Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Runaways wrote: »
    Christ that was painful.

Sorry! would be class if Ed did do a set at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Anyone have tickets for Hyde Park? Do you think the European your will be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

rtron wrote: »
    Anyone have tickets for Hyde Park? Do you think the European your will be cancelled?

I have tickets and would be shocked if it goes ahead unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 37,900 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

petros1980 wrote: »

admire the dude for doing it and he is a decent singer but didnt have that vedder sound

In Waterford theres a band called 'bettermen' who do a few PJ songs and are very good. Even do a few other covers in Vedders style of vocals. God i miss the pub ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

rtron wrote: »

Eddie said they’re ‘in a holding pattern’ about the euro tour. I wouldn’t say there’s any chance of it happening tbh.
    We are expected to have a handle on the virus by then but I’d say you’ll see major gigs and events cancelled before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Really cracking album. 4 listens in now and liking different bits each time which is always a good sign. Lots to absorb here. It's already in a different league to Backspacer and Lightning Bolt but too early to say where it'll go in my list of PJ albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Too noisy , to punchy and too unrefined compared to previous albums. And by previous albums , i mean anything up to RiotAct.

Cameron's tom heavy presence is overbearing as usual. Banging away frenetically - in many cases, too much for what's needed, and sometimes it takes away from the songs.

They've become a band that almost plays exclusively in the style of songs like Spin The Black Circle , Lukin and Breakerfall. At one point , I thought this is what Eddie collaborating with Green Day would sound like.

Pearl Jam reached the pinnacle of their evolution a long time ago. Its probably to much to ask of them , or to even expect , another introspective /artsy record like No Code and Yield.

The straight forward / classic punk rock sound seems like its here to stay until the throw in the towel.

Whoever said through alright on this is just such a fantastic run. I can’t think of a better one since vitalogy maybe

Then it switches gears. Kinda feels like that stylistic all over the place switching no code has.

Which were used to now but if you remember when you first heard it it jumps all over the place do the entire record. Sometimes hail hail who you are...off he goes into habit

Like I say we’re just used to and familiar with that now it having been with us so long.

This feelS like it’s going for the same effect.

But so far 1-6 is just nailing it for me. I hope I can catch whatever it’s doing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

BruteStock wrote: »
    Too noisy , to punchy and too unrefined compared to previous albums. And by previous albums , i mean anything up to RiotAct.

Cameron's tom heavy presence is overbearing as usual. Banging away frenetically - in many cases, too much for what's needed, and sometimes it takes away from the songs.

They've become a band that almost plays exclusively in the style of songs like Spin The Black Circle , Lukin and Breakerfall. At one point , I thought this is what Eddie collaborating with Green Day would sound like.

Pearl Jam reached the pinnacle of their evolution a long time ago. Its probably to much to ask of them , or to even expect , another introspective /artsy record like No Code and Yield.

The straight forward / classic punk rock sound seems like its here to stay until the throw in the towel.

Hard disagree on this. The last couple of albums (while both had their moments) felt like they were lighter (or at least produced that way). This at least feels a lot more cerebral (something which the band seemed to veer away from).

Can’t agree either. This finally sounds like the Matt Cameron human rather than machine. It’s groove and space rather than the overplay which he has been guilty of in the past. There’s space and room here in his playing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Really good album musically. Major step up from Lightning Bolt....only downers are the’ random words from a Thesaurus’ lyrics - that’s when I can actually make out the words .....thought he’d have something to say after 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Have to say lads, the new album is a belter. My favourite album by any band for the past couple of years.

Really good album musically. Major step up from Lightning Bolt....only downers are the’ random words from a Thesaurus’ lyrics - that’s when I can actually make out the words .....thought he’d have something to say after 7 years.

Thought that too. He’s made life really hard for himself some of these are gonna be a bitch to sing in terms of vocals but also memory. And he’s known for often screwing up forgetting lyrics regularly :)

In terms of content I’m happy. Seven o clock has some genuinely good lyrics and a cohesive narrative. Apparently the whole record does but I haven’t gone in that end yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Also have to say, the songwriting displayed on Comes Then Goes (about Cornell) is just unbelievably good. It's as raw a song as Black.

So there might possibly be a second album coming..in some form

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2020/04/artwork-leak-for-gigaton-ii.html?m=1

*i just noticed the date on this. Doh.
    But there’s more n more smoke theres a second one coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The CD does say Side A in fairness

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    The CD does say Side A in fairness

Does it!??

Didn’t know that.

Game on I guess.

My bet is they’ll announce or release it day the euro tour gets cancelled. Or shortly after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

On the left

27.03.2020-Pearl-Jam-Gigaton-1-512x512.jpg

Deadly. Matter of time. Hopefully not a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm liking it more that I've gotten into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Does it take long for delivery from the US shop on the band site? Cant see what I want in the EU/UK one.

Still loving the album, can even put on 7 o clock and the little one will smile (probably at my **** singing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Mushy wrote: »
    Does it take long for delivery from the US shop on the band site? Cant see what I want in the EU/UK one.

Still loving the album, can even put on 7 o clock and the little one will smile (probably at my **** singing)

No idea, especially under the current climate. Still waiting on the cd from EU/UK side.

Mushy wrote: »

My pal ordered from the US 10c store and not the euro one. He’s still waiting. Everyone I know that ordered from the euro has gotten theirs

So I’d wait tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cheers. Could send it to a mate in SF, but he'd get shot going to the post office or something

Stupid question maybe but is there any point in ordering anything off amazon right now?
    Would it even get delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Stupid question maybe but is there any point in ordering anything off amazon right now?
    Would it even get delivered?

If you are looking for the new album, use record hub

https://therecordhub.com/products/vinyl-pearl-jam-gigaton

I had my by monday after a friday shipping

EyesClosed wrote: »
    If you are looking for the new album, use record hub

https://therecordhub.com/products/vinyl-pearl-jam-gigaton

I had my by monday after a friday shipping

It’s something else actually. A book and a dvd.

I’ll wait it out I guess thank you but thanks for the tip on that site. Never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

It’s something else actually. A book and a dvd.

I’ll wait it out I guess thank you but thanks for the tip on that site. Never heard of them.

They are new, great service all from Ireland as well, so you are not waiting ages for a delivery, prices are nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yes, I've been getting Amazon stuff recently, and in fact just placed an order for a bunch of records the other day.

Never heard of Record Hub, will check it out!

• Advertisement

Yes, I've been getting Amazon stuff recently, and in fact just placed an order for a bunch of records the other day.

Never heard of Record Hub, will check it out!

Oh really?
    I might give it a swing so. The book is expensive enough like €40 but it’s coming from the UK so I’d hope it would make it through.
    Ok I’ll give it a swing thank you!

Advertisement