Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miami Dolphins Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

donfers wrote: »
    we still almost blew it, as only we can, with that last second play by the steelers, majorly bailed out by that centimetre of antonio brown's foot on the sideline

we had them on their ten yard line, first down and a minute to go and called four conservative running plays instead of going for the TD, almost cost us, need to be more aggressive

There was an illegal lateral on the Brown play, so even if it was given as a TD, it would have been reversed on the review. But, it was still a heart stopping moment.

I can understand why they went conservative. I mean, they had to go ninety yards in under a minute, with no timeouts. The chances of converting that are very low, even if they did come close to doing so. Had they of went for the TD then you risk leaving about 40 more seconds on the clock with an in-completion or worse still, a turnover.

If the Steelers had a few timeouts going into the final two minutes, then I think Philbin would have probably went for a TD to make it a two score lead. I personally would be more concerned with the clock management at the end of the 1st half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

TaosHum wrote: »
    There was an illegal lateral on the Brown play, so even if it was given as a TD, it would have been reversed on the review. But, it was still a heart stopping moment.

I can understand why they went conservative. I mean, they had to go ninety yards in under a minute, with no timeouts. The chances of converting that are very low, even if they did come close to doing so. Had they of went for the TD then you risk leaving about 40 more seconds on the clock with an in-completion or worse still, a turnover.

If the Steelers had a few timeouts going into the final two minutes, then I think Philbin would have probably went for a TD to make it a two score lead. I personally would be more concerned with the clock management at the end of the 1st half.

how do you foresee our last three games going?

we should defeat the bills and the jets?

also the patriots are not as good as their record suggests, a lot of narrow comeback victories for them

we could win all three

donfers wrote: »
    how do you foresee our last three games going?

we should defeat the bills and the jets?

also the patriots are not as good as their record suggests, a lot of narrow comeback victories for them

we could win all three

As you already mentioned, the Fins have a habit of messing up good situations. So although a sweep of the next three games is a realistic target, I'm still not confident of it happening.

Even though the Pats are not playing at the level you would expect and Gronk is done, they still have a very good record against Miami. Think they have won 9 of the last 11 games.

The Bills at Buffalo in December will not be easy and the Fins have struggled in the past against them at this time of year. The Fins seem to have the measure of the Jets and Geno at the moment, so I'd probably be most confident of beating them. But if the Fins are in a position to clinch a playoff spot, they won't make it easy.

Honestly, this team could very well beat the Pats and make a balls of it against either the Bills or Jets (or even both). I wouldn't bet against anything happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Looking at the final schedule for the steelers and ravens......8-8 could get the Fins in the playoffs, 9-7 definitely will....yesterday was HUGE!

screenshot2013-11-28at7-41-14pm_crop_exact.png

Antonio-Brown.finalplay.403.png

Karma???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I expect you guys to beat us Sunday. Our patchwork defense which did well early in the season has long gone past running on fumes. Our offense even with Gronk on the field, still hasn't really found it's rhythm this season. With Brady anything is possible, but he can't be expected keep leading last minute comebacks. So I expect it to end this week in Miami. I always thought you guys would be our biggest competition this year in the AFC East. So I'll be surprised if you don't get out of the Division. And that was a very commendable win against the Steelers in the snow. For a team not used to playing in those conditions, it really was an excellent win.

I expect you guys to beat us Sunday. Our patchwork defense which did well early in the season has long gone past running on fumes. Our offense even with Gronk on the field, still hasn't really found it's rhythm this season. With Brady anything is possible, but he can't be expected keep leading last minute comebacks. So I expect it to end this week in Miami. I always thought you guys would be our biggest competition this year in the AFC East. So I'll be surprised if you don't get out of the Division. And that was a very commendable win against the Steelers in the snow. For a team not used to playing in those conditions, it really was an excellent win.

Best thing I heard all weekend was Philbin's response when he was asked about how they prepared for the cold.....apparently they trained at their indoor facility and turned the AC up......they managed to get the temperature down to 70

I'm nervous about this one. I'd never right off the Pats with Brady pulling the trigger. Although you guys may not be blowing teams away, your still getting the W's.

No Gronk though is massive, as it takes away a huge headache for Coyle to deal with. Focus will now be shifted to Amendola and I can see Grimes (who has been excellent this season) being matched up on him all day. I do worry however at the Fins ability to stop the ground game.

An interesting battle for me will be how Chandler Jones does on Bryant McKinnie. To his credit, McKinnie has been good since he has come in and done well on Jones in the first game at Foxboro.

One thing I'd be confident of is the game going down to the wire. Both Miami and NE have had alot of games this season go down to the final possession/two minutes. How Miami deal with the pressure of the importance of this game will also be interesting to see.

Yes I think you're right about it going down to the wire alright. One thing I omitted from my last post was mentioning Coach Philbin. I don't know what you Dolphin fans think, but I think he's done a really fine job especially in light of all that Incognito crap and distractions. Things could have easily imploded for the season, but didn't and I think the HC should get some credit for that. I see 3 of you losses were by a FG or less, so you could be just as easily be sitting at 10-3 right now. Of course I'm glad that hasn't happened :pac:. I think Tannehill is doing a very good job and is settling in nicely. How the kid has not been hospitalised with all those sacks is a miracle imo. I thought our sack rate was poor this year and then I looked at the sack numbers on Ryan. I nearly had to lie down after reading it. :eek:

Yes I think you're right about it going down to the wire alright. One thing I omitted from my last post was mentioning Coach Philbin. I don't know what you Dolphin fans think, but I think he's done a really fine job especially in light of all that Incognito crap and distractions. Things could have easily imploded for the season, but didn't and I think the HC should get some credit for that. I see 3 of you losses were by a FG or less, so you could be just as easily be sitting at 10-3 right now. Of course I'm glad that hasn't happened :pac:. I think Tannehill is doing a very good job and is settling in nicely. How the kid has not been hospitalised with all those sacks is a miracle imo. I thought our sack rate was poor this year and then I looked at the sack numbers on Ryan. I nearly had to lie down after reading it. :eek:

Over the first 8 weeks, Tannehill was getting massacred. Think the Fins were giving up something like 6 sacks a game and as a result Tannehill was fumbling the ball too often. Surprisingly, things began to settle down once McKinnie came in and Incognito & Martin went out. The O-Line is by no means sorted, but its not giving up near as much pressure as it was and Tannehill is getting more time.

Your right about Philbin, he deserves alot of credit for keeping this team moving in the right direction when it looked as if things were about to capitulate. After the Tampa game, I didn't think we would be in the situation we are now.

At the same time, I wouldn't be his biggest fan. He tends to get out coached quite abit, especially after half time adjustments. Hell, just look at the game in Foxboro earlier in the season. The Fins only scored 3 points in the second after dominating the first half. The Fins had no answer to Belichick's adjustments.

Leadership (or lack of) has been an issue also. However seeing the team recover after going behind from two quick TD's in the third against the Steelers was encouraging. A sign that maybe the players are starting to believe and trust what Philbin is doing.

Looking to Sunday, I can't remember the last time I've seen such a weak (or weakened) Patriots side. Off the top of my head, you guys will be missing Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, Kelly. Then you have guys that have been dealing with ongoing injuries like Spikes, Vereen, Dobson, Talib, Gregory, etc. So with all the injuries, the Fins finding some form and the game being in SunLife, everything should point towards a Miami win.

Yet I can't see anything else but the Patriots walking out with a W.

• Advertisement

Over the first 8 weeks, Tannehill was getting massacred. Think the Fins were giving up something like 6 sacks a game and as a result Tannehill was fumbling the ball too often. Surprisingly, things began to settle down once McKinnie came in and Incognito & Martin went out. The O-Line is by no means sorted, but its not giving up near as much pressure as it was and Tannehill is getting more time.

There was one game a few weeks back and I was seriously worried for young Tannehill. The poor kid was nearly getting killed after every snap. It was actually so bad, I had to stop looking and that's coming from a Pats fan. So I'm glad to here his working environment has become a bit safer in recent weeks.
    At the same time, I wouldn't be his biggest fan. He tends to get out coached quite abit, especially after half time adjustments. Hell, just look at the game in Foxboro earlier in the season. The Fins only scored 3 points in the second after dominating the first half. The Fins had no answer to Belichick's adjustments.

I wouldn't be too harsh on him for that though. Belichick has outfoxed nearly every team in the second half with his adjustments all season. So I don't think that game was a negative reflection on Philbin in anyway.
    Leadership (or lack of) has been an issue also. However seeing the team recover after going behind from two quick TD's in the third against the Steelers was encouraging. A sign that maybe the players are starting to believe and trust what Philbin is doing.

It was was an excellent win for you guys and it really does show to me, that Philbin is on the right track and doing something right.
    Looking to Sunday, I can't remember the last time I've seen such a weak (or weakened) Patriots side. Off the top of my head, you guys will be missing Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, Kelly. Then you have guys that have been dealing with ongoing injuries like Spikes, Vereen, Dobson, Talib, Gregory, etc. So with all the injuries, the Fins finding some form and the game being in SunLife, everything should point towards a Miami win.

Yet I can't see anything else but the Patriots walking out with a W.

At the start of the season, I would have been happy with the rebuilt offense & the rookies showing some promise for 2014. And that was before the injury massacre got even worse. I predicted an 11-5 season for us way back in the prediction thread. So I expect to lose to you guys and the Ravens and I could be spot on yet. You can't see a Dolphins win and I can't see a Pats win, hey maybe it will be a tie. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Actually starting to believe we can do this. Baltimore have tougher games than us and if we can bring confidence from the Steelers game we COULD knock off the Pats.

Saying that, we could finish 7-9 just as easily as we haven't been great at putting teams away, but I'm quietly confident.

I'm still not sold on Philben though, the poor 2nd half performances don't show him in a good light and had we folded after the Tampa game I'd have been happy to see him go. He gets more time from me but I'm not in on him 100%, or anything close to it.

Benimar wrote: »
    Actually starting to believe we can do this. Baltimore have tougher games than us and if we can bring confidence from the Steelers game we COULD knock off the Pats.

Saying that, we could finish 7-9 just as easily as we haven't been great at putting teams away, but I'm quietly confident.

I'm still not sold on Philben though, the poor 2nd half performances don't show him in a good light and had we folded after the Tampa game I'd have been happy to see him go. He gets more time from me but I'm not in on him 100%, or anything close to it.

I'm quietly confident.....I expect them to win 2 of the last 3.....and even if they only win 1......I could easily see the Ravens finish 0-3

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

Well we can't finish any worse than 8-8 now. Massive performance from Tannehill and great stand at the end by an injury hit defence. The Jets seem to be in a bit of a tail spin now and we definitely owe the Bills for the defeat in Sunlife earlier in the season.

I can see the Ravens beating the Lions and the Bengals so oddly enough our season might rest on the Patriots doing us a favour. On the otherhand, if they lose their last 2 and we win the last 2 could we still win the Division? Surely if it didn't matter they'd already have sealed the Division?

Biggest win of the season IMO.....really can't see Baltimore winning @Detroit, vs New England and @Cincinnati........most analysts here now have the Dolphins as the favorite for the last wildcard spot.

Today's win put their playoff chances up by 19%....they are now at 77.3

Biggest win of the season IMO.....really can't see Baltimore winning @Detroit, vs New England and @Cincinnati........most analysts here now have the Dolphins as the favorite for the last wildcard spot.

Today's win put their playoff chances up by 19%....they are now at 77.3

After the Bengals loss last night I'm pretty sure that two wins put us in. If the Ravens finish 10-6, so will the Bengals. Ravens win the division and Miami hold the tie breaker over Cincy for the WC.

What a win that was yesterday. Considering how the season has gone so far, I was certain it would come down to the last play of the game and thats exactly what materialised. I honestly didn't think the Fins would hold on, as we have become so used to heartbreak with the team over the years. But what a moment it was for newly signed Michael Thomas, to pick off Tom Brady to seal a huge win for the Dolphins.

As for the game itself, Tannehill was immense. Biggest game of his short pro career and it was arguably his best. Alot of times you will see young QB's wilt in that situation due to pressure and the quality of the opposition. But if anyone was in doubt about this kids potential, then those fears should have been resolved yesterday.

Was good to see the coaches get creative with Wallace yesterday, using end arounds and screens to get him involved. Sending him on crossing patterns is something that needs to be included more into the offense, as one missed tackle will lead to a big game. To his credit, Wallace worked quite hard also. Was fighting back for balls and was not static waiting for the pass to get to him.

The running game was solid, with both Thomas and Miller seeing alot of time and catching a few balls out of the back filed. Their blocking however was suspect and both were responsible for giving up sacks. As for the O-Line, they had the beating of the Pats D-Line on the ground, but struggled on passing downs. The best thing I can say is that at least they held up and didn't give up crippling sacks at the end of the game. Ninkovich abd Jones are very good edge rushers, so I always expected the O-Line to struggle.

I thought the defense had one of its worse games. The run game is a problem and the Pats exploited it yesterday. Although Vereen was limited to very little, Blount and Ridley found joy. The defense also struggled to get pressure on Brady for most of the game, which allowed him to complete alot of balls to Amendola and Edelman. Some of that though I would blame on Coyle, as he sent alot of four man rushes. Wasn't until the 4th that he began to send extra rushers, which led to more success. This at least gave stand in corners Will Davis and Jimmy Wilson some hope of defending Edelman and Amendola.

All in all, it was a massive win and keeps our playoff hopes alive. Was great to see the crowd respond also, as fans in Miami aren't what you would call die hards. Was nice though to hear Phil Simms say it was the loudest stadium he was in this season.

Looking ahead to next week, the Bills in December at RW Stadium is not easy. EJ Manuel back will also give them more competence at QB and the threat of running when given the chance. The Bills are also very good on the ground (top 5 in the league) which is a big weakness of the Fins. Really hope Grimes, Carroll and Soliai will be able to go.

After the Bengals loss last night I'm pretty sure that two wins put us in. If the Ravens finish 10-6, so will the Bengals. Ravens win the division and Miami hold the tie breaker over Cincy for the WC.

Not just pretty sure....it's fact......if the fins win out, they're in. Ravens can only finish ahead of the Dolphins if they win out, but if they win out the best the bengals can do is 10-6, as you said, putting the Dolphins ahead of the Bengals for the wildcard.

If the Bengals win out, they will finish 11-5, win the AFC North and the Ravens will finish 9-7, behind the dolphins for the wildcard.

No other AFC team can match or beat the Dolphins record if they win out.

EJ Manuel back will also give them more competence at QB and the threat of running when given the chance.

Bills have just admitted that Manuel suffered a sprained knee yesterday.....they expect him to play Sunday, but it could only be good news for the Dolphins if his mobility is affected.

• Advertisement

Updated playoff secenarios......Miami clinch playoff spot in week 16 with Win + Cin Loss + Bal Loss......or we could hope for a win, and a baltimore win over New England.....which would lead to week 17 where if the Dolphins win in week 17 at home to the Jets, the Patriots would have to win in Buffalo to hold onto the division.

The playoff scenario I find strange is that if:

- Miami loses to Bills, defeats Jets
    - Baltimore - Defeat New England, lose to Bengals
    - Chargers defeat Oakland and Kansas City

Miami would make the playoffs, even though all three would finish on 9-7. The Chargers finishing 9-7 makes all the difference.

The playoff scenario I find strange is that if:

- Miami loses to Bills, defeats Jets
    - Baltimore - Defeat New England, lose to Bengals
    - Chargers defeat Oakland and Kansas City

Miami would make the playoffs, even though all three would finish on 9-7. The Chargers finishing 9-7 makes all the difference.

Correct.....3-way ties are seperated on conference record....which Miami is currently 7-3, Baltimore is 6-4 and San Diego is 4-6....if they were to all finish 9-7, those would finish miami 8-4, Baltimore 7-5 and San Diego 6-6, giving Miami the tiebreaker.

Manuel ruled out of sunday's game.....Thad Lewis to start.

Manuel ruled out of sunday's game.....Thad Lewis to start.

Stop the run and we win so. Can't see Lewis putting up big numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Stop the run and we win so. Can't see Lewis putting up big numbers.

From what I've seen of both with the Bills so far, Lewis is the better quarterback for me.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    From what I've seen of both with the Bills so far, Lewis is the better quarterback for me.

You could be right, for some reason I mixed up Lewis and Tuel.

You could be right, for some reason I mixed up Lewis and Tuel.

Dolphins made Lewis look like a superstar on 3rd down the first time they met

Looking at the previous game, I think Miami would be happy with a similar defensive performance. The Bills struggled on the ground (only 90 total rushing yards) and Lewis only through for 200.

The offensive performance let the Fins down that day, with Tannehill's pick 6 making all the difference that day. Tannehill's performance that day was very ordinary. Also the O-Line was at its worst during this part of the season so he should get more time.

Basically Miami will want to contain the Bills on the ground and force Lewis to beat them. Meanwhile the offense will need Tannehill to continue his current form.

Looking at the previous game, I think Miami would be happy with a similar defensive performance. The Bills struggled on the ground (only 90 total rushing yards) and Lewis only through for 200.

The offensive performance let the Fins down that day, with Tannehill's pick 6 making all the difference that day. Tannehill's performance that day was very ordinary. Also the O-Line was at its worst during this part of the season so he should get more time.

Basically Miami will want to contain the Bills on the ground and force Lewis to beat them. Meanwhile the offense will need Tannehill to continue his current form.

Their numbers were below average for that game......the Dolphins just failed to stop the Bills on key plays

The Phins performance today

BcHedRZIYAA5tZ5.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Awful performance. Typical Phins, get our hopes up and then stink the joint out when they have a chance to achieve something.

I'm back in the 'fire everybody' zone tonight.

How can they do this to their fans.....all they had to do is beat Buffalo......now they've left us with no choice but to root for the Patriots......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

To be honest if they were to go to the playoffs and play like they did tonight then they'd be safer not going to the playoffs. I've no doubt they'll beat the Jets next weekend but I can't see it mattering now. Total shambles

ravens are well on their way to losing......fins win next week plus bengals win at home would still put them in

So with the Pats beating the Ravens and the Chargers beating the Raiders, Miami's chances of clinching a playoff spot are still alive.

On today's performance, not much more to say that has already been said.

I gotta say though, the Fins might be embarrassed by today's result, but the Ravens got humiliated. When you looked at Miami vs Buffalo, Buffalo had the edge on Miami in key areas going into the game. Miami have been weakest against the run and in pass protection. Buffalo exploited both of these weaknesses to great affect. Also playing in Buffalo in December is never easy and the conditions were poor today. IMO, this result as on the cards.

Psychologically, I'd much prefer to be in Miami's situation than the Ravens. Miami will be angry after that performance, especially not having scored and blowing a golden opportunity. I think having their final game in Miami and with a chance of playoffs alive, I can see the team responding against the most hated of divisional rivals. They will also be playing against a team and a QB they have beaten away from home, so they will be confident of doing it again.

For the Ravens, they just got humiliated against a team they have gotten the better of recently and with a chance of putting a foot in the playoffs. I think that loss tonight will really have knocked the players confidence. Harbaugh will have a massive job trying to rally this team and try to go into Cincinnati against a Bengals side still looking for a 1st round bye.

I'm notone to usually be positive, espcially after defeats, but if the coaching staff actually do their jobs and get a response out of this team, then I think a playoff spot will be their for them.

Back in the wildcard position.........go Patriots......ew.....I'm going to throw up

So the playoff scenario is pretty straightforward :D

Miami are in with win and San Diego win.......or win and Baltimore loss.

There's no situation where they could get in with a loss.

Back in the wildcard position.........go Patriots......ew.....I'm going to throw up

Of course you're not going to throw up, I bet you felt all warm and fuzzy inside after saying that......:pac:

Of course you're not going to throw up, I bet you felt all warm and fuzzy inside after saying that......:pac:

Warm and fuzzy like the final stages or organ failure

30 minutes from everyone getting fired.

Cincy are doing their bit but we are being 'Typical Dolphin'.

• Advertisement

If they blow this then they all deserve to be chopped.

Thad Lewis and Geno Smith looking like putting the Fins out of the playoffs. Unbelievable.

Dumb call by Philbin.....only down by 1 score with 25 minutes left....not time to go for it on 4th down, especially in your own half of the field

Fins have scored 7 points in 8 quarters vs the Bills and Jets.

Says it all

they need to learn to beat bad teams......they're 5-2 against teams that were in playoff contention entering this week.....but terrible against eliminated teams

Tannehill is not good enough and will never be good enough, he'd be a good back-up qb but not as your starter if you want to be alive post-season, just doesn't deliver when it counts

can't beat either bills or jets so don't deserve it

time for some dismissals and do not base the future of the franchise on Tannehill

they need to learn to beat bad teams......they're 5-2 against teams that were in playoff contention entering this week.....but terrible against eliminated teams

I don't mind the team getting beat by poor sides, as long as some effort was put in. Its the not showing up for the two biggest games of the season that is inexcusable.

7 points in 8 quarters of football is pathetic. Even against good sides.

P45's all around. Terrible, just terrible

embarrassing, post-season on a plate and they screw it up against one of the most limited one-dimensional times out there and what's worse they didn't even go down fighting, barely threw a punch

the very defintion of gutless

Jaysus christ lads, talk about a serious case of wtf? You were beaten by a team that's so bad, their HC was celebrating on the sideline like he was going to the Super Bowl. I never saw that result coming.

• Advertisement

Jaysus christ lads, talk about a serious case of wtf? You were beaten by a team that's so bad, their HC was celebrating on the sideline like he was going to the Super Bowl. I never saw that result coming.

Got out-coached and out-played two weeks running. Team melted under pressure and was unable to respond.

When Geno Smith and Thad Lewis are having their way with you, you know you have major issues.

Advertisement