Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom Eternal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bethesda always, always have a review embargo until right up to release so don't expect review until release date or the day before

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks amazing.

Reviews release today @12:00pm I think.....

194b3ab0315cbbdc4fde2888491ede75.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Reviews release today @12:00pm I think.....

194b3ab0315cbbdc4fde2888491ede75.gif

Review embargo lifts at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Reviews are live

IGN – 9
    VGC – 4/5
    PC Gamer – 94/100
    Videogamer – 8
    Gamesradar – 3.5/5
    Stevivor – 9
    EGM – 4/5
    Gamespot – 8 (In progress)
    USgamer – In progress
    Eurogamer – No score
    PC Gamer – 94/100

• Advertisement

Is it Friday yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer review is surprising. Not even a recommended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh no, they’ve put more story into it :/

Not as big on 2016 as some others as I think it was actually fairly bloated despite the magnificence of the core gameplay. Sounds like this is ‘more bloat’. Still, will give it a go in a few months* once there’s less stuff out and it drops in a price a few quid.

*lol planing for a ‘few months’ as normal seems rather optimistic today :pac:

Buzzkill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Reviews are live

IGN – 9
    VGC – 4/5
    PC Gamer – 94/100
    Videogamer – 8
    Gamesradar – 3.5/5
    Stevivor – 9
    EGM – 4/5
    Gamespot – 8 (In progress)
    USgamer – In progress
    Eurogamer – No score
    PC Gamer – 94/100

The RPS verdict is summed up in the last paragraph; "Doom Eternal is a lot like the last game, but better."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Is it Friday yet

Bethesda are allowing the release to be broken, have asked on twitter if GameStop are selling it tomorrow to get my CE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Bethesda are allowing the release to be broken, have asked on twitter if GameStop are selling it tomorrow to get my CE.
    I do like the helmet in the Collector's Edition.

Never forget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I still use Eurogamer for most of my gaming info but years on I still cannot get my head around their move away from a numerical score system to the trash review system that is Avoid, Recommended, Essential. It is a brutal system and will forever annoy me.

I prefer it myself. Makes you read the review and see where the reviewer is coming from

The Eurogamer review is poor tbh

Good comment

"So the campaign (what most people will buy the game for) is one of the best we'll play all year, but the game isn't recommended because you think Doom should be more than it is? I feel like this is another example of Eurogamer's odd judgements where they want to write a feature about an element of a game they're interested in rather than letting us know how good the game is at what it's actually trying to be. You can just do features and reviews separately."

It's currently averaging 90% on Metacritic across all review
    Hype is real

It's just one reviewers opinion stating his own preferences on a game. It doesn't cover how everyone should feel about the game.

There's also been plenty of times when games have received rave reviews but a few less enthusiastic reviews which got heaps of bile thrown at them by people that hadn't even played the game only for the reviews to be proven correct in retrospect. Fallout 4 and GTA4 spring to mind.

Think the reviewer raises some valid concerns. All reviews seem to mention that platforming is weak. Down time searching for upgrades kills the games pace, which is something I found in the original, so much so I just ignored them and found the game was a much better experience. However it seems tangible and necessary upgrades my be hidden behind these secrets and can't really be ignored. And then there's the story which I'm not sure the reviewer is for or against there being more of it, very confused stance on it. Found the originals mockery and disregard for the story a delight so not sure I'm up for expanded story and lore.

There's a massive amount of lore in the first game

He obviously didnt look for it the first time round or was interested in it

So the fact there's just as much in this game is no different so why give it **** about it now

Just because one person negates the lore in the first game and puts it off as an "in joke" doesn't mean the thought process can't be applied to the new game on that basis.

It's weird nitpicking from Eurogamer

Again ultimately if he says it's the best campaign we will play all year and yet he turns around and then tells readers he can't recommend it. That's bolox IMO

Hate how games handle lore in most games and doom was no better but I had loads of fun ignoring it in Doom 2016 as it actively made the game worse. I was glad I could ignore it all. Hoping it's the same in the new one and if its not then I can definitely see why it's a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ACG has his review up as well. He's always very fair in his opinion.

For anyone getting this on console this has released in Gamestop and Argos a day early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't bother with Eurogamer anymore. Their review system is terrible.

"The game is brilliant but there's a few small niggles so thanks to our patented POS review system, it's a non recommend"

Anyone picked this up yet? My local GS haven't received their delivery yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's still a few hours away from being on even on digital (Bethesda)

Cordell wrote: »
    It's still a few hours away from being on even on digital (Bethesda)

The single player is playable from the disc if on console.

Still no sign of the delivery to my local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cheapest price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

~e37 on cdkeys and instant gaming.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Advertisement