Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age to start school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It’s far easier to hold a child back before they’ve started than when they are in school and have made friends.

I think you have to look at things at the other end, when they are doing their leaving cert and going to college. If they do a course which involves them having to do work experience which requires Garda vetting, they won’t be able to take part in that as a person has to be 18 to be vetted.

Also, from the point of view of going out with their college mates and living away from home they are far better off being that year older.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

It’s far easier to hold a child back before they’ve started than when they are in school and have made friends.

I think you have to look at things at the other end, when they are doing their leaving cert and going to college. If they do a course which involves them having to do work experience which requires Garda vetting, they won’t be able to take part in that as a person has to be 18 to be vetted.

Also, from the point of view of going out with their college mates and living away from home they are far better off being that year older.

It's interesting that a few posters have mentioned the problems younger students might have when they're older. I wouldn't have thought of it but I was 17 going to college and away from home, it didn't cause any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's interesting that a few posters have mentioned the problems younger students might have when they're older. I wouldn't have thought of it but I was 17 going to college and away from home, it didn't cause any issues.

Depends on when you went. I was also 17 when I went and there were no issues. But things were a lot more relaxed back then. There were happy hours, which are now illegal, with reduced prices for students and there was no such thing as checking for ID. So you never missed out on any of the social events which are an important part of the student life. That is not the case now.

jester77 wrote: »
    Depends on when you went. I was also 17 when I went and there were no issues. But things were a lot more relaxed back then. There were happy hours, which are now illegal, with reduced prices for students and there was no such thing as checking for ID. So you never missed out on any of the social events which are an important part of the student life. That is not the case now.

My son being underage for 6 months of college isn't a compelling reason for me to start him later in school. Besides in 15 years time god knows what student drinking habits are like ;) Nowadays they all seem to drink at home because they're so broke!

I think I'll just see how capable he is in dealing with the practicalities of big school like putting on his shoes, coat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Your child may be as bright as a button, but most inevitably even out academically wise after the year in JI.
    If your Montessori or playschool say to keep him there, then pay heed to this.
    You also need to be aware that if there are any issues raised academically and he needs intervention, this will take its toll as he gets older and he ends up being at the younger end of the class. Repeating is nearly almost out of the question in primary.
    Secondary is a minefield.
    Parties, discos, age restrictions, social interaction etc, he will be friends with the majority being older, so the potentially will be 16.5years old attending 18 year old birthday parties.
    Just because our child is bright academically, doesn't mean he'll be ready for the world at 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cuddlepunk

With my older children who are in their 20's now I started them in school when they were 5 (almost 6, October birthdays) they were always very advanced with their school work but where I found difficulty was when they were older and started hitting puberty before all their classmates etc. I started my younger 2 children just before they were 5 and both were able for the school work (well able) but we didn't have the same difficulty when they were older (ie. hitting puberty before the other children etc) Also my older children were over 18 when they finished school and it was just awkward.

airy fairy wrote: »
    Your child may be as bright as a button, but most inevitably even out academically wise after the year in JI.
    If your Montessori or playschool say to keep him there, then pay heed to this.
    You also need to be aware that if there are any issues raised academically and he needs intervention, this will take its toll as he gets older and he ends up being at the younger end of the class. Repeating is nearly almost out of the question in primary.
    Secondary is a minefield.
    Parties, discos, age restrictions, social interaction etc, he will be friends with the majority being older, so the potentially will be 16.5years old attending 18 year old birthday parties.
    Just because our child is bright academically, doesn't mean he'll be ready for the world at 17.

Not ready for the world at 17 but ready at 18? I know 30 something year olds who still struggle!

I don't know if my son is brighter than other children, he's just a normal 3 year old. I wouldn't send him if he's not ready or if his preschool advise against it. But if I think he's ready there seems to be an argument to still wait till he's 5?

The dilemma is if he ended up losing a place in a local school where his friends will go and goes to school a year later? Maybe to a different school miles away from the social group he knows.

I went to a different primary school than the rest of the children in my area as it suited my parents commute but it meant all my friends were in another town. That's not ideal either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I ran the numbers though and my lad will be 17 in LC and turning 18 in the January of LC. That’s perfect in my opinion. Albeit I’m massively pro TY and he will be doing it unless something goes massively weong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My son was born mid Jan and I wanted him in sooner than later. So he started at 4.5 and recently went 5. To be honest, he's fighting it now, but he would have absolutely hated being the oldest kid in creche, finished with montisorri and not an "after schooler." He would have been frustrated to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Personally I generally agree with starting the year they turn 5, but the problem is when your children are born around the boundary line. I started school at just turned 4, LC at 16 and 4 yr degree finished at 20. I wouldn't do it again. I was a quiet, non streetwise kid from a quiet-life family and although I was one of the smartest in the school I really struggled socially from secondary on, just felt out of my depth, that everyone else seemed so much older than me - I just wasn't ready for alcohol and boys when everyone else was.
    A child should not be bored in school or preschool whatever their age or ability (doesn't always happen). If they're highly intelligent then at 5 they'd probably be at the top of the class whether it's JI or SI.
    Mine all started at 4, but they were nov, dec and start of jan. I did think for a bit about the jan lad but he's the third, intelligent, capable, perfectly sociable, etc and I knew he'd be fine. I knew it because the older two have their own extra challenges, especially socially (starting a year later wouldn't have made a difference) and I could see that number 3 was years ahead of where the others were. I also have teachers in friends and family who all agreed he should start. He's in 1st class and many of his classmates are only turning 7 this month and last.

Another consideration is does the school have an age cut off. When a school is oversubscribed and too many fall into the same criteria on the enrolment policy then usually an age cut off is applied. We don't have one in our school as they aren't oversubscribed, they fill 5 classes and if they've enough over they usually fill a 6th. The next nearest school has their date back as far as November this year because of so many applicants. So children born after November won't be offered a place but will be top of the list the following year. So OP's child wouldn't be offered a place in that school to start at 4 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's not now OP, it's the other end of primary school that you will see the problems.January is a very borderline month, although as someone else says, it does depend on your school's age cut-off too-it's November around here.I always think you will do them less harm sending them older, than younger.It's kind of all relative too, if a large majority of the class are 5 by the time they go in in September then he will always be in the younger end of the class, and always be trying to catch up (I don't mean academically).

I would be very much on the side of sending them at 5 too, and I think with the two ECCE years, kids are that bit older going in.It doesn't matter how bright he is.It's the social and emotional development that is the key thing-can he take no for an answer, can he handle not winning games, can he handle someone doing something he doesn't like, can he listen and follow an instruction, can he open his lunchbox himself,put on his coat himself....all that stuff.All of the kids in my little one's preschool are showing the same interest in counting, numbers, letters, writing etc, but most of them will be 5 going into JI.They will all start from scratch no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Some good comments and things I hadn’t thought about. Still haven’t made a decision but I’m hoping the poster that said ‘any decision will end up being the right decision’ is correct. I have a feeling they are. We’re orobably making too big a deal of the whole thing. He’ll adapt either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Our DD is May baby. She turned 4 in 2017, and started Junior Infants the end of Aug/beg September (she was around 4years 3.5months). She's the youngest of 4 children, and was so eager to start Big School, that the transition for her was easy. Academically she was ahead for her age in preschool, and I knew she would get bored if she stayed another year there, and that could affect her going forward, as she'd just expect every grade after that to be super easy. I knew, she was ready for Big School, as personality wise she's a social butterfly, and academically we knew she was well prepared (she's similar to your fella), plus she was hounding us to go! She's now in Senior Infants, and will be turning 6 in May, and still enjoys school & her friends.

Basically OP you know your child and how they are academically & what their personality is. Reading your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you the answer, but you're just overthinking it. I say, if you think your child is ready, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Just to bring up stuff that hadn’t been mentioned yet from the social side: things like football or soccer and age matter. So I have a 6.5 year old with a July birthday and was ready for school when she started at 5 socially: academically she struggles a bit but that would have been the case no matter what. She started soccer this year and no one under 2012 was allowed start: they don’t take them. So I have a 5 year old who will be starting in Sept: if I had started her this year (March birthday) she wouldn’t be able to do soccer with her friends next year as she would have been too young. Similarly football: she would be under 6s next year whereas the majority would be under 8s. She would have been almost a full year younger than most in her class: she is academically streets ahead of where her sister was, but socially I knew it would have continued for years where she would have been behind where her friends are in terms of clubs etc. And whereas that might not be an issue everywhere it certainly would be for her.... not that I would have been comfortable with her being a full year younger anyway. And it’s not something I realised until this year either when one of my little girls friends couldn’t play soccer because she is too young. They are all in senior infants and I know it’s extra curricular stuff but it may or may not be a consideration for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn’t really worry about how bright your child. To be honest, an awful lot of people think their child is exceptionally bright, especially if their speech seems above average. My eldest boy was a real talker, great memory, always seemed to be really on the ball, it did even out a lot in the infant classes. He’s certainly not bottom of the class, but I doubt they’re in the staff room at break time discussing bringing in Mensa now!

The social stuff is way more important at that age, and there’s lots and lots of good points on the thread. You know your own child best at the end of the day. It is good to be guided on other kids and their ages too, at either end of the system. The point above on extra curricular activities is a good one, your child may feel left out if everyone in his class is a different age group for sports.
    I think it is harder with the jan and feb birthdays though, I know of a few people who aren’t availing of the second ecce year, but sending kids to school at 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not sure why people are saying he will be the youngest.. ours started school at 4 1/2 with March birthdays and neither of them are the youngest.

Our decisions were part financial and part ability. We simply couldn’t afford creche for the extra years at the time and the kids were well able. They are both thriving at school, no issues socially or acedemically.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

poppies2 wrote: »
    And mine was the same age starting and it was a total disaster! We really should have left them start the following year.

OP you will have for and against probably 50/50 no matter who you ask. What was said to me is you may regret starting younger but you rarely regret waiting a year. If there's the option to do a second year in preschool I would take it. My third could have started last year at 4 (June baby) and she is way ahead of what my May child was but I still waited and am very happy with my decision. I do think with the extra free ECCE year kids are a lot older starting now. My youngest would have been in a class where the average are turning 6 now, so quite a big gap.

Big difference between a June and January baby though. From March onwards it’s a no brainer to keep the child until 5. The border months are Dec - Feb. And decision should be taken based on the child’s readiness. Not arbitrary timelines set by people on the internet

pwurple wrote: »
    Not sure why people are saying he will be the youngest.. ours started school at 4 1/2 with March birthdays and neither of them are the youngest.

Our decisions were part financial and part ability. We simply couldn’t afford creche for the extra years at the time and the kids were well able. They are both thriving at school, no issues socially or acedemically.

I think it’s because of the way the ecce has changed, particularly this year. If kids take up the two years of the ecce, anyone born after January will be 5& 9 months starting. Up to last year, it was configured a bit differently

There’s probably plenty like us tho, ours was due April start but started in September or there’d have been no place and we paid. So he’ll have had two full years of playschool and is still starting at 4 years 7 months

Edit: for this year at least. They moved everyone to September start dates after that

There’s probably plenty like us tho, ours was due April start but started in September or there’d have been no place and we paid. So he’ll have had two full years of playschool and is still starting at 4 years 7 months

Edit: for this year at least. They moved everyone to September start dates after that

Lots of people did this I think. Even this year, with the September start, but the earlier birthday, I know people who are paying for preschool for year one, getting a free year for year two and sending kids to national school at 4.5. I think the only way it will ever change fully is if the schools actually make it policy and the DoE decides where the cut off should be and enforce it

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Lots of people did this I think. Even this year, with the September start, but the earlier birthday, I know people who are paying for preschool for year one, getting a free year for year two and sending kids to national school at 4.5. I think the only way it will ever change fully is if the schools actually make it policy and the DoE decides where the cut off should be and enforce it

I agree tbh. I mean both schools I was applying for automatically put him down for when he was 4 years rather than 5 years. I had made that decision anyways but if you hadn’t been paying attention that’s when they’d have started

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Looking for a bit of advice, maybe from some parents who have been in a similar situation.

My DS will be 4 1/2 this September and we don’t know whether to start him in school this year or next.

I’m not trying to boast or anything, but he is extremely bright. His preschool teacher said his level of ability in language etc is exceptional. Socially he’s pretty capable i.e. he likes playing with other kids. However, he can be quite cranky, and irritable at times e.g. . So, I’d imagine he won’t be the most popular child. But my hunch is that’s just his personality and a year won’t change it.

I’ve read all the stuff about kids being better off starting school later rather than sooner. But my question is, does that necessarily apply to a very bright child? Would they perhaps be better starting school earlier? We are so good to soak up information when we are young, is it better to keep a child challenged in terms of learning.

I don’t try to teach him anything at home. But recently he’s started taking an interest in words and alphabet, and wants to start writing letters by himself. He can also count objects very well up to about 20. Looking at the junior infants curriculum, it only has counting to 5.... does this mean school will be very dull for him? I loved school and learning always, and I want him to find the same joy in it.

His preschool is excellent by the way, but it’s obviously very play based with little emphasis on formal learning. I’m just afraid if we hold him back that he’ll be bored next year, and he won’t get to take advantage of those precious early years when you can develop a real love of learning.

Any advice/ comments welcome?
    We’re very confused and undecided!!

Thanks

Definatley the older (within reason!) the better. My 16 yo son is the eldest in transition year and it's definitely benefited him. My brother was the youngest and had to stay back a year. Both were born around august/september.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

soc wrote: »
    Our DD is May baby. She turned 4 in 2017, and started Junior Infants the end of Aug/beg September (she was around 4years 3.5months). She's the youngest of 4 children, and was so eager to start Big School, that the transition for her was easy. Academically she was ahead for her age in preschool, and I knew she would get bored if she stayed another year there, and that could affect her going forward, as she'd just expect every grade after that to be super easy. I knew, she was ready for Big School, as personality wise she's a social butterfly, and academically we knew she was well prepared (she's similar to your fella), plus she was hounding us to go! She's now in Senior Infants, and will be turning 6 in May, and still enjoys school & her friends.

So surprised at this, she wouldn't have been let into schools where we are with a May birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’ve a feb baby and have decided to wait till he’s gone 5 for a number of reasons. He’s only going to be young once so I want to let him have another year to just play. Socially I’d prefer him be on the older side. Same for sports. Also, down the line when he’s a bit older I don’t want to be always having to say he can’t do the things his older friends are doing so from that point of view I’d prefer he be one of the older ones. I don’t even mean things like going out but being able to walk home from school on their own / hang out at weekends etc. Plus I think being a bit older when making decisions on subjects to study for the leaving cert / what courses to apply for in college won’t hurt.

Plus I think that with the way things are going with social media etc the maturity that an extra year could bring may be of benefit.

While a lot of children seem to be older due to the 2 year ecce, I’ve been told by my crèche that a lot of kids in their care are heading to school at 4 to 5 rather than 5 to 6 as crèche is still expensive even with the ecce funding taken off the monthly payments. For us it does mean our son may see some of his friends move on without him but I’m sure he’ll make new ones.

To be honest, a few from my little one's playschool class moved on last year, and she managed it.

Mine are April, May and June babies and they will all be waiting til they are 5 before they go, regardless of their abilities.However I do think January is definitely a very borderline month, it can be a tough one to call.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have February and March babies. Because we live in the UK I have to start them at 4 1/2 as the law here states that children must be in school the term after their 5th birthday. I suspect my older boy may struggle a little - he has just turned 3 and is a little immature for his age.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It will probably depend on the child. Ours we felt was better suited to going a couple of months after his 5th birthday, but I know parents who sent their daughter in at barely 4 as she was raring to go and she is now thriving.

The age at which they sit exams as teens is a consideration. Granted you don't want them being 19 doing the Leaving but you don't want them doing it at 16 either (which happened a lad I went to school with as he turned 17 during the summer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Free year? Lads, it's still 800-900 per month, and more in the summer. It's 3 hours a day. None of the ECCE places around here let them in for jsut that amount, you've to top up to more hours, whether you take them or not.

Free year. It's €10,000 euro a year, pretty far from what I consider free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Plenty of preschools around where I am that you just drop off at beginning of session and collect at end and there's no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

tscul32 wrote: »
    Plenty of preschools around where I am that you just drop off at beginning of session and collect at end and there's no charge.

Me too. I haven’t paid a cent for either of mine.

Advertisement