Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No the Government they were going to introduce it up there. But their argument will be entirely shot down due to booze tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Its a nanny state tax nothing more, we were already the most expensive in europe for alcohol now its just crazy it doubled in price overnight and it does not work it failed in scotland and will fail here, but the greedy goverment will not do the right thing and reverse it as its a massive cash cow now same as gatso speed vans a money trap for them. They also made beer much weaker and killed the taste absolute disgrace also made the cans smaller some are now 440 ml they never existed here was always 500ml cans. jesus we are been seriously fleeced on this we should be marching on the streets

Well said ireland is the nanny state capital of the world and also the most expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I get that 15 or 20 quid for a slab needed to be tackled

But they shat on is. Took the piss. 30quid for a slab would be fine and i like others would keep our money local.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In Scotland you can buy booze from Amazon to avoid MUP, meaning MUP there is effectively just a high street tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

MUP has been discussed for over a decade.

This thread is over 6 years old.

But every now and then along comes a poster with a rant without having a clue what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No they got it right but you just continue to refuse to accept the reality of MUP, that its original reasoning being to benefit vintners, its flawed "new" reasoning and goals and that it is by all metrics an abject failure of a policy no to mention that our consumption was already dropping to begin with for the last 20 years so the entire idea that we were a country awash with drink was absolute sh1te.

My point is it's not a tax, like that poster is claiming.

It's not a "massive cash cow now same as gatso speed vans".

The only thing the government get from MUP is the VAT on the increased price of some alcohol.

And the speed vans are not a massive cash cow.

The post is just a typical stupid uninformed rant against government, any government that is common around here.

What metrics do you have to show it has been an abject failure?

I don't have any metrics to prove anything but I know this for sure, the end of dry January came and went without outrage as was predicted here, St Patrick's day came and went without outrage as was predicted here, Easter came and went without outrage as predicted here, the summer bbq season came and went without outrage as was predicted here, Christmas came and went without outrage as was predicted here.

People really don't care.

Nanny state tax that nobody is in favour of who wants to pay double for there beer and 4 times what it costs in other eu countries. Its a failure same as scotland thats a fact

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The problem now is that even if it was supposed to benefit the vintners the vintners are now pricing themselves out of the market that even the increased prices due to MUP look a lot more appetising than spending a night in a pub.

I was in a couple of pubs over Xmas and the cheapest pint of Coors was €6.70 - a year ago it was around €4.90 - those €40 slabs look a lot better value now with pint prices like these. It would put you off going out for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some care including yourself who drops in regularly to comment.

It is true that a lot of people think MUP is a tax.

The effect is similar to a tax in that the Government passed a law to take money out of drinkers pockets.

In my experience when you explain that the money actually goes to the drinks trade most people can't get their heads around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Good rant but I don't think you understand where the money is going.

Nothing to do with greedy government and everything to do with naive,easily led,lobbied,looking to do the right thing government.

Profits are going directly to supermarkets/off licenses and indirectly to publicans and the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

There were some on here predicting outrage,you are correct there.

I never did though,I thought it would play out pretty much as it has.Paddy (I include myself in this for clarity) takes it up the hole,whines about it,resents it and does nothing about it.

It's the modern Irish way,it can be applied to a lot more serious and sinister stuff happening in the country right now than MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

It's not a "massive cash cow now same as gatso speed vans".

It is a massive cash cow, just not to the State, mores the pity. The brewers, distributors and retailers are doing quite nicely out of MUP, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We have the cost of recycling the can/bottle to be added to it in the future as well. We cant be trusted to use our green bins for cans or bottle banks.

This nanny state is sickening its worse then north korea ban or tax everything to the hilt is there only answer to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS

for the zillionth time it's not a tax, the retailers and producers get the money.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Some care including yourself who drops in regularly to comment.

I don't care about MUP, I spend so little on alcohol it doesn't affect me.

I drop in here the odd time to have a laugh at the rants about it being a tax, or about it being North Korea, or the posts telling us to "just wait until such and such", or the plans being drawn up to boycott the VFI and LVI just to show them that we mean business etc etc.

I think people don't care about MUP because in real terms the price of alcohol is as low as it's ever been and as a society we are evolving our relationship with booze and the price of alcohol is not the weathervane it used to be.

Go into a pub (if you're not boycotting the VFI or LVI) and you might see an old framed picture of "The price of the pint" that charts the increased price of the pint over the decades.

But it stops around the mid 1990s, because that's around the same time we became prosperous and stopped worrying about the price of the pint.

Now I know that people will counter and say why the need for MUP if our relationship with alcohol is evolving, well that might be the case but alcohol is still a big problem here.

And as I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of MUP, I prefer more focus on advertising restrictions, need to stop the alcohol companies embedding there brands subconsciously in young developing brains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It sure feels like a tax... but it's worse than that.

Some politicians are in on it, using your money to curry favour / buy votes from rent seekers (such as publicans) while demonising home drinkers into the process!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I must say it's very generous of you to not mind making an involuntary contribution to the drinks industry every time you purchase what little you drink.

I can't find it in myself to be so generous. I resent every cent of the MUP levy that I pay.

It's bad idea to make people like you and me pay more for our few drinks because other people have a drink problem.

And it's totally off the wall to give that levy to the drinks trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It's a cash grab that is all. The floor price moves up so do the premium prices. Exactly what was said at the start of this.

The problem we have is that the Vitners will lobby to put the price of a can up again. With guinness set to increase watch this space. Ive a bad feeling that a can will soon go to 2.50 minimum.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I agree with you - The vintners will keep lobbying for increases in MUP to keep that gap between pubs and off licences as small as possible.. MUP will kill he drinks industry altogether whether that be pubs or off licences. Id say your 2.50 can will become closer to 3.00.

Your standard bottle of wine will become a tenner and a bottle of spirits will hit 30.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Kill the drinks industry? We hear that every time the price goes up. And yet we, as a society, continue to buy it.

And that is exactly what they are counting on. People might groan and moan a bit but after a while, they will simply accept the price for the product they want.

There might be some loss of trade to NI, but the gain in margins for the retailers and the gain in profits for the producers will probably more than compensate. It knocks price competition out of the water. So saves all that admin and advertising money that was needed every year just to stand still. The final bonus is that competition itself is stopped. No point in trying the new product if it's the same price as your previous favourite.

Its a win-win for everyone. The government get to claim they are doing something to deal with the problem of drinkers when everyone can see it really isn't. The Vintners are happy, the retailers are happy, and the producers are happy. The only people to lose out is the consumer, but we have shown time and time again that we will continue to buy drinks pretty much no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've just been informed that a pint of Guinness in my local will increase from 4.90 to 5.20 when the new diageo increases take effect. That's just wonderful. I remember not too long ago it was 3.90 but after the "pandemic" a pint now cost 4.50 which was a kick in the stones, now this, gone over a fiver for a fûcking pint of Guinness. The VFI have no shame and their paw prints are all over this so called MUP law.

I'll boycott my local after this and I'll do my shopping a few times a year in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

It didnt seem that long ago since Guinness said that they wouldnt be increasing their costs after the Heineken hike.

Well this is it. You could put the price of a pint to a tenner and you'd still get the same crowd in drinking them keeping the publicans pockets lined. I really thinking we are racing toward those prices.

My fear is that the supermarket sales and off license sales will come into the cross hairs of the vinters and AAI again. I've said before that 25 quid for 15 cans doesn't seem so bad when you only get 4 pints for the same money in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did it? I've never seen a scumbag ever buy a slab, they always bought 8 or 10 cans as they couldn't do basic primary school maths on any offers. No alcoholic was buying a crate at a time either. These pat on the back FFG pricks on €100k a year sleep well tonight once the tens of millions of NIRL spend is never revealed.

Advertisement