Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus voucher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Will the voucher be issued via email? I received an email on 23rd March saying they would issue voucher plus 10 % but I have received nothing from them since. Has anyone received their voucher yet?

I do appreciate the fact that they are extremely busy, but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Will the voucher be issued via email? I received an email on 23rd March saying they would issue voucher plus 10 % but I have received nothing from them since. Has anyone received their voucher yet?

I do appreciate the fact that they are extremely busy, but I'm just curious.

I received the same email on 24th March but no voucher yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,272 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

When are flights being cancelled? A day or two from departure or longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

6 wrote: »
    When are flights being cancelled? A day or two from departure or longer?
    I'd like to know this too!

We have 3 seats booked next Tuesday evening from Berlin to Dublin.

Aer Lingus are clearly only flying the morning flight and only every second day (I've been checking each day) so I'm pretty sure our flight will indeed be cancelled but I'm concerned that they have not done so yet (check in is still available).

I'm quite sure this is a game of chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Voucher requested on the 23rd of March for the sum of 520 euro.

Got the email saying it will be processed and nothing more i need to do but nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭xlogo

murphaph wrote:
    Aer Lingus are clearly only flying the morning flight and only every second day (I've been checking each day) so I'm pretty sure our flight will indeed be cancelled but I'm concerned that they have not done so yet (check in is still available).

How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

xlogo wrote: »
    How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher.

All flights to/from Spain from 22nd March to the 30th April are cancelled. You should have gotten an email from aer lingus starting this. Here’s the snippet from mine:
    Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April.

I applied for a refund straight after getting this email on the 17th March and haven’t received update as of yet, 10-15 working days they’ve said.

xlogo wrote: »
    I'm just using the website:
    https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=3

It shows yesterday, today and tomorrow.

All flights to/from Spain from 22nd March to the 30th April are cancelled. You should have gotten an email from aer lingus starting this. Here’s the snippet from mine:

I applied for a refund straight after getting this email on the 17th March and haven’t received update as of yet, 10-15 working days they’ve said.

Cheers - but mine isn't - I can still check-in via the app for a flight on April 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

"How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher. "

Just try booking your flight as normal as a new customer, it will probably show up as:

"No flights on this day. There are no flights on your selected date.
    Please choose an alternative date or for seasonal routes, see our timetable."

Your flight will still look normal on my trip page.
    The seasonal routes timetable is incorrect too.

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote:
    Just try booking your flight as normal as a new customer, it will probably show up as:

paddy19 wrote:
    "No flights on this day. There are no flights on your selected date. Please choose an alternative date or for seasonal routes, see our timetable."

Cheers - I tried that earlier and it says the flight is sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Up to 4 weeks aer Lingus have said for vouchers to be dealt with.
    I'm assuming refunds will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

my father had to cancel flights last summer due to a medical emergency and 2 week hospitalisation and it has been a year long nightmare trying to sort out getting the voucher and the terms & conditions for it. After dealing with how their CS staff treated him and my elderly mother I would not recommend anyone to take the voucher.One of their sly tricks -apart from ghe lengthy ques to talk to a human and then after 50 minute waits ‘call dropped’ and this going on 8 or 10 different occasions. We now seem to have a flights voucher for two people one of whom will never be well enough to travel again and Aer Mingus are insisting that both named on the original ticket use it and for use on only one flight.It is for 1,600 euro. I wouldn’t advise anyone to accept a voucher from this company Aer Lingus -exploiting circumstances and documented illness and elderly loyal customers and throwing them to their jaded customer disservice hyenas.Aer Lungus have been a total nightmare to deal with & extremely upsetting to see the distain they treat their customers with.Don’t accept any Aer Lingus vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

blade1 wrote: »
    Up to 4 weeks aer Lingus have said for vouchers to be dealt with.
    I'm assuming refunds will be similar.

Legally Aer Lingus are supposed to do refunds inside 7 days. I know we are in exceptional circumstances, but if Aer Lingus were anyway decent they would email customers and apologise for the delay and give a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too!

We have 3 seats booked next Tuesday evening from Berlin to Dublin.

I'm quite sure this is a game of chicken.

A health-working colleague flew from Manchester to Dublin this week (don't know the airline) and was one of four passengers on a 180-seat plane. Armed with this knowledge and only 3 days left I chickened out yesterday. I just hope prices don't skyrocket in future, or routes disappear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A health-working colleague flew from Manchester to Dublin this week (don't know the airline) and was one of four passengers on a 180-seat plane. Armed with this knowledge and only 3 days left I chickened out yesterday. I just hope prices don't skyrocket in future, or routes disappear now.

this is why we are all trapped in our houses & the elderly living in fear & lockdown. I don’t understand how the airports for tourism & work traffic are not shut down .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

this is why we are all trapped in our houses & the elderly living in fear & lockdown. I don’t understand how the airports for tourism & work traffic are not shut down .

I'd be more worried about people in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Another email from them this morning asking me to choose a voucher or choose different dates, at this point I doubt I’ll see my refund any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

Just got an email today for a flight to Miami to take place on Tuesday. Didnt offer a refund but applied on the form on their website anyway. Dont really have much use for the voucher or a changed flight since it was originally for a cruise.

Aer Mingus are insisting that both named on the original ticket use it and for use on only one flight.It is for 1,600 euro.

Did you get got something special as a goodwill gesture with very restrictive T & Cs?

Standard voucher Terms and conditions allow change of name.. Vouchers are transferable and this can be done via the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on aerlingusvouchers.com.

https://www.aerlingus.com/localized/en/modals/voucher-terms.html

The voucher on offer for Covid are more restrictive than standard vouchers.

Who can avail of a voucher?

The voucher offer is available for guests with bookings made on aerlingus.com and due to travel on flights between 21 March and 31 May and on cancelled flights.

Can the voucher be redeemed across multiple bookings?

Any credit remaining following redemption of the voucher may be used within the original validity period towards future flight purchases.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/voucher-refund-request-form

Beware of vouchers, they are way more restrictive than good old hard cash.

• Advertisement

Evilcamper wrote: »
    Just got an email today for a flight to Miami to take place on Tuesday. Didnt offer a refund but applied on the form on their website anyway. Dont really have much use for the voucher or a changed flight since it was originally for a cruise.
    What did the email say? The usual change booking or apply for voucher one?

I fear Are Lingus would allow us to turn up at the airport on Tuesday evening to find the flight cancelled and offer to put us up for a night in a hotel before sticking us on the Wednesday morning flight which looks like it will go (morning flight every second day is happening). In this scenario we'd be entitled to no refund as the airline is allowed to reroute and offer hotel accommodation instead. We can't fly though so we'll be cornered into applying for the voucher at the last minute I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

What did the email say? The usual change booking or apply for voucher one?
    The usual email, I just went on their page and followed the refund link on the @What should I do if my flight was cancelled" link

I fear Are Lingus would allow us to turn up at the airport on Tuesday evening to find the flight cancelled and offer to put us up for a night in a hotel before sticking us on the Wednesday morning flight which looks like it will go (morning flight every second day is happening). In this scenario we'd be entitled to no refund as the airline is allowed to reroute and offer hotel accommodation instead. We can't fly though so we'll be cornered into applying for the voucher at the last minute I suppose.

If they fly on time you will get nothing. It's an insurance claim which may or maybe not cover Covid.

If the flight is delayed you may be entitled to EU261 but Covid sounds like one of the excluded "extraordinary circumstances".

Why not change you flight to a date that they are likely to cancel?

If they don't fly you are due a full refund.

paddy19 wrote: »
    If they fly on time you will get nothing. It's an insurance claim which may or maybe not cover Covid.

If the flight is delayed you may be entitled to EU261 but Covid sounds like one of the excluded "extraordinary circumstances".

Why not change you flight to a date that they are likely to cancel?

If they don't fly you are due a full refund.
    So I am pretty sure our actual flight will be cancelled but they will fly the following morning and afaik if they offer you a hotel room and the rebooking then you have no right to a refund. They are flying every second day.

I think we'll either take the voucher or rebook now for Xmas while the prices are comparable. I suspect enough airlines will either go bust or shrink drastically that competition will be significantly reduced and flying will become more expensive generally.

Just hope that Aer Lingus are still around and that this virus business is sorted by then. Neither of which is guaranteed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be VERY careful with their vouchers.

Tried to use one once to get home when stranded by another airline in Poland and they would not let me use it to 'pay' in zlotys, even though they already had more than the equivalent money in their account from the purchase of the voucher.

They have some very odd rules regarding the redemption of vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

spurious wrote: »
    Be VERY careful with their vouchers.

Tried to use one once to get home when stranded by another airline in Poland and they would not let me use it to 'pay' in zlotys, even though they already had more than the equivalent money in their account from the purchase of the voucher.

They have some very odd rules regarding the redemption of vouchers.

Got caught with this before and had to use a VPN to be able to use the voucher.
    Sneaky feckers.

Got caught with this before and had to use a VPN to be able to use the voucher.
    Sneaky feckers.
    I have heard of refusing to accept a voucher in Canadian dollars for a flight in the USA.

I think it's more old legacy computer systems than deliberate messing around.

But that said, it's not a priority to get it fixed either.

They have it in the dreaded terms and conditions.

Vouchers are issued in amounts as specified at time of purchase in the following currencies: EUR, GBP, USD.
    Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Due to fly to Verona on the 14th of April.
    Still only offered voucher or to reschedule no refund.
    Bizarrely check in is now available for the flight over and back!

• Advertisement

Got a mail to say my flights were cancelled - does anyone know if I get a refund automatically or do I need to apply - the mail only repeated the options of reschedule or voucher being available and not what to do for a refund.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement