Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Love the new album. There's a good 8 or 9 songs there that are good to excellent. That's enough to excite me. There was nothing like that on Lightening Bolt. I thought I liked Sirens but after a while it just grated on me.

I was just having a look at when Ten was released. 1991. The webpage I went into had other albums from that year. Wow. Some year for albums. To name a few:-
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Ten - Pearl Jam
    Achtung Baby - U2
    Metallica (a.k.a. The Black Album) - Metallica
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Out of Time - R.E.M.
    Use Your Illusions - Guns N Roses
    Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
    BadMotorFinger - Soundgarden
    Screamadelica - Primal Scream
    Gish - Smashing Pumpkins
    Arise - Sepultura
    Green Mind - Dinosaur Jr.
    Weld - Neil Young
    Seamonsters - The Wedding Present

Sorry for going off-topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Love the new album. There's a good 8 or 9 songs there that are good to excellent. That's enough to excite me. There was nothing like that on Lightening Bolt. I thought I liked Sirens but after a while it just grated on me.

I was just having a look at when Ten was released. 1991. The webpage I went into had other albums from that year. Wow. Some year for albums. To name a few:-
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Ten - Pearl Jam
    Achtung Baby - U2
    Metallica (a.k.a. The Black Album) - Metallica
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Out of Time - R.E.M.
    Use Your Illusions - Guns N Roses
    Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
    BadMotorFinger - Soundgarden
    Screamadelica - Primal Scream
    Gish - Smashing Pumpkins
    Arise - Sepultura
    Green Mind - Dinosaur Jr.
    Weld - Neil Young
    Seamonsters - The Wedding Present

Sorry for going off-topic.

That really was like a golden era. No matter what you were into there was brilliant music on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Runaways wrote: »
    Stupid question maybe but is there any point in ordering anything off amazon right now?
    Would it even get delivered?

Been regularly getting items from Amazon, haven't noticed a delay on anything. Just need to remember to ship it to home and not the office!

I bought the album from Golden Discs, had it on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

1990 - 1995 had some true classics released, across all genres. From rock to hip hop to dance to acid jazz to 'indie', there hasn't been an era since to match it.

I remember a pirate radio station around 90-1992 or 93 called Alice’s Restaurant. Way down the end of the dial. Got such a huge education in music off that station at exactly the right age. They were pre phantom which also was brilliant

• Advertisement

Can't underestimate the influence of Dave Fanning's 8pm - 10pm weekly show on RTE2. That's where I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time, can remember it well!

Can't underestimate the influence of Dave Fanning's 8pm - 10pm weekly show on RTE2. That's where I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time, can remember it well!

Fanning was the only alternative to chart music, I think. Loved it. Looked forward to the fab 50 for weeks before it was on. Used to record it on tapes. Don't think we had the internet back in the early 90's. Only music was radio and tapes in the likes of HMV, Zvigago etc.
    Think first place I heard Smells like Teen Spirit was on a channel 4 programme called The Word. Decent show. The live performances were mad on it. Faith No More, Rage against the Machine, Nirvana. Great days.

Fanning was the only alternative to chart music, I think. Loved it. Looked forward to the fab 50 for weeks before it was on. Used to record it on tapes. Don't think we had the internet back in the early 90's. Only music was radio and tapes in the likes of HMV, Zvigago etc.
    Think first place I heard Smells like Teen Spirit was on a channel 4 programme called The Word. Decent show. The live performances were mad on it. Faith No More, Rage against the Machine, Nirvana. Great days.

The word!!!
    It was like a weekly window into a different world. They were all off their tits on E. I only realized that years later
    Had all the best bands on too tho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Runaways wrote: »
    The word!!!
    It was like a weekly window into a different world. They were all off their tits on E. I only realized that years later
    Had all the best bands on too tho

:confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Inevitably Gigaton is being compared to PJs back catelogue. I've seen many articles proclaiming that it is well up there, but not as good as Ten, Vs and Vitalogy. I get the Ten and Vs reference alright, but IMO Vitalogy is overrated. THere are 14 songs, and at least half of them are filler. 4 of them aren't even songs. Songs like Spin, Last exit, whipping, satans bed are alright. Middle of the road type of tunes. It has top tunes like Better Man, Immortality, Nothing Man, Corduroy.

Anyway point is, for me anyway, I'd take Gigaton over Vitalogy any day. I think it has at least 8 classics, which I think will stand the test of time - not like tunes on Backspacer and lightening bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I have a few Daily Mixes on Spotify and there are a good few songs from Gigaton popping up in there and they sound great.

Pearl Jam tho. Quick escape.

Holy fvck

It’s immense

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

On first listen, not bad at all, and I've kind of veered away from this band altogether, as I just found it same old same old. Funnily enough, Vs and Vitalogy are the ones I go back to most. I could take or leave Ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Some of the lyrics on this are bordering on cringe. I know lyrics were never the bands strong suit , but still. Its hard to look past.

BruteStock wrote: »
    Some of the lyrics on this are bordering on cringe. I know lyrics were never the bands strong suit , but still. Its hard to look past.

Whatever about this album, that's just flat wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

Inevitably Gigaton is being compared to PJs back catelogue. I've seen many articles proclaiming that it is well up there, but not as good as Ten, Vs and Vitalogy. I get the Ten and Vs reference alright, but IMO Vitalogy is overrated. THere are 14 songs, and at least half of them are filler. 4 of them aren't even songs. Songs like Spin, Last exit, whipping, satans bed are alright. Middle of the road type of tunes. It has top tunes like Better Man, Immortality, Nothing Man, Corduroy.

Anyway point is, for me anyway, I'd take Gigaton over Vitalogy any day. I think it has at least 8 classics, which I think will stand the test of time - not like tunes on Backspacer and lightening bolt.

I've often found Vitalogy a frustrating listening experience. There is high highs, some ok tracks and then wtf lows.

Ten is classic rock, like a Led Zeppelin album from the 70s or something. That is to say, it's like an album that's always been around. Most of us would've only heard it long after it was released (1992 for me).

Vs at the time was, and still is, a visceral listening experience - a band at the peak of it's powers, in a whirlwind of fame and media attention, something that nearly knocked the wind out of them completely. I remember the build up to it. That they came out with an album as fierce as this was quite a statement of intent, answering their critics, and maintained and developed their fanbase (at the time I wasn't massively into Ten, but Vs was right up my street).

Vitalogy is like the flipside of Vs - the same intense, angry playing, but filtered through a lense of unease and distress. There's some truly harrowing moments on that album, and the artwork / book reinforced that. It didn't do them any harm commerically though.

(special mention to Mirror Ball here - there was some great Pearl Jam band moments on that album, some great rocking cuts, it's just a pity there wasn't as much Vedder - though Merkin Ball is a nice accompanying release)

No Code was like an extension of the stranger parts of Vitalogy (and a similar playing style to that on Mirror Ball), definitely cut from the same cloth. It was from this point forward they would no longer be as big as they were or as commercial sounding - compared to this album, Vs sounds positively Top 40.

Yield was a step back to a more classic rock sound but also planted the seed of the Pearl Jam we have today - while there's more variation on Yield than on the albums released after it, you can tell they are beginning to settle in to some kind of comfort zone.

Binaural / Riot Act / 'Avocado' / Backspacer / Lightning Bolt - from here on out, these albums are fairly middle of the road, PJ-by-numbers. I could never enjoy the mumbling vocals on Riot Act, and the music was very one dimensional. Binaural had far too many Spin the Black Circle retreads, and while 'avocado' showed some promise, it again fell into a one-trick mode. Backspacer was better by virtue of the fact that it had some good songs and more variety, but Lightning Bolt was probably the dullest album they've ever made.

I've a feeling the new one is at least back to Yield quality, for me there's some real standouts - Quick Escape, Seven O'Clock, Alright, Buckle Up - sonically any of these songs could've sat on any of the last four albums, though they would arguably be the best song on each one. Only Dance of The Clairvoyants shows a completely new PJ sound. Saying all that, the production is a marked improvement over the last four or five albums.

That's just my 2c anyway! :)

Ten is classic rock, like a Led Zeppelin album from the 70s or something. That is to say, it's like an album that's always been around. Most of us would've only heard it long after it was released (1992 for me).

Vs at the time was, and still is, a visceral listening experience - a band at the peak of it's powers, in a whirlwind of fame and media attention, something that nearly knocked the wind out of them completely. I remember the build up to it. That they came out with an album as fierce as this was quite a statement of intent, answering their critics, and maintained and developed their fanbase (at the time I wasn't massively into Ten, but Vs was right up my street).

Vitalogy is like the flipside of Vs - the same intense, angry playing, but filtered through a lense of unease and distress. There's some truly harrowing moments on that album, and the artwork / book reinforced that. It didn't do them any harm commerically though.

(special mention to Mirror Ball here - there was some great Pearl Jam band moments on that album, some great rocking cuts, it's just a pity there wasn't as much Vedder - though Merkin Ball is a nice accompanying release)

No Code was like an extension of the stranger parts of Vitalogy (and a similar playing style to that on Mirror Ball), definitely cut from the same cloth. It was from this point forward they would no longer be as big as they were or as commercial sounding - compared to this album, Vs sounds positively Top 40.

Yield was a step back to a more classic rock sound but also planted the seed of the Pearl Jam we have today - while there's more variation on Yield than on the albums released after it, you can tell they are beginning to settle in to some kind of comfort zone.

Binaural / Riot Act / 'Avocado' / Backspacer / Lightning Bolt - from here on out, these albums are fairly middle of the road, PJ-by-numbers. I could never enjoy the mumbling vocals on Riot Act, and the music was very one dimensional. Binaural had far too many Spin the Black Circle retreads, and while 'avocado' showed some promise, it again fell into a one-trick mode. Backspacer was better by virtue of the fact that it had some good songs and more variety, but Lightning Bolt was probably the dullest album they've ever made.

I've a feeling the new one is at least back to Yield quality, for me there's some real standouts - Quick Escape, Seven O'Clock, Alright, Buckle Up - sonically any of these songs could've sat on any of the last four albums, though they would arguably be the best song on each one. Only Dance of The Clairvoyants shows a completely new PJ sound. Saying all that, the production is a marked improvement over the last four or five albums.

Great review.

I think is 'Avacado' is an overlooked album. Some great songs on it and Inside Job is a classic song.

With Backspacer and Lightining Bolt, I reckon between the 2 you could make one great album, what songs would make is a whole new debate altogether :pac:

Maybe it's just because of when I got into Pearl Jam (1999), but I tend to engage (and re-engage) with the albums that showcase their reflective and idiosyncratic side.

I agree Roanmore, I think Avocado will age quite well.

I think the only Pearl Jam album that I struggle with is Lightning Bolt, and even on certain days I can get behind it, but comparatively it struggles with the rest. Backspacer while slight, has brevity and snappiness on its side, and personally I have fond memories around it.

Good summary.
    Love the song I'm the ocean from Mirrorball. Great riff.
    Just on the last 2 points on Avocado - I know there are some very good songs on it. But when I go to listen to it, just something puts me off. I'm not at all familiar with the technical issues behind music, but is there something about the sound production? Overproduced? A kinda tin sound coming from it?
    I don't know. Just something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

EyesClosed wrote: »

Nice to see some Riot Act love.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

@eviltimeban , that's a pretty good summary of it all. I would still put the new album into the same bracket as everything since Binaural or even No Code / Yield, though the production is better on this new one. Avocado in fairness has some decent tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deenie78

I’ve been a serious PJ fangirl since my teens (when Ten was released). I fell off the wagon during the 00s and started getting really listening again around the time Backspacer came out (and I got Spotify!). Its only since reading more forums like this over the last couple of years that I realised others struggled with some of the albums then too.
    Love the new album, it just keeps getting better with each listen for me. I think Dance especially sounds even better on the album then it did as a standalone. 7 o’clock really stood out for me since the start, though ever since Runaways said how wordy it is I keep picturing Eddie losing his way half way through singing it live ��!! (I’m pretty sure it was Runaways that said this?)

All the free time has got me thinking of my album ranking now so that’s my task for today!!

Anyway – loving the chat

Deenie78 wrote: »
    I’ve been a serious PJ fangirl since my teens (when Ten was released). I fell off the wagon during the 00s and started getting really listening again around the time Backspacer came out (and I got Spotify!). Its only since reading more forums like this over the last couple of years that I realised others struggled with some of the albums then too.
    Love the new album, it just keeps getting better with each listen for me. I think Dance especially sounds even better on the album then it did as a standalone. 7 o’clock really stood out for me since the start, though ever since Runaways said how wordy it is I keep picturing Eddie losing his way half way through singing it live ��!! (I’m pretty sure it was Runaways that said this?)

All the free time has got me thinking of my album ranking now so that’s my task for today!!

Anyway – loving the chat

Shure stick up your album ranking here if ya get around to it.

Shure stick up your album ranking here if ya get around to it.

Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    No Code
    Avacado
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Binaural
    Lightining Bolt

I’d probably put Gigaton below Vitalogy for the moment.
    To be honest Vs to Vitalogy are interchangeable depending on how I feel at the particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deenie78

Similarly Vs and Vitalogy interchange for me on a regular basis as does No Code and Yield, I think Gigaton would go in after No Code at the moment, but that could change:

Ten
    Vitalogy*
    Vs
    Yield
    No Code (My first PJ cd)
    Backspacer
    Riot Act
    Avocado
    Lightning Bolt
    Binaural

*I had the tape version of Vitalogy - did anyone else know that Betterman and Nothingman were directly opposite each other on the tape sides, I could play them back to back on my walkman by just flipping that reverse button thingy ... I have no idea how I discovered this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

This is mine. I think as others have said, they can change depending on your mood etc.

Ten
    Yield
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    Gigaton
    No Code
    Lightning Bolt
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Avocado
    Binaural

Ten is just a 10/10 album, you can play it start to finish and never feel the urge to skip a track.

As of Apr 2020:

1. Binaural
    2. No Code
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Yield
    5. Ten
    6. Riot Act
    7. Vs.
    8. Vitalogy
    9. Backspacer
    10. Lightning Bolt

HM: Live on Two Legs.

I love all the top 9, I don't mind a full listen of Lightning Bolt on a good day.

Too early to do this with Gigaton. Gotta let it breathe for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

1. Ten
    2. No Code
    3. Vs
    4. Yield
    5. Vitalogy
    6. Riot Act
    7. Lost dogs
    8. binaural
    9. Backspacer
    10. Lightning Bolt

Probably don't count but ............

Live in atlanta dissident 1994,the sound from it is incredible, and the den haag holland (bootleg from 1992 its a classic imo)

Advertisement