Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB...that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

30/06/2017

An Bru AC 5 Miler

30/06/2017 - Road - 31:41 - AD

My preparation for this race since last update:

Thursday 5-6 pm: 2 x pints Guinness
    Thursday 6-11pm: Green Day concert, soaked wet, miles of walking there & back, 6 x pints Heineken
    Friday: ~1am: 1 x McDonalds Cheesburger and chips
    Friday 2pm: Extra Hot Nando's meal in Liffey Valley
    Friday 3pm-6.30pm: Extremely slow drive back from Dublin...had forgotten what a disaster zone the M50 is :mad:
    Friday 6:31pm : Banana sandwich

So yeah....perfect setup to run a 30 second PB :D

Probably the most consistently paced race I've ever done tbh....all my previous PBs have involved some degree of a second half meltdown:

1) 3:53
    2) 3:59
    3) 3:58
    4) 3:53
    5) 3:59
    6) 3:57
    7) 3:50
    8) 3:54

Pretty pleased with that obviously....glad I didn't wuss out now after my exertions at Green Day.

Feeling fairly fresh this morning all things considered...may do a couple of gentle sessions before Dundrum 10K on Wednesday evening.

02/07/2017

7.15K – Road – 34:05 – AT

A delayed recovery run as I wasn’t able to get out on Saturday at all.

A few aches and niggles in the calves/Achilles after the race but nothing to worry about too much at the moment.

Today is a total write-off – have to drive up home and back for a family funeral so will be 7 hours sitting at my desk and another 5 hours driving. Trying to get away maybe an hour early so have offered to work through lunch. I suspect I may have more aches and niggles after that tbh.

Not ideal leading up to a potential crack at a sub-40 on Wednesday night but as recent history has shown….preparation is over-rated anyway :D

Also picked up a new pair of runners last week.

Have been an Asics Cumulus wearer since 2008 and had fully intended to buy another pair in Kildare Village en route to Dublin last week.

But when I tried them on in the shop...mother of god...they felt awful :eek: Really glad I didn't buy them online like I've been doing for years now without any issues.

Ended up getting a pair of Asics Gel Flux instead - they have less cushioning but I think they can fill the gap in my shoe roster for the time being (they were also half the price!). Will be using them mainly for slower and slightly longer runs (10-12 milers)

05/07/2017

3K – Threadmill – 14:55 – SK

A very gentle session to blow off any cobwebs ahead of the 10K in Dundrum (Tipperary) tonight.

Did some core, stretching etc as well so should be all set.

Feeling uncharacteristically confident I have to say – although wary that the lack-of-stamina-plus-heat combo is lurking in the background.

I’ve ran this course 3 times before and never got it right so fingers crossed it goes well tonight and I can sneak under the 40 mins barrier

05/07/2017

Coillte (Dundrum AC) 10K

10K - Road - 39:38 - AD

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Absolutely fupping delighted with this - I knew it was a possibility (rather than a probability) so really chuffed to have broken the 40 minute barrier.

It's only my 3rd time actually going sub-40 (says an awful lot about my previous injury profile and race strategy) and is my fastest time in 5 years (ie. since the kids arrived ;))

My immediate preparation was pretty shambolic yet again - the young fella got his finger trapped in a domino dispenser just as I was heading out the door (you literally couldn't make that up) so took a few mins to sort that out. Then I managed to get semi-lost enroute to Dundrum (despite having a satnav) so got there in a bit of a flap.

My warm up basically consisted of running in to register and back to the car and a couple of quick strides. It was a very hot and sticky evening...not a puff of wind so knew it was going to be a bit of a slog one way or the other.

The plan was simple - run each km between 3:50 and 3:59. The course is 2 5K loops and basically flat all the way, so no real need to bank time for hills in the latter stages etc.

1) 3:52
    2) 3:52
    3) 3:59
    4) 4:02
    5) 3:57

Halfway in 19:44 which was pretty much bang on target. Was feeling pretty comfortable but could feel the early signs of fatigue starting to set in.

6) 3:56
    7) 4:01
    8) 4:03
    9) 4:02
    10) 3:49

Well that was a helluva struggle tbh - the fatigue I'd felt at halfway really started to kick in around 7 and 8K (my 5 mile time was a respectable 31:46) - made a couple of minor misjudgements in deciding to slip in behind people who I then realised were running slower than I thought so had to accelerate a bit and try to hang on to the 40 min pace.

Eventually settled in with a mini-group of 4 other lads who seemed to be in the same boat, so an unspoken bond was formed and we peleton-ed our way through to 9K. Got a bit of a second wind then so put whatever hammer I had left down and hit for the finish line. It wasn't until the last corner was turned and I was within sight of the finish line that I could relax mentally and knew the sub-40 was in the bag.

Took a few minutes to cool down and the main feeling that came to the fore was relief.....massive relief. It's been a sh1t year by any metric so really pleased to be back running at something approaching a decent personal standard.

Hopefully I can push on from this now - will take a couple of weeks off racing I think and finally start adding longer runs it. My longest run this year is still 15K and my average weekly mileage is only around 30K (:eek:
    :eek::eek:)

I've been telling myself for years that 2012 was my peak (based on the back of massive London marathon training base) but recent results have shown that the best might yet be to come :)

My forward planning running brain has wisely decided to start looking towards early 2018 and a shot at a few 10 Milers (which I suspect may well be my optimum distance) - Dungarvan, Mallow & Ballycotton are looking like the most likely options.

Anyway, today is most definitely a rest day...might hop on the threadmill tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fantastic performance Cartman, well done. Delighted your training has paid off.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Fantastic performance Cartman, well done. Delighted your training has paid off.

Cheers - I genuinely can't remember being this happy with a result/performance before :)

07/07/2017

8.5K – Road – 42:14 – AF

A gentle lunchtime trot with a work colleague which suited both of us perfectly – he wanted a few easy miles ahead of longer marathon weekend training runs, and I wanted a recovery run after 10K and to break in my new runners (the horribly named Asics Flux).

The shoes felt grand, as did my slightly tight calves and Achilles thankfully.

This is exactly the type of training I wasn’t doing before – previous versions of myself would have probably gone out like an ape trying to run a 4 mile PB or something daft like that.

No major plans for the weekend – had half thought about taking a spin out to Ennis tomorrow to watch my beloved Mayo against Clare but probably won’t be able to make it . Might try a longer-ish run on Sunday evening if all goes to plan.

09/07/2017

12.5K – Road – 57:57 – AF

A fairly non-descript but strangely enjoyable late night Sunday outing.

Neither long enough to be a long run or slow enough to be a slow run – felt good all the same though…this distance was my long-run not so long ago so always good when that distance suddenly becomes a standard easy run.

The Asics Flux are settling in ok – I think I’ll probably end up going back to the Cumulus again before the year is out but they’ll do fine for the minute….or if I’m passing a proper running store I’ll pop in for some assessment/advice.

Today will be a gym workout – planning on doing my long run during the week sometime….will take a spin out to UL some evening. I think my current aversion to long runs might be linked to the routes near my house….very hilly and challenging which is fine for short runs but can wear you down after a while.

I also need to revisit my Achilles rehab exercises – no problems at the minute apart from minor niggles so will nip it in the bud before it develops.

Weigh-in Update:

09/01/2017 - 78.9 kg

16/01/2017 - 76.8kg

23/01/2017 - 77.7kg

11/04/2017 - 76.9kg

10/07/2017 - 76.4kg

Had forgotten about this nearly but after a quick hop on the scales this morning I was impressed to find I'm not a million miles off my dream weight of 75kg.

Not bad going after a day of eating ice-cream and pizza in Ballybunion :D

• Advertisement

11/07/2017

8 x 800m Intervals – Road – AT

Haven’t done these in a while so gave them a go at lunchtime, the first 4 were wind assisted with the second 4 being back into the same wind,

1) 3:11
    2) 3:07
    3) 3:08
    4) 3:11
    5) 3:09
    6) 3:13
    7) 3:08
    8) 3:14

Again, like a lot of my recent training/races, fairly consistent…..even if I did have to work a bit harder on the return intervals.

Not sure on what my next race will be at the moment – seems a long time til the Curraghchase 10K (20/08) so will hopefully find something suitable in the meantime

Cartman78 wrote: »

Not sure on what my next race will be at the moment – seems a long time til the Curraghchase 10K (20/08) so will hopefully find something suitable in the meantime

Did you do Curragh Chase last year? I'm 50/50 on it at the moment as going on holidays at the start of August, although it would be an ideal kick-start after holidays about a month out from the Charleville Half.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Did you do Curragh Chase last year? I'm 50/50 on it at the moment as going on holidays at the start of August, although it would be an ideal kick-start after holidays about a month out from the Charleville Half.

No - I didn't make it in the end....can't remember now what it was but no doubt involved Calpol, a trip to ShannonDoc or some other child related shenanigans :D

It sounds like a tough enough course from what I can gather (?)

After the Ballyhoura Series there seems to be a major gap in the calendar locally...looking slightly further aheadI think the SMRC in October could be a candidate for a crack at a 10K PB

Curragh Chase is tough but I was on course to comfortably crack 50 minutes there last year until a bowel issue kicked in and even then it was 52 minutes. The middle 3km is tough but it is not too bad either side of that then.

I loved SMRC last year, course is ideal and I intend to do it after Charleville with the aim to break 45.

12/07/2017

16K – Road/Grass/Track/Trail – 1:21:17 – AF

My longest run in a hella long time.

Took a spin out to UL after bundling the kids into bed and decided to make full use of the various surfaces that the campus has on offer.

Did about 5K on grass, 3K on trail, 3K on the running track and the rest on road/paths (unfortunately I couldn’t quite incorporate the astroturf, indoor running track and 4G pitches)

It worked out pretty well – I don’t think I’d have been able to run that distance yet on the grueling hills where I live. I had half thought I’d be able to push it out to 18K but actually found it quite mentally tough to run for that long…..I’m sure it’ll get easier again…will stick with ~16K until it becomes easy and then push on.

My right Achilles got a bit stiff around 8K but settled down ok after that…might make a physio appointment for next week just to keep on top of it anyway.

12/07/2017

8K – Threadmill – 32:53 – SK

Felt pretty good after my ‘long’ run – took a break yesterday so thankfully no issues to report re: Achilles….will still go for physio in the next week or two either way.

I ordered a new pair of calf compression guards today - the ones I have are gone a bit baggy so should have the replacements early next week.

Gave it a good lash on the dreadmill today – found it relatively easy tbh….not bad going considering it’s only about a minute outside a 5 Mile race time from a few weeks ago, and over a minute faster than a race time from this time last year.

So, all good in the hood – busy day tomorrow so probably won’t get a run in. Sunday should be grand though.

^^^^
    The date on previous update should be 14/07/2017.....can't edit it now

16/07/2017

12.5K – Road – 55:19 – AF

Another hectic weekend – the tiredness eventually caught up with me on Saturday evening….hit the leaba at 8:30pm to read after putting the kids to bed and nodded off for a 10+ hours mega-sleep. Had a few nights of broken/bad sleep late last week so was feeling a bit pooped.

Did 10K on the bike as well yesterday with a 15kg weight on the back (ie. my 2 year old) shouting and babbling about cows and birds behind me.

It was kinda getting late by the time I got out for a run – felt really fresh and light on the road (for a change) so was aiming for a solid 4:30 min per km pace. Kept it going no bother and was flying up the hills I spend so much time moaning about on here – hit 10K at 44:50 and still felt full of running so decided to up the pace a bit for the last couple of km.

I’d like to say it was because it was getting dark-ish but it was mainly because I was feeling good and wanted to run fast....did the remainder at ~4.00 min per km pace.

Anyway, all going well so far. Will make physio appointment today for later in the week just to loosen out calves/Achilles

17/07/2017

7K – Treadmill – 29:10 – SK

Quick lunchtime session on the dreadmill – ran a steady enough pace for 5K (~21:30) and then the last 2K a bit more swiftly.

Felt relatively easy although I was sweating like a trooper after it.

Have a few things on this week so looking like I may not make it out for a midweek long run – hoping to have physio on Friday evening if possible

Snuffle, sniff etc. :mad::mad:

Had planned a 4 x 2K lunchtime session today but it seems that at the age of 39 my body has decided to develop fupping hayfever……got about 5 minutes sleep last night and generally feeling meh so no point making things worse by hammering out some intervals.

Had a gym day yesterday so did a good solid 30 mins of cardio and some core work.

Physio tomorrow night so this week looking like a bit of a rest week perhaps which mightn’t be a bad thing I guess

20/07/2017

4 x 2K Intervals - Road – AT

Still not feeling great but decided to try a clear my head a bit either way.

The weather was all over the place all morning – cold, wet and windy earlier on but seemed to break around lunchtime and defaulted back to windy and muggy (which sounds improbably but seems to be the norm here in Shannon)

Anyway, there was a varying blustery wind into my face for the first couple of intervals, but got the benefit of it on the way back.

1) 8:10
    2) 8:09
    3) 8:01
    4) 7:59

Didn’t exactly kill myself on these tbh, but a good workout nonetheless.

Had to cancel physio tonight and haven’t rescheduled just yet – my new compression calf guards arrived yesterday so that should keep me going for another bit along with foam rolling and stretches

• Advertisement

21/07/2017

8.20K – Road – 38:08 – AF

Lashing rain, light wind, puddles everywhere – yep…perfect conditions for running :pac:

I’ve always enjoyed running in the rain for some reason...actually find it very liberating and relaxing and it’s especially handy for lunchtime work runs as I don’t end up sweating like a pig at my desk afterwards.

So yeah…enjoyed that I have to say – grand easy run after the intervals yesterday.

Had no particular target in mind other than to run slow-ish. I settled into a nice rhythm early on and ran an overall average of 4:39 per km (including 3 consecutive km’s at exactly 4:39 :D).

Anyway, a bit of a higgledy-piggeldy week on a number of levels. Planning on going to see my beloved Mayo playing Cork tomorrow in the Gaelic Grounds so unlikely to get a run in….although the nervous tension will probably burn off an equal amount of calories. Sunday evening will probably be my next outing.

23/07/2017

10K – Road – 43:50 – AF

This was meant to be a 12.5K tempo run but due to continued domestic chaos (basically, the 2 year old acting like a total loony) it was fairly late when I got out and the overcast conditions meant that it got darker a lot quicker than I had expected.

Ran the first 6K at 4:30 pace but it really started to close in then so had to put on a bit of a spurt for the last few km.

Felt grand and it was good to run off some frustration but it feels like my training has plateaued and isn’t really going anywhere.

The lack of recent races is probably an issue I guess but feels like I’m just going through the motions a bit :confused:

Anyway, sorry for the Monday moan – will try to shake things up a bit this week…will be threadmill this afternoon and hopefully I can get out later in the week for a longish run.

Weigh-in Update:

09/01/2017 - 78.9 kg

16/01/2017 - 76.8kg

23/01/2017 - 77.7kg

11/04/2017 - 76.9kg

10/07/2017 - 76.4kg

24/07/2017 - 76.4kg

Meh...even my flipping weight isn't changing :pac::D

24/07/2017

7K – Threadmill – 28:08 – SK

Quick blast indoors – I’m starting to find this kind of effort relatively easy now so I’m obviously making progress despite all my whinging.

This was originally supposed to be an 8K outing but once again I was under time pressure so had to settle for 7K.

Did some foam rolling, calve exercises and pull-ups too

27/07/2017

8K – Road – 32:37 – AF

Have been addled for the last couple of days with high pollen count, work and domestic shenanigans so running has had to take a back seat.

Made it to the gym for quick sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday (rowing, cross-trainer, core, light weights) – had planned a long run one of the evenings but literally couldn’t get out of the house and was feeling a bit jaded/under the weather anyway.

My sleep has improved thankfully so hopefully turning a corner on that front.

Anyway, set out today with the lofty target of a sub 32:30 in mind.

Wasn’t too far off it in the end and happy enough how it went – I guess I should bear in mind that it’s not long since I ran 32:12 for an 8K race so it’s a fair sign of progress to almost match that on a lunchtime run where I was maybe at 80-85% effort.

Still no suitable races on the immediate horizon – the Mitchelstown 5 Miler is on Friday week so might give it a lash

28/07/2017

7K – Road – 32:55 – AD

A meandering-fartlek-recovery run….quite enjoyed this actually.

Loose goal was to run alternate slow km (@5min per km) and slightly quicker ones (@4:45, 4:30 and 4:15) – stuck to it pretty much and even managed to break the boundaries of my normal route (the industrial estate and airport) by breaking into the outskirts of the metropolis of Shannon 

No major niggles/injuries to report as of yet – don’t want to jinx anything but it’s probably my longest injury-free running stint in a long time.

Heading down to Cork on Sunday for a couple of nights with the family so not expecting (or wanting) to get any running in – might go for a SSR (Short Slow Run) tomorrow evening – other than that it’ll probably be a break until Tuesday/Wednesday

01/08/2017

12.5K – Road – 58:33 – AF

Had a grand few days in Cork – lots of outdoor activities and gawking at both exotic and farm animals, also lots of chips, pizza and ice-cream consumed :pac::pac:

Interestingly, I actually feel as rested and fresh as I have in a long time – the limits of a family room meant that everyone had to go to bed at the same time….maybe going to bed at 8pm is the way forward :cool:

Anyway, did a good bit of driving yesterday so was itching to get a bit of exercise in…did my usual route but anti-clockwise for a change…was amazed at how hilly
    the route actually is….sounds daft I know but the stretches which I thought were flat going clockwise are actually long subtle drags and vice-versa.

Tried to keep it slow and felt ok – had a slight tightness in right Achilles about half way round but it seemed to resolve ok…will be keeping a very close eye on it

02/08/2017

7K – Threadmill – 28:27 – SK

Did a 2K ‘warm-up’ between 13.5 and 14.5 kmph, then 3K at 15 kmph and the last 2K between 15.5 and 17 kmph.

Was kinda aiming for 28 mins but had too much time to make up after the first couple of km’s.

Looking at Mitchelstown 5 Miler on Friday week for my return to racing.

02/08/2017

10K – Road – 47:37 – AF

Set out to run 10 x 4:45kms and almost nailed it apart from the pesky last uphill km:

Split Time
    1 04:46.6
    2 04:42.8
    3 04:43.1
    4 04:44.5
    5 04:44.8
    6 04:42.6
    7 04:45.4
    8 04:46.9
    9 04:45.1
    10 04:55.3

Felt ok for first few km, but then got very tired and hungry all of a sudden. My pre-run fuelling was ok I think so not sure what happened tbh – might have been slightly dehydrated possibly or it might just have been one of those days. Kept the pace going anyway which was good.

Normally wouldn’t run that far at lunchtime but my main boss is on leave for the month, and everyone else has either mentally or spiritually switched off, so will be taking advantage of that scenario for a while. Could really do with changing jobs soon – the current situation is excellent for running and fitness but not sure how much longer I can continue without going bananas from a work/career point of view. Have applied for a couple of things recently so fingers crossed something comes up for me in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement

02/08/2017

4K – Threadmill – 15:27 – SK

Had planned some core, light weights etc and a quick 3K blitz on the threadmill, which morphed into a 4K blitz as I was feeling fresh and full of running.

That’s my first time doing 4 days running in a row (albeit 2 of them indoors) in a very long time – likely to be tied up again with family stuff over the weekend but might get something in.

I guess my training is a bit scattered/unstructured at the minute – the lack of a clear goal or target race is probably the main reason for that I’d say. Still, I’m happy enough to be running injury free and it’s giving me invaluable headspace at the moment.

Will be content to chip away at 5K, 5 Mile and 10K PB’s for the next couple of months and start building a base over the winter for longer races in the Spring.

Advertisement