Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Shutdown

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Yes, **** off to those countries where they turn on red because I made a point about the system there.

Quit the job, sell the house and move over to one of these wonderful countries because they have a different traffic light system.

We are reaching critical levels of IQ here, it's over 9000.
    Isolation crazy setting in. Be gentle with him lads :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCCG2Z9LoVk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Del2005 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how long the orange is on for as it's not the signal to go yet in the UK they all go on orange. I've driven in all 3 countries so I know how their lights work.

There is no delay between sequences. By the time it turns green, the other one is already red while here it stays red for everyone for a couple of seconds to accomodate red light breakers. That's why you don't get many breaking red lights as that would result in an accident while here it is much safer to break red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is no delay between sequences. By the time it turns green, the other one is already red while here it stays red for everyone for a couple of seconds to accomodate red light breakers. That's why you don't get many breaking red lights as that would result in an accident while here it is much safer to break red lights.

You seem to think that I've never seen traffic lights in the UK. I know the sequence and the time each light is on, they go on the orange not the green.

I usually look at the lights on the other road to prepare to move off on my green, while watching for red light bandits, and I've never seen the other road go red and mine not turn green nearly instantly.

It's never safe to break red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It doesn't stay red to accommodate red light breakers. It stays red to allow for the passage of slow moving vehicles. It's never safe to break a red light.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

You seem to think that I've never seen traffic lights in the UK. I know the sequence and the time each light is on, they go on the orange not the green.

I usually look at the lights on the other road to prepare to move off on my green, while watching for red light bandits, and I've never seen the other road go red and mine not turn green nearly instantly.

It's never safe to break red lights.

Why it's not safe? You have a more than enough time to go through the junction. That is the reason it is there.

• Advertisement

Why it's not safe? You have a more than enough time to go through the junction. That is the reason it is there.

FFS if people believe this crap it's no wonder so many break the red. You're supposed to stop on orange unless its unsafe to do so not motor though on red.

FFS if people believe this crap it's no wonder so many break the red. You're supposed to stop on orange unless its unsafe to do so not motor though on red.
    You will never educate some people. Stupid is as stupid does. :)

Emmersonn wrote: »
    You will never educate some people. Stupid is as stupid does. :)

🀦*♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Some people ride motorcycles, and some ride donorcycles.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Some people ride motorcycles, and some ride donorcycles.

Don't ride motorcycles. I drive a large SUV.

• Advertisement

Don't ride motorcycles. I drive a large SUV.
    That says it all and explains the attitude to rules and regulations. Probably a 5/8 builder also. :p

Don't know if these guys were out legit or going for a spin but I guarantee that neither planned to be were they are now.

https://www.thejournal.ie/motorcycle-crash-kerry-5077022-Apr2020/

If we weren't staying home trying to avoid being like the UK, USA, Spain or Italy then it could be a though decision for a doctor.

Don't know if these guys were out legit or going for a spin but I guarantee that neither planned to be were they are now.

If we weren't staying home trying to avoid being like the UK, USA, Spain or Italy then it could be a though decision for a doctor.

I like how you left out Sweden. Doesn't suit your agenda obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Breezin

You sound pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

can you two trolls jog on out of the motorcycle section. back to whatever covid 19 rock you crawled out from under.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mod note: Quit it - any more an immediate bans.

Breezin wrote: »
    You sound pleased.

Yes I'm pleased that 2 people involved in a serious RTC are being treated in hospital and that our health service can deal with it because people are avoiding non essential journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes I'm pleased that 2 people involved in a serious RTC are being treated in hospital and that our health service can deal with it because people are avoiding non essential journeys.

Edit, apols, bit defensive after reading a load of anti bike ****e on FB lately, reading glasses firmly affixed now.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

bladespin wrote: »
    Do you know those involved, you seem quite sure it was non-essential, but I cant see that anywhere in the article?

You need to reread what he wrote.

Can you not leave out the judgemental part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

How do you know it wasnt essential travel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    How do you know it wasnt essential travel ?

That post seems to be getting lost in translation.
    I read it as all people traveling non essentially already putting the health services under pressure.

Wasn't aimed at the two bikers I think.

Let's hope the lad airlifted to hospital with serious injuries recovers ok.

Anyone come across severe hostility when stopped at a checkpoint ?
    Myself and my wife took my Harley tourer to do the shopping but we were stopped about 200 meters from our house at a checkpoint. The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

Unless the bike has ample carrier bag storage you can understand scepticism. I'd say if you were in the uniform you'd be the same.

listermint wrote: »
    Unless the bike has ample carrier bag storage you can understand scepticism. I'd say if you were in the uniform you'd be the same.

140 litres of storage ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

Well what were you wearing? His 'n' hers tassels and piss-pot lids :)

Anyone come across severe hostility when stopped at a checkpoint ?
    Myself and my wife took my Harley tourer to do the shopping but we were stopped about 200 meters from our house at a checkpoint. The Garda said we looked like we were just dressed up for a spin.

Don't forget that only 1 person is supposed to go to the shops, that could be the reason he was suspicious.

Like all people you meet someone in a bad mood or just ignorant sometimes. I'm in an essential industry so we all have letters and anytime I've been stopped, either going to/from work or bringing food to my parents, I've got through no bother. A co worker had to show their letter, the Garda read it, then asked for their work ID a 2nd time.

140 litres of storage ;)

That should do it. I wonder what the minimum acceptable is?

• Advertisement

Don't forget that only 1 person is supposed to go to the shops, that could be the reason he was suspicious.

This could well be the reason alright.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Like all people you meet someone in a bad mood or just ignorant sometimes. I'm in an essential industry so we all have letters and anytime I've been stopped, either going to/from work or bringing food to my parents, I've got through no bother. A co worker had to show their letter, the Garda read it, then asked for their work ID a 2nd time.

I wasn't aware that only one person was allowed into the shop from each household at a time. When I was in lidl with my wife recently there were couples and then families with kids.

Say I drove to the shop on the bike with her and she went in to do the shopping , would that be ok ?

I wasn't aware that only one person was allowed into the shop from each household at a time. When I was in lidl with my wife recently there were couples and then families with kids.

I don't think it's a legal thing. It's more an issue of 'best practice'. Having families with kids in a shop is irresponsible in my humble opinion. It's increasing everyone's chance of exposure.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Having families with kids in a shop is irresponsible in my humble opinion. It's increasing everyone's chance of exposure.

Lidl and a lot of other shops are literally playing lip service to the social distancing are allowing 2-3 kids (from what I've seen) into the store with the parents. Yet they discourage and even block couples going in together.

Lidl and a lot of other shops are literally playing lip service to the social distancing are allowing 2-3 kids (from what I've seen) into the store with the parents. Yet they discourage and even block couples going in together.

Lidl and aldi have been very poor tbh.

Tesco seem to be doin it right.

It's a voluntary thing not a legal thing. The shop can only allow a certain amount of people into the store and if a family of 5 arrives up they can't legally refuse them service but they now can't let 4 people into shop. Also the family make it impossible to get past them and maintain social distancing.

You'd think after being locked up together people would welcome the chance for a bit of space from the family by going to the shop alone.

• Advertisement

My bike needs some work done and the only shop that can do it is in Waterford at the moment. It's not driving so it'll need to be recovered down to there. I'm in Dublin, is this allowed at the moment ? It's essential as I need it to get to work.

I doubt it no, There are bike shops in dublin that could repair it. And you seem to have access to other bikes / modes of transport. Just favour your own bike.

Waterford is the end of the country. expect a heavy fine if caught as occured to the folks went from derry to cork to get a dog.

I doubt it no, There are bike shops in dublin that could repair it. And you seem to have access to other bikes / modes of transport. Just favour your own bike.

Waterford is the end of the country. expect a heavy fine if caught as occured to the folks went from derry to cork to get a dog.

Only vehicle I can drive on my own. I have a learner permit for a car. There isn't a shop in Dublin with the parts for it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What's wrong with it Devil?

H_Lime wrote: »
    What's wrong with it Devil?

Fuel leak from the quick disconnect fuel line. Looks like a rubber O-ring is gone. Its a 15c part but needs a mechanic to rebuild the connector. :(

I'm an essential worker for my company and this is my only form of transport. In hindsight a HD isn't what I should be relying on for my only bike.

• Advertisement

Only vehicle I can drive on my own. I have a learner permit for a car. There isn't a shop in Dublin with the parts for it at the moment.

Doesnt your missus have a bike you can use ?

And surely any Dublin shop can repair that, its not unique to HD.

Personally id bringing it to a Dublin shop Independent

And surely any Dublin shop can repair that, its not unique to HD.

Personally id bringing it to a Dublin shop Independent

I'm pretty sure it is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, problem solved. The shop is arranging return of the bike when the repair takes place so I dont have to go anywhere.

Good that the problem is resolved.

However, if the business is operating within the regs, and it's the only place that can provide the service, then I can't see a problem travelling there if it's necessary.

Good that the problem is resolved.

However, if the business is operating within the regs, and it's the only place that can provide the service, then I can't see a problem travelling there if it's necessary.

I was going to travel down in the van with the bike but that means sitting in a van with the driver. Then driving it back. So probably not allowed at the moment.

So the shop has kindly offered to bring it all the way back to me :)

I'm pretty sure it is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, problem solved. The shop is arranging return of the bike when the repair takes place so I dont have to go anywhere.

Sorry apologies i dont understand the rollseyes, Its an O ring on a fuel line, and you think Motorcycle Service centres cant fix that?

Grand ok, noted, il write that down.

Sorry apologies i dont understand the rollseyes, Its an O ring on a fuel line, and you think Motorcycle Service centres cant fix that?

Grand ok, noted, il write that down.

Sure they can fix it after they strip out the fuel pump and tank internals, then rebuild the quick disconnect which is not just a fuel line.

By all means let me know what shop has imperial shop tools and the correct rebuild parts for this particular bike and by all means I'll bring it to them. Of course the most important part is that they're HD certified for warranty work.

Thats the reason for the rolleyes.

Sure they can fix it after they strip out the fuel pump and tank internals, then rebuild the quick disconnect which is not just a fuel line.

By all means let me know what shop has imperial shop tools and the correct rebuild parts for this particular bike and by all means I'll bring it to them. Of course the most important part is that they're HD certified for warranty work.

Its a quick disconnect line you seem to think they are something they are not. All bikes have them. Ive removed mine a billion times tank on and off.

Yes ANY shop can do it. And dont be falling back on the HD certified stuff. Its an O Ring not a gearbox rebuild.
    Also half my socket set is imperial.

Have you ever serviced your own bikes before ??

Holding up well under the interrogation. :P

Also half my socket set is imperial.

Have you ever serviced your own bikes before ??

A lot of shops won't work with imperial. I've had two refuse to do it. One even said they would only service Japanese.

Holding up well under the interrogation. :P

No not interogation, he asked a question was given advice.

He doesnt know that most middle of the road toolsets have imperial tools in them.

Theres a dublin HD in dublin but im assuming there is history there? they could fix it.

There various independent shops in dublin that can replace an O Ring.

nothing interrogation about it, just answering the stuff as given.

(rollseyes)

• Advertisement
Advertisement