Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus voucher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Applied for a refund 8 days, got the email their processing it but no voucher yet.

Anyone else waited this long? Its US and for 520 dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Flight isnt cancelled to America, any chance of a refund? Did anyone get one instead of a voucher or through a TA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Applied for a refund 8 days, got the email their processing it but no voucher yet.

Anyone else waited this long? Its US and for 520 dollars.
    I applied on 17/3, got the confirmation email, but no refund yet (Europe, a lot less than that)

To be honest, with basically the entire world's fleet grounded so no income, I honestly can't see how everyone can get a refund.....

I got an email into my spam folder this morning though - someone is jumping on the bandwagon of anxious (non-)flyers :mad: - beware!! I'm sure they're banking on a few anxious customers clicking on the link......
    Dear customer,

It's time to celebrate!
    We're delighted to announce that we've reached our silver anniversary. 25 years ago, we sold our first ticket - and we haven't stopped since then! It's been an amazing time for us, and we're so pleased to start our celebrations off with a bang!

To mark these 25 years, we're inviting you to an exclusive celebration. A lucky few of our loyal customers will receive this special link.
    Follow it and, for just 10 Eur, you'll be able to download our anniversary voucher.

This voucher is valid for a full year, and can be used to book a pair of flight tickets to a destination of your choice.
    You and your loved one can enjoy a holiday anywhere in the world.
    Whether you're snuggling up in a log cabin after a day on the slopes, or sipping piña coladas on an exotic beach, just make sure to raise a glass to our anniversary!

(followed by a link, which I obv haven't included)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Flying to Orlando on June 1st, Did anyone get any communications for a flight that far out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Irishder wrote: »
    Flying to Orlando on June 1st, Did anyone get any communications for a flight that far out?

I'd say they're far too busy dealing with what's in front of them.

I'd also guess there's very little chance of you flyingon that date - but you won't hear about that until much nearer the time. That's just my gut feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We have a flight on the 7th of April (so a week tomorrow) from Berlin to Dublin and back 2 weeks later. It is about €600 worth.

We have just had the email offering flight change or voucher but the flight still shows as ready for check in.

Clearly we can't go. I won't risk bringing the virus to my elderly mother who is socially isolating.

Does anyone know if this flight is likely to depart? I know Ryanair published a list of a handful of key routes that would continue to be flown and the DUB-BER route was on that list but I've seen nothing similar for Aer Lingus.

If I knew the flights were likely to depart I would apply for the voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

they emailed me on the 26th March to tell me my return flight home from US on 18 March wasnt operating and offered me a refund or the voucher craic, asked for the refund

as far as theyre aware im stuck in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

Due to fly from Cork to Bristol on Thursday. I didn't get an email yet to say that my flight has been cancelled but when i go to manage my flight it says
    'We're sorry but it is not possible to manage this booking. Please contact our helpdesk.'
    Do I need to apply for a refund or will it be automatically processed once the flight is cancelled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Regarding the vouchers... I applied for mine 2-3 weeks ago. As I didn’t revive a confirmation email or anything and was still getting the check in emails from them I rang and got through the day before flight was due to leave. The representative told me that they have been really crazy busy (which I can only imagine) and that a
    Couple weeks ago there were no confirmation emails going out at all. But so long as when you applied for the voucher and the screen said successfully submitted you’re fine. I actually always take a screen shot at this part for proof so I have my proof. She was very nice and said the vouchers could take weeks to come through but to try not worried as things are just taking a long time to be processed at the minute.

I then got an email from aerlingus last Wednesday: (this was 2 weeks after applying for voucher.

Thank you for your
    voucher request

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your voucher request. Your booking has been cancelled and you do not need to take any further action.

Your Aer Lingus voucher - plus 10% - will be sent to you shortly. Due to the large number of people changing their travel plans, there may be a slight delay.

We’ll be sending one voucher per booking so the person who made the booking will receive the voucher.

Vouchers are issued for flights booked via aerlingus.com only. If you made your booking via a travel agent, please contact your agent who’ll help you with changing your flight.

We look forward to welcoming you on board – when it works for you.

The Aer Lingus team

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

JTMan wrote: »
    How long do Aer Lingus take to process refunds? I requested a refund over 2 weeks ago.

What is the best way to chase Aer Lingus on this if needed?

Thanks.

They told me on Twitter it takes 10-15 working days. which is funny because on the 7th march I cancelled a flight going to AMS leaving on the 10th March, by the 11th March I had an email stating the refund was processed. On the 17th March I cancelled a flight going to AGP leaving on the 13th April, and having gotten anything back other than the case reference number email.

I'll give it the full 15 working days before contacting again, their staff are probably working their asses off and dealing with the dregs of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Will the voucher be issued via email? I received an email on 23rd March saying they would issue voucher plus 10 % but I have received nothing from them since. Has anyone received their voucher yet?

I do appreciate the fact that they are extremely busy, but I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Will the voucher be issued via email? I received an email on 23rd March saying they would issue voucher plus 10 % but I have received nothing from them since. Has anyone received their voucher yet?

I do appreciate the fact that they are extremely busy, but I'm just curious.

I received the same email on 24th March but no voucher yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

When are flights being cancelled? A day or two from departure or longer?

6 wrote: »
    When are flights being cancelled? A day or two from departure or longer?
    I'd like to know this too!

We have 3 seats booked next Tuesday evening from Berlin to Dublin.

Aer Lingus are clearly only flying the morning flight and only every second day (I've been checking each day) so I'm pretty sure our flight will indeed be cancelled but I'm concerned that they have not done so yet (check in is still available).

I'm quite sure this is a game of chicken.

Voucher requested on the 23rd of March for the sum of 520 euro.

Got the email saying it will be processed and nothing more i need to do but nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

murphaph wrote:
    Aer Lingus are clearly only flying the morning flight and only every second day (I've been checking each day) so I'm pretty sure our flight will indeed be cancelled but I'm concerned that they have not done so yet (check in is still available).

How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher.

xlogo wrote: »
    How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher.

All flights to/from Spain from 22nd March to the 30th April are cancelled. You should have gotten an email from aer lingus starting this. Here’s the snippet from mine:
    Dear Guest,
    In response to recent travel restrictions announced by the Spanish Government and updated travel advice from the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs, we have cancelled all Aer Lingus flights between Ireland and Spain from 22 March to 30 April.

I applied for a refund straight after getting this email on the 17th March and haven’t received update as of yet, 10-15 working days they’ve said.

xlogo wrote: »
    I'm just using the website:
    https://www.aerlingus.com/html/trip-mgmt.html#?select=3

It shows yesterday, today and tomorrow.

All flights to/from Spain from 22nd March to the 30th April are cancelled. You should have gotten an email from aer lingus starting this. Here’s the snippet from mine:

I applied for a refund straight after getting this email on the 17th March and haven’t received update as of yet, 10-15 working days they’ve said.

Cheers - but mine isn't - I can still check-in via the app for a flight on April 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

"How are you checking what flights are going or not. I've flights booked for mid April to Spain and I'm waiting for them to cancel rather than get the voucher. "

Just try booking your flight as normal as a new customer, it will probably show up as:

"No flights on this day. There are no flights on your selected date.
    Please choose an alternative date or for seasonal routes, see our timetable."

Your flight will still look normal on my trip page.
    The seasonal routes timetable is incorrect too.

• Advertisement

paddy19 wrote:
    Just try booking your flight as normal as a new customer, it will probably show up as:

paddy19 wrote:
    "No flights on this day. There are no flights on your selected date. Please choose an alternative date or for seasonal routes, see our timetable."

Cheers - I tried that earlier and it says the flight is sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Up to 4 weeks aer Lingus have said for vouchers to be dealt with.
    I'm assuming refunds will be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

my father had to cancel flights last summer due to a medical emergency and 2 week hospitalisation and it has been a year long nightmare trying to sort out getting the voucher and the terms & conditions for it. After dealing with how their CS staff treated him and my elderly mother I would not recommend anyone to take the voucher.One of their sly tricks -apart from ghe lengthy ques to talk to a human and then after 50 minute waits ‘call dropped’ and this going on 8 or 10 different occasions. We now seem to have a flights voucher for two people one of whom will never be well enough to travel again and Aer Mingus are insisting that both named on the original ticket use it and for use on only one flight.It is for 1,600 euro. I wouldn’t advise anyone to accept a voucher from this company Aer Lingus -exploiting circumstances and documented illness and elderly loyal customers and throwing them to their jaded customer disservice hyenas.Aer Lungus have been a total nightmare to deal with & extremely upsetting to see the distain they treat their customers with.Don’t accept any Aer Lingus vouchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

blade1 wrote: »
    Up to 4 weeks aer Lingus have said for vouchers to be dealt with.
    I'm assuming refunds will be similar.

Legally Aer Lingus are supposed to do refunds inside 7 days. I know we are in exceptional circumstances, but if Aer Lingus were anyway decent they would email customers and apologise for the delay and give a timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too!

We have 3 seats booked next Tuesday evening from Berlin to Dublin.

I'm quite sure this is a game of chicken.

A health-working colleague flew from Manchester to Dublin this week (don't know the airline) and was one of four passengers on a 180-seat plane. Armed with this knowledge and only 3 days left I chickened out yesterday. I just hope prices don't skyrocket in future, or routes disappear now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A health-working colleague flew from Manchester to Dublin this week (don't know the airline) and was one of four passengers on a 180-seat plane. Armed with this knowledge and only 3 days left I chickened out yesterday. I just hope prices don't skyrocket in future, or routes disappear now.

this is why we are all trapped in our houses & the elderly living in fear & lockdown. I don’t understand how the airports for tourism & work traffic are not shut down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

this is why we are all trapped in our houses & the elderly living in fear & lockdown. I don’t understand how the airports for tourism & work traffic are not shut down .

I'd be more worried about people in supermarkets.

Another email from them this morning asking me to choose a voucher or choose different dates, at this point I doubt I’ll see my refund any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

Just got an email today for a flight to Miami to take place on Tuesday. Didnt offer a refund but applied on the form on their website anyway. Dont really have much use for the voucher or a changed flight since it was originally for a cruise.

Aer Mingus are insisting that both named on the original ticket use it and for use on only one flight.It is for 1,600 euro.

Did you get got something special as a goodwill gesture with very restrictive T & Cs?

Standard voucher Terms and conditions allow change of name.. Vouchers are transferable and this can be done via the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on aerlingusvouchers.com.

https://www.aerlingus.com/localized/en/modals/voucher-terms.html

The voucher on offer for Covid are more restrictive than standard vouchers.

Who can avail of a voucher?

The voucher offer is available for guests with bookings made on aerlingus.com and due to travel on flights between 21 March and 31 May and on cancelled flights.

Can the voucher be redeemed across multiple bookings?

Any credit remaining following redemption of the voucher may be used within the original validity period towards future flight purchases.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/voucher-refund-request-form

Beware of vouchers, they are way more restrictive than good old hard cash.

• Advertisement

Evilcamper wrote: »
    Just got an email today for a flight to Miami to take place on Tuesday. Didnt offer a refund but applied on the form on their website anyway. Dont really have much use for the voucher or a changed flight since it was originally for a cruise.
    What did the email say? The usual change booking or apply for voucher one?

I fear Are Lingus would allow us to turn up at the airport on Tuesday evening to find the flight cancelled and offer to put us up for a night in a hotel before sticking us on the Wednesday morning flight which looks like it will go (morning flight every second day is happening). In this scenario we'd be entitled to no refund as the airline is allowed to reroute and offer hotel accommodation instead. We can't fly though so we'll be cornered into applying for the voucher at the last minute I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

What did the email say? The usual change booking or apply for voucher one?
    The usual email, I just went on their page and followed the refund link on the @What should I do if my flight was cancelled" link

I fear Are Lingus would allow us to turn up at the airport on Tuesday evening to find the flight cancelled and offer to put us up for a night in a hotel before sticking us on the Wednesday morning flight which looks like it will go (morning flight every second day is happening). In this scenario we'd be entitled to no refund as the airline is allowed to reroute and offer hotel accommodation instead. We can't fly though so we'll be cornered into applying for the voucher at the last minute I suppose.

If they fly on time you will get nothing. It's an insurance claim which may or maybe not cover Covid.

If the flight is delayed you may be entitled to EU261 but Covid sounds like one of the excluded "extraordinary circumstances".

Why not change you flight to a date that they are likely to cancel?

If they don't fly you are due a full refund.

paddy19 wrote: »
    If they fly on time you will get nothing. It's an insurance claim which may or maybe not cover Covid.

If the flight is delayed you may be entitled to EU261 but Covid sounds like one of the excluded "extraordinary circumstances".

Why not change you flight to a date that they are likely to cancel?

If they don't fly you are due a full refund.
    So I am pretty sure our actual flight will be cancelled but they will fly the following morning and afaik if they offer you a hotel room and the rebooking then you have no right to a refund. They are flying every second day.

I think we'll either take the voucher or rebook now for Xmas while the prices are comparable. I suspect enough airlines will either go bust or shrink drastically that competition will be significantly reduced and flying will become more expensive generally.

Just hope that Aer Lingus are still around and that this virus business is sorted by then. Neither of which is guaranteed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be VERY careful with their vouchers.

Tried to use one once to get home when stranded by another airline in Poland and they would not let me use it to 'pay' in zlotys, even though they already had more than the equivalent money in their account from the purchase of the voucher.

They have some very odd rules regarding the redemption of vouchers.

spurious wrote: »
    Be VERY careful with their vouchers.

Tried to use one once to get home when stranded by another airline in Poland and they would not let me use it to 'pay' in zlotys, even though they already had more than the equivalent money in their account from the purchase of the voucher.

They have some very odd rules regarding the redemption of vouchers.

Got caught with this before and had to use a VPN to be able to use the voucher.
    Sneaky feckers.

Got caught with this before and had to use a VPN to be able to use the voucher.
    Sneaky feckers.
    I have heard of refusing to accept a voucher in Canadian dollars for a flight in the USA.

I think it's more old legacy computer systems than deliberate messing around.

But that said, it's not a priority to get it fixed either.

They have it in the dreaded terms and conditions.

Vouchers are issued in amounts as specified at time of purchase in the following currencies: EUR, GBP, USD.
    Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Due to fly to Verona on the 14th of April.
    Still only offered voucher or to reschedule no refund.
    Bizarrely check in is now available for the flight over and back!

• Advertisement

Got a mail to say my flights were cancelled - does anyone know if I get a refund automatically or do I need to apply - the mail only repeated the options of reschedule or voucher being available and not what to do for a refund.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

When were you due to fly? Had to call them about my flights tomorrow -8th, they acknowledged the cancellation and offered escalation to refund. Up to 30 days before the costs will be returned.

Tazium wrote:
    When were you due to fly? Had to call them about my flights tomorrow -8th, they acknowledged the cancellation and offered escalation to refund. Up to 30 days before the costs will be returned.

April 15th to Spain - I'm just not sure if the refund will happen automatically.

I haven't seen a word from any airline that they will refund automatically refund and I'm betting you won't.

Why would they?

They want to keep your money! They have already flown lots of nearly empty planes. They don't care if you fly or don't turn up.

They would rather you give them an interest free loan (Aer Lingus will give you 10%) with lots of terms and conditions that favour the airline.

It takes about 5 minutes to complete the refund form.

Get your money back folks.

If you are brave enough to invest in an airline buy some shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They told me on Twitter it takes 10-15 working days. which is funny because on the 7th march I cancelled a flight going to AMS leaving on the 10th March, by the 11th March I had an email stating the refund was processed. On the 17th March I cancelled a flight going to AGP leaving on the 13th April, and having gotten anything back other than the case reference number email.

I'll give it the full 15 working days before contacting again, their staff are probably working their asses off and dealing with the dregs of society.

I'm still waiting on a reply re my flight to AMS on the 13th March. That was the day they announced free changes and still as yet I have heard nothing!

Priority now is my April 17th flights to Glasgow which are 100% going to be cancelled but we have to wait it out. It's annoying but I can see what they're up to.

I'm still waiting since Paddys day for a voucher for 520 quid.

Flight ended up been cancelled in the end so wish i went for the refund instead.

Going into the fourth week waiting on a voucher is bloody ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

In fairness they have crazy amounts to process. When was your flight supposed to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Applied for a refund on 16 March.

Phoned Aer Lingus today (call answered straight away) and they said that the refund should be processed by the end of this week.

Almost a month for a refund (assuming I get it this week/next week), a process that should be automated if a flight is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

JTMan wrote: »
    Applied for a refund on 16 March.

Phoned Aer Lingus today (call answered straight away) and they said that the refund should be processed by the end of this week.

Almost a month for a refund (assuming I get it this week/next week), a process that should be automated if a flight is cancelled.

Yeah, the money leaves your card straight away it should do the opposite if its cancelled.

Yeah, the money leaves your card straight away it should do the opposite if its cancelled.
    Passengers have three options:

1. Rebook to a new date.

2. Take a voucher with lots of conditions.

3. Get a refund.

So when a flight is cancelled the airline needs to establish what a passenger wants.

What is not in dispute is you should (per good old EU ) get your refund within 7 days of the flight.

Airlines are not flying much any more so there should be lots of folks available to process refunds!

This is where the regulator needs to crack the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Hi folks

Due to travel to Barcelona on the 25th of May. Email this morning, only option is to change date( pay difference in fare) until the 31st of August. Obviously no one will be flying into Spain then. Just wondering am I better off holding off to see if they cancel it, or can they just not fly but not let you know its cancelled and therefore dont have to offer a refund.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement