3-4months and they refused. Also same thing happened another guy in my club with the same frame. It was the Ultimate Cf SLX. I think they accepted his warranty claim though and his bike was only a month old when it happened.

Also, their stems are all Canyon/Giant specific because of a larger diameter of the fork. And I had an issue with their seatpost clamp as well when the seatpost seized a bit and I was changing the saddle height. It is a small bit of rubber/plastic and it broke when trying to unseize the seatpost. I got in contact with them and they were looking for >50€ for a piece of plastic!

• Advertisement

I bought one two years ago. Hasn't been a good experience. Frame snapped just where the front derailleur attaches to the frame when I changed gear(under pressure and the chain got a bit caught between the chainrings and the derailleur). Went through a warranty process with them and kept trying for 3-4months and they refused. Also same thing happened another guy in my club with the same frame. It was the Ultimate Cf SLX. I think they accepted his warranty claim though and his bike was only a month old when it happened.

Also, their stems are all Canyon/Giant specific because of a larger diameter of the fork. And I had an issue with their seatpost clamp as well when the seatpost seized a bit and I was changing the saddle height. It is a small bit of rubber/plastic and it broke when trying to unseize the seatpost. I got in contact with them and they were looking for >50€ for a piece of plastic!

Wow. That is dissapointing to hear. I had heard the negative reviews regarding customer service but I expected the build quality was excellent.
    Apparently not.
    Time to do some more research I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have bought off them 7 times in the last 10 years and no issues, always found customer service extremely good to deal with. Had a frame replaced under warranty in 2011, no issues with the process and as it turns out it I'm fairly sure it was just a paint crack, they asked for photos of the crack, and then once they'd agreed to send a new frame asked that I saw through the top tube and send them a photo. Once I'd done that I sanded the paint crack and from what I can see the frame underneath wasn't damaged.

Anyway, would highly recommend them, worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

My experience...
    Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 ordered on 25-Jul-18.

Estimated dispatch date was 30-Jul to 3-Aug.
    Actual dispatch date was 25-Jul.

Delivery arrived on 6-Aug.

I haven't needed to contact customer service etc. since so I can't comment on that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I had a fork replaced under warranty after nearly six years - their warranty on frame and forks lasts for six years.

There was a an problem with customer service and deliveries a while back when they were expanding rapidly and changed over to a new ordering system. That appears to be no longer a problem.

The biggest issue with Canyon has always been it's proprietary components, namely the headset and stem diameter. It can be a pain but they will accommodate someone as much as possible if they need a stem changed shortly after purchase.

Don't be put off with the negative account of one person on this forum. Most people who have bought from Canyon have had positive experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, in fairness my neighbour and cycling buddy over the last 7 years has bought:
    a CF SLX dura ace (the old white one)
    a roadlite (aluminium drop bar)
    a Speedmax Al,
    an Endurace Al
    and more recently a CF SLX sram red.
    No issues over and above normal bike stuff. No issues with servicing or parts. No customer service grief.

He still has the original white CF SLX - relegated to winter training now and still trucking away.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replys everyone.
    Much appreciated.
    I had my decision almost made but unknown to myself my budget had crept up a bit while I was browsing on Canyon.
    So I checked back in to rose again with the new budget and came across this

I am caught between the following 2 bikes.

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-x-lite-six-dura-ace-2675772?product_shape=UD-Carbon%2FPiano-Black&article_size=53cm

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/2019/ultimate-cf-slx-9-0.html

Pocket says to go with the Rose and I did really love my x lite crs but the colour scheme does not do it for me. Maybe if it was all black with out the white rose logo.
    Really like the colour scheme and look of the Canyon, but yikes the money is drifting up to stupid stuff that i know I shouldn't be spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a friend, who has two sons. Between them, they have seven Canyons,
    Three mountain bikes and four road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Any truth to, you void your Canyon warranty if you get your lbs to do the servicing and not return to Canyon directly ?

Also is it true that the bearings are absolute muck?

Their bikes sure seem like good value though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Flaccus wrote: »
    Any truth to, you void your Canyon warranty if you get your lbs to do the servicing and not return to Canyon directly ?
    i can't imagine that's true, though i do recall something about specialized not honouring a warranty if initial assembly is not done by an authorised specialized dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Dude, go disc, and di2, maintenance free, and I think Rose is away better bike and value for Money, I would get this, but I'd upgrade the wheels when purchasing, The way I look at disc is, I can race my good wheels all year round, as I'm not worried about the rims being worn over s**t from the road getting on the pads etc.

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-x-lite-four-disc-ultegra-di2-2661675

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Flaccus wrote: »

Also is it true that the bearings are absolute muck?

Their bikes sure seem like good value though.

No truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Posted here previously, but another happy canyon customer.

First bike was lower end road bike, endurace 7.0 alu 2014. Ordered from stock so a couple of weeks waiting mostly due to post-payment for bike to work. Lots of bike for the money. Had headset replaced in lbs no problems with proprietary sizing but it was lower end so not sure.

Second bike was carbon roadlite last year. Again, incredible value for the spec. Three week wait but arrived 3 days before estimated dispatch. I had been watching their sale prices daily but the model I wanted wasn’t reduced at all. Sale seemed over, then the day after ordering, all their roadlites dropped in price, mine by €300. Considered cancelling and reordering, but it was now at a 2 month or so wait due to the sale price. Asked about it on live chat and they couldn’t have refunded the difference quicker, without any issues.

Also, a friend has a couple of rose bikes, he seems just as happy but don’t know exact details. Narrowing it down to those two seems sensible and I’m sure you’ll be delighted with either

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks for all the replys everyone.
    Much appreciated.
    I had my decision almost made but unknown to myself my budget had crept up a bit while I was browsing on Canyon.
    So I checked back in to rose again with the new budget and came across this

I am caught between the following 2 bikes.

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-x-lite-six-dura-ace-2675772?product_shape=UD-Carbon%2FPiano-Black&article_size=53cm

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/2019/ultimate-cf-slx-9-0.html

Pocket says to go with the Rose and I did really love my x lite crs but the colour scheme does not do it for me. Maybe if it was all black with out the white rose logo.
    Really like the colour scheme and look of the Canyon, but yikes the money is drifting up to stupid stuff that i know I shouldn't be spending.

I am going for the Rose. No issue with Canyon, I know quite a few people.with them. IIRC there are minor issues with parts and cost of replacement s being a pain in the hole but overall they seem happy. The Rose just appears as if any bits and pieces needed can be sourced from general supplies.

What's the weight on the Canyon fully built?

Dude, go disc, and di2, maintenance free, and I think Rose is away better bike and value for Money, I would get this, but I'd upgrade the wheels when purchasing, The way I look at disc is, I can race my good wheels all year round, as I'm not worried about the rims being worn over s**t from the road getting on the pads etc.

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-x-lite-four-disc-ultegra-di2-2661675

Oh sweet Jesus no.😄
    I absolutely hate the look of disc.
    The di2 gave way 2 much trouble by some of the lads in the club.
    Ireland's climate is just 2 damp and wet for electronic.
    Absolutely. The rose beats it hands down for value and it's the reason I bought the x lite crs ultegra in the black and yellow last year.
    It's just the colour of the current model that is pushing me towards the Canyon.
    Beginning to think that i just just go with the canyon ultegra. The only reason I was going up to the slx over the sl was that it was available in my all time dream colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Colour is very important.
    Go for your dream scheme

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am going for the Rose. No issue with Canyon, I know quite a few people.with them. IIRC there are minor issues with parts and cost of replacement s being a pain in the hole but overall they seem happy. The Rose just appears as if any bits and pieces needed can be sourced from general supplies.

What's the weight on the Canyon fully built?

Not sure of the weight. It is giving 6.4kg without pedals for a medium.
    Rose is the same but I know from experience that rose are being very generous to themselves at that. My rose was 300g heavier than what was quoted

Oh sweet Jesus no.��
    Absolutely. The rose beats it hands down for value and it's the reason I bought the x lite crs ultegra in the black and yellow last year.
    It's just the colour of the current model that is pushing me towards the Canyon.
    Beginning to think that i just just go with the canyon ultegra. The only reason I was going up to the slx over the sl was that it was available in my all time dream colour scheme.

:pac: I understand, I dont agree with you though :D
    Ive seen Sram etap give loads of trouble, only a small number of d12, and mostly from people that would wreck wrought iron.
    I would have agreed with the discs last year, but now I think they have grown on me, plus I have had too many close calls in the rain on rim, although I'm still hanging on to my DA De Rosa.
    But I bought the tarmac pro sl6 disc pro a few weeks ago, and I love it.

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/17240411060878917

:pac: I understand, I dont agree with you though :D
    Ive seen Sram etap give loads of trouble, only a small number of d12, and mostly from people that would wreck wrought iron.
    I would have agreed with the discs last year, but now I think they have grown on me, plus I have had too many close calls in the rain on rim, although I'm still hanging on to my DA De Rosa.
    But I bought the tarmac pro sl6 disc pro a few weeks ago, and I love it.

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/17240411060878917

Lovely bike.
    I just think you pay so much to buy the lightest of the lightest and then you bang on discs and a battery for DI2.
    It's just against my religion. :')

Lovely bike.
    I just think you pay so much to buy the lightest of the lightest and then you bang on discs and a battery for DI2.
    It's just against my religion. :')

Yeah, I stopped worrying about weight about 5 years ago, now I prefer comfort, durability and as little maintenance as possible. I havent weighed the tarmac yet-probably 7.4, so it m ught be a small water bottle heavier than my De Rosa. I do still love the art of debating pros and cons though-I argued against discs on the road, until the 3rd stage od ras mumhann last year when I couldnt feel my fingers and was trying to brake going down after cumanaspig.

But hey, it's a new bike, so it's fun fun fun

Yeah, I stopped worrying about weight about 5 years ago, now I prefer comfort, durability and as little maintenance as possible. I havent weighed the tarmac yet-probably 7.4, so it m ught be a small water bottle heavier than my De Rosa. I do still love the art of debating pros and cons though-I argued against discs on the road, until the 3rd stage od ras mumhann last year when I couldnt feel my fingers and was trying to brake going down after cumanaspig.

But hey, it's a new bike, so it's fun fun fun

Oh you poor MF.
    I was doing service behind our lads coming off coomanaspig that day. One of them went in over a ditch a first hairpin on decent cos he couldn't brake.
    Luckily I have no ambitions at the moment to do Ras Munhan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Oh sweet Jesus no.��

Eh? The one trouble Ive had is switching on synchro shift (cos I just didn't understand it). Never noticed any diff in performance, winter v summer, wet v dry. Keep the chain and derailleurs clean and there's no trouble. this on the older 6870 ultegra.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

just think Discs don't look nice, I no longer have any qualms about them racing around me but they still look as ugly as fook on a sexy road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a friend, who has two sons. Between them, they have seven Canyons,
    Three mountain bikes and four road bikes.

How many of them are going to St. Ives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

davef1000 wrote: »
    How many of them are going to St. Ives?
    Ha! This scene suddenly came to mind when you said that...
    die-hard-with-a-vengeance-phone.jpg?quality=100&w=650

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, I stopped worrying about weight about 5 years ago, now I prefer comfort, durability and as little maintenance as possible.
    my go to bike has a listed weight of 10.44KG, IIRC. it's bloody great.

Advertisement