Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus voucher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We'll have to wait and see. But I hope that as they offered us vouchers without the Ts and Cs attached, if they do try to screw us they'll be on shaky legal ground.

Its Ryanair. And we are customers. Need I say more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its Ryanair. And we are customers. Need I say more :)

Yes you do.
    You need to say it's aer Lingus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Error report

By law, Aer Lingus MUST offer you a refund but they do not. I received an email with the details of my cancellation and the only optinos were to either reschedule or get a voucher + 10%. While I clicked on the voucher option, thinking that otherwise, I would lose out altogether, you have to select the checkbox to indicate that you are happy to receive a voucher in lieu of a refund - but there is no option not to, or to opt for a refund!
    This made me absolutely mad at Aer Lingus because Ryanair offered me a straight refund two weeks ago, no quibble.
    I spent 2 hours searching for the option to get a refund because getting a voucher doesn't suit me until I found it:

This app won't allow me to post a link - you can google "aer lingus disrupted flight refund form" to get to it.

We can only speculate why Aer Lingus don't offer a refund and make it so difficult to find the refund request. My personal guess is a combination of the following:
    1. Cash Flow - cash is better in the company's bank account than the customer's account. The company can reduce its third-party borrowing and its interest costs. I note that the company's accounts for 2018 show interest costs of €9,199,000.
    2. It is generally believed that oil prices will remain low for the foreseeable future. So even though the company will give you a 10% extra, it may benefit from much-decreased fuel price. I note that oil, fuel, landing and emission charges represent 18.9% of its income.
    3. We can only speculate but if the company increased their prices by, say, 15% on average, then there would be a 5% windfall to the company, the converse of which is - you would be losing out.

You must consider what is best in your situation. Remember that if you hold a voucher, you are an unsecured creditor. I applied for a 100% refund.

I ponder a question, is a short term gain more valuable than outraged customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

By law, Aer Lingus MUST offer you a refund but they do not. I received an email with the details of my cancellation and the only optinos were to either reschedule or get a voucher + 10%. While I clicked on the voucher option, thinking that otherwise, I would lose out altogether, you have to select the checkbox to indicate that you are happy to receive a voucher in lieu of a refund - but there is no option not to, or to opt for a refund!
    This made me absolutely mad at Aer Lingus because Ryanair offered me a straight refund two weeks ago, no quibble.
    I spent 2 hours searching for the option to get a refund because getting a voucher doesn't suit me until I found it:

This app won't allow me to post a link - you can google "aer lingus disrupted flight refund form" to get to it.

We can only speculate why Aer Lingus don't offer a refund and make it so difficult to find the refund request. My personal guess is a combination of the following:
    1. Cash Flow - cash is better in the company's bank account than the customer's account. The company can reduce its third-party borrowing and its interest costs. I note that the company's accounts for 2018 show interest costs of €9,199,000.
    2. It is generally believed that oil prices will remain low for the foreseeable future. So even though the company will give you a 10% extra, it may benefit from much-decreased fuel price. I note that oil, fuel, landing and emission charges represent 18.9% of its income.
    3. We can only speculate but if the company increased their prices by, say, 15% on average, then there would be a 5% windfall to the company, the converse of which is - you would be losing out.

You must consider what is best in your situation. Remember that if you hold a voucher, you are an unsecured creditor. I applied for a 100% refund.

I ponder a question, is a short term gain more valuable than outraged customers?

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/disrupted-flight-refund-form/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If they pay out too much then they won't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

If they pay out too much then they won't exist.

This is a business issue, if any business runs out of cash they go the banks, hedge funds, shareholders or the government.

Don't ask a random group of passengers to provide cash flow.

I bought a ticket to fly not a share in the company and Michael O'Leary or Willie Walsh don't need my subsidy.

I'm still waiting on a reply re my flight to AMS on the 13th March. That was the day they announced free changes and still as yet I have heard nothing!

Priority now is my April 17th flights to Glasgow which are 100% going to be cancelled but we have to wait it out. It's annoying but I can see what they're up to.
    Got an email last night from EI to say that I should apply for the voucher for the Match 13th flight so did that.

Happy enough with that, wait seems it wouldn't have been initially covered under the current system in any case at all.

Happy to wait out my GLA flights and get a refund.

Impressive turnaround there now with EI.

My AMS flight for March 13th was refunded via voucher +10%. Pretty happy with that as I was really only entitled to get taxes back as my flight did fly. The initial query I made was that I wanted to be able to do a change to October as I wasn't able to do so as they only introduced the "change fee waiver" on the morning of the 13th March.

They said it would be 10 days for the voucher to be issued. I'm assuming it's being posted? Seems weird. But all good with that one.

---

The GLA flight for next Friday and the return next Saturday were both cancelled yesterday and I have applied for just a straight cash refund for those. So now we play the waiting game on that.

---

Only BCN on June 3rd now to wait on. Dreading that one as knowing my luck they'll reinstate flights that week or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It isn’t just ‘short term gain’ though. It’s short term survival.

And you only have to look at all the people on here and elsewhere that fly with Ryanair a lot and complain about flying with Ryanair a lot to know that airlines, and all service providers really, understand that if their product is decent value, people will forgive and forget quickly enough

You might never fly with them again, but most people will just let it go. I think circumstances here will allow a bit more leeway than usual too

(And I’m not suggesting anyone shouldn’t seek a refund if that’s what they want)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

My situation is tricky. I was in the US when they suggested we get home asap. I had used the outbound, couldn't change the return online as there was a code-share involved. Had to buy a new flight home from a different airline.

I was offered a voucher but there was no indication as to whether it was the full cost of the outbound and return or just the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

All,
    I have a family holiday booked to Orlando June 1st. Total cost of flights was 2500. Don't think we will be going either way as the build up to it wont be the same for the kids. I rang Aer Lingus today and asked what options do i have. The response was i could change the flight but change fees will apply, 100 per person per leg. 800 in total!!!

What are the chances they will extend the May 31st deadline of no fees to change flights?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

My situation is tricky. I was in the US when they suggested we get home asap. I had used the outbound, couldn't change the return online as there was a code-share involved. Had to buy a new flight home from a different airline.

I was offered a voucher but there was no indication as to whether it was the full cost of the outbound and return or just the return.

have you messaged them? First thing to do is set up a case with them and they'll go through it.

Irishder wrote: »
    All,
    I have a family holiday booked to Orlando June 1st. Total cost of flights was 2500. Don't think we will be going either way as the build up to it wont be the same for the kids. I rang Aer Lingus today and asked what options do i have. The response was i could change the flight but change fees will apply, 100 per person per leg. 800 in total!!!

What are the chances they will extend the May 31st deadline of no fees to change flights?

Thanks.

It seems very likely.

Interesting you say tat. I have a flight to BCN on June 3rd that I can change for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Flights to Paris are still showing for sale on EI website.
    Yet, non-French nationals are not allowed into the country.

Heres my theory - they are not "cancelling" flights, so they do not have to give you a refund.
    How will you know if a flight actually operates?
    Do you believe whats on the website avaialbility?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

JTMan wrote: »
    Applied for a refund on 16 March.

Phoned Aer Lingus today (call answered straight away) and they said that the refund should be processed by the end of this week.

Almost a month for a refund (assuming I get it this week/next week), a process that should be automated if a flight is cancelled.

Still no refund which I was told I should have got by the end of last week. Going to chase Aer Lingus next week again. This is crazy how long it is taking to issue refunds. The refunds should be automatic in this day and age. Also, the law says 7 days. If Aer Lingus actually cared, they would be pulling staff from other sections, who are probably doing nothing right now, into processing refunds.

BTW, if anyone is not happy with a voucher, don't accept Aer Lingus trying to wiggle their way out of responsibility to give a refund. Ring them and if that doesn't work go to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

JTMan wrote: »
    Still no refund which I was told I should have got by the end of last week. Going to chase Aer Lingus next week again. This is crazy how long it is taking to issue refunds. The refunds should be automatic in this day and age. Also, the law says 7 days. If Aer Lingus actually cared, they would be pulling staff from other sections, who are probably doing nothing right now, into processing refunds.

BTW, if anyone is not happy with a voucher, don't accept Aer Lingus trying to wiggle their way out of responsibility to give a refund. Ring them and if that doesn't work go to the regulator.

I'm in the same situation as you, albeit a day behind (refund application made 17/03). One slight concern is that they've sent me the reschedule/voucher offer 2/3 times since I applied for the refund.

Have my refund case number so not too stressed about it, but I agree with others in that they certainly are not making it clear where customers are entitled to the refund.

My brother being a prime example, same route as I had booked and within a week of my booking - yet he didn't receive any links/info stating he's entitled to a refund.

Hope it's sorted soon, the lack of consistency is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Have you phoned Aer Lingus? If so, did they tell you when they would process your refund by?

Strange how I have not been offered a voucher but seems like everyone else has multiple times.

The Irish Aviation Regulator has made our rights clear on this page.

If I don't get as refund from Aer Lingus by next week, I will be lodging a complaint with the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

have you messaged them? First thing to do is set up a case with them and they'll go through it.

Yep case is pending since March 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've flights with them on April 30th, they offered me the voucher a few weeks back which I accepted since the flights weren't cancelled and there was little hope of being able to go anyway which turned out to be the case as of now.

However I haven't been given the voucher or any other correspondence since then. If the voucher arrives with T&Cs attached to it that don't suit I wonder am I in a position to dispute it and get a refund? If it arrives at all that is. My booking on their website is no longer valid so I can't even check flight status.

.G. wrote: »
    I've flights with them on April 30th, they offered me the voucher a few weeks back which I accepted since the flights weren't cancelled and there was little hope of being able to go anyway which turned out to be the case as of now.

However I haven't been given the voucher or any other correspondence since then. If the voucher arrives with T&Cs attached to it that don't suit I wonder am I in a position to dispute it and get a refund? If it arrives at all that is. My booking on their website is no longer valid so I can't even check flight status.

Are the flight's still scheduled or are they cancelled?

If they've been cancelled I would proceed and and apply for the refund tbh and forget about that previous correspondence..

I don't know the status of the flights. How can I check? The booking isn't valid anymore they cancelled it when I requested the voucher. Form the other thread it seems the voucher is valid for 5 years so if it arrives I'm happy enough with that.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    I don't know the status of the flights. How can I check? The booking isn't valid anymore they cancelled it when I requested the voucher. Form the other thread it seems the voucher is valid for 5 years so if it arrives I'm happy enough with that.

Ah well then, if they've been cancelled on your account it's just a case of waiting it out.

They said it would take 10 business days for my voucher to be processed.

I'm well past that. They said in a email on March 20th they'd send me a voucher and I'm still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

On their twitter feed they are answering people indicating it could be a while yet - they are still processing the voucher requests.

Its not just Aer Lingus, I have request in with BA too (same group I know) but this is taking just as long, so far.

This should really be done without the need for a human involvement...

Are they posting the vouchers out?

That seemed dto be the indication that I got from my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

thebiglad wrote: »
    On their twitter feed they are answering people indicating it could be a while yet - they are still processing the voucher requests.

Its not just Aer Lingus, I have request in with BA too (same group I know) but this is taking just as long, so far.

This should really be done without the need for a human involvement...

We have a refund due from BA since March 16th. When we queried it recently they said that as refunds protested in India and they were on a complete lockdown, there would be further delays

Dodge wrote: »
    We have a refund due from BA since March 16th. When we queried it recently they said that as refunds protested in India and they were on a complete lockdown, there would be further delays

Oh dear, I guess I can give up on that voucher for a while then!

Strangely honest of BA though.

Aer Lingus voucher for AMS trip on 13th March just landed in my inbox. Second email came after with a PIN.

Aer Lingus voucher for AMS trip on 13th March just landed in my inbox. Second email came after with a PIN.

What date did you apply for the voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Can you paste a copy of the conditions from the email?

• Advertisement

thebiglad wrote: »
    What date did you apply for the voucher?

Whole process started on March 11th
    paddy19 wrote: »
    Can you paste a copy of the conditions from the email?
    Terms and Conditions
    Vouchers purchased online can only be redeemed at aerlingus.com in respect of flights operated by Aer Lingus and cannot be redeemed for bookings that involve travel on flights operated by partnership airlines. Vouchers purchased online cannot be redeemed through the Aer Lingus reservation offices, at airport ticket counters or at travel agents.

Vouchers are not subject to an expiry date.

Vouchers purchased online can have a delayed delivery date for recipient electronic email voucher. Delivery date can be set up to a maximum of 3 months from purchase date.

Vouchers can only be redeemed on aerlingus.com against the cost of Aer Lingus flights (including fares, taxes, charges and selected fees).

Vouchers are issued in amounts as specified at time of purchase in the following currencies: EUR, GBP, USD.

Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.

Vouchers are available in the following denominations - 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450 and 500.

In order to redeem a voucher the person whose name is on the voucher must be a member of the party being booked. Vouchers are transferable and this can be done via the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on aerlingus.com. First name, surname, e-mail address and delivery date can be changed; all other items remain as per the original voucher.

Vouchers cannot be redeemed as part of Aer Club Travel Reward bookings.
    Bag fees / Advance Seat Selection fees / Lounge Access fees may be paid for with vouchers provided they are pre-booked at the same time as the purchase of the flight(s). Vouchers cannot be used in respect of these fees if they are booked subsequently through the Manage Booking facility.

Vouchers may not be used for other products (e.g. car hire, hotels, travel insurance).

Vouchers are not refundable.

Vouchers will not be redeemed or exchanged for cash.

Vouchers are void if altered or obtained fraudulently
    Aer Lingus reserves the right to cancel bookings or request alternate forms of payment if a fraudulently or improperly obtained voucher is redeemed at aerlingus.com.

If the ticket price is greater than the value of the voucher, the difference may be paid with a credit card.

Any credit remaining following redemption of the voucher may be used towards future flight purchases.

Vouchers cannot be offset against bookings which have already been made.

Vouchers cannot be applied towards change fees, or additional fare for reissued or partially used tickets.

Vouchers may not be used towards the purchase of food or beverages on board.

Vouchers cannot be used to make or confirm a Price Lock or Deposit booking.

Please note this is an informative email only, and replies to this email will fail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement