Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Marlay opening is so inconsistent at the min. Its can be anytime between 6.15 and 8.00 it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Likely the heat. I did same today. No water. So thirsty and HR definitely up a few beats. Yikes you took off at some sprint for the TT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Marlay opening is so inconsistent at the min. Its can be anytime between 6.15 and 8.00 it seems

I haven't been up there much since it came back into my radius so I'd no idea! I'd be up there more if it wasn't 3 miles uphill from where I am :pac:

Likely the heat. I did same today. No water. So thirsty and HR definitely up a few beats. Yikes you took off at some sprint for the TT!

I really did :o literally lost the run of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Happy to take the blame for you not checking the watch. Although I'm a bit like Roy Keane and can completely contradict myself one week to the next. I was keeping an eye on the watch this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Although I'm a bit like Roy Keane and can completely contradict myself one week to the next.

Haha, I laughed at this! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I am also now determined to run a sub 6 mile before the year is out. I don't care, I'm really going to try make it happen.
    Are you thinking of doing some mile-specific training later on in the year? I'll be very interested to read about it if you do! And I have no doubt that you'll make that goal happen.

eyrie wrote:
    Are you thinking of doing some mile-specific training later on in the year? I'll be very interested to read about it if you do! And I have no doubt that you'll make that goal happen.

I dunno. What do you think I should do?! :p I'd kinda love to try that, but I'm not sure I have the talent / speed to make it worthwhile... Then again, it's not like I have that at any particular distance and that doesn't stop me following 10k or HM plans !! I'd have to do some research on the training but that's half the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If it's something you're even vaguely intrigued by I say give it a go - that was my experience anyway with the 800. Training for middle distance events is very different, and you find out stuff about yourself that you probably wouldn't otherwise. It's a pity there will (probably) be no graded meets this year where you could have had a few more stabs at the distance. You've already sampled the NIA (I think?) which might be an option much later in the year, or early next year. Of course with no certainly about racing at any distance in the immediate future, it's hard to know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Well done on the TT but definitely went the wrong way round. Have made the same mistake, next time 💪

Murph_D wrote: »
    If it's something you're even vaguely intrigued by I say give it a go - that was my experience anyway with the 800. Training for middle distance events is very different, and you find out stuff about yourself that you probably wouldn't otherwise. It's a pity there will (probably) be no graded meets this year where you could have had a few more stabs at the distance. You've already sampled the NIA (I think?) which might be an option much later in the year, or early next year. Of course with no certainly about racing at any distance in the immediate future, it's hard to know what to do.
    I really found your 800 training interesting and honestly was part of what makes me think why would I not try something like it :) Yes I did the NIA mile once with the club and really enjoyed it. I think it has more chance of happening again than a lot of road races so could work out well.. I'll keep going with this 10k training for now anyway :)

Wottle wrote: »
    Well done on the TT but definitely went the wrong way round. Have made the same mistake, next time 💪
    Ha I was so sure I ran the direction you suggested :o I'll just have to give it another bash in about 6 weeks won't I!

• Advertisement

I dunno. What do you think I should do?! :p I'd kinda love to try that, but I'm not sure I have the talent / speed to make it worthwhile... Then again, it's not like I have that at any particular distance and that doesn't stop me following 10k or HM plans !! I'd have to do some research on the training but that's half the fun
    Well I reckon this is the year for mixing things up anyway! I think it'd be really fun to properly target a mile some time, and you seem way more suited to it/better at it than me, so selfishly I'd love to see what you'd do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Ha I was so sure I ran the direction you suggested :o I'll just have to give it another bash in about 6 weeks won't I!

My bad, when you said started downhill, I thought you went clockwise and over the little bridge first.

eyrie wrote: »
    Well I reckon this is the year for mixing things up anyway! I think it'd be really fun to properly target a mile some time, and you seem way more suited to it/better at it than me, so selfishly I'd love to see what you'd do with it!
    Based on your total of 1 attempt?! You'll do even better on a next attempt purely from knowing what it's like I think.

Based on your total of 1 attempt?! You'll do even better on a next attempt purely from knowing what it's like I think.
    Ah no I wasn't even really thinking of the actual attempt, I more meant that I think you're really good at digging in, getting into the kind of pain we probably need to be in, and pushing yourself through it. So I can only imagine if you trained for a mile on top of that you'd do great.

Mon 1st June
    No running as per the plan. I did a very gentle S&C session in the morning, and then was absolutely lazy for the rest of the bank holiday :D

Tues 2nd June
    Session morning. I headed over to UCD to run on the grass as I could feel all the paths have been having an effect on my legs. Discovered when the watch beeped to start the session that I had chosen the wrong workout :rolleyes: stop, go again. Picked another wrong session.. 3rd time lucky! The session was 3 minute reps in Zone 4, the pace was ok, but my calf was not. Realllly sore. I kept telling myself I should pack it in but my stubborn side kept asking how bad is it really? In the end I said I'd stop after 5 reps.. turns out that was the full session anyway! I had 8 in my head for some reason. Tried to jog it home but ended up walking. Lots of proper stretches and a bit of foam rolling and it was fine by evening.. so I decided to do a HIIT session. As I write this, I am questioning myself, don't worry.

Weds 3rd June
    An easy run, made sure to do the glute activation stuff before I headed out and thankfully the calf was feeling reasonably ok. The cooler weather helped control the HR too. 4m @ 9.37/m, avg HR 141.

Thurs 4th June
    Another short easy run, 4m @ 9.32/m, avg HR 141. This was evening time as I absolutely struggled to get out of bed that morning. I felt really good and it felt so easy that I started thinking about morning vs evening runs in terms of HR, and then I started thinking about how I feel so many things are affecting HR on different days which led me to wonder if I will have any idea what shape I am in at the end of this plan?! Sigh.
    25 mins of 'stability' work off the UA Instagram page.

Fri 5th June
    I actually managed to get up early for a speed session on a Friday again. 8 x 1 min in Zone 5, 2 mins recovery. I walked the first 30 secs or so of the recoveries to bring the HR down quicker. My 1st rep was the slowest, the last was the fastest, which made me happy and paces were decent enough. All on grass again.
    25 mins S&C in the evening.

Sat 6th June
    Easy run, 5m @ 9.44/m, avg HR 143. The wind annoyed me as I was trying to control my effort / HR and not very successfully at times. Home to 40 mins mobility stuff, really good.

Sun 7th June
    A 'fast finish' long run - except I added a cool down so it's not exactly a fast finish :) This went great. Lovely temperature for running and not as windy, and the 15 mins in Z3 felt really good. 8.4m avg pace 9.33/m and avg HR 146.

30.1 miles for this week.

I am thinking it makes more sense for me to add a week and just do my 10k TT the same weekend as the Boards one, rather than the weekend before as I had planned - which will mean losing my very generous pacer offer from Murph_D . But I might try persuade my younger brother to do it.. he seems to have worked on his pacing discipline during lockdown so it could still work out :pac:

Mon 8th June
    Easy 5 miles, 9.55/m, avg HR 140.
    Gentle enough S&C 30 mins that evening.

Tues 9th June
    Long intervals sessions - 5 x 5 mins in Zone 4. Suppose this is quite like the CV session towards the end of the grads 10k plan. I went over to UCD to get this done and actually didn't use the HR chest strap. It's been leaving a mark / chafe on my side which got quite sore, so I tried to keep it by pace (7.40 or so) and half use the watch HR - it's definitely out a few beats. Paces varied from 7.36 up to 7.49 so it went fairly well. I walked the first half of each of the 3 minute recoveries to let the HR settle more.

Weds 10th June
    Easy run in the evening. 4.5 miles, 9.50/m, avg HR 147 which is a tad high but not unexpected.
    Did another of those stability workouts, 30 mins, and I really think there is an improvement, albeit slight, in my balance.

Thurs 11th June
    Another easy run in the evening after I really struggled to get out of bed that morning! 5 miles, 9.52/m, avg HR 143.
    30 mins mobility and core work.

Fri 12th June
    A mixed interval session which took a lot of concentration to program into the app! Maybe it's time for a fancy table :pac:

Rep Time|HR Zone|Actual Pace|Avg HR|Recovery Time
    1:30|Zone 5|06:18|170|2:30
    1:30|Zone 5|06:11|168|2:30
    5:00|Zone 4|07:58|167|2:00
    5:00|Zone 4|07:55|165|2:00
    10:00|Zone 3|8:49, 9:13|159, 161|2:00
    1:30|Zone 5|07:54|157|2:30
    1:30|Zone 5|06:55|168|2:30
    5:00|Zone 4|07:42|168|2:00
    5:00|Zone 4|07:55|166|2:00

I messed up the second lot of Zone 5 reps, I thought it was zone 4 at first so was running too easy and then on the next I just couldn't get my HR up. Overall, I was fairly happy with this. I'd been putting it off all day out of a bit of fear, but got through it relatively ok, even if I'm not overjoyed at the paces. 8 miles total.

Sat 13th June
    Kept it to a short 5k recovery run. Could definitely feel the session the day before in my legs. 10.31/m, avg HR 138.
    35 mins mobility and core.

Sun 14th June
    I eventually got myself out the door for the long run, having been overserved at a virtual hen last night :pac: and yes, I was doing the serving :o
    It was another of the long runs with 10 x 0.25 miles in Zone 3, otherwise Zone 2. I did the same route as the last time because it was just easier in my slightly fragile state. I'd made sure to hydrate all day so I actually felt mostly ok when I got going. There is a definite fade in pace and HR going up in all my long runs still but I suppose there is an element of that to be expected? 12 miles total, avg pace 9.56/m, avg HR 148.

Total miles for the week: 44. It was a tough week, those sessions were daunting enough and I've been quite stressed with work so happy to have gotten it all done.
    There are 2 weeks left on the plan, but I need to add a 3rd to bring me to the TT weekend. I might just do week 11 twice, as it has similar sessions to the week just done and a decent long run. Delighted to still have the very kind pacing offer from Murph_D available also for the morning, hope it's not against the rules! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its not against the rules ;) A PR is a PR, they only matter to yourself anyway :)

The rate you're going you'll be pacing me rather than the other way around. ;)

I wouldn't try to run zone 4 and 5 by HR - use the McMillan paces like the book suggests, as HR lags behind too much on shorter reps to be helpful for pacing them.

If repeating a week, I'd choose the least intense one available, or put an extra 'in between' one together according to the principles of the plan.

Nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

No mention on the calves; how are they behaving?

I hear ya on the chest monitor chafe; I've had to give mine a break for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was a great LR with a hangover :eek:

Really excited to see how the 10k goes for you! Have you a route planned?

• Advertisement

The rate you're going you'll be pacing me rather than the other way around. ;)

I wouldn't try to run zone 4 and 5 by HR - use the McMillan paces like the book suggests, as HR lags behind too much on shorter reps to be helpful for pacing them.

If repeating a week, I'd choose the least intense one available, or put an extra 'in between' one together according to the principles of the plan.

Nice work!

I only re-read that bit about using paces for those sessions a couple of weeks back but had forgotten it again. It definitely worked better for me on the first session last week doing that.

I think a mix of the last 2 weeks of the plan might be a good extra week. The final week is very easy and I don't fancy 2 weeks of that!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    No mention on the calves; how are they behaving?

I hear ya on the chest monitor chafe; I've had to give mine a break for the same reason.

I have a daily reminder on my phone now to do the calf exercises, and once I don't ignore that alarm too often the calves are good. I'll feel it when I've not done them for a few days so that gets me back into it. It's going to be a longtime cycle of that I reckon. I try to make myself do more glute activation stuff pre-run as often as I can as well, but I'm less disciplined about that sadly.

ariana` wrote: »
    That was a great LR with a hangover :eek:

Really excited to see how the 10k goes for you! Have you a route planned?

The sea air helped knock the last of the hangover out of me I think :pac:

I'm thinking the National 10k aka Great Ireland run route.. plenty of space with it being in the Phoenix Park plus it's where my current PB is from so it will be a good gauge.. I hope. I'm not feeling very confident about it if I'm honest but we shall see!

Mon 15th
    Easy / recovery run without the HR strap. 4.5 miles @ 10.13/m. Legs a bit stiff to start but got an extra zing towards the end.
    Back at my old S&C classes that morning - they've adapted with a nice little setup of individual training pods for the class and half open roof. Be great to see what bad habits I've picked up :)

Tues 16th
    Long interval run. I did this by pace after the reminder from Murph_D last week. McMillan suggested these should be done between 6.42 - 7.06 (eek), so that was the goal. 6 x 3 mins Zone 4, paces were 6.51, 7.10, 7.17, 7.26 (dog incident), 6.57, 7.09. Reasonably happy with it. 2 min recoveries, jogged the first 2 then 1 min walk in the next 4.
    10 mins of core exercises when I got home.

Weds 17th
    Easy run, 5 miles @ 10.04/m, avg HR 139.
    35 mins of the stability / balance stuff I've been doing. I can see improvements (however slight!).

Thurs 18th
    Another easy run in the evening drizzle. The cooler weather definitely helps my HR positively. 5 miles @ 9.49m, avg HR 140.
    Another 40 min S&C class that morning.

Fri 19th
    Mixed intervals session, waited until afternoon to do them. Went by paces for the Zone 4 and 5 reps. Tried to do most of the reps (apart from Zone 3) on the grass. I was pretty happy with this, enjoyable session for the most part. 7 miles total for the day.

1:00|Zone 5|06:03|169|2:00
    1:00|Zone 5|06:02|166|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:20|167|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:16|170|2:00
    10:00|Zone 3|8:54, 8:53|160, 163|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:22|168|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:37|169|2:00
    1:00|Zone 5|06:09|168|2:00
    1:00|Zone 5|05:55|166|2:00

Sat 20th
    I only had about 12 hours until my next run though and had a sleep like the one the night before an early flight when you're afraid you'll sleep in :) There had been messages going around the club about a Summer Solstice run, which sounded so lovely that I just had to say yes. Up to Kilmashogue car park for 3.55am to start running at 4am. The head torches were only needed for about 10 mins when the day started to wake. We were running gently enough thankfully as I haven't been up the hills in ages, although my legs felt pretty good. We made it up to the Fairy Castle with about 7 or 8 mins to spare and watched the sunrise. It was pretty magical to be honest. Stupid grin on my face for the whole run! Just under 6 miles for the morning.
    25 mins of proper stretching / mobility later in the morning, 2 naps and a nice walk around Marlay in the afternoon with one of the women in the club.

Sun 21st
    Long run with 8 x 0.25 miles in Zone 3. I'd had a great sleep the night before so I felt quite good for this. There is a huge difference in pace and HR when you're running into the wind and with the wind however! But it was great to get the 10 miles in without any drama. Avg pace 9.27/m, avg HR 146.

Total miles: 42.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Was pretty jealous of that solstice run when I saw it in my Strava feed on Saturday, fair play for getting up that early. Pictures were great.

Based on your A/R/T question/interview thingy, I've worked through a few of the Jack Reacher books sequentially. They're a good read and I've been using them as a break between heavier reads. Felt the first book was the most impressive thus far. Got a shock when I realised how many there are in the series though.

This week was made up a bit as I went along as the extra week in the plan. I wanted to reduce the mileage but not as low as if it was the actual last week in the plan.

Mon 22nd June
    No run, no S&C. Just a nice evening stroll for some air.

Tues 23rd June
    I did the same interval run as Tues of last week, but hovered between keeping an eye on pace and HR. 6 x 3 mins in Zone 4, with 2 min recoveries (60 sec walk, 60 sec jog). Paces were slower than last week (7.35, 7.05, 7.18, 7.23, 7.20, 7.42), but I was happy enough with it. I'm really enjoying being able to use UCD for sessions.
    15 mins HIIT in the evening.

Weds 24th June
    Into S&C class in the morning. I was the only one so was able to focus on my areas of need i.e. my clicky hips :) They only click with some movements, never running but it's a sign they need a bit of work all the same, especially after the hills last weekend as well. I think the downhill had brought on a bit of shin splint pain again on my left leg, so had to use the freeze gel a couple of nights. Seems to be ok again..
    Short easy run in the evening, and it was one of those runs where the legs just felt great and every step felt smooth. 4.3 miles @ 9.36/m, avg HR 141.

Thurs 25th June
    Another short easy run. 4 miles @ 9.56/m, avg HR 142. I think I'm seeing the difference in evening vs first thing in the morning runs.

Fri 26th June
    Into S&C again in the morning.
    I chose a shorter version of the mixed intervals runs from the book for the session at lunchtime. I did it all on grass (apart from warm-up and cool down to and from home), and was quite happy with it despite the mugginess.
    1:30|Zone 5|05:58|168|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:14|168|2:00
    10:00|Zone 3|8:36|163|2:00
    3:00|Zone 4|07:32|170|2:00
    1:30|Zone 5|05:52|174|2:00

Sat 27th June
    Easy run and another where the legs felt really good. 5.1 miles @ 9.19/m, avg HR 141. The lower temps are great for the HR though. I had to take off my glasses with the heavy rain, managed to drop them and just about avoided stepping on them!! Not used to running in rain anymore :)
    30 mins mobility and a bit of core when I got home.

Sun 28th June
    I'd decided to head to the Phoenix Park to remind myself of the GIR route ahead of next week's TT. I studied the route last night intently so I couldn't possibly take a wrong turn :rolleyes: Spoiler: I did.
    Parked near the polo grounds and headed up Chesterfield avenue, noticed it was fairly windy but the legs were turning over nicely. The long run on the plan was the one from last week, but I decided to just do one of the fast finish ones (although I always add a cool down after the faster bit). I really like the GIR route, when run correctly at least. I missed the turn for the Acres, and refused to check my phone until I was a fair bit past it. When I copped, I turned into towards those sports fields and decided to run back to the proper road to go along there, and had a lovely headwind nearly stopping me! By the time I got to the roundabout on Chesterfield, I was in the 15 mins Zone 3 bit (with the legs still moving well) and I knew I wouldn't bother do the last part of the route. I was into the wind again on the .. eh other side of the park (don't know the road name) and trying to keep some pace going, so was very happy to be back to easy pace for the cool down along Chesterfield avenue and a nice wind on my back. 9 miles for the morning by the time I got back to the car.
    I had a good mix of head and tail winds, so I can only assume the cooler temperatures were the cause of better paces for the HR zones. Whatever it was, I felt really fit this morning! Hopefully that carries through to next week :D Thankfully, Murph_D seems to know the Phoenix Park better than I do so we should avoid wrong turns :pac:

Total miles: 33.2

I haven't checked the plan yet for the last week properly, but I assume it will be fairly low mileage. Looking forward to next Sat now, hope the wind fecks off now!

Haha. That's what reccies are for, after all. Good work, great to have that feeling strong sensation close to the end of the programme. It's a tough plan and you seem to have come through it well - those zone 4 / 5 workouts are tough.

Forecast for Sat looks good at the moment. ;)

Haha. That's what reccies are for, after all. Good work, great to have that feeling strong sensation close to the end of the programme. It's a tough plan and you seem to have come through it well - those zone 4 / 5 workouts are tough.

Forecast for Sat looks good at the moment. ;)

The Zone 4 sessions are the toughest I think, especially when you're hitting the 5 min reps. The main feeling at the end of those was always relief that I actually got them done. It's been an interesting plan to follow anyway, be interesting to see how I feel about it next week :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

Seeing as you're our resident S&C wizard...

https://twitter.com/BJSM_BMJ/status/1277693858332266502

Am I?!

It's interesting. I'm obviously a big supporter of regular S&C (now) but I wouldn't have a clue if what they say is a myth is in fact a myth.I'd assume it's like a lot of things - everyone is different and benefits in different ways. The S&C classes I attend focus firstly on technique before ever adding heavier weights, or even trying to push reps, which I think is a good approach.

Advertisement