Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 04/12 (Spence v Garcia, Saunders v Murray, Yarde v Arthur)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Interesting comments from hearne saying the problem with Saunders is that he is never in shape at short notice. He asked him not to put too much weight on over Christmas.
    Basically I take it as meaning Smith got the Canelo fight because Saunders wasn't prepared.

He definitely didn't look in condition tonight anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Interesting comments from hearne saying the problem with Saunders is that he is never in shape at short notice. He asked him not to put too much weight on over Christmas.
    Basically I take it as meaning Smith got the Canelo fight because Saunders wasn't prepared.

He definitely didn't look in condition tonight anyway.

You could also argue his promoter should be able to get the fights done with proper notice.

It sounds like BJS needs to know who and when his next opponent is while walking out of the ring to stay focused too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    You could also argue his promoter should be able to get the fights done with proper notice.

It sounds like BJS needs to know who and when his next opponent is while walking out of the ring to stay focused too though.

Billy Joe is going to pay for not being professional outside the ring. If only he had Chris Eubank Jr's dedication to fitness (or vice versa, CJ had his ability) you'd possibly have a great boxer. Sadly at this stage it just won't happen for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ajsmiles

Murray was so unlucky vs sturm, Martinez . Plenty poorer fighters won world titles. Much respect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Yarde v Arthur about to start now. Surprised by the lack of interest tbh. Should be a good fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Cagey opener in the yarde fight. Arthur probably landing the better jabs to sneak it.

Arthur's jab is legit world class

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arthur schooling Yarde at the moment. Tame enough affair however.

There was a rumour that Arthur hurt his right hand in the warm up. Think he's thrown it twice. Lucky his jab is so good but you'd think eventually Yarde realises this and ups the pressure. Whether he has the gas tank to do it is the other thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    There was a rumour that Arthur hurt his right hand in the warm up. Think he's thrown it twice. Lucky his jab is so good but you'd think eventually Yarde realises this and ups the pressure. Whether he has the gas tank to do it is the other thing.

Yeh.

Was thinking he has only been jabbing and moving backwards mostly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This fight has been poor enough do far

titan18 wrote: »
    This fight has been poor enough do far

A jab fest..

walshb wrote: »
    A jab fest..

I'd say a feint fest myself

Yarde spending too much time trying to counter a lad that is moving backwards and feinting.. makes no sense..

Lots of those rounds too close to call as feck all happened. I think Arthur fought his best fight that he could whereas Yarde didn't do enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well deserved win for Arthur. The judge that came up with that score to Yarde should never be let near a boxing ring again.
    I thought it was a clear two round win for Arthur personally.
    I wouldn't be complaining too much if he'd lost it by a round though.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well deserved win for Arthur. The judge that came up with that score to Yarde should never be let near a boxing ring again.

Here we go again...

Loads very close difficult rds to score...

Here we go again...

Ya, lot of rounds were very 50/50 to me. I don't think round 1 had a punch landed so that could easily have gone to either fight depending on what the judge prefers.

To me that fight was probably 55/45 to Arthur but could easily have swung the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

eagle eye wrote: »

Agreed. The scores some of these judges come up with are simply mind boggling. How he can say 117-111 Yarde is just crazy. You would expect three so called experts to come up with scores that are somewhat close to each other. It's as if he was watching a different fight to the two other judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

terrible fight.
    Yarde lost to someone who wouldnt throw a right hand.

• Advertisement

Agreed. The scores some of these judges come up with are simply mind boggling. How he can say 117-111 Yarde is just crazy. You would expect three so called experts to come up with scores that are somewhat close to each other. It's as if he was watching a different fight to the two other judges.

That’s a nonsense..

Judged loads amateur fights with 30-27 either way that can be easily justified

It’s a human endeavour. With close rds these wide scores can be justified..

Not sure why people can’t grasp this simplicity.

Had it 114-114 myself. Yarde needed to put the same pressure he put on in the 12th for the four or five previous. That Tunde Ajayi he has in his corner is a total spoofer and should've been sacked after the Kovalev fight.

Discussing Dubois now with their new medical evidence..

Changes nothing. He quit...simple. No real shame. He’s human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

I'm actually shocked at how poor yarde was

Bar 12th round didn't really go for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

That’s a nonsense..

Judged loads amateur fights with 30-27 either way that can be easily justified

It’s a human endeavour. With close rds these wide scores can be justified..

Not sure why people can’t grasp this simplicity.

Human endeavour ... of course it couldn't be down to a bad judge as we all know there are none of those in boxing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,603 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    No matter what way you looked at it there was five clear rounds to Arthur, as such I said I wouldn't be consuming too much if he lost by a point even though if disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Terrible fight to watch. How Yarde let Arthur dictate terms like that with only the jab is beyond me. Arthur has very ordinary defence too. I wondered what the Kovalev fight took out of Yarde and that’s the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Ref could have stopped that earlier. Quick win from fondura here, then on to the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

That dude is a freak, with all due respect. 6 ft 6 and 154 lbs?? Wow

• Advertisement

Good win from Spence. About what you'd expect. Went a bit Oscar v Tito taking his foot off the gas late on but result never felt in doubt. Danny Garcia game as ever.

Hopefully we see more momentum behind making Spence v Crawford now. Best fight in boxing bar none.

Advertisement