Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

LAst night DCC put up bollards along the cycle lane all the way up through Rathmines... Long over due .

They are finally getting there finger out with cycle infrastructure . It took this virus to push it along.

This should speed up all buses up and down that road as drivers will no longer have to navigate bikes the whole way up, and cycles will not have to navigate illegally parked cars.

I just hope the bikes stay in there and the car stay out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Where do the trucks that restock Lidl and Aldi park...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dfx- wrote: »

They can run over them.... I've had too on other streets... No choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

LAst night DCC put up bollards along the cycle lane all the way up through Rathmines... Long over due .

They are finally getting there finger out with cycle infrastructure . It took this virus to push it along.

This should speed up all buses up and down that road as drivers will no longer have to navigate bikes the whole way up, and cycles will not have to navigate illegally parked cars.

I just hope the bikes stay in there and the car stay out.

Have they? I was only working Rathmines yesterday on a relief so obviously did them after that. That'll be much smoother now, it's worked really well in Phibsborough :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

devnull wrote: »
    Looks like Aircoach might be coming back sooner than thought, all be it with a reduced timetable.

They've added a Coronavirus FAQ to their website:
    https://aircoach.ie/faqs

Among other things it says

Somebody should ask them to spell and grammar check their statements though.

Swords Express were operating at 50% capacity before any government guidelines set out back when DB were still only letting 17 passengers on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The compliance rates on IE and BE is rather impressive. For the most part BE drivers will not allow you on or give you a dressing down in front of everyone while most IE staff ask if you have a mask. Its easily 85% plus compliance.

The issue now is 50% capacity is causing major problems for BE and IE and they are going to have to increase to 100% within weeks as they won't be able to provide extra capacity.

Rather stark contrast with DB where drivers are not bothered mentioning or arguing in some cases with passengers about them (no criticizing) but they could increase compliance if they were more vocal.

I always had a mask and to be honest feel a bit pressured into wearing it on IE/BE services but don't feel the need to on DB currently.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The compliance rates on IE and BE is rather impressive. For the most part BE drivers will not allow you on or give you a dressing down in front of everyone while most IE staff ask if you have a mask. Its easily 85% plus compliance.

The issue now is 50% capacity is causing major problems for BE and IE and they are going to have to increase to 100% within weeks as they won't be able to provide extra capacity.

Rather stark contrast with DB where drivers are not bothered mentioning or arguing in some cases with passengers about them (no criticizing) but they could increase compliance if they were more vocal.

I always had a mask and to be honest feel a bit pressured into wearing it on IE/BE services but don't feel the need to on DB currently.

The main difference is that there is a lot more driver interaction on BE services than on DB/GAI services as passengers have always interact with the driver to pay their fare where as on DB/GAI a lot of passengers just scan their Leap card or FTP on the pole mounted validator and completely ignore the driver.

I would imagine the compliance rate on IE varies by service type. On intercity trains you likely have to interact with staff going through barriers or onboard during ticket inspections. However on the DART or commuter trains around Dublin most of the stations apart from the bigger ones like Pearse, Hueston, Tara Street and Connolly most are unmanned so can't see compliance being high where stations are unmanned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

What's the compliance like when they walk past the driver and sit down?

dfx- wrote: »

There is gaps in the lay out. Full of parked cars already. They need to designate loading areas . I hope they have not finished installing them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is gaps in the lay out. Full of parked cars already. They need to designate loading areas . I hope they have not finished installing them there.

Not only hat but the loading bays that were removed for covid cars and vans would cross barrier and still park.

• Advertisement

This is why it should not be left to bus drivers to enforce mask wearing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8493895/Bus-driver-left-brain-dead-beaten-insisting-masks-France.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »

Dailymail!

I had read about this elsewhere. The Dailymail is bigging up the mask side of the story, but in reality, these people were also refusing to pay their ticket and just forcing their way on.

Even pre-cvoid19 this tragic incident could have happened in the same way with any scumbags. Unfortunately drivers have to deal with the worst of our society almost every day.

bk wrote: »
    Dailymail!

I had read about this elsewhere. The Dailymail is bigging up the mask side of the story, but in reality, these people were also refusing to pay their ticket and just forcing their way on.

Even pre-cvoid19 this tragic incident could have happened in the same way with any scumbags. Unfortunately drivers have to deal with the worst of our society almost every day.

That's true but don't you think that expecting drivers to enforce mask wearing is just going to increase tensions between drivers and passengers hence increasing the risk to drivers and law abiding passengers alike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That's true but don't you think that expecting drivers to enforce mask wearing is just going to increase tensions between drivers and passengers hence increasing the risk to drivers and law abiding passengers alike.

No, I don't see it any different to having to deal with fare evaders, drunks, etc.

By drivers enforcing mask rules, they are protecting the health and safety of themselves and their passengers.

No, I don't see it any different to having to deal with fare evaders, drunks, etc.

By drivers enforcing mask rules, they are protecting the health and safety of themselves and their passengers.

It's clear though there are a sizeable enough amount of drivers who quite understandably avoid confrontations with the types you are talking about. For example one bus I was on there recently someone didn't scan their Leap card properly and the driver said nothing.

Clearly there are some drivers perhaps even most out there who just want to go about their days work with the minimum amount of hassle as is possible. That's why for example some drivers will stop short of the bus stop to drop off passengers if there is a big crowd at a bus stop and the bus is near full instead of telling the passengers that he/she can only take 3 or 4 passengers.

Even if masks were made mandatory for all regardless of medical conditions and drivers had to refuse passengers who did not comply then some people will just take off the mask once they are seated there is little a driver can do at that point. That's what is happening in the UK and drivers aren't refusing passengers there just informing maskless passngers they should be wearing one. A good comparison would be seatbelts on coaches they are mandatory for passengers to use but yet a lot of people don't use them and the driver can do nothing.

When's legislation due for mandatory masks on public transport or if at all? Thought it was meant to be this week but so far have heard zilch from any media outlets. Maybe they'll only implement it if there's a spike in cases or second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Is there a cap on the number of passengers taxis can carry also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's clear though there are a sizeable enough amount of drivers who quite understandably avoid confrontations with the types you are talking about. For example one bus I was on there recently someone didn't scan their Leap card properly and the driver said nothing.

Clearly there are some drivers perhaps even most out there who just want to go about their days work with the minimum amount of hassle as is possible. That's why for example some drivers will stop short of the bus stop to drop off passengers if there is a big crowd at a bus stop and the bus is near full instead of telling the passengers that he/she can only take 3 or 4 passengers.

Even if masks were made mandatory for all regardless of medical conditions and drivers had to refuse passengers who did not comply then some people will just take off the mask once they are seated there is little a driver can do at that point. That's what is happening in the UK and drivers aren't refusing passengers there just informing maskless passngers they should be wearing one. A good comparison would be seatbelts on coaches they are mandatory for passengers to use but yet a lot of people don't use them and the driver can do nothing.

I read on the other thread that you want to be a bus driver, from everything you post here IMO you should just skip straight to be a supervisor because clearly you know everything about the job far in excess of those who have done it for years.

The seatbelt issue is very clear, it is the responsibility of the driver/operator to inform passengers of the availability and requirement to wear them. Notices and/or announcements covers this.

It is NOT the responsibility of drivers to enforce use, nor is it an offence for a driver to carry passengers not using them.

If a driver wishes to refuse entry or travel for any passenger breaking the law, company by-laws or conditions of travel it is very much his/her prerogative to do so.

The opinion of a bystander/internet know-all or bus spotter on the internal rules of the company is irrelevant, just because you may think a driver from xyz company is not supposed to enforce particular rules it doesn't mean they are not within their rights as an authorised person to enforce any legal regulation at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Am I right in saying there's still been no clarification on refunds (or extensions) for tax saver travel tickets?

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I read on the other thread that you want to be a bus driver, from everything you post here IMO you should just skip straight to be a supervisor because clearly you know everything about the job far in excess of those who have done it for years.

The seatbelt issue is very clear, it is the responsibility of the driver/operator to inform passengers of the availability and requirement to wear them. Notices and/or announcements covers this.

It is NOT the responsibility of drivers to enforce use, nor is it an offence for a driver to carry passengers not using them.

If a driver wishes to refuse entry or travel for any passenger breaking the law, company by-laws or conditions of travel it is very much his/her prerogative to do so.

The opinion of a bystander/internet know-all or bus spotter on the internal rules of the company is irrelevant, just because you may think a driver from xyz company is not supposed to enforce particular rules it doesn't mean they are not within their rights as an authorised person to enforce any legal regulation at any time.

I am saying this because I don't want to see any driver or passenger be assaulted or attacked because they asked someone to wear a mask or social distance. This should be a matter for Gardai to deal with if they board a bus. I am also thinking of people who may suffer from conditions like autism who may become agitated or upset if someone asked them to wear a mask.

I know the law about seatbelts on coaches you didn't need to state it. I am making a comparision as it seems a lot of people don't use this mandatory PPE so it could be similar.

Are you a bus driver yourself? Will you be enforcing mask and how do feel about drivers who are going to use their prerogative and not enforce it. Do you respect that some people might just want to go about their jobs in peace by avoiding confrontation?

I've seen smoking, drinking alcohol, vandalism and blantant fare evasion whilst travelling on buses over the years and on those ocassions the driver did not do anything. I've only seen two ocassions where drivers did confront passengers for breaking rules and one was only a few weeks ago for sitting in a social distancing yellow tagged seat which surprised me the other was for a passenger smoking.

Also if you are a bus driver may I suggest consider a change of career as judging by your attitude you may be better suited to Templemore than driving buses.

So the job of a Bus Driver isn't just to drive a bus, it is also to interact and deal with the public, take fares and enforce the company bye-laws when they see fit.

Many interactions with the public will be pleasant, some annoying and a small number maybe downright dangerous.

It has nothing to do with masks or enforcing any other rules, unfortunately drivers have been attacked down through the years for any number of reasons, almost never for any logical reason. It is almost always just pure scumbags doing what they do.

I don't know why you think bus drivers need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Unfortunately the same danger exists in almost all frontline jobs where you interact with the public. People who work in shops, bouncers, pub workers, restaurant workers, nurses, taxi drivers, etc., etc. They could all tell you stories of having to deal with people like that and possibly getting assaulted.

Of course that is terrible and not right at all. There is probably a bigger conversation here about how we deal with those elements of our society. But it isn't unique to bus drivers and it is an unfortunately is part of the job, just like most public facing jobs.

I don't mean any offence to you, but if you can't understand that bus driving is more then just driving the bus, but it is also dealing with the public, taking fares, enforcing rules, etc. then I don't think you would be cut out for it, not everyone is (myself included). Perhaps consider a less public facing career, Luas driver, truck driver, etc.

So the job of a Bus Driver isn't just to drive a bus, it is also to interact and deal with the public, take fares and enforce the company bye-laws when they see fit.

Many interactions with the public will be pleasant, some annoying and a small number maybe downright dangerous.

It has nothing to do with masks or enforcing any other rules, unfortunately drivers have been attacked down through the years for any number of reasons, almost never for any logical reason. It is almost always just pure scumbags doing what they do.

I don't know why you think bus drivers need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Unfortunately the same danger exists in almost all frontline jobs where you interact with the public. People who work in shops, bouncers, pub workers, restaurant workers, nurses, taxi drivers, etc., etc. They could all tell you stories of having to deal with people like that and possibly getting assaulted.

Of course that is terrible and not right at all. There is probably a bigger conversation here about how we deal with those elements of our society. But it isn't unique to bus drivers and it is an unfortunately is part of the job, just like most public facing jobs.

I don't mean any offence to you, but if you can't understand that bus driving is more then just driving the bus, but it is also dealing with the public, taking fares, enforcing rules, etc. then I don't think you would be cut out for it, not everyone is (myself included). Perhaps consider a less public facing career, Luas driver, truck driver, etc.

All good points to be fair. I am fully aware that there is more to driving a bus than just driving the bus it's also stuff like assisting elderly and disabled passengers and dealing with enforcing bylaws but that it is where one sees fit as you rightly point out. It is clear from my observations that some bus drivers prefer to avoid confrontations like many people in public facing roles. I'm guessing you disagree with this PoV.

I find it slightly ironic that you say that I'm not well suited to jobs working with the public when I do just that already as I work in a supermarket. To make a comparision I'm not going to chase say shoplifter around the shop as I will let security worry about that in fact I was actually told not to confront shoplifters.

Also if you think truck drivers don't receive verbal and ocassional physical abuse I have to laugh at that. Truck drivers are given abuse by people working in the likes of warehouses and distribution centres and in many cases are expected to unload their truck aswell. Look at the sitaution with the migrants in Calais for example.

Going back to the face covering issue for a moment I travelled on a bus and a Luas today and most people including myself were wearing face coverings I'm sure you'd be glad to know. There were a few passengers who were not wearing and nothing was said to them not by neither by the bus driver or the security on the Luas.

I don't really see the issue with enforcement on this matter. I wouldn't regard the non wearing of a mask as serious anti social behaviour I'd have it in a category more as bad manners akin to playing music without earphones, feet on seats, eating offensive smelling food or not covering your cough/sneeze.

I find it slightly ironic that you say that I'm not well suited to jobs working with the public when I do just that already as I work in a supermarket. To make a comparision I'm not going to chase say shoplifter around the shop as I will let security worry about that in fact I was actually told not to confront shoplifters.

But "security" are people too and they have to deal with these sort of people. That is part of their job, much as it is part of the job of a bus driver.

You are lucky that in a big supermarket, you are right that it is usually left to security to deal with, usually for crappy insurance reasons.

But what if you worked at a small convenience store, the only member of staff, maybe the owner? If someone came in and started stealing, would you shrug and stand there and say not my job!

If you were the owner, I'm sure you wouldn't, you would tackle them or at least call the Guards. If an employee and you did nothing, you'd probably get fired by the owner.

If you worked for Aircoach or similar and you were caught by them not taking fares from all customers, you'd get fired, right?

Driving a bus, is going to be more like working on your own in a small shop. You are going to be out there on your own, driving a bus on your own, dealing with people on your own and representing your company on your own. There will be no security for you to hide behind.

Don't get me wrong, you might be brilliant at it and love it. But you should really go into with a realistic view of what is involved and expected.

If you were to express this sort of attitude at an interview with DB, you know you would get laughed out of there, right?

Obviously drivers here can advise you better, but I think if you go in with this sort of poor attitude of the job to start with, you probably wouldn't be happy with it and maybe not last.

And no harm in that. Your have only one life, best to find a job that best fits your personality, skills, etc. No point being miserable in a job you don't enjoy or fit in.

Again, not saying that you mightn't love it and be great at it, but just be realistic about what it involves.

But "security" are people too and they have to deal with these sort of people. That is part of their job, much as it is part of the job of a bus driver.

You are lucky that in a big supermarket, you are right that it is usually left to security to deal with, usually for crappy insurance reasons.

But what if you worked at a small convenience store, the only member of staff, maybe the owner? If someone came in and started stealing, would you shrug and stand there and say not my job!

If you were the owner, I'm sure you wouldn't, you would tackle them or at least call the Guards. If an employee and you did nothing, you'd probably get fired by the owner.

You'd call the Gardai but when it is safe to do if you worked in a small corner shop that was being robbed. I suspect you don't believe that the person working there should come out and start squaring up to the person in question putting themself at risk. You'd use your common sense and do what you feel is reasonable.
    If you worked for Aircoach or similar and you were caught by them not taking fares from all customers, you'd get fired, right?

It's a different type of service to DB that dosen't have the same level of anti social behaviour. There's a lot more driver interaction on the Aircoach for example the drivers help customers with their baggage on that but not on DB
    Driving a bus, is going to be more like working on your own in a small shop. You are going to be out there on your own, driving a bus on your own, dealing with people on your own and representing your company on your own. There will be no security for you to hide behind.

Again you do what you see fit. A driver can't be looking at the CCTV monitor in the cab for every minute of their working day. That wouldn't be safe but if you were made aware of bad behaviour you can always stop the bus and call the Gardai whilst remaining in the cab.
    Obviously drivers here can advise you better, but I think if you go in with this sort of poor attitude of the job to start with, you probably wouldn't be happy with it and maybe not last.

And no harm in that. Your have only one life, best to find a job that best fits your personality, skills, etc. No point being miserable in a job you don't enjoy or fit in.

Again, not saying that you mightn't love it and be great at it, but just be realistic about what it involves.

I'm not sure why you think I have a poor attitude I am willing to learn. I have a big interest in the area, I am good at providing customer service and at least I like to think I'm a reasonably driver. I know it's not an easy job but I like a challenge but I will use my judgement to make it easier.

Your right perhaps I could hate it but no harm in that just move on and find another job no harm in trying something is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm not sure why you think I have a poor attitude I am willing to learn. I have a big interest in the area, I am good at providing customer service and at least I like to think I'm a reasonably driver. I know it's not an easy job but I like a challenge but I will use my judgement to make it easier.

Your right perhaps I could hate it but no harm in that just move on and find another job no harm in trying something is there?

Are you currently going through the DB recruitment?

• Advertisement

Are you currently going through the DB recruitment?

No but I'm considering it need to get the Learner permit and CPC first

Getting off topic but. You will be fine.

Bus drivers who look for bother, find it. Those who want to stay out of trouble , will avoid it.

You are not security and any of the rest of that bollocks.

Take fares, drive safely. Thats it. Do that and you will have many years of zero bother. Who cares about the NTA getting a fare.

If they cared, they would have checkers out. im over 4 years now, never had revenue on my bus.

That says it all.

You will have enough to deal with from taxis and cycles..

Mask, no mask, who cares.

If the bus looks full, keep driving.

Getting off topic but. You will be fine.

Bus drivers who look for bother, find it. Those who want to stay out of trouble , will avoid it.

You are not security and any of the rest of that bollocks.

Take fares, drive safely. Thats it. Do that and you will have many years of zero bother. Who cares about the NTA getting a fare.

If they cared, they would have checkers out. im over 4 years now, never had revenue on my bus.

That says it all.

You will have enough to deal with from taxis and cycles..

Mask, no mask, who cares.

If the bus looks full, keep driving.

That would be the attitude I would take if I got the job. Even the Luas security couldn't be bothered with policing the masks as was evident when I was on it today about 5 of them on my tram today not a word said to the sizeable minority of passengers not wearing masks and tbh I don't blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Luas yesterday - possibly 5% wearing masks, mostly elderly or Asian/Asian decent. And me, I don't fit in to either category.

Bus - fairly low load so each person without a mask has a high % impact, but probably 85%.

Trains I've been on have been fairly solid, at least from Connolly. People seem to wear them when they have to pass staff - gate lines or driver - and not bother when they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

L1011 wrote: »
    Luas yesterday - possibly 5% wearing masks, mostly elderly or Asian/Asian decent. And me, I don't fit in to either category.

Bus - fairly low load so each person without a mask has a high % impact, but probably 85%.

Trains I've been on have been fairly solid, at least from Connolly. People seem to wear them when they have to pass staff - gate lines or driver - and not bother when they don't.

I just don't get it, do a huge amount of people not care about their health at all? Increasing evidence thats Covid 19 is airborne in enclosed spaces, not just aerosol, also evidence of people with even mild symptoms going on to develop serious brain disorders: From the Times yesterday:

"Warning of serious brain disorders in people with mild coronavirus symptoms
    Complications in study include brain inflammation, delirium, nerve damage and stroke"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/warning-of-serious-brain-disorders-in-people-with-mild-coronavirus-symptoms-1.4299112

• Advertisement

That would be the attitude I would take if I got the job. Even the Luas security couldn't be bothered with policing the masks as was evident when I was on it today about 5 of them on my tram today not a word said to the sizeable minority of passengers not wearing masks and tbh I don't blame them.

Im not saying "couldn't be bothered"

Im saying, if you think a situation will escalate out of your control, dont engage.

Let it wash over you. You have a job to do, but landing yourself out sick over a few pennies or a poxy mask is not going to benefit you or the company.

L1011 wrote: »

The Luas I was on yesterday had about 80% compliance and there was security on that but weren't saying anything to the passengers without masks about a similar rate on the bus but again a fairly low load? I'm surprised that the gateline staff in stations are saying anything but the Luas security are not but then again I've never seen Luas security engage in the more minor stuff like feet on seats, playing music etc.

Btw this was on the Green line but it may be a different story over on the Red line likewise compliance rate may vary by route and time of day on DB/GAI services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can someone tell me - I haven't been on the DART in months. What measures are in place to ensure social distancing - are certain seats unavailable now or how does it work?

Due to go back to the office tomorrow but getting jitters due to reports of the 2 metre distance being understated and Ireland's r-number now being above 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Can someone tell me - I haven't been on the DART in months. What measures are in place to ensure social distancing - are certain seats unavailable now or how does it work?

Due to go back to the office tomorrow but getting jitters due to reports of the 2 metre distance being understated and Ireland's r-number now being above 1.
    All window seats available, all aisle seats blocked off

I've only gone on DART a couple of times at weekends over the past 2 weeks and it has been fine plenty of empty seats and about 50% wearing masks. I would not feel comfortable going on it during morning/evening rush hour with someone sitting directly infront of me who was not wearing a mask

Disappointing but not surprising.

As an aside, I'm delighted to see Dublin Town becoming a strong voice for the people of Dublin in articles like this. Hopefully more like this, they seem to talk a lot of sense.

As an aside, I'm delighted to see Dublin Town becoming a strong voice for the people of Dublin in articles like this. Hopefully more like this, they seem to talk a lot of sense.

It is something that definitely needs to be looked at as part of bus connects perhaps have one route on each spine running 24hr. I'd be interested to know what the figures between 23:30hrs and 06:00hrs on the 15 and 41 over the past few months and has there been a greater drop on the 24hrs routes late at night into the early hours compared to during the day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Ohmeha wrote: »
    All window seats available, all aisle seats blocked off.

Even those directly facing each other? Seems a little pointless to block off seats next to each other if you can be directly facing someone else, especially on the newer darts with the thick padded seats that are squashed together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone been on the enterprise to Belfast recently? People wearing masks? Numbers limited?
    Or on bus to Belfast?

I am due to head up in about a week to see family not seen my folks since December!
    Just having a look at options

Am I right in saying there's still been no clarification on refunds (or extensions) for tax saver travel tickets?
    I have heard nothing bar the below at end of may.

For commuters who are to continue employment with their current employer, under the NTA plan, the customer will be offered free travel for a number of months equivalent to the length of time they have been unable to use their ticket as a result of travel restrictions.

At the point when the customer returns to work, or on expiry of their ticket, they will make arrangements with their employer and they will be offered a choice as to whether the months-in-lieu are to take effect immediately, or whether they want to use them at a later date.

For holders of TaxSaver tickets who will not be continuing in their current employment, a refund will be offered to cover the remaining period of ticket validity, from the time restrictions were put in place.

Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than a replacement ticket, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Has anyone been on the enterprise to Belfast recently? People wearing masks? Numbers limited?
    Or on bus to Belfast?

I am due to head up in about a week to see family not seen my folks since December!
    Just having a look at options
    No to answer my own question but seemingly face coverings are mandatory from today on all NI trains and buses including the Enterprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

gmisk wrote: »
    I have heard nothing bar the below at end of may.

For commuters who are to continue employment with their current employer, under the NTA plan, the customer will be offered free travel for a number of months equivalent to the length of time they have been unable to use their ticket as a result of travel restrictions.

At the point when the customer returns to work, or on expiry of their ticket, they will make arrangements with their employer and they will be offered a choice as to whether the months-in-lieu are to take effect immediately, or whether they want to use them at a later date.

For holders of TaxSaver tickets who will not be continuing in their current employment, a refund will be offered to cover the remaining period of ticket validity, from the time restrictions were put in place.

Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than a replacement ticket, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions.

So you have to engage directly with your employer for the extension of validity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Face coverings legally mandatory to be worn on public transport from Monday. Legislation to be signed this evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Face coverings legally mandatory to be worn on public transport from Monday. Legislation to be signed this evening.

Should've been done day 1 of phase 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

And Gardaí still won't have any legally enforceable powers on Monday so don't expect the many who haven't been wearing masks to suddenly change their attitude on Monday

I still can't see how it will be enforceable as this doesn't apply to everyone. Unless Gardai are really going to be out in force on every bus, train and Luas.

Even if bus drivers do want to enforce this how are they going to argue with someone who claims they Astma, COPD or any other breathing difficulty even if it is complete bs. If they are refused then someone could claim discrimination or harrassment I suspect.

As a disclaimer this isn't me being anti mask or just being controversial for the sake of it. I'm simply looking at the practicalities of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not much update from any of the private coach operations like Dublin coach. Their social media hot with “rumours” of them gone out of business.
    The social distancing should be relaxed for public transport with mask wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Covid 19 is desperate for public transport. Sets us back years

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    The social distancing should be relaxed for public transport with mask wearing

Already has capacity was 25% until masks became mandatory now 50%. For example it was 17 people on a double decker bus a few weeks ago it's now 37.

Advertisement