Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grey skies give way to......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sat 31/08/19 Tullamore half marathon 2:26:38
    Splits: 6:40, 6:49, 6:27, 6:40, 6:56, 6:32, 6:37, 6:41, 6:37, 7:18, 9:23, 6:28, 6:55, 7:00, 6:41, 7:02, 7:14, 7:07, 7:00, 6:54, 6:43, 6:56 (0.16)

Was nervous but excited for this race. Was looking forward to seeing a lot of people I know from running and parkrun at it. I knew I'd get a course pb here, was 2:34 last year but I really wanted a half pb (currently 2:25:35) and my goal was sub 2:25. Had my watch set to 6:50mins/km pacer. Got to the venue just after 10am. Nipped in to collect race number and tshirt and back to the car to get set up. A visit to the toilet, a warm up jog and some stretches and it was off to the start line. Got nestled in quite near the back and we were away.

First km was fine, tried not to get too pulled along with the crowd. 2nd km felt ok-ish but when I looked at my pace after that km and saw it was 6:49 I was a little worried, I thought I would naturally be banking a few seconds in the first few kms. When I look back now much of that km was uphill, you just wouldn't really notice with the crowd. As a result the 3rd km was quicker with the net downhill and me pushing on a bit. At the end of this km I pushed on from the husband as I was going faster than his planned pace. 4th km was grand, passed through a townland with great support out. 5th km starting to feel a little tough with an uphill feeling harder than it probably should, stomach and digestive system starting to feel a bit off.

At the 5th marker there was a guy standing with an empty jellies tub, the joys of being near the pack of the field. Looked at my watch and my little pace band, think I was a minute ahead of pace. 6th km to 9th km I wasn't feeling the most comfortable. I was hoping and praying that there were toilets at the half way mark where the relay changeover was and I think this was why my pace was so good! Wished I had brought a little set of headphones just to distract myself from erm, myself! 10th km was tougher than I expected, the road was climbing sooner than I expected from memory of the route last year. Still a good minute ahead of pace. 11th km - ahhh toilet break. I've never had to use the toilet during a race before. Felt so much better after and felt more comfortable running after that stomach wise for the rest of the race. I just hope I don't ever need to do that again cos I lost probably 2 or 3 minutes here and spoiler alert - cost me my pb and sub 2:25.

12th km I got back going again to make up for lost time. Was hoping I'd see some people ahead that had been running my pace that I could use as target to catch up on but they were all well away. 13th km and who could I see in the distance only my husband - he must have passed me when I was in the loo. I was delighted to see he was doing so well but also I had a target ahead! 14th km and just as I was almost caught up, we got to a water station and himself went for the loo. I took a walking break here and some water from the station. 15th km I think was when the heavens opened. Checked against my pace band at the 15km mark and seen I was a min and a half behind pace. I knew in my heart I wasn't going to be able to make this up. 16km and a bit of a hill but it was fine. 10 mile down, a parkrun to go! 17th km and it was starting to feel a bit harder, legs were getting tired, they seemed to want a little walk at each km, I was getting fed up of water. But in the distance I could see the running club top of a girl I know who must have passed me when I was in the loo. She was my target. 18th km I don't remember!

19th km and I knew by the change of scenery that we were getting closer to town, I was struggling a bit and got great encouragement from marshalls. However at the 19th mark there was a water station and I really hoped they had cola or something but it was just water, I was a little disappointed, I felt I just needed a little something for that last kick. I walked a bit, the legs just felt like they hadn't anything left to give, even a marshal looked concerned and checked was I ok (thank you) I nearly started crying. But I slapped the legs, put the head down and kept going. During the 20th km I was starting to meet those who had finished and were running back the route to extend their long run or to run a friend in. One of the pacers coming back (he had his job done!) joined a woman in front of me, I stuck with them for a bit and then pushed on. I took a very brief walk at 20km but I heard him behind me telling me to move! Thank you, I think I needed that kick! Last full km and I could hear the music from the finish line, come on keep going, you won't have 2:24 or 2:25 on the clock but get 2:26:xx.

The last section is a lap of the outdoor track, 400m. Few people I know at the entrance cheering on. That lap felt like the longest ever, thought I was out of steam but the last 150m I found one last little burst. Greeted with a few hugs as I copped hubbie running onto the track and cheered him in.

Didn't feel the best after. Felt like I was completely expended. Not sure if it was my fueling, perhaps I should carry a little bottle in my flip belt with cola or Lucozade, as I was sick of water by the end of it. Had fruit pastels and jelly beans and little gel blocks on the run. A fab spread laid on in the hall after, I could just manage tea and a sandwich but couldn't stay long as I found it too warm and stuffy and it made me nauseous. Even didn't feel great driving home. But once home, hot tea, a soak in the bath and clean pjs I felt much better.

Recovery - since then my quads have been quite sore, going down the stairs is not fun, calves a bit achy but ok and my right toe is quite sore and blistered. I've resolved to go runner shopping next weekend. My back was sore on Saturday after the race, especially when driving and sitting down which is strange as I've never had that before. I actually feel more sore after this race than after the same race last year! I'm feeling a little subdued - between not getting the finish time I wanted, the toilet break, the soreness after - part of me is now dreading the half I've signed up for in Oct.

(Sorry this post is so long!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I was delighted when I saw your run on Strava, I thought the pacing and time was just great! Sorry you feel disappointed with it, I know only too well that feeling when a run doesn't pan out as you hoped. 2.26 is a great time to do it in, your day for a PB will come, maybe in October. A run like this is a learning curve, you know for the next one to bring earphones, maybe a Lucozade. The toilet stop might have caused you the PB this time but that is one thing we have no control over!

For what its worth I think you did great. Well done.

gypsylee wrote: »
    I was delighted when I saw your run on Strava, I thought the pacing and time was just great! Sorry you feel disappointed with it, I know only too well that feeling when a run doesn't pan out as you hoped. 2.26 is a great time to do it in, your day for a PB will come, maybe in October. A run like this is a learning curve, you know for the next one to bring earphones, maybe a Lucozade. The toilet stop might have caused you the PB this time but that is one thing we have no control over!

For what its worth I think you did great. Well done.
    Thanks a million. And well done on your 5 miler at the weekend.

I was so sore for at least 2 days after the half. I don't recall ever suffering that bad after a run and for so long. My quads especially! The stairs were great fun!

I wasn't going to go to the Mon eve park session but as I had to drop himself to training anyway it was either go for a walk on my own or some company in the park.

Mon 02/09/19 5.6km 41 mins
    The session was 5x1km with 200m recovery. Think I misjudged some of the laps and the buttons on my watch but it won't worry me this time. Just took it handy enough with another girl who also did the half, we just chatted going around and I have to say a stretch of the legs did the job. Legs felt tired but the soreness was lessened. Went for a 2km walk loops of the running track while waiting for himself to finish.

Weds 04/09/19
    Back at juvenile athletics. Got about 1.5km covered while herding kids along the xc course. God love them, they were sluggish after the summer break.

Throughout the week I was getting out for a 20-25 min walk on my lunch break. I'm enjoying getting a bit of fresh air on my lunch hour.

Sat 07/09/2019 5km parkrun 30:13
    Splits: 6:07, 6:20, 6:03, 6:24, 5:44
    Forgive me Father for I have sinned, it's been a month since my last parkrun! In fact, it's been 2 months since I ran my local parkrun. I've either been busy or volunteering. Didn't set out to do a particular time. I started at the back as usual but I couldn't get over the amount of people I passed on my first km. 2nd km struggled up the hill but ran up rather than walked. 3rd km was lovely but trying to keep in mind I was only half way through. 4th km I grabbed my water bottle and took a few sips while walking, then back to running again. There was one woman in front of me, I had passed her earlier but I think she passed me back when I took on some water and I kept her in my sights for the 4th km. I passed her just at the start of the 5th km but she passed me again at 4.5km. Glanced at my time here and saw it was 27:xx, I surely couldn't squeeze in under 30, but certainly 30:xx. I was determined to keep up with her and caught back up with 200m to go. I could sense she was struggling so I encouraged her along as best I could and we crossed the line a few seconds over 30mins. Turns out it was a new pb for her, delighted! Myself, I was equally happy with my run. My 3rd fastest time for my local course and I felt fairly strong throughout the run. And to think I only did a half marathon the week before!

Sun 08/09/19 15km 2hr
    Splits: 7:29, 7:45, 7:57, 7:37, 8:33, 8:49, 8:27, 7:53, 8:06, 8:41, 8:00, 7:44, 8:15, 7:51, 7:37
    A week after my second fastest half marathon and I'm back doing long slow runs again! I had planned on taking it easy the week after the half, it didn't really work out that way but I'm quite enjoying it! A lot of people I know are training for Dublin so I'm kinda getting swept along with the training buzz! But I'm doing Rosemount half marathon the 2nd weekend in Oct and the weekend before it I've something on so I haven't many weekends between now and then to get my long runs done so I figured I might as well do them when I can.
    Himself was doing 30km so we picked a 15km loop and I did the first loop of it with him. I found it to be an enjoyable run and lovely easy pace. Got lost in conversation a few times and the pace crept up. Nice to see a few runners and cyclists about early in the morning, given that we live in a smallish town.

Mon 09/09/2019 8.1km 53:31
    Evening session in the park - 6x400m with 1 minute recovery. Bit of a warm up and paced run beforehand. Felt like the longest 400m of my life! End of the session I had 4.5km on the watch and a bit of time to kill before the child needed collecting so I did a few laps of the outer route of the park to bring up to 8km. From 8pm it was getting dark so thankfully there were other people about but I don't think I'll be staying on in the park after session on my own in future.

Sun 15/09/2019
    Didn't get out for a run all week. Little bit of running on Weds with the kids athletics. I'm getting out for a half hour walk most lunchtimes from work. Missed parkrun on Sat due to a funeral. Sun morn I couldn't schedule a long run as I had an anniversary mass to attend. I had planned on getting a run in the afternoon when my son was going bowling with friends but it was that heavy cold mist that wouldn't entice you to run. So I wrapped up and actually went for a walk instead. Got 9km covered in 1hr45 and it was nice to explore some roadways I've never really been down.

Fri 20/09/2019 10km 1:48hr
    Missed running session on Mon eve. Still getting out for my half hour walks most lunch times. I put my name down for a charity treadmill run and was all happy I could use my watch for it. A warm day with no air conditioning made it tough. I thought I covered more distance than 10km, my set pace on the treadmill for much of it was 7:05min/km. I know I had some walking breaks but not much. Ah look a bit of a run done, and money raised for charity - I'm not converted to treadmills, I think I'd rather run in the rain!

Sat 21/09/2019 5km 30:35
    Splits: 5:44, 6:19, 6:08, 6:41, 5:56
    parkrun no 99 for me! Enjoyed this run although I felt parched for much of it and had to take a mouthful of water every time I passed my bottle (3 times). All thoughts of my long run the following day went out of my head on my run, I really should have taken it easier! But I enjoyed it and it's nice to see 30:xx coming up more often on my 5kms.

Sun 22/09/19 18.5km 2:34hr
    Splits: 8:00, 8:09, 8:42, 8:39, 8:36, 7:56, 8:35, 7:44, 7:54, 7:46, 8:09, 8:37, 8:37, 9:00, 8:37, 8:10, 7:25, 9:04, 7:47 (0.50)
    And this is why I should have taken it easier at parkrun! I drove out to where I'm doing the half in a few weeks time to do a little trial of the course while I have the advantage! Plotted an out path of just over 9km and back along the half marathon route, admittedly the tougher half of it. Parked up and didn't bother stretching - mistake - I could feel the legs tighten and had to stop at 2km to stretch out the calves. On the 4th km the legs just felt very tired, especially the quads and I was thinking I'd done too much in the preceeding 2 days. By 5km the rain had stopped and I left my jacket and hat on a fence to collect later and felt a bit more freer without them. Few nice kms then towards the turning point of a bridge over the cycleway. Turning back the way and we were now running the last 9km of the half marathon. It was tough in spots and it felt harder than last year! Probably not one of my better LSR's but hopefully it will stand to me on the day and that I've now learned that you do need to be properly rested before a long run.

Mon 23/09/19 3.8km 26.20
    In 2 minds about going to the park session, I'd been up to my eyes in work and literally had 15 mins at home before bringing kiddo to training. A session of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 mins running with 2 mins recovery inbetween. Was late and missed the 6 mins bit. Enjoyed the lap button on my watch and looking back on my splits each section my pace was getting quicker as the time was getting shorter which was what was supposed to happen! 5mins: 5:58/km, 4mins: 5:55/km, 3mins: 5:46/km, 2mins: 5:22/km, 1min: 4:43/km. 4!! Don't think I've ever seen that on my watch before! And after plenty of running the past few days I was mighty happy with that!

Looking forward to my 100 parkrun this weekend and trying to squeeze in a long run and possibly a local charity run. Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the 100 Parkruns - some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Mon 23/09/19 3.8km 26.20
    In 2 minds about going to the park session, I'd been up to my eyes in work and literally had 15 mins at home before bringing kiddo to training. A session of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 mins running with 2 mins recovery inbetween. Was late and missed the 6 mins bit. Enjoyed the lap button on my watch and looking back on my splits each section my pace was getting quicker as the time was getting shorter which was what was supposed to happen! 5mins: 5:58/km, 4mins: 5:55/km, 3mins: 5:46/km, 2mins: 5:22/km, 1min: 4:43/km. 4!! Don't think I've ever seen that on my watch before! And after plenty of running the past few days I was mighty happy with that!

Looking forward to my 100 parkrun this weekend and trying to squeeze in a long run and possibly a local charity run. Hmmm...

Love that buzz :D And you know if you can run that pace for 1min then with some training you can run it for 2mins and if you can run it for 2mins well then..... you know where i'm going with this, right :D

Enjoy your 100th, brilliant achievement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Enjoy your 100th parkrun tomorrow, a fantastic achievement

Sat 28/09/19 21.38km 2:31:24
    Splits: 7:00, 7:14, 7:30, 7:13, 7:16, 7:54, 7:06, 7:10, 6:58, 6:42, 7:13, 6:51, 7:31, 6:47, 6:38, 7:36, 7:00, 6:31, 6:45, 7:10, 6:53, 6:14 (0.3)
    Yeah I kinda ended up running a half marathon distance....
    It was a weekend with a lot on and trying to do everything - kid's birthday, a local 5k run on sunday, my 100 parkrun, long run for half marathon training - how to fit everything in.
    So I decided to get up really early Sat morn, run 15km before parkun, do parkrun, then I would be freed up to run the 5km the next day.
    I was a little late getting parked up for my long run. It was just starting to get bright at 7:15 am when I started out. I had a 7km route planned out and to come back along and then approx. 1km to the parkrun start. I've never done a run before parkrun so I was worried I'd misjudge the time and be too late. Usually my watch shows distance and pace but I switched it to actual time as I was so conscious I was going to mess it up. I just ran along so not paying any attention to my pace and enjoying it. The only walks I took were not cos I needed a breather or my legs were tired but because I was trying to change the music on my phone. It was such a lovely run as the morning was breaking, town was quiet, few spits of rain, few people about heading to watch the rugby, the smell of rashers and sausages cooking.
    Made it to parkrun around 9:10 and just over 15km. Rather than stand around waiting and getting cold, I did a couple of slow laps around with my son to keep warm, next thing I knew I'd just over 16km done and realized if I added on the parkrun I'd have a half marathon - sure why not!
    Started off parkrun at much the same pace I had been running at. Definitely noticed the legs were a bit more tired than they usually are when starting parkrun, I just went with it. It was amazing how the previous 16km went to the back of my mind and I just concentrated on parkrun! Someone I know was running their first parkrun so I ran with them for a bit for company and encouragement. It was only when I glanced at my watch with 1.5km to go in parkrun that I seen I was near 20km and nearly over the worst of it in a half marathon - I've found from 17km to 20km in a half tough physically and mentally and parkrun distracted me from it! So head down and keep up with the person in front of me and keep another in behind me! It really helped that I knew the course and could concentrate on it. Crossing the line for my 100 parkrun I stopped my watch to see I had a moving time of 2:31 (elapsed time of 2:50) - sure that around what my first half marathon time was! I felt really happy with how that went, I felt largely comfortable and it feels like I'm ready now for the half. I'm just hoping that my digestive system plays ball on the day!

Sun 29/09/2019 4.85km 29:47
    Splits: 5:53, 6:11, 6:22, 6:03, 6:08 (0.85)
    There was a local 5km run on that I'd missed the last few years and I really wanted to run because it's for a good local cause. So that's one of the reason I moved my long run to Sat morning, I hadn't a stab at a 5km in ages and as this was along the cycleway I thought it would be a good punt for sub 30 mins. However I left home late and was panicked about where to park as I wasn't sure where was free parking on a Sunday and I'd forgotten to bring change. So I rushed to the start, didn't bother bringing water and was gasping. Got a drink at the registration area thankfully. Started off and it was a little crowded but went with it. Once we got onto the cycleway it stretched out a bit. After 1km it was started to feel a little hard, the sun was out, it was warm and I wished I brought a water bottle with me. Just after the 2km mark there was a water station and I got a little held up here as it was crowded. I grabbed a cup of water rather than a bottle, took a few mouthfuls and squeezed the top of it shut which was a bit awkward to run with! Got to the turning point for the 5km, you could carry on for the 10km but I hadn't even one interest in it, I was very thankful to be turning. There was a bit more shade along the other side of the cycletrack. Few more walking breaks to take on water, I couldn't jog and drink from the cup. I resigned myself to not breaking 30 mins, I had just run 21km the previous day. Caved in and walked at 4km. I seen the time and figured I should at least try and get under 31 mins or get as near to 30 mins and sure we only had 1km to go. Crossed the finish line only for the watch to read 4.85km and I really couldn't have been bothered running on to round up to 5km. At the end of the day it was run for charity and was a fairly ok run considering the mileage the previous day - so I'll take it as a good run.

A quieter week running wise than it should have been. I think with the pressure of long runs off my back I stepped off the gas a bit.
    It took me ages to figure out why I didn't run on Monday - it was lashing rain, the session was cancelled and when I drop the kid at training I was in no humour to go walking in the rain, so I went to a nearby hotel and had tea and a read of my book in the lobby.
    Busy weekend in Center Parcs with cross training - cycling, kayaking, water park, eating!

Sun 06/10/2019 5.5km 39 mins
    Splits: 7:10, 7:30, 7:00, 7:06, 7:03, 6:36 (0.5)
    Had some spare time in Centre Parcs and wasn't in the humour for the water park so I laced up my runners and got out for a run. Went around the outer housing sections of the park, turned in for a loop around the lake and back out around the road to the lodge. It was only to be an easy run anyway but it didn't feel that easy.
    Only found out after there was another route I could have went further out and by the forest.

Mon 07/10/2019 4.6km 26:38
    Different location for running tonight. A block or loop to run around 6 times with 1 min rest inbetween. The loop was 750m and my loop splits were as follows: 5:40, 5:29, 5:16, 5:36, 5:32, 5:22.
    Delighted with those splits - ran with another girl and I really made the effort to keep up with her. Would love to be able to run that speed the whole time for a race!

Half marathon is on Saturday. I'm nervous about it. I did surprisingly well at it last year that I'm worried I'm not going to surpass myself this year. This time last week I was raring to go, now I'm not so sure. My throat is sore, I'm tired. On the plus side my 100 parkrun tshirt arrive today!

• Advertisement

Race: Rosemount half marathon 2:21:04 - official time
    Splits: 6:34, 6:34, 6:22, 6:08, 6:25, 6:13, 6:25, 6:35, 6:38, 6:56, 6:18, 6:45, 6:43, 6:44, 6:49, 7:16, 6:44, 6:50, 7:11, 6:56, 6:44, 5:08 (0.1)

The week leading up to the race I was nervous. I had been raring to go after my last long run. But after a supposed easy run the weekend before, I was feeling anxious. I really wanted to know that my time the previous year (and pb) wasn't a fluke and that I wouldn't have the same upset tummy as Tullamore.

Woke early and watched the 1:59 marathon attempt while getting ready, going between the tv and the phone to watch it! Had a good breakfast but a little later than I had planned, hoping it wasn't going to affect me. But I managed to visit the loo and hoped all was good! As soon as Kipchoge crossed the line I was out the front door. Parked up, got myself sorted and walked down the road to the start. Few chats with people I knew, toilet break and a little warm up jog and it was start time.

First km of course was fast. Towards the end of this km I tried to pull the pace back a bit and fell in step with 2 people from the running club. Stayed with them for about 1km but I knew I wouldn't be able to stick at their pace and chat so I let them off gradually. I kept trying to slow down but it was just the pace my feet wanted to run at. I was worried I was going to pay for it later and if I was screwing up my race? I kept M & N in my sights though. I don't know why km4 was so fast, there must have been a bit of a downhill. km5 have a bit of an uphill and then down onto the greenway. The next few kms ticked along nicely, passed by a couple of people. Water station around the 8km mark and M&N were getting further away so I accepted that I was not longer going to try and use them for pace.

Coming up on 10km and I gave in to walk for about 1min. My legs were starting to feel tired, I was getting a bit worried that I'd gone out too fast. But I got going again. Looked at my 10km time and saw it was quite good at 1:05 but still worried it was gonna bite me later! Off the greenway at 10.5km and enjoyed being back on the country roads. But oh fcuk I forgot there was a really tough climb at the 11km point. I tried as much as I could but it got the better of me. After that I knew I was on the roads I had trained but some of the climbs still reduced me to walking pace, it was just easier. I was also struggling to put my flipbelt bottle back in place.

There was a water station at 15km with ice cold water in cups, it was just perfect to refill my bottle. Looked at my time at 15km and 16km and realised that was still ahead of where I projected to be timewise, I'd forgotten to do up a pace band but I was nearly sure I was at a 10mile pb (which it turns out it was!). Started doing maths as to how much distance was left and time to go and what I might finish in. Part of me wanted to ease up a little cos I figured I was well comfortable for sub 2:25 but the other half of me was saying push on as much as you can, maybe get nearer to 2:20 which I hadn't considered...

Kms 16 to 18 felt very long and little climbs now felt like a lot more. Still passed a couple of people along the way. I think I was down to a walk at each km point just to keep me going. I was starting to get quite tired now, as were those around me. Passed a woman around 19.5km and I gave her some words of encouragement and assured her (and myself) that we were nearly there.

I knew once I turned onto the main road it was 750m to the finish line and downhill so I was going to just push it on. But 400m to go and my legs ran out of steam and the road started climbing again and I just couldn't. So like an eejit I walked, but I got going again - I had to. My Monday night coach was just by the entrance with 150m to go and his shout and the crowd waiting at the finish spurred with on with a last boost, I don't know where it came from! Really tried to get 2:20:xx but in the end was just over 2:21.

Delighted - had only hoped that I would do better than last year and dip under 2:25 - I really hadn't expected to be nearer to 2:20! I had a virtual pacer set on my watch but I found it hard to slow down and my legs dictated the pace for much of the race. Cannot believe I knocked 4 mins off my pb from this time last year and 10mins from my first half 2 years ago.

I know I've probably said it before but I'm not in a hurry to sign up to another half marathon (yet I've 5 completed!). I've done Tullamore twice, I've done Rosemount twice - I kinda feel like they're done. That said, I'll probably get an itch in a few months time to go sub 2:20... But for the moment my plans are trying to maintain my running over the winter with running group and parkrun and I'm hoping to join the local gym for a s&c class. Really hoping that next year I can focus more on bringing down my 5km and 10km times.

What a brilliant result and a great post. Congratulations on your PB, delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the PB :)

Congratulations on the PB! It's a lovely boost to get especially when you didn't expect such a big one! Focusing on 5/10k sounds like a great idea as a change from the HM distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Lovely stuff. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB! Enjoyed that race report :)

It's been forever and a day since I updated my log.

Was buzzing after my half marathon pb! But I was coming into my busy season at work, hubbie was gearing up for his first marathon, I had no races lined and the weather was getting colder and darker - so my running went a bit by the wayside.

Thurs 17/10/19 - 8.6km 1hr 13
    Child was at foroige so self and hubbie tried to find a 5 mile route around the town as it was night time. But it was quite soon after dinner so I kept getting a stitch.

Mon 21/10/19 - 6.75km 58mins
    Hubbie was tapering for DCM. Had tried to be clever and do 1km easy, 1km MP and 1km walk but I didn't hear the watch beep to at the km marker and also I just found that it was difficult to lock onto a pace, the watch keep beeping - too fast, too slow.

Sun 3/11/19 5.1km 30:34
    Splits: 6:13, 5:51, 6:06, 6:06, 5:41, 4:55(0.1)
    It was New York marathon weekend and I signed up to a free virtual 5km on Strava. I went down to the cycleway for a fairly flat straight out and back route. Tried to keep it steady but speedy at the same time. Started off quite cold but before the 1km mark I had to stop briefly to remove a layer! Kept it steady to the turning point and took a little breather for some water. Flt myself starting to struggle at 3.5km and wondered was this my limit, did I push a bit too much. But I looked at my watch and seen I was doing quite well for time and pushed on, I had just over 1km to go, could I get under 5km? My strava tells me I did 5km in 29:55. Happy with that but still doesn't feel like a victory or that I'm a sub-30 5km runner. A virtual race is hard to do on your own.

09/11/19 5km parkrun 33:26
    Felt like such a difficult run. Legs and feet felt heavy. This was hubbie's first run after DCM and I felt nearly more tired than he did. I was working quite long days and a lot of overtime. But a bit of fresh air and stretch of the legs set me up for another day in work.

18/11/19 5.16km 34 mins
    Work deadline met - time to try and get back to normal again and back running a bit more. Back to the park with 3 x 5 mins running with 3 mins walk/jog in between. I didn't think to beep the watch in between sections. I was busying chatting and catching up with people and just trying to keep one foot in front of the other.
    2.1km 14mins
    Had a few mins spare before the child needed collecting so I did a few laps of the outdoor track. Wished I had brought earphones as laps can be boring but at least it was only about 15 mins. I will say though it was getting quite cold and it took me ages to warm up when we got home.

So that's what I've been up to the past month or so. Hubbie did DCM - he got goal A which was to complete it but not the time he wanted as his calf was giving him bother from over halfway. He was a little disappointed as he was happy enough with his long runs in training. But he's signed up again for next year! I loved the spectating, I really did! Would I ever do a marathon - maybe. DCM looked like such a great race to do - it's the training that would put me off, so many weeks training, so much time.

Can i just say that if you are thinking of doing DCM then i would highly recommend it! Coming from someone who in a million years never thought they'd ever be even remotely interested in running one! In fact i thought marathon runners were crazy & now i am one of those crazies :D
    Yes the training took commitment & yes at times it felt like some of the runs looked impossible but the more i got into it the more i enjoyed it & made it as much of my normal routine at home - well as much as i could!

If you are strongly thinking about it i would say do it now if you can, no point putting off till tomorrow what you can do today ;)
    It was honestly up there with one of the greatest achievements i have done for myself in my life :D

No exciting running to report but a little bit being done to tick over all the same.

Mon 25/11/19 4.86km 34:50
    A session in the park with 3 x 4 mins with 3 mins recovery in between. My 4 mins were paced at 5:52/km, 6:00/km and 6:01/km which I was happy with. Then about a mile jog afterwards for recovery at about 7:00/km pace which is probably too fast pace for my recovery but the others run at that pace so it's nice to be able to run with them.

Sat 30/11/19
    I was run director at parkrun so I didn't get out for a run. I had a bit of free time that afternoon and was in the humour for a big long walk. However it was cut short after 1km as the child rang to say there was something wrong with his bike and could I come collect him.

Sun 01/12/19 11.5km hike 2hr 30
    We had a child free day and wanted to do something. Had thought about going to Dublin or Galway but I wasn't in the humour for pawing around the shops, I wanted to be out in the fresh air. As the weather was promised cold but bright, we decided to hit the road and travel to the Cuilcagh Mountain, also known as the Stairway to Heaven. Perfect weather for it, dry crisp and bright. Really enjoyable trek up and back, great to get out in the fresh air and many other people had the same idea as ourselves, there was a steady flow of people up and down. I did find it trying in spots. I said to himself I thought I was kinda fit but some parts I didn't feel like it at all. It's 5.5km from the car park to the top, and the boardwalk is only for the last 1.5km up. We timed it perfectly and the views from the viewing point at the top were fab. I would definitely recommend it for a day out and we'll be back again with the child.

Mon 02/12/19 5.64km 41mins
    5 x 6 mins with 2 mins recovery. I probably should have been a bit more clever and tried to cover 1km in those 6 mins but the legs were tired after the hike the previous day plus I feel into step with someone and we chatted and just did our laps around without looking at the watch. I did the 6 mins at the following paces: 6:45, 6:33, 6:34, 6:33 and 6:38. Not bad, bearing in mind I was chatting while running these so I'm going to say I was improving my aerobic fitness!!

Tues 03/12/19
    Was out of work early so went for a 3km walk down the town and back. 30 mins.

Sat 07/12/2019 5km parkrun 31:06
    Splits: 6:00, 6:29, 6:16, 6:30, 6:22
    Feels like the first parkrun in so long! Had no target for a time, just wanted to get out for a run. At the 2km mark, a girl I know was stopped and I checked was she ok - she was, she said she wasn't in the humour for running and was waiting for me for a bit of company. That suited me fine, when she's on form she's usually at least 2-3 mins quicker than me so away we went. However after the 3km mark, she said I'm not feeling it, I'm just going to get my keys and go home. But myself and another runner convinced her to stay going, sure only one more [long] lap to do, you're more than half way there. But then I found myself starting to struggle a bit and there really was a pair of us in it! Trying to distract ourselves with chat and then with 200m to go we just booted it to the finish line! It's strange, I'm not normally the "motiviating, helping people to keep running" person for someone who's a better runner than me.

Sun 08/12/19
    The local running group do a Sunday morning run and since hubbie has finished up marathon training (for the moment) I said I must try and get out for a couple of those runs, depending on who else is going out (ie a few slower runners like myself). But Sun morn wasn't great, very squally showers so I think most of the group made the decision to give it a miss. There's always next Sunday.

Mon 09/12/2019 4.6km 32:59
    I'm not sure what this session was supposed to be as I was late. But I just kept going and sped up or slowed down when the whistle blew. The first half of it I was running on my own at my own pace but for the second half I fell in with a few of the girls and ran with them for the rest so my pace wasn't bad considering we were chatting.
    I have to say I'm glad took the plunge during the summer and met up with this local running group. It's not a club so there's no pressure, just run yourself - if you want to improve or a few pointers, there's someone there to give advice and encouragement.

• Advertisement

I'm back again!

Weds 11/12/19 6.16km 40mins
    I got out for a rare Weds night session - it usually doesn't suit as I'm helping with the kids athletics.
    The session was 5 x 1km with 250m recovery. My kms were the following paces (mins/km): 5:49, 5:52, 5:59, 6:02, 5:52 (0.45km), 5:57
    I wasn't looking at my watch, it was too cold, but I must have miscounted a lap for 4km and actually ran further. Really happy with those km splits. Those are the kind of times I want to be hitting in my 5kms, and I was chatting as I was doing them!

Sat 14/12/19 5km parkrun 31:46
    Splits: 5:55, 6:45, 6:27, 6:38, 6:13
    I don't really remember this run at all. I can tell from my strava that I ran with with the hubbie so it makes a change for us to be able to run parkrun together, usually one of us is volunteering.

Sat 21/12/19 5km parkrun 30:42
    Splits: 5:38, 6:17, 6:11, 6:55, 6:01
    I started off way too fast, what was I thinking?! I didn't warm up before this parkrun as I was organising the post run Christmas treats before we started. So I could feel my calf muscles a bit sore on the 2nd & 3rd km. Start of the 4th km I was feeling tired but quickly gave myself a little kick along. Then I caught up on my brother. He started parkrunning a few weeks ago and has improved week on week. I thought however that morning he started off way too fast. Hhe said he hadn't any energy left. I jogged along side him and kept him chatting (to distract him). But by the start of the last km he was like naw you go on. So I decided sure feck it for the last km - I knew I had a post parkrun hot chocolate waiting for me! Pleased to finish in 30:xx

Thurs 26/12/19 5km 31:19
    Splits: 6:07, 6:10, 6:19, 6:36, 5:42
    Was a little disappointed that I was missing two local Stephen's day runs this year. But seen by chance there was a run on not too far from where we were staying and for a good cause. Even though we were full of turkey and wine, we decided to stretch out the legs. The first 3km were grand, we just dandered along roads I have never been on before, looking around me! However from 3.5-4km it was climbing, twisty and then more climbing. Would sap the energy out of the legs. Got near the 4km mark and could see marshals up ahead and didn't want to be seen to be slacking off! Up onto a main road and a nice down hill I made full use out of. The last 500m was also the first 500m so I knew I was on the home stretch. Pleased enough with that time considering!

Sat 27/12/19 3km 16:12
    Splits: 5:16, 5:37, 5:24
    My last race of the year. The athletics club near my inlaws does a 3km handicap whereby you register with your 5km race time and they allocate start times for everyone, with the slower runners starting first and being released on intervals. It works out that the faster runners catch up and everyone finishes around the same time. I was a tad disappointed with my time last year - I wasnted sub17 mins and got 17:01! All I wanted was sub 17 this year and set the watch to pace to 16:45 but then waiting at the start area I changed it to pace 16:30!

I was in the 3rd batch to start with hubbie and another woman who was eager to get going (she tried to start with an earlier group) and she was a bit faster than us. Past the groups that had started before me by the 1km mark. Seen my first km was quite fast, but sure feck it only 2 more to go!

2nd km was much tougher. Gradual climbs you can feel them in your legs. Kept plugging away, it's only a short race. I knew from doing this race before that I found it tough after 1.5km and I managed to keep my head together for this section. Coming up on 2km and hubbie started to drop back. I had two fellas pass me and realised I was in 5th place but knew I'd never hold it.

At 2.25km I found my breathing getting more difficult and I panicked a little. I also could hear feet coming up behind me. I eased up the pace a little, calmed myself down and got on with it. I knew I hadn't far to go. By 2.5km I was being passed on both sides, it was like the scene from Jurrasic Park. 300m to go and turned down the main street and try as I might the legs just would not go any faster and it felt like I was in reverse. Last 150m and all under 5:00 pace but I literally couldn't breathe! Was so surprised to see the time on my watch when I finished. That's three quarters of a minute off last year's time!

Weds 01/01/2020 5km parkrun #1 31:32
    Splits: 6:44, 6:28, 6:24, 6:19, 5:39
    New Year's Day double parkrun! A late night, was behaving with the alcohol but made a pig of myself with the food. First km was very slow. The route was quite crowded, walkers and slower runners 2 and 3 abreast. But as we went along it thinned out a bit and we got into our stride. At the halfway mark we turned from the canal path to the cycleway for the part of this parkrun I don't enjoy, it just feels long and never ending. But because there was a good crowd, I had company and slowly picked off people one by one. I felt nice and comfortable and was enjoying it. At about 600m to go I realised I was doing a decent time and pushed on. I thought I might come in under 31 mins but I should have picked it up sooner.

Weds 01/01/2020 5km parkrun #2 31:54
    Splits: 6:30, 6:12, 6:10, 6:16, 6:06
    parkrun no 2. Again off to a slow start due to the crowd. Settled in after 500m. 2 other women were doing a nice pace so I stuck with them for most of the run. It's probably my least favourite parkrun route, 2 long loops followed by 2 shorter loops which go by the finish line just to tease you! It's easy to miscalculate when you are on your final loop - thank goodness for the garmin watch. One of the ladies dropped away a bit around 3.5km and I tried to stick with the other until the end. Happy to scrape in under 32 mins. When I looked back over my runs, I did the same NYD double last year and I'm a good minute quicker on both parkruns compared with the same time last year. A nice little improvement to start the new year.

Sat 04/01/20 5km 31:46
    Splits: 6:07, 6:38, 6:31, 6:54, 6:25

I was going to say first parkrun of the new year but then I realised I did 2 parkruns on new years day! Didn't feel like the easiest parkrun, the climbs felt tough and my legs felt tired. Think I was just tired after Christmas/New year break, back to work and not sleeping properly with a cough.

Sun 05/01/20 6km walk 1:10
    Electricity went at home. After tidying the house and taking down all the decorations we decided to go out for a walk - sure what else could we do and it was starting to get dark. Perfectly timed return home just as the power came back on.

Mon 06/01/20 4.77km 34 mins
    Back to the park for the running sessions - I was looking forward to this again. But I ended up being late as I'd to drop kid to training and was behind time. Plan was 4 x 5 mins with 3 mins rec. My 5 min split paces were 6:13 (I eased into this one as I missed warm up), 6:01, 6:07 and 5:50. Probably could have done better but first night back and all that.

Thurs 09/01/20 8.25km 1:05
    Splits: 7:18, 7:52, 8:20, 8:20, 7:55, 8:13, 7:55, 7:43, 7:05 (0.25)
    With kid in Foroige I'd a bit of free time again and have decided I'm going to try and get out for a run when he's doing this. Was fairly cold out so wrapped up well. Run was going nice and easy up to about 1.5km. And then I just felt tired and my calf felt niggley. Stopped to stretch the calf out, it felt fine after but my legs just felt tired. I just kept going along, hoping that I'd find my stride and get into my run. But I didn't really. At one stage there was a couple ahead walking and I swear they were walking about as quick as I was trying to run! So many walking breaks and it just felt like back when I was learning to run! I guess you just have those types of runs now and again. I think it was the longest run I've done since the half marathon last Oct.
    But I've signed up to Raheny 5 mile at the end of the month so hopefully I improve a bit between now and then!

Other than the above running I've been trying to get out for a walk any chance I get. I've been out for 20/25 mins at lunch time every day, I think I got out around the block (2km) one evening and when I was collecting kid from training I had 15 mins to spare and went for a walk instead of sitting in the arena waiting.

Sat 11/01/2020 5km 34:26
    Splits: 6:16, 6:59, 6:51, 7:18, 7:32
    Probably one of the worst parkruns ever. It was ok to start out with, then a little drizzle - grand. Then it was getting heavier and heavier. Then the ground was getting mucky and dug up with the footfall. Few people falling and there wasn't much grip in many places. Just tried to make it around in one piece! Was soaked right through and went straight home for a hot shower instead of going for the usual post-parkrun coffee.

Sat 12/01/2020 11km 1hr12mins
    Splits: 6:51, 6:43, 6:29, 6:33, 6:35, 6:28, 6:31, 6:16, 6:26, 6:30, 6:33
    This run was the polar opposite of the previous day's run! Lovely bright sunny morning. My first time to join in with the local Sunday morning running group - I'd made enough excuses about wanting a lie in, about them being too fast for me and doing longer distances. They did a local loop which they say was about 7 miles - I dunno I work in kms and there was another 700m from when I stopped my watch back to the car.
    The group I fell in with are usually faster runners than me. I stuck with them fine for the first 4km. Then over the next km I found it getting a little more difficult, their slow run pace is probably my tempo pace. I slowly drifted back and was content to run at my own pace. But one of the girls noticed, came back to me and gradually brought me back up to the main group. I then feel into step with two girls and we got chatting and honestly the kms just flew by. It was unreal how much easier it is to run with company. If I'd been doing that route on my own, I'd have been much slower, I'd have felt the struggle more and taken walking breaks. I was quite pleased with that run in the end, that time and pace would have been a race time and pace for me before and now it's a [faster than it should be] long run! Couldn't believe I was running at an average of 6:30min/km pace and chatting. I really needed a run like that after not being happy with my last 2 runs.

Unfortunately the weather played havoc with my running this week.

Mon 13/01/20
    Monday night's running in the park was cancelled. It was fairly blustery at home so I didn't even chance going out for a run or a walk. Couldn't even get out for a walk at lunchtime - it was lashing rain at the start of lunch hour but blue skies by the end.

Tues 14/01/20
    no walk at lunch time due to appointment. Evening time got out for a 5km walk.

Thurs 16/01/20 6.3km 50 mins
    Splits: 7:17, 7:46, 8:32, 8:07, 7:32, 8:23, 7:45 (0.3)
    Went down the town and back while child was in foroige. I don't know why but I can't seem to get into my stride on these Thurs eve runs. I have no choice but to run up and down the town - there's nowhere else nearby that's lit up at nighttime and safe to run on my own.

Sun 19/01/20
    No parkrun for me on Sat - I had something else on.
    Was looking forward to the long run on Sun. But when I woke up and seen how cold and icy it was, I just couldn't justify driving and running in it. I was a bit sorry afterwards that I didn't, I was buzzing after last week's long run.
    So I got out later that day for a 5km walk, still a few parts hadn't thawed all day.

Mon 20/01/20 5.2km 36:40
    Woohoo back to the park again. Felt like I really needed a good [running] session under my belt to make up for missing runs and walks last week. The plan was 4 x 6 mins with 3 mins recovery. I think the paces for my running was: 6:06, 5:47, 6:02, 6:15. Fairly happy with that. Was running with faster ladies and I could keep going with them and chat, but I suspect they were taking it easier having done their long runs the previous day.

I had half an hour to spare before collecting the child from training so I parked up and switched on the watch again!
    4km 26:32
    Splits: 6:33, 6:34, 7:09, 6:12
    Was quite pleased with that little run. A few more decent kms in the legs.

I have Raheny 5 mile this coming Sunday. It will be my 3rd time running it. Really really hoping to get in under 50 mins. I've done 4 or 5 5 mile races and all have been 50:xx. Was disappointed not to go sub 50 last year. I feel like I have it in my legs this year but I'm not sure what pace to set on my watch: 6:10 mins/km will get me under 50 mins but could I push it out to 6:05mins/km....?

I have a little problem being a blister on my right instep. So I'm going to have to try and get that healed by Sunday and after that feck these runners from a height!

It's tough trying to find the balance of getting a safe run done alone in the dark mornings/evenings as a woman running alone... can't wait for the brighter days again :)

Very best of luck at Raheny:D

• Advertisement

Good luck on Sunday. You are well capable of getting a sub 50 min.

Didn't really do much running over the week. I did want to make sure I was rested for Raheny and not to aggravate the blister area. Got out for walks most days either at lunch time or evening time. Was quite involved in athletics all weekend with our juvenile athletics indoor meet on the Fri evening which our club hosts so all coaches were on hand to help out - I was coordinating the athletics to the start pen trying to herd them up, I'd say I clocked up about 10,000 steps doing that alone and the voice just about held up. Then Sat morn I was parkrun run director. Think it went off well, I'm always worried something will go wrong or that i'll mess it up.
    So onto Sunday...

Raheny 5 mile race 8km 47:47 official time
    Splits: 5:57, 5:44, 6:01, 5:49, 6:02, 5:57, 6:07, 5:59
    I actually don't know where to begin - internally I've been doing a little dance since yesterday evening! I can't believe it!
    All I wanted was a sub 50mins, that's all!
    My A plan was to set the watch at 6:10mins/km and get 49:xx.
    My B plan was to set the watch at 6:05mins/kms and get a low 49:xx and pray that the quicker pace didn't mean I was blow up later in the race.
    I took a chance and set the watch to 6:05mins/km.
    Got to Raheny earlier than expected so wrapped up and watched a few of the kids races - aww bless them - some great runners for the future. I would have liked to have watched the teens mile but decided to go back to the car to get kitted out. We went to the start area good and early, we've normally started way back cos of the crowds. Son positioned himself more forward and I went further back. Ultimately himself said he could have gone more forward and I felt I should have started further back.
    Felt like we waited ages to start. Once we got going I was trying not to get pulled along with the crowds and start too fast. But I was being passed by so many people and this felt like the theme for most of the race - me being overtaken. Got to the first km and it was already starting to feel a little hard - there was a climb outside as school that I don't remember before. Looped past the start finish area and looked out for hubbie - he had his back to the race busy chatting someone - typical!
    After 2km I would feel the blister area of my foot starting to get sore - oh no please no! Try to ignore it.
    By the time I got to 3km it was getting impossible to ignore. I was contemplating stopping and ripping off the blister plaster to see if that would help. I felt like I was limping a bit but it wore off after 3.5km.
    Got to 4km - I looked at my watch and just couldn't do the maths!
    5th km was just trying to keep going - reminding myself that it's 8km not 5km, still trying to control my pace but still getting passed out on both sides. Watched beeped for 5km and I glanced at my time and could just make out 29:xx and thought oh am I going to be in trouble for the last few km.
    Into St Anne's Park and I think much of it was keep going, one foot in front of the other. I'm not a fan of the never ending out and back bit, I find I'm trying to scan the crowd for people and it hurts my eyes so I stayed more over to the left hand side and that helped. Passed the 4 mile marker and thought ok about 1.5km I'm nearly there. Then crossing the bridge in the park to the park exit felt longer than I remembered.
    Came out of the park and glanced at the watch to see that I was on 7.2km and 44:xx mins - hmmm this is a bit better than expected. We got to the corner of the small park but I didn't realise what part, I thought we had 3 sides of the park to run, not the 4. So an extra turn for me! Seen the hubbie at 7.75km and gave him the biggest wave and cheer. Turned the final corner and to be honest I didn't really have anything left to give, no burst to the finish line, I just kept saying to myself don't slow down, just keep pushing, just try to maybe get under 48 mins.
    Couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch! Honestly didn't think I'd have that in me! I'm so happy!

The young lad didn't do as well as he expected. Someone accidentally clipped his heel at the start and this hurt his leg. But he kept on going and seemed ok when I met him at the end, just annoyed.

Ordered new runners online when I got home and hoping I'll have them in time for parkrun at the weekend.

Oh I forgot to add to my race report - I somehow got a 5km pb also! 29:28! I honestly don't know where that came from, I was surprised when I looked at my strava on the way home and seen it! I've been hankering after a proper sub 30mins 5k and have been floating around the 30 mark for a while. Now I want to do a 5km race to do it properly. And I want to race a 10k to get a new pb in that distance too! After plateauing with my running paces for a while I'm loving that they've improved since I joined the local running group.

Lol 1 PB wasn't enough for you eh :p

Congrats on a super run, very steady splits there! Your sheer delight really comes across in your report too - made me smile! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super result, well done!! You say you don't know where it came from, but you've been adding in more speed work lately right??

• Advertisement

Absolutely delighted for you. You ran a great race and got the result you deserved. Huge well done.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Super result, well done!! You say you don't know where it came from, but you've been adding in more speed work lately right??
    That's right, good observation, I hadn't really noticed - I just go along with whatever session is set up in the park. Most of the others are faster than me so I'm trying not to trail too far behind. I'd never really done any speed work before on my own. And I'm finding that i'm getting more used to group running and a harder to push myself when I'm on my own.

I had been loosing following a 5km a day group which I've been a member of the past few years. It adds up to 155km in the month and I realised with my running and all the little walks, that I wasn't far off the target so that was great motivation for me this week.

Mon 27/01/20 8km walk 1:20
    My own training was called off but the young lad's was still going ahead cos it's indoors. I decided to go for a walk and stretch the legs. Got a nice 8km in well wrapped up.

Weds 29/01/20 4km 30:10
    Splits: 7:24, 7:40, 7:16, 7:32
    Driving from after athletics coaching and I was itching to get out for just a little run. So out I went in the dark. It was ok, I was tired so just took it easy but it was nice to get out. Felt like I was "hashtag winning at life"!

Thurs 30/01/20 6km 49.07
    Splits: 7:15, 9:03, 7:33, 8:24, 8:02, 8:42
    As usual the young lad at Foroige so I got out for my run. I just can't seem to get into my Thurs eve runs, I don't know if it's tiredness after work, if it's the route (although I don't have much choice in those at this time of year) or being on my own. I had planned out a route of 9-10km in my head taking in side streets. I think about 2km in I was like meh. Maybe I'll jsut make it 5km. Then at 2.5km I knew the end of the road was 3km from the house so I'd keep going to there and head back.

Fri 31/01/20 12.6km 1hr 52
    Splits: probably no point!
    The last day of Jan and I had 12.5km to reach my target for the month. I had a free afternoon which is usually spent getting the housework done ahead of the weekend, but instead I laced up my new runners and hit the road. I headed for the cycleway, happy to have daylight for a change. I was about 3km out and my right heel felt a little irritated, crap why did I decide to wear my new runners for a long run. Maybe I should turn back, but then I won't get my target. I walked for a bit, and then some more. I ran for a little bit and walked some more. Got to 6km point and turned and headed back. At 8km I ran for a km and then walked for another km. At 10km I ran for another km as it was getting dark at that stage and i was in an area which isn't properly lit and a bit isolated. But at 11km I knew I had 1.5km to go, so I just kept walking along.
    Target hit!

Sat 01/02/20 run 1 of 2 5km parkrun 31:27
    Splits: 5:39, 6:25, 6:16, 6:45, 6:32
    A deceiving looking morning out. Weather app said 7c but the sharp wind took it down to about what felt like 3c! I was not dressed appropriately for this run at all! I kept my hoody on for over 3km of this run. First off I don't know how my first km was so fast and didn't realise until I typed this log. My watch was well hidden up my sleeve! Shed the hoody after 3km but at 3.5km I was starting to regret that! Few spots were mucky along the course but it wasn't too bad. I didn't wear my new runners, I didn't want to get them dirty! The last 100m I couldn't even push for the finish, the sharp wind blowing into me!

Sat 01/02/20 run 2 of 2 5.1km 30:10
    Splits: 5:51, 5:48, 5:53, 6:05, 5:56, 5:26 (0.1)
    I wanted to take part in a run/race on Sat and as it was to be on at 11:30 I thought I'd have time to squeeze in my local parkrun, then the race. However when I was leaving parkrun at 10:30 and I checked facebook, I found out that the race was starting at 11:05. I did consider just not going. But I wanted to do it, it's a nice route and it's one of those "finish lines, not finish times" type of runs. Sure if I was late, I can just run it myself. Driving in the avenue to the start area I met everyone heading on out the road. I parked up, set my watch and headed straight off. I was wearing my "walking" runners, not my new shiny runners nor my mucky parkrun runners. I kept my hoody on too! Just after a km I starting catching up on walkers. I was passing people out. I did worry that people might have thought I was showing off but this was my run too. I thought the turning point was at 2.5km, turns out it was at 3km and it felt like the longest 500m! I walked a little and then ploughed on again, I couldn't have people see me walking! Started giving words of encouragement as I was passing people, we were heading back towards the finish. At 4.5km we turned in off the road and I just felt spent and that perhaps I'd bitten off more than I could chew doing 2 5kms in a morning when I'd already had a busy week. A walk of 100m and then put the head down and keep pushing, watching the watch, come on sub 30 mins! My watch beeped as i was passing my car and seen 29:xx. That's do, just head on now for the finish and a cuppa tea! Looked at my strava after and I hit the 5km mark in 29:33 - my second fastest 5k. Now I really want a chip timed 5km to make it official that I can run 5km in under 30!

Mon 03/02/2020 5.7km 41mins.
    Session in the park, plan was 6x800m with 200m recovery. My splits for the 800's were 6:11, 6:10, 6:05, 6:15, 6:02 and 6:04. They did feel tough enough, especially the last few. I was running with two other girls and I did feel like letting them head on for the second half of the session but I did my best to stick with them, I had to remind myself that that is how I'll get faster.

Felt like I missed a few runs this week. Missed Thurs night cos I ended up going on a rare date night with hubbie. Had planned on running Sun morn but the weather was atrocious.

Got out for one or two short walks over the week.

Fri 07/08/2020 6.5km 47:03
    Splits: 6:49, 7:19, 7:00, 7:03, 7:32, 7:47, 6:54 (0.5)
    It's nice to get another free Friday afternoon so I made the most of it by getting out for a run in daylight. However the calves felt tight enough and had to stop and stretch them out a few times.

Sat 08/08/2020 4.85km parkrun 29:45 (parkrun pb!)
    Splits: 5:44, 6:20, 6:09, 6:25, 5:58 (0.85)
    Very surprised at this finishing time! Hadn't planned on going for a pb at all. I paired up with another girl I know, she was doing a recovery run having done an event the evening before. Both of us just wanted a bit of company and a chat on our parkrun but she does generally run parkrun a good 2/3 mins quicker than me. We just ran about, trying to stay going, chatting, not paying attention to our watches. With about 200/300m to go, I realised I could be in with a fair chance of getting sub 30min parkrun so I pegged it off for the finish line. The girl on the stopwatch called out my time as I crossed the line - I was so happy! BTW my local parkrun measures short on watches as there's a bit of tree cover and a couple of spots where you can kinda cut corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the parkrun PB! Often it's more satisfying when you're not chasing it and/or least expect it :D

I honestly wish this weather would just do one at this stage. It feels like I can't get out the door at all. I know I won't melt in the rain and possibly not blow away with the wind but I find the cold just goes right through me and it takes me an age to warm back up.

Mon 10/02/2020 5.25km 37:42
    Storm Ciara. It was touch and go if the park session would go ahead. Even though we had a plan for the session, I think most of us just kept going around the park and kept moving, it was too cold and windy to take recovery walks. It was more about staying upright and moving! We had finished up and were doing a lap to cool down when the hailstones came at us horizontally from the river and we all just turned and ran for our cars!

Sat 15/02/20 5 km parkrun 32:26
    Splits: 6:09, 6:35, 6:27, 6:56, 6:57
    Certainly nowhere near my pb this week. While the weather wasn't too bad for the run, there was a stiff breeze in parts that was tough to run against. It was one of those runs just about stretching the legs and getting a couples of miles in. Course was slippy in spots so I wasn't taking any chances of a slide.
    Later that day my hamstrings were tight and sore. Not able to stretch my legs out as much as I usually can. I realised it was down to a coaching course I was on Fri night, I must have used muscles I don't normally use.

Mon 17/02/20 6km 41:56
    3 x 10 mins with 2 mins recovery. Hamstrings were still a little sore so I didn't push myself as much as I could have.
    Did another km waiting for kid to finish his training.

It feels like I've hardly got out at all this month. I wanted to get a few of the Sunday long runs in but the weather was so bad most people have cancelled. Even for my lunch time walks I'm out of sorts with bad weather and then the child doing mocks and now mid term - routine is all over the place this month.
    I've signed up to 2 10k's next month - I've done them before so I know the routes and that they are well organised - I'm just not sure where I am ability wise with them as yet and what to aim for or expect with them.

I think the weather has everyone pretty much p!$$ed off at the moment:eek: That and the feeling that it's constantly dark! Roll on the brighter, warmer days :)

Having something to target, doesn't have to be a pb etc. just something out of training in my mind is always good. Maybe just start fresh from now & focus on the 10k races you have lined up :)

If i know i'm going to have a challenging week (midterm break, storm forecast, family events etc), I try to plan for it and set myself a more achievable goal at the start of the week - so for example instead of my usual X runs i might shoot for X-1 runs, or instead of running X miles i shoot for X-5 miles. I find it helps me to manage the situation without going completely off the rails.

With regards warming up afterwards, i do most of my running in the evening and usually spend the rest of the evening hugging a hot water bottle any chance i get to sit down, it's the only thing that warms me up after getting hailed on :eek:
    I think the weather has everyone pretty much p!$$ed off at the moment:eek: That and the feeling that it's constantly dark! Roll on the brighter, warmer days :)

Ain't that the truth, it's been pretty woeful.

As for warming up i usually go home put the thickest fleece pjs on, fleece socks, a fleece dressing gown, a blanket & a huge mug of tea that i usually hug more than i drink!! What a sight :eek: :D

As for warming up i usually go home put the thickest fleece pjs on, fleece socks, a fleece dressing gown, a blanket & a huge mug of tea that i usually hug more than i drink!! What a sight :eek: :D

Yes this is me! Only problem is I get too comfy and am not fit for doing anything for the rest of the evening/night.

• Advertisement

Thurs 20/02/2020 6km 54:18
    Hubbie has been out of running action and undergoing physio. He's quite nervous about getting out running again. So I suggested we go to the greenway which is flat and do some easy intervals. Walked the 500m to the greenway entrance and then we had a stretch of 800m to the next exit so we jogged up and walked back times 3. 500m jog back to the car. I recently bought a little headlight in Lidl so I got to test this out for the first time as there aren't any lights on the greenway.

Sat 22/02/2020 8.1km 49:32
    Splits: 5:54, 5:38, 5:51, 7:28, 5:52, 5:59, 5:58, 6:07, 6:15 (0.1)
    My local parkrun was cancelled. One of the girls text me and suggested we meet up and go for a run on the greenway ourselves. I parked up 500m away from the greenway entrance and jogged up. We set off and it was finally a lovely morning for a run. I wasn't really paying attention to pace, but concentrating on keeping moving enough as she is a bit faster than me. We were just chatting away and not paying much attention to pace. 4th km was slower as we stopped at the turning point and removed our running jackets. I really enjoyed this run and felt I could have kept going but we were both under time pressure with family commitments. Delighted to see another 5 mile under 50 mins and me trying for years to do that!

Mon 24/02/2020 4.28km 26:52
    I was a bit late for this session. It was suppose to be 15mins/2 mins rest/15mins. I think mine worked out at 13 mins/1.5mins rest/12 mins. Felt like my pace was a little all over the place. Legs felt tired for the second part.

5.25km 37:48
    Splits: 7:13, 7:24, 7:32, 7:01, 6:58, 6:39 (0.25)
    Had more time than usual to spare after the session so I went out a few roads near the college up and down a bit to make up about 5km. I probably should have picked a more flat route to run as my legs felt tired but I didn't want to run on the greenway on my own at night, even though that section is lit up. Still it was great to keep going, bit of running on tired legs (I don't know why they were tired tonight) won't do me any harm, I tried to keep the pace easy.

Feels like I've had a busy and active past week! Tried to get out for a walk or a run whenever it was possible.

Thurs 27/02/20 8km 1:09
    Another session on the cycleway with the husband getting him back running again. This time 500m walk from car to cycleway and then 1,500 jog+750m walk times three. 500m back to car. Then kept going another bit to round up to 8km - you know yourself! Kept it nice and steady and an improvement on last week. No aches or pains from him.

Sat 29/02/20 6km 39:55
    Splits: 6:14, 6:07, 6:11, 6:45, 7:14, 7:15
    Early morning run while the car was getting its NCT. I could have sat in the waiting room with a book but no I went for a run in the wind and the snow falling! Something nice (and smug) about getting out early for a run while the world is only coming to life.

Sat 29/02/20 5km parkrun 30:35
    Splits: 5:42, 6:18, 6:20, 6:36, 6:10
    Yes I know I'd been out for a run earlier but when parkrunday fell on a leap day - I wasn't missing that milestone!
    Surprisingly decent time considering my legs felt quite tired and heavy. Somehow I just kept on going - ok I did take a couple of short little walking breaks.

Sun 01/03/20 10.13km 1:02:47
    Splits: 6:09, 6:00, 6:04, 6:07, 6:13, 6:07, 6:14, 6:15, 6:21, 5:57, 9:43 (0.13)
    10k = 01:01:34
    Met up with the local Sunday morning group. A lot of faces missing as there were a few races on. I realised that those who turned up were lot faster runners than me and suddenly felt out of place. I let them decide what distance and route they were doing and I said I'd follow them so far and turn back the way. As we started they quickly got further away on me. One of the guys slowed up and ran with me. However his slow easy pace was a fast pace for me. I just stuck with it, I told him a few times he could go on. He did most of my run with me and then he headed off on his own run before I got to 10km - I seen the time on my watch and pushed on - my fastest 10km almost a minute and a half. It's been a while since I've really run a 10k - it's given me an idea where I am with the distance time-wise and made me think that sub 60 mins is possible. Or maybe my run on Sunday was just a fluke! But we were chatting and my legs were tired after a busy few days. Only criticism of my run on Sun was that it was way too fast to be a long slow run for me!

Higher mileage than usual for me at 39.5kms but I've a busy week coming up so it's like I've banked a few miles and I won't feel guilty or frustrated about not getting out this week.

Hello!! Hi!! *waves* Remember me!

Long time since I posted on my log. With the pandemic, my routine went out the window like everyone else and just haven't had a chance to sit down and type it out. When I last posted I was at the end of a busy running week on a high.

2-8 March
    Busy week with other things going on. Managed to get out for walks either before work or during my lunch break for some air. By the end of the week my son was under the weather. I was through the roof with anxiety and lack of sleep, googling this virus.

9-15 March
    Then I was a bit under the weather. (Both HSE and GP said it couldn't be cv19 as we hadn't been abroad recently...). First taste of working from home. Anyway by midweek we were getting back to normal, still very anxious though. Then the school closed. I was working part at home, part in the office. Running or walking was the last thing on my mind.

16-22 March
    Felt like we were in some surreal world. St Patrick's Day we drove out of town to a quieter part of the greenway for a walk in the rain. The Saturday we drove back out there again for our "parkrun". Nice to get a run in a quiet area. 5km in 30:39, happy with that, my first run in weeks.

23-29 March.
    The running group started to post up a weekly training plan so I said I'd give it a go, see if it could motivate me to get out for a run.
    Weds: 2 x 10 mins with 3 mins recovery. warm up and cool down. Covered 6.5km in 45mins
    Fri: 4.5km in 31 mins
    Sat: The 2km radius restriction kicked in then. Decided to do a 2km loop that goes through our estate and around the block by other estates. It was very busy and I've since come to only do that loop early morning, late in the evening or when it's raining. 5km 33:32

30March - 5 April
    Tues: 3 x 7mins with 3 mins recovery. Warm up and cool down. Found an app to set up intervals on so I get a little beep to start/stop. 6.2km in 40:56
    Fri: 15 x 90sec fast, 90 sec recovery. warm up and cool down. Ended up doing 9km in an hour. Starting to get a little running buzz back.
    Sat: Discovered the local business park conveniently has a 400m loop. So we did this for our "parkrun". Bit monotonous doing the laps so I alternated direction on each one. 5.3km in 33:28.

6-12 April
    Tues: 5 x 5mins with 2 mins recovery. warm up and cool down. 6.8km in 44:39
    Weds: Back to the industrial estate with 10 x 400 with 200 recovery. warm up and cool down brought me up to 7.5km in 52:41. Starting to get good at getting out early in the morning around 8am for my run before work from home.
    Sat: got out a bit later for our "parkrun". Decided each week we are going to try a different 5km route for our parkrun. This week it was a few loops around a local sports ground. Did a little warm up beforehand and keep going to round up to 6km in 41 mins.

13-19 April
    Mon: bank holiday easter monday. Got out for a run late morning, was so quiet. The plan called for a 1 hour progression run. I think this is the first time I did one successfully, I even keep going and rounded up to 10km in 1:06:48. Splits were: 7:24, 7:10, 6:50, 6:50, 6:42, 6:28, 6:08, 5:59, 5:56 and 7:02 (cool down). Such a buzz after this run, great start to the week.
    Weds: 90 sec fast, 30 sec recovery times 15. warm up and cool down. Tough workout but great to be able to get it done.
    Fri: plan called for 40 mins recovery. As I went out quite early I went down the town which I'd been avoiding as the footpaths can be busy. 5.8km
    Sat: no one in the house was in the humour for a "parkrun". So we went for a wander in the afternoon and discovered a new route.
    Sun: plan said 65 mins easy. Brought the hubbie along who hadn't run in ages. Tried to keep it easy but he called it quits after 5km. So I carried on and picked up the pace a little. Kept going to bring it up to 10km in 1:10. Seeing the benefits of following this plan.

20-26 April
    This was to be an easy week per the plan but I was in such a funk all week. Not motivated with work, tired, lethargic, eating junk, drinking more alcohol.
    Weds: was supposed to be 45 mins easy, did just over 30 mins 4.5km.
    Thurs: Plan was 400m, 400m, 800m times three with 90 recovery between each part. I did 2 of the 3 reps and called it quits.
    Fri: 4.6km in 32:36, wasn't bothered about rounding up to 5km.
    Didn't get out for a run for the rest of the week, was not feeling at all motivated.

I've been doing a twice weekly local online fitness class since the pandemic started. First week or two were quite tough. Now I'm finding that I'm starting to enjoy it and get a bit stronger and flexible.

I wouldn't mind if there was a lapse in my log because I wasn't really running. But I have actually been running!

27 Apr-3 May
    • Tues: 3 x 10 mins with 2 mins recovery. Plus warm up and cool down brought me up to 51 mins and 7.7km.
    • Weds: 10 x 600m with 90 seconds recovery. With a warm up and cool down brought me up to 9km in just over the hour. Was happy enough with the interval paces, I think I just don't really like 600m as a distance, it's not long but it's not short and snappy either.
    • Fri: 6km / 40mins recovery run. Feel like a new me with these early morning easy runs before working from home.
    • Sat: 5km 32:30 - splits: 6:26, 6:40, 6:30, 6:18, 6:19. Got out later than planned for this run - my son's school were doing a PE challenge for the week, something like an AMRAP (as many reps as possible) task which my son thought would be perfect to do as a warm up for the run!!
    • Sun: 10km hr 8mins. A local GAA club was doing a virtual run to raise money for the hospice - a much needed local resource which has been threatened with closure a few times over the last couple of years. An enjoyable run within my 2km radius and a decent time.

4-10 May
    • Mon: In a bit of a funk so got out for a 5km walk to clear my head.
    • Weds: the running group had planned a 3km time trial. Felt a bit nervous about it. I'd done a 3km race at the end of Dec and was really surprised and happy at the time - I didn't think I would be able to beat it running on my own but I wanted to get damn close enough to it! 1km warm up before starting. Probably cheating a little doing this on the cycleway but at least I hadn't to worry about traffic, crossing roads etc. Km1 5:14 - of course I started off too fast, thought I was brilliant! Km2 5:34 - starting to get harder now, turning point felt ages away, slowed down for a tiny walk at the turning point but picked up again. Km 3 5:31 - watched beeped for 2km completed and I felt spent, how could I do another km, I could see my finishing point but it felt so far away. Eased up for about 150m and then put the head down and ploughed on again. Completed in a time of 16:23 (pb 16:13) - mighty pleased with that. 1km jog cool down.
    • Fri: 40 mins / 6km easy run
    • Sat: Did Darkness into Light with my husband around the town at 5am. Took it nice and handy. We normally run 5km together for our "parkrun" and try a different 5km each week. Son still wanted to do this so we set out on an out and back route. It was warmer than I expected and he flew on ahead. After 1.5km I kinda had enough so I turned at 2km and headed back. Meh.
    • Sun: Didn't go for a long run, went for a family walk instead.

11-17 May
    • Tues: 2 x 15 mins with 2 mins recovery. Warm up and cool down brought me up to 45 mins and 6.6km.
    • Weds: 6 x 800 with 90 sec recovery. Loops of the business park for this in the evening. Think my average pace for the intervals was 5:55mins/km which I was happy with.
    • Thurs: 45 mins easy run getting in 6km after an online S&C class. Been pretty good staying in the habit of doing the S&C class twice a week.
    • Sat: Now that we are up to a 5km radius, time to expand our 5km Sat "parkrun" routes. There's one particular stretch of road I've run a number of times as part of a long run, so we parked near it and made of loop from it going the opposite direction we normally run that road. Wow it felt much harder. Even though it meant I got to run down the steep hill, before that was all gradual upwards that really worked the legs. 5.5km in 35 mins.
    • Sun: 75 mins easy, 11.3km covered. Tried out a different route with a road that I'd never been on before! Aww it was great, early morning out in the country, windy roads, such joy. Got harder as it looped over the motorway and around to the town. But once I got into the town I was on familiar running ground so I just went into auto pilot. Then about 500m from home I decided to put the boot down and imagine it was the last 500m of a race. Finished on such a buzz.

18 - 24 May
    • Weds: A 5km time trial had been schedule for today so I rested for the few days beforehand. Have to say I was so nervous for this. It's ages since I've raced a 5km and after the steady training the past few weeks I was keen to see where I was at. I'd been hovering around 30 mins for so long, I did get one parkrun at 29:45 and a local 5km run at 29:35 I think - both earlier this year. I just knew I could get under 30 mins so Goal B was to get under 29:30! Back to the cycleway for this as no traffic or crossing roads to deal with. Got a 1km warm up in, felt a little tougher than it should have been and it was already getting warm at 7:30am. Km 1 5:46 - a good steady start, didn't go flying off like I normally do. Steady but still felt like I was working. Km 2 5:45 - still keeping it steady but starting to feel a bit tougher now, hoping I can maintain this pace. Km 3 - Around the 2km mark I could see something dark on the cycleway under a tree a bit up ahead. I was too far away but I could see movement. I got to the 2.5km mark and my turning point but I still couldn't figure out what was up ahead. I remembered an oldish man cycle past me on my first km all dressed in black and wondered was it him, had he taken a fall? So I kept on running straight. I got nearer and it turned out it was a homeless man enjoying a spot of breakfast. I ran past him a little turned and headed back the way. I wasn't long turned and the watched beeped for 3km. Km 4 5:54 - Felt a little out of sorts, I was further out for my distance back in the way. Head won out for a short while around the 3.5km mark but I got back on track. Km 5 5:53 - as the watch signaled the end of my 4th I could feel a stitch developing on my side, slowed down slighly and took some deep easy breaths and it subsided. Kept my pace a bit steady for 200m until I felt good and picked it up a bit for 300m. Worried I'd run out of steam I eased slightly for 100m and then decided feck it last 200m go for it. Delighted to finish in 29:23. Bit of a longer cool down shuffle back to the car. Bit of an anti climax after - home, into pjs and working from home at the kitchen table! Still doesn't feel like a real pb as I don't have a race time to back it up.
    • Thurs: 45 mins recovery run. Previous day's run was hard on the mind, today's run was hard on the legs.
    • Sat: nobody in the house was in the humour for a run so we went for a walk and explored yet another local road which I banked away in my running routes file!
    • Sun: 12.6km 1hr 30 mins. I went the route I did the previous Sunday only the opposite way and with an extra bit. It felt so much harder but I think part of it was tiredness and heat (I didn't get going til 10:30am). Not gonna lie I felt lonely on that run, I'd have loved some company distract me and pass away the kms.

25 - 31 May
    • Tues: 45 mins run 6.3km. Getting out earlier for these morning runs before the heat. Got in a 6km walk that evening.
    • Weds: Left this run til 9pm, perfect running conditions. 16 x 200m with 200m rec. Was kind of dreading this but I have to say I really enjoyed it, delighted with the paces I hit. My first 200m was 5:50min/km pace but my last one was 4:30min/km!
    • Sat: Wanted a run but wasn't in the humour to follow the group plan. Just wanted a run with no focus on distance or pace. It was fairly warm at 9:30 am but did a random ran up and down some local roads. 5.3km 37mins. Went out for a 5km walk with the husband later in the afternoon.
    • Sun: 12.5km 1hr 30 mins. Went to incorporate a bit of a route we had sussed out the weekend before on our walk. Up early on the road before 8am. After about 2km legs were already tired. Considered turning back. But kept going and the next 3km passed by quicker. Then I was down onto the cycleway and running back towards the town, a new running section for me. Aww it was lovely, such greenery and sunlight, I just wished I had a bit of company for a chat and I could have ran all day! Off the cycleway at 9.5km and from there up through the town, getting very warm now. Glad to be finished it in the end, done and dusted by 10:30 and curled up in bed for an hour with achy legs. Child wanted to go for a wander in the early evening and ended up walking about 9km in 2 hours. My legs were nearly ready to fall off!!

1 - 7 June
    • Weds: Rested for a couple of days then into Weds interval session: 8 x 400 with 200m recovery inbetween. This time I had company int he form of the husband. He was well able for the paces and it was great to have some company for a change.
    • Thurs: easy run 7km in 52 mins. Felt harder than easy. Overestimated my route or underestimated my pace - it took longer than it should have that morning and I ended up firing back on my pjs to work from home.
    • Sat: As it was Global Running Day earlier in the week I signed up to NYRR virtual mile. I'd never raced a mile, sure why not give it a bash. My pb to date was 8:45 mins. Jogged down to my starting area on the greenway just over 2km in 15 mins. God I was nervous then! I set off. In my head I had it broken down into quarters, first 400m not start too fast and it felt like a little struggle to keep the pace down. Second 400m was nice and steady, working but feeling comfortable. Then whatever happened me at 1km my head took over - how was I going to keep this pace going, I should just pull up now. I got myself back on track but my pace was very up and down. Then with 200m to go I was just going for it, keep pushing, keep going. Watch beeped for the mile - 8:30. Delighted with it. A hard distance to run, not much time for mistakes, second guessing or changing your plan. Jog back home then with a buzz!
    • Sun: shorter long run on the plan at 50 mins so I pushed it out to 55mins to get 8km done. One of those runs where I didn't get out in the morning and kept putting it on the long finger all day!

8 - 14 June
    Bit of a different week for me and went a bit off plan.
    • Tues: Hubbie was supposed to be on the Camino. He decided he would do a big long walk locally and I said I'd do it with him. Walked almost 32kms, really enjoyable and doable except for the last maybe 2kms. I don't know if it was because I knew we were near home but my feet and my hips were aching then. But it was a great experience and glad to say we did it!
    • Fri: took a couple of days to recover then out for an easy run to test the legs. 3.45km in 23 mins, legs felt grand.
    • Sat: Again off plan. I'd signed up for the Irish Runner 5km. Kiddo had mapped out a route on the greenway further up the line for a change of scenery. It ended up being one of my quicker 5kms at 29:30 (although it says 29:18 on my strava?). Splits were: 5:57, 6:02, 6:10, 5:47, 5:24. Started off fine but by the time I finished the 2nd km I was finding it though for the 3rd km. But the 4th km I felt I was really getting into my stride and the last 5km I said féck it I'd try for a fairly decent time! Happy to see that my time trial a few weeks ago wasn't a one off!
    • Sun: I think this was the one run of the week where I was on the plan! 90 mins long slow run. Covered 13.25km in this time which I'm fairly happy with, average pace 6:50mins/km. Good route, busy out with plenty of cyclists, walkers and runners. There's a busy world out there early on a Sunday morn.

15 - 21 June
    • Tues: 40 mins receovery run, 6km.
    • Weds: Intervals 6 x 800m with 400m recovery. Nice to have not as many reps.
    • Thurs: Didn't go out for a run this eve as it lashed rain.
    • Sat: Another 5km route set out by the child along the greenway. 5km 29:27. Splits: 5:54, 5:50, 5:59, 5:48, 5:42. Like the previous week I found the 3rd km the toughest - I think it's because we are turning on this km. Again with the 4th I felt back in my stride again and I pushed on for the last km. Didn't expect to get a good time, again like the previous week I was just aiming for under 30 mins. Who am I with these 5kms under 30 mins, I only dreamt of it a year ago. But maybe I'm spoiled a little running on the greenway - perhaps a "real" road with hills might put manners on me!
    • Sun: Already for my 90 mins long run and the heavens opened! Waited a bit for it to ease off, it didn't so I got back into bed! Said I'd go out after dinner but I was too full after and went for a 5km walk instead. It got to 7:30pm, too late for a long run but the guilts set in. Laced up and got out for a runabout. 6.3km in 39 mins and it was really enjoyable.

Weds 24/06/20 7.2km 47:55
    Put off Mon recovery run until Tues. Then Tues was wash out of a day. Came to Weds and as usual an intervals session. Again just not in the humour so I just went out for a run, not intervals. Had to pause a few times, the calves were heavy.

Thurs 25/06/20 7.4km 48:54
    I had said that I was lacking a bit of motivation the last few days to just get out the door. So one of the girls arranged to meet me for a run. It was to be a recovery run but we started off way too fast, excited to see each other and run together. The heat and humidity soon put manners on us and I struggled for the second half of our run. I don't think I have sweated so much in my life!

Sat 27/06/20 5km 30:30
    A showery day but myself and kiddo said we would still get our parkrun/5k fix. First time wearing a runner jacket in ages, peeled it off after 1.5km it was too warm. We had that lovely smug feeling of having got out in the rain for a run!

Sun 28/06/20 10 mile 1hr42mins
    km splits: 6:16, 6:24, 6:18, 6:20, 6:13, 6:24, 6:27, 6:15, 6:23, 6:32, 6:25, 6:17, 6:11, 6:25, 6:21, 6:04
    Setting out this morning I had neither planned that distance nor that pace! Met a friend for a run of a local loop which is about 12km. That was my plan at about 6:30-6:45 mins per km. We just got into a stride, I felt I was working but it was comfortable enough to chat (just about!). Few drops of rain but grand and cool. We were about 7 or 8km gone when she mentioned 10 mile! I said we'd see, but when we got about 1 km from the end of the loop we turned right and headed out the road so looks like I was doing 10 miles! Now the last 3km were a bit tough - I hadn't brought sweets or jellies or anything to have, just water. But I was so happy when we finished, I couldn't believe the time. I've signed up for a 10 mile race in August and as I've never raced that distance before but covered it in halves & training for them - I figured I'd be about 1hr 45. Might revise that down to 1hr 40! Or was that just a fluke or have I peaked too soon?!

Mon 29/6/20 7.93km 53:33
    Back in the park for training at long last! Nice to get a change of scenery. The session was 3 by 2km with receoveries. Tough session to start back on but the company made it easier, nice to see some faces I hadn't seen in months.

Weds 01/07/20 5.3km 35:19
    2 mins fast, 1 min receovery for 35 mins. My 2 mins fast were about 5:5x mins/km pace which I was happy enough with. Gosh to think back when running 5km in 35 mins was a good time for me in a race.

Fri 03/07/20 5 mile 51:36
    Splits: 5:51, 5:44, 6:04, 7:02, 6:48, 7:00, 6:19, 6:23
    I had signed up the the Irish Runner 5 mile, but I wasn't really in the humour for this run but it had to be done anyway. Started off grand, was flying it but felt good, turn off at 2.5km and I kinda felt I had started too fast. Just after 3km there was a flyover bridge over the motorway and it just emptied my legs. Feck I'm not even half way and I'm spent. Tried to put the head down and run towards the village and another turn off at 4.5km and further moment where I was tempted to pull the plug on the run. The next 2km felt like stop and starts, I just wanted to get home. Last km and it was just knuckle down and get home. One of my slower 5 mile "races" - disappointed not to get 50:xx.

Sun 05/07/20 5km 33:14
    Splits: 6:46, 6:36, 6:51, 6:41, 6:14
    Was away for this run so enjoyed it as a nice steady run with a chat, a shore breeze and a change of scenery.

• Advertisement

Mon 06/07/20 4.3km 34:03
    This was nearer 5km but I had paused the watch and forgot to resume. I had a notion in my head that I wanted to run along the beach. That it would be great and refreshing. Reality was trying to find the bit of sand that was neither too soft nor in the water, a shore breeze and the surface being harder to run on. But happy to have run all the same and to paddle out in the water after.

Sat 11/07/20 5km 34:22
    Splits: 6:44, 6:47, 7:09, 6:52, 6:48
    For some reason I didn't get a chance to get out for a run all week. So I had a warm leisurely lunchtime run on the Saturday to stretch out the legs ahead of an actual race the next day!

Sun 12/07/20 10km 1:01:12 (per strava)
    Splits: 5:54, 5:45, 6:04, 6:06, 6:31, 5:57, 6:10, 6:38, 6:10, 6:06
    An actual race - remember them! So so long since I'd run an actual race I was a pure bag of nerves. I'd been doing a nice amount of running the past few months and it's been ages since I'd run a 10km I really wanted to do quite well at it. Got a good 1.5km warm up so the calves were well loosened up.
    Social distancing and covid safety measures were in place and felt perfectly safe.
    Started off at the back and passed a few people out on the first 500m. As I went to settle in with a group I found that the pace was a little fast, in the high 5 mins per km. I tried to stick with it as much as I could but after 3km I had to easy up a bit to approx 6:05 mins/km. At about 4.5km I had a brief walking break and as it was a two lap course I was nearly tempted to pull the plug. By the time I got to the halfway mark the place was very quiet, the 5km race had started half an hour after our start so they had all just gone. I think this distracted me a bit for the next 2km as I was passing people doing the 5km. Another very brief walk just after 7km and I got a mad notion that I could somehow catch up on my husband who was running the 5km (I never did even get near him). But that kept me going and I won't lie I did find it tough and wondering did I bite off more than I could chew with a 10km and if I'm a bit optimistic at ducking in under 60 mins for a 10km in the near future. At the end my watch measured a bit longer than 10km, my chip time didn't match my watch so I'm finding it a bit difficult to say if it was a pb or not. A lovely soak of the legs in the lake after hit the spot!

Advertisement