Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

pigtown wrote: »

Looking good! Anyone know when the works should be complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

August is set as the unveiling date afaik.
    Everything should be in place by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

August is set as the unveiling date afaik.
    Everything should be in place by then.

Never knew it had been pushed back to August. The signs that were up by the road originally said some date in May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kess73 wrote: »
    Never knew it had been pushed back to August. The signs that were up by the road originally said some date in May.

The first signs said the road would be closed for 3 months from November to January. These were then replaced by signs saying closed till April.
    I had a walk down there last week and while they've started laying paving at either end of the works, they haven't started on the boardwalk yet. August would be a push at the rate they seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

The first signs said the road would be closed for 3 months from November to January. These were then replaced by signs saying closed till April.
    I had a walk down there last week and while they've started laying paving at either end of the works, they haven't started on the boardwalk yet. August would be a push at the rate they seem to be working.
    Judging by how handy the lads on the orange hats were taking in the video I'd say August is probably right!!

• Advertisement

The lights on Sarsfield Bridge are almost all back in action now.

The ones on the right hand side heading towards town look great at night!

From Limerick's Live95fm...
    Work is due to begin later this month on a controversial new bus route on the Ballinacurra Road.

Limerick City Council has appointed John Cradock Construction Limited as the main contractor for the first phase of the Limerick Southern Green Route.

It includes a bus lane and street improvement works from the Crescent Shopping Centre to the Ballinacurra Road junction with Childer's Road.

The project has been dogged by opposition from residents living along the route since it was first drawn up by the local authority in 2008.

Limerick City Council say an extensive public consultation process has been undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

It's about time. 5 years is a ridiculous delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

This bus lane is not needed, it is a complete waste of money bringing in bus lanes for empty taxis to use, they serve no purpose but to delay every one else using the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

steveon wrote: »
    This bus lane is not needed, it is a complete waste of money bringing in bus lanes for empty taxis to use, they serve no purpose but to delay every one else using the road.

How exactly do they delay everyone else? Its not like we'll be losing a lane of inbound traffic for the bus lane.

All that will be lost is parking, there'll still be one lane of traffic into the city and one lane of traffic out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Can imagine the nigtmare during the building of it.I use the bus and in fairness it flows very well,id prefer the bus service improvement and replanned better

source wrote: »
    How exactly do they delay everyone else? Its not like we'll be losing a lane of inbound traffic for the bus lane.

All that will be lost is parking, there'll still be one lane of traffic into the city and one lane of traffic out.

As they make the rest of the road too narrow as a result, no chance of overtaking even a bike as I wouldnt expect any bike to be riding against a footpath as all the road debris gets pushed into the bike lanes which shouldnt be the same level as the road.

In Castletroy they have ruined the road, especially at the junction of the golf link roads. They then got rid of half the buses once the bus lane was introduced, secondly it is illegal to drive through a bus lane...and therefore the bus lane is meant to stop and begin before and after each and every entrance to a home etc....this has not been done on any of the bus lanes in this country. There is no need for a bus lane going out to the crescent, it takes 5 mins by bus to get to the cresent from punches cross a bus lane will not make this journey any quicker so its not needed, spend the money on road repairs ..

As they make the rest of the road too narrow as a result, no chance of overtaking even a bike as I wouldnt expect any bike to be riding against a footpath as all the road debris gets pushed into the bike lanes which shouldnt be the same level as the road.

In Castletroy they have ruined the road, especially at the junction of the golf link roads. They then got rid of half the buses once the bus lane was introduced, secondly it is illegal to drive through a bus lane...and therefore the bus lane is meant to stop and begin before and after each and every entrance to a home etc....this has not been done on any of the bus lanes in this country. There is no need for a bus lane going out to the crescent, it takes 5 mins by bus to get to the cresent from punches cross a bus lane will not make this journey any quicker so its not needed, spend the money on road repairs ..

While I don't have much experience with the Ballinacurra Rd. I actually think the Dublin Road is a massive improvement to what was there.

Actually the minimum lane width will be 3m which is wide enough for 50kmph traffic. The lane width on a motorway is only 3.5m.
    There is no need for a bus lane going out to the crescent, it takes 5 mins by bus to get to the cresent from punches cross a bus lane will not make this journey any quicker so its not needed, spend the money on road repairs ..

Well it's lucky that there wont be a bus lane out to the Crescent then isn't it? It a continuation of the inbound lane that currently stops at the city/country boundary.

Actually the minimum lane width will be 3m which is wide enough for 50kmph traffic. The lane width on a motorway is only 3.5m.

Well it's lucky that there wont be a bus lane out to the Crescent then isn't it? It a continuation of the inbound lane that currently stops at the city/country boundary.

no matter which way it goes there no need for it, waste of money, let all traffic move in it then there are no traffic jams and every1 gets there on time. I have to use the road for my job and am sick of empty taxis which are not supposed to use bus lanes fly pass me in them and then pull out at the end doing 10mph lookin for a fare..

I'm still not seeing how a bus lane on one of the widest streets in the city will negatively affect traffic. The bus lane on the Condell Road didn't negatively affect traffic, nor did the one on the Dublin Road and if anything, Ballinacurra Road is more suited to a bus lane than either of those.

Also bus lanes aren't always 24 hour operations. The one on the Ennis Road is only a bus lane between 0830-1030 and 1630-1830. Most people don't realise it's open to regular traffic outside those hours.

source wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing how a bus lane on one of the widest streets in the city will negatively affect traffic. The bus lane on the Condell Road didn't negatively affect traffic, nor did the one on the Dublin Road and if anything, Ballinacurra Road is more suited to a bus lane than either of those.

Also bus lanes aren't always 24 hour operations. The one on the Ennis Road is only a bus lane between 0830-1030 and 1630-1830. Most people don't realise it's open to regular traffic outside those hours.

Actually if the story on the Limerick Leader website is correct, then it would appear that the bus lane on the Ballinacurra road is now going to make the road a tighter squeeze for vehicles than it currently is.

They are now saying that the parking spaces on both sides of the road will be remaining where they are and that the bus lane and two lanes for general traffic will be going where there is currently two lanes in use.

Whatever way it turns out I reckon the South Circular road and the rosbrien road along with the various housing estates near them are going to be swamped with traffic from this coming Monday once work starts on the Ballinacurra road.

Must see if I can find out a little more about the parking space story as my mother lives on the Ballinacurra road and would have been at the various meetings between the residents and council (was at a few with her but cannot recall any where it was confirmed that the spaces would stay on the side of the road.

Actually if the story on the Limerick Leader website is correct, then it would appear that the bus lane on the Ballinacurra road is now going to make the road a tighter squeeze for vehicles than it currently is.

They are now saying that the parking spaces on both sides of the road will be remaining where they are and that the bus lane and two lanes for general traffic will be going where there is currently two lanes in use.

Whatever way it turns out I reckon the South Circular road and the rosbrien road along with the various housing estates near them are going to be swamped with traffic from this coming Monday once work starts on the Ballinacurra road.

Must see if I can find out a little more about the parking space story as my mother lives on the Ballinacurra road and would have been at the various meetings between the residents and council (was at a few with her but cannot recall any where it was confirmed that the spaces would stay on the side of the road.

I believe the plan now, is to narrow the footpath in sections to allow parking bays for residents cars, similar to what is on Thomas St but on a larger scale.

This will still leave almost 3m per lane.

Also of course there will be disruption during the construction phase, after that it will be the same for traffic and better for buses.

The plans are available on the council website here. They only show parking on one side of the road. It may have changed since these plans were posted, but then again the Leader isn't known for accuracy.

The plans are available on the council website here. They only show parking on one side of the road. It may have changed since these plans were posted, but then again the Leader isn't known for accuracy.

Those are the old plans it appears. Spoke to the mother since and it seems that concessions have been made regarding parking spaces save for those where the bus stops will go.

Hope the new bus lane brings on the huge increase in bus passengers that a few of the councillors claimed it would though, and the big boost to the city centre economy a local councillor made claims of.

Don't see how a new bus lane would do such a thing, but then again with the proven track record the local experts have with regards to the booming city centre I guess it is a certainty. :)

Might make the journey away from the Crescent shopping centre a bit faster alright for those who have shopped there I suppose, but for workers travelling to the crescent shopping centre, or to the Raheen industrial estate etc there will be no benefit in terms of travel time as there will be no outbound bus lane.

Just seems a bit half assed to say a bus route needs a bus lane due to how busy it is, and then only have a bus lane for some of the journey one way. Surely if a route was so in need of bus lanes, it would have made sense to have had one in either direction to maximise savings on travel times. Then again maybe the plan is to tear up the road to build it one way, and then come back and tear up the road in a few years to build one the other way. Why do a job in one go when you can double your costs by doing it in two goes.

• Advertisement

I saw the lamp stands on Sarsfield bridge today. It's great they were revamped but I'm not so sure about the new colour. It's hard to describe a colour but it's a darker blue than what they were while still not being dark blue, if that makes any sense.

Also someone has cleaned the 1916 monument on the bridge. It's a really good job and looks brand new. I think this sculpture should be relocated to a pedestrianised O'Connell St. Not so much because of what it stands for, more the fact that it's one of the more impressive statues in he city and it's hidden away where it is now.

I saw the lamp stands on Sarsfield bridge today. It's great they were revamped but I'm not so sure about the new colour. It's hard to describe a colour but it's a darker blue than what they were while still not being dark blue, if that makes any sense.

Also someone has cleaned the 1916 monument on the bridge. It's a really good job and looks brand new. I think this sculpture should be relocated to a pedestrianised O'Connell St. Not so much because of what it stands for, more the fact that it's one of the more impressive statues in he city and it's hidden away where it is now.

Would have to agree. It is an impressive looking statue, and really should be in a more prominent position so that it has substantial foot traffic passing it every day rather than substantial motor traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I think O'Connell street should never be pedestrianised. The constant flow of traffic at all times of the day and evening add a buzz and vibrancy to the city centre. Can you imagine what it would be like after six o clock in the evening with no cars on that street?Footfall isn't the best at the moment and removing cars from the main thoroughfare would be the final nail in the coffin for the city centre. I can see some logic in pedestrianising William street as there's more shops..what shops are on O'Connell street. For a pedestrianised street to be successful there has to be good range of shops and restaurants to attract people to the area otherwise you're left with a miserable street with tumbleweed blowing about!O' Connell street certainly doesn't have that range of shops!What they really need to do is start improving the street scape with re modelling works such as the planting of trees, new attractive paving,street furniture and lighting. The creation of traffic calming measures such as speed bumps could also be implemented to make the street more pedestrian friendly. I think that would be a more effective than completely closing off the street to traffic!

I think O'Connell street should never be pedestrianised. The constant flow of traffic at all times of the day and evening add a buzz and vibrancy to the city centre. Can you imagine what it would be like after six o clock in the evening with no cars on that street?Footfall isn't the best at the moment and removing cars from the main thoroughfare would be the final nail in the coffin for the city centre. I can see some logic in pedestrianising William street as there's more shops..what shops are on O'Connell street. For a pedestrianised street to be successful there has to be good range of shops and restaurants to attract people to the area otherwise you're left with a miserable street with tumbleweed blowing about!O' Connell street certainly doesn't have that range of shops!What they really need to do is start improving the street scape with re modelling works such as the planting of trees, new attractive paving,street furniture and lighting. The creation of traffic calming measures such as speed bumps could also be implemented to make the street more pedestrian friendly. I think that would be a more effective than completely closing off the street to traffic!

I'm not convinced. Shops can open and close easily enough while re-modelling a street can only be done every 10-15 years or so. Look at Bedford Row. When it was first announced it would be pedestrianised it was a fairly shabby low key street. Now its firmly in the retail core with lots of high street brands. An alternative could be to pedestrianise it by day and open it in the evening. Like Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I'm not convinced. Shops can open and close easily enough while re-modelling a street can only be done every 10-15 years or so. Look at Bedford Row. When it was first announced it would be pedestrianised it was a fairly shabby low key street. Now its firmly in the retail core with lots of high street brands. An alternative could be to pedestrianise it by day and open it in the evening. Like Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork.

To be honest Bedford Row has improved vastly due to the big development which incorporates about 4 or 5 High street stores e.g Pamela Scott, Schuh etc, the apartments above it and the re-modelling work but not for the retail factor. Going down towards Henry street there's virtually no decent shops on the right side. It looks good but it never looks vibrant when you compare it to pedestrian success stories like Shop street in Galway or Henry and Grafton street in Dublin. O' Connell street reminds me of O'Connell street in Dublin in the fact that it has little to offer in terms of retail value and has more of a selection of takeaways such as McDonalds, Burger King, Eddie Rockets etc. For those reasons I think the street should definitely be left open to traffic but it should without doubt get a face-lift asap.

Does anybody know what is happening at Arthurs Quay? The path is all fenced off near Sarsfield House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Does anybody know what is happening at Arthurs Quay? The path is all fenced off near Sarsfield House.

They seem to be upgrading\extending the bus stop area there.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

Where are the christmas lights on the boardwalk gone? I'm sure I remember lights on the new lamposts and a tree at poormans kilkee last year

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

Does anyone know if work on the Hanging Gardens building on Henry St has resumed?The council bought it last year.
    Also is it possible for the Council to CPO the old Dunnes Building on Sarsfield St?Seems a big chunk of the Limerick 2030 plan can't kick off until that's demolished.

• Advertisement

sleepyman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if work on the Hanging Gardens building on Henry St has resumed?The council bought it last year.
    Also is it possible for the Council to CPO the old Dunnes Building on Sarsfield St?Seems a big chunk of the Limerick 2030 plan can't kick off until that's demolished.

I pass the hanging gardens every day. There doesn't seem to be anything going on yet.

Advertisement