Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The beer I'm drinking is BB end 10/22.

No problem at all.

I have some BB end 12/22 next and that's it.

Enough spirits and wine to the middle of the year.

And I thought I might be overdoing it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I've packed in the cans

Wine is nicer and with the MUP the cheap reds work out the same alcohol units

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did my last NIRL booze run of 2022 last week, will be needing to go again around Easter. A lot of the good Christmas deals finished on Monday this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Crazy that the muppets have made it more attractive to buy strong spirits and wines over cans of beer. You'll do more harm with a couple of bottles of whiskey or vodka a week than a slab. Sure look it was about curtailing peoples enjoyment and trying to force us back into pubs than looking after our health.

Alcohol action ireland and Vitners union are cnuts. 6.70 a pint if heineken in the local. You can keep that shite lads.

This will be really harmful to the health of people with alcohol issues in the long run.

15 for €25 Heineken u get used to it really, not that bad

Cans are a lot of work compared to wine if like me u drink a lot

• Advertisement

I was getting 24 cans for 15 quid pre mup so its a huge rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I don't know anyone who isn't buying drink in bulk whenever they get the opportunity these days. Any discussion of MUP is gone among my friends pretty much and whenever we meet up, someone is casually throwing in how they brought back a load of wine and spirits from France or whatever. Or stocked up while up north. Its just become part of people's changed behaviour. Maybe drinking is down overall. But I'd be willing to bet that data would support it being among those who never had a problem with consumption and there is pretty nuch zero impact on who it was purported to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

I think the government have quietly admitted that MUP hasn't worked but they are not going to admit it.

It's all part of the big government theme that's been on steroids since the lockdowns

If they reversed this well then it would be the first reversal away from big government and the nanny state in 20years.

MUP just leaves heavy drinkers with less money for food

You can make wine cheaply but not a good idea for drinkers to be doing that

Any know how to get a tesco clubcard for NI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,996 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They would have had political cover to reverse it or revise it due to 'inflation crisis' and loss of revenue to exchequer, and the fact that it brought in assuming the North would do likewise, but no sign of that now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,996 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Last time I was up there, I just asked the person behind me do you want to scan your card there, they are happy to take the points on the £300 I was spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

So you will be indirectly contributing to the alcohol problem up north as they will use their club card vouchers to also stock up on booze ,nice one

Ah here fukks sake like you're getting carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I didn't think of it like that but that's a nice bonus ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I went up North before Christmas and every single person in the Off Licence in Jonesboro was up for the booze trip.

The ex alcoholics who pushed this such as Frances Black have cost the economy millions.

Another charity taking an interest in drink.

Not a lot about them online but they are funded by the Tomar Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 33,993 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh great. Yet another shadowy unaccountable group trying to pull our politicians' strings.

I saw that on the front page of the paper the other day and just assumed it was AAI. It's madness that the government takes our tax money then gives it to a so-called "charity" in order to lobby (i.e. provide cover) the government to implement the restrictive policies it was going to do anyway

We're probably funding that Tomar bunch too! Their website is a joke, doesn't tell us a thing about who they are, who funds them, or even what they want to do apart from very vague soundbites.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,993 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

None of that alcohol will appear in our consumption stats, either.

(Insert Borat "Great Success!" gif here)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's so depressing looking at this nonsense in Ireland, with the saloon doors and MUP. Being treated like children. I'm just scarleh for everyone.

Here in Sunny London I can buy a can of Zubr or Zywiec 5.6% for a pound still, 24 hours a day in corner shops. You can buy beers from food trucks and there are usually craft beer taps at markets on the street etc. You just never see that at home. Society doesn't seem to have fallen apart here either. It's just embarrassing that we've allowed the government to treat us like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You do realise that it isn't just the likes of AAI. The likes of Diageo and Heineken group are fully in favour of this. Along with the retailers and the publicans.

This is 100% in their interests. Gets rid of the cheap competition, lessons the need for the special offers (ie lower margins). If you think the likes of the AAI are the problem you are not seeing the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But its the likes of AAI and other pearl clutchers who give the government cover to do it. Its especially appaling considering AAI et al are "charities" yet are funded to the tune of about 80% by the government so they are being paid by the government to lobby the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They are given funds to provide a cover so that it looks like the government cares, when in reality it is the producers that have finance multiple times that of the charity.

And to be fair, AAI is trying to highlight the clear damage that alcohol does in our society. How to tackle that is of course open to debate, but at its core AAI is doing a good thing in highlighting the negative effects. Lets face it, the brands aren't going to do it.

I think in this particular instance they are wrong, but they are being facilitated by both the producers and the government as it suits their agendas to do so. The power does not lie with the AAI.

Yes the real power lies with the Oireachtas and they all voted in favour of MUP.

Only one dissenting voice TCD senator Prof. Sean Barrett who correctly pointed out that it was a windfall profit for the drinks trade.

Think about it, the three Government parties and all the opposition parties voting together to make our drink even more expensive.

They can hardly agree on the order of business but on this cash grab they were unanimous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So how long is the North going to take this carry on. I mean say 20% drop in sales here and the Increase up there. I assume they will not be to happy fairly soon. There is no real way of tracking who is buying it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not going to happen without Stormont back, and even when they are it will be an incredibly low priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't understand. Are you saying Northern retailers won't be happy with all these extra sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh I get that. But they are on a sticky wicket though if they try and push it up there now. People can just point and say increased consumption is due to Booze tourists. And I would wager the BBC would have no issue unlike RTE in sticking camara crews up at the boarder showing Republic reg cars at these places.

Advertisement