Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today the tax day - revenue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭capefear

No, if the SoL is there then it's too late.

I hate to be spiky in current times when people are getting bad news but let's be adults about it, if not paying was as simple as not opening the PDFs Revenue wouldn't be collecting any money.

No your not been spiky at all, I totally agree and the revenue have spent a lot of money improving their software with paye modernisation etc. I say that its there regardless of weather you open it or not. Im just saying thats the way it use to be, it was the p21 that triggered the debt or refund as far as I remember.

I would say the revenue will start sending letters out as reminders soon enough or before the year end. I know there going paperless with myaccounts etc but they still send out paper letters as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

With regards to claiming pharmacy prescriptions as medical costs, does that include prescriptions for children in the family too or is it just both parents? No medical card involved here.

Whole family.

You can also claim tax relief if you pay somebody else's medical bills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

capefear wrote: »
    No your not been spiky at all, I totally agree and the revenue have spent a lot of money improving their software with paye modernisation etc. I say that its there regardless of weather you open it or not. Im just saying thats the way it use to be, it was the p21 that triggered the debt or refund as far as I remember.

I would say the revenue will start sending letters out as reminders soon enough or before the year end. I know there going paperless with myaccounts etc but they still send out paper letters as well.

Any underpayment is going to be put into your tax credit cert for the following period, whether or not you request the SOL or not.

This also happened when the P21 was around - anyone in recept of social welfare income in the previous year would automatically have it put onto their tax credit cert the following year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

capefear wrote: »
    thats a good question. I remember been told before by one of the tax refund agents if you dont request a balancing statement (p21) as it was called you wont owe the revenue anything as its all automated. If at any stage you requested the P21 within the four years deadline for say a mortgage application then you will trigger the liability, but if you dont you wont trigger it. I wonder is it the same for the SOL I assume it is.

This would only be the case if your employer had not deducted the tax properly - if you had social welfare income this would be put into the tax credit cert the following year so its the same story with PUP and TWSS. Requesting a P21/SOL establishes whether or not the tax deducted under PAYE was corect or not and in the past if the P21 was not triggered this would remain unknown, but the social welfare income would still go on the TCC.

Revenue got PAYE Modernisation in just in time. Under the old system trying to recoup all the tax from PUP and TWSS properly would have been even more of a nightmare and probably completely undoable.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

gaz15 wrote: »
    Anyone else still having trouble getting access to view the SoL? It's saying it's available to view but when I click on it I'm still getting a pop up saying it'll be available to view soon

Yep. Me too.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭shmeee

Mine was topped up by my employer buty take-home pay always remained the same, same with my husband, neither of us got a cent more than we should and we both have tax bills!

Yes, sorry, I'm wrong!

Tapering would have occurred.

Max wage topped up to would be average net pay for Jan / Feb 2020. Some cases may come out better as working on an hourly pay scale etc and were earning same figure on TWSS but actually doing less work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

No, if the SoL is there then it's too late.

I hate to be spiky in current times when people are getting bad news but let's be adults about it, if not paying was as simple as not opening the PDFs Revenue wouldn't be collecting any money.

The SOL link was there at Christmas before the end of year and in just wondering if you don't request one like a p21 does it all blow over.

Obviously we are now dealing with Revenue who has real time information.

The amount of revenue they have must be absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Docked out of your salary over the course of 4 years beginning in Jan '22.

ie if you owed €2,400 your tax credit certificates for '22-'25 would be such that your payroll department would take €50 a month more than normal out of your salary.

Have you a reference for this where did you see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

kala85 wrote: »
    Have you a reference for this where did you see this

My liability statement backs this up, it's being taken out divided equally over 4 years.

Some argue to pay it off straight away and be done, mine is €1000, I'd rather wait for interest to eat into that, €1000 wont be €1000 in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

As you are jointly assessed for tax purposes any refund due will be offset against any underpayment.

Thanks for that, I cant see why when our tax credits are distributed between us and both of our bank accounts are linked for separate refunds in the event of overpayment. We are two clients not one.

Ros still showing 0.00 for his TWSS which is wrong anyway. Need to keep reviewing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I cant see why when our tax credits are distributed between us and both of our bank accounts are linked for separate refunds in the event of overpayment. We are two clients not one.

Ros still showing 0.00 for his TWSS which is wrong anyway. Need to keep reviewing it.

How your credits and rateband are divided between you and your spouse when you are joint assessed determines the amount of tax you each pay each week.

When a review is done at the end of the year both your incomes are combined, and your combined credits and SRCOP are used to calculate whether you were taxed correctly. If one person had spare, unused credits or SRCOP these then pass to the other person, which can trigger a refund.

The only way to be taxed as two entirely separate people is to apply for separate assessment or separate treatment. This cannot be applied for retrospectively. For 2021 you would need to apply for this before the end of March this year.

When a review is done at the end of the year both your incomes are combined, and your combined credits and SRCOP are used to calculate whether you were taxed correctly. If one person had spare, unused credits or SRCOP these then pass to the other person, which can trigger a refund.

Ah ffs I never knew that.. I'm the higher earner and our credits are split in whatever way was most advantageous to us both. I'm sick that they have chosen to take my 1200 refund to offset his underpayemtn when he could have opted to pay it over 4 years like most people will do.

Any idea who I can contact about it to see if theyll reverse this? What a waste of a big lump sum like that. I'm fuming.

Ah ffs I never knew that.. I'm the higher earner and our credits are split in whatever way was most advantageous to us both. I'm sick that they have chosen to take my 1200 refund to offset his underpayemtn when he could have opted to pay it over 4 years like most people will do.

Any idea who I can contact about it to see if theyll reverse this? What a waste of a big lump sum like that. I'm fuming.

Pretty sure it can’t be reversed, you could send through a myEnquiry to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well the 4 years spread is designed to help those that are basically losing out to deal with the cost.

As you have money owed to you by Revenue, it doesn't make any sense that they would give you your refund but also give you and interest free loan for 4 years.

I get it that it feels unfair, but in reality people owe tax and the revenue is giving them special allowances given their circumstances. You don't need those circumstances so it would seem pointless to offer them to you.

Leroy42 wrote:
    As you have money owed to you by Revenue, it doesn't make any sense that they would give you your refund but also give you and interest free loan for 4 years.

*give my husband an interest free loan for 4 years
    Leroy42 wrote:
    I get it that it feels unfair, but in reality people owe tax and the revenue is giving them special allowances given their circumstances. You don't need those circumstances so it would seem pointless to offer them to you.

Well in fairness you don't know my circumstances or my need for that 1200 euro. I'm on maternity leave and due to return to work shortly. I was expecting this refund and need it towards childcare costs. Not every married couple lives out of a joint account. I earn more, I cover more expenses, so I'll pay shouldering the brunt of our childcare costs. He would have managed a few euro extra in tax deductions over time but wont manage to contribute an extra 100 per week over 12 weeks towards childcare which is what I need it for to see us through to the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Well in fairness you don't know my circumstances or my need for that 1200 euro. I'm on maternity leave and due to return to work shortly. I was expecting this refund and need it towards childcare costs. Not every married couple lives out of a joint account. I earn more, I cover more expenses, so I'll pay shouldering the brunt of our childcare costs. He would have managed a few euro extra in tax deductions over time but wont manage to contribute an extra 100 per week over 12 weeks towards childcare which is what I need it for to see us through to the summer.

If you don't have joint finances, why did you choose to be assessed as a couple?

You are treated jointly, you cannot now claim to be different.

I don't need to know your circumstances. You owe tax to the revenue. The revenue owe a refund to you. It makes perfect sense that they would set these off against each other. (I am using you in relation to the revenue account, ie joint party).

None of that removes your right to look for your employer to refund you the tax that you seem to have to pay.

Just to be clear, I get what you are saying, and I agree that it appears somewhat unfair, just that it from a revenue POV it makes perfect sense to act in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Okay, I know it's not exactly ideal... but.. it didn't go to a stranger. You're married to him, you've your tax credits split to your advantage etc. Seems odd to me that you're begrudging your husband the benefit of your surplus. It's not money you ever had in your hand to begin with.

"fuming" over it? Okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Okay, hands up. I didn't see this. But still you sound very much against your husband here and bitter about it. You're joint assessed for reasons exactly like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cyc1337

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You are treated jointly, you cannot now claim to be different.

I don't need to know your circumstances. You owe tax to the revenue. The revenue owe a refund to you. It makes perfect sense that they would set these off against each other. (I am using you in relation to the revenue account, ie joint party).

None of that removes your right to look for your employer to refund you the tax that you seem to have to pay.

Just to be clear, I get what you are saying, and I agree that it appears somewhat unfair, just that it from a revenue POV it makes perfect sense to act in this way.

I'm in exactly the same situation - I'm the higher earner, i pay 40% effective tax (my bonuses are taxes at 52% - government benefits more from my performance than I do, and I do all the work and take the risk), i pay BIK tax for employee provided health insurance for both of us, we just had a baby so my wife is on maternity, we had labour and other big baby expenses and she gets hit with 2.5k tax bill that should've been taken out at source from her gross.

We don't owe revenue anything, her employer owes to pay the agreed gross salary and share of tax to revenue.

Usually I get 1.5-2k in back taxes so now we'll get nothing and still be liable for the rest. That's not even a loan, that's THEFT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Still can't access my SOL. Tried to ring them, placed on hold and ran out of credit.

If you don't have joint finances, why did you choose to be assessed as a couple?

Because he is a lower earner and has unused tax credits so some of these were allocated to me.
    Leroy42 wrote:

Not sure what you mean here?

I logged into Revenue on Friday, preliminary statement said I overpaid 1200, as expected. My husband's employer/payroll did not input the TWSS until yesterday. He was paid 5k on this scheme. It now says I have no overpayment/refund due, so it seems they offset my overpayment against his under payment.

Two years ago I got a refund of about 1100 and he got one of about 500. Both paid separately into our person bank accounts. I just fail to see why they are now offsetting mine against his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Was on TWSS. Mine was close to 1000.
    Frustrating as the company went on to have it's best year ever by a long way. Covid was and is very good for my company.

cyc1337 wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same situation - I'm the higher earner, i pay 40% effective tax (my bonuses are taxes at 52% - government benefits more from my performance than I do, and I do all the work and take the risk), i pay BIK tax for employee provided health insurance for both of us, we just had a baby so my wife is on maternity, we had labour and other big baby expenses and she gets hit with 2.5k tax bill that should've been taken out at source from her gross.

We don't owe revenue anything, her employer owes to pay the agreed gross salary and share of tax to revenue.

Usually I get 1.5-2k in back taxes so now we'll get nothing and still be liable for the rest. That's not even a loan, that's THEFT.

The first paragraph is simply stating the tax rules. You may not agree with them but thems ther rules are they are irrelevant to this particular point.

You do owe something to revenue. How you ended up owning to revenue is of course an issue. I totally agree that the employer should cover any additional tax you may be being charged, for they got the benefit not you. But that is a discussion you need to have with your employer. The revenue, whilst this was initially handled poorly (and the requirement for speed seemed to overtake other requirements) are owed tax.

You got paid for working for your employer. Under normal circumstances the revenue would receive a certain amount of tax based on what you were paid. They didn't receive that, but it seems you received the same amount of money.

Thats the nub of the issue. It is entirely unfair that it is the employer, rather than revenue or you, that is benefitting from this.

I can't really comment on your last sentence, not sure why you consider paying taxes back to the state as theft.

I would suggest that you have a look at your earning for 2020. If your pay stayed the same (net pay) then of course you should not be liable for the extra tax liability. It is being handled terribly by the Government, and thus by the Revenue. They have placed the onus on the individual rather than going directly to the companies to make up the shortfall.

• Advertisement

Was on TWSS. Mine was close to 1000.
    Frustrating as the company went on to have it's best year ever by a long way. Covid was and is very good for my company.

Then the company should pay you back the 1000. End of. There is no argument for the company to stiff their employees in this way. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Because he is a lower earner and has unused tax credits so some of these were allocated to me.

Not sure what you mean here?

I logged into Revenue on Friday, preliminary statement said I overpaid 1200, as expected. My husband's employer/payroll did not input the TWSS until yesterday. He was paid 5k on this scheme. It now says I have no overpayment/refund due, so it seems they offset my overpayment against his under payment.

Two years ago I got a refund of about 1100 and he got one of about 500. Both paid separately into our person bank accounts. I just fail to see why they are now offsetting mine against his.

maybe its gone because theyve paid it to you? Have you checked account or maybe by cheque on the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

snowgal wrote: »
    maybe its gone because theyve paid it to you? Have you checked account or maybe by cheque on the way..

No, that's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

Hi I was wondering can someone advise me please, myself and my husband are jointly assessed, I’m also registered for Ros as I have a rental property, I’ve been receiving the Pup payment and my husband was on the Wss for a time, how do I go about finding out what our tax liability is, I can’t view SOL’s under MyAccount as it says “you or your spouse is registered for income tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Then the company should pay you back the 1000. End of. There is no argument for the company to stiff their employees in this way. None.

Is there a check from revenue on companies to see if their business was in fact at a loss compared to other years?

• Advertisement

MayBee wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering can someone advise me please, myself and my husband are jointly assessed, I’m also registered for Ros as I have a rental property, I’ve been receiving the Pup payment and my husband was on the Wss for a time, how do I go about finding out what our tax liability is, I can’t view SOL’s under MyAccount as it says “you or your spouse is registered for income tax

If you usually submit a Form 11 with your rental income, your tax liability will be assessed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

If you usually submit a Form 11 with your rental income, your tax liability will be assessed then.

So I’ve no way of finding out before then, I’m not in a position to pay the tax on the rental this early in in the year unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 31 socute14

Anyone get their refunds today by any chance. Got the statement last Saturday morning, could really do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gb19815

Hi today we have been told we have to apply for the pandemic payment direct due to changes made by revenue, we were on it last year . Our concern is this breaking service with company ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

MayBee wrote: »
    So I’ve no way of finding out before then, I’m not in a position to pay the tax on the rental this early in in the year unfortunately

Can you not file the return, ROS will calculate online your liability. You then have till 31/10 to actually pay it (although provisional tax is normally due by 31/3).

Okay, hands up. I didn't see this. But still you sound very much against your husband here and bitter about it. You're joint assessed for reasons exactly like this.

Absolutely not against my husband on this, if he wouldn't have had an option to repay it in tiny amounts over 4 years then of course we would be offsetting it against his underpayment in any normal year. But in a normal year this wouldn't have happened as he would have paid the tax at source as usual. I'm against Revenue for taking away the option to choose to repay it over time as others are able to do.
    snowgal wrote:

No that's not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

socute14 wrote: »
    Anyone get their refunds today by any chance. Got the statement last Saturday morning, could really do with it.

Not yet. Constantly checking my account!! I'd be hopeful they're out this week, it's payday for me Friday anyways but it would be nice to get it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Should the tax liability be equal to the difference in take home pay before and during the scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

socute14 wrote: »

Would it be due this quickly?

Another monumental failure is the simple statement that you will be refunded. A timeline would help ffs.

Was quite pleased to get just over a grand back, every amateur doom and gloom "expert" harping on about debts and what have you. I knew it didn't particularly make any sense how I spent circa 12 weeks earning an amount (400) that if I were working for that in a minimum wage job I'd pay near to no tax on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

Does anyone know how long it usually takes revenue to issue a refund? My SOL is dated the 16th of Jan

• Advertisement

The first paragraph is simply stating the tax rules. You may not agree with them but thems ther rules are they are irrelevant to this particular point.

You do owe something to revenue. How you ended up owning to revenue is of course an issue. I totally agree that the employer should cover any additional tax you may be being charged, for they got the benefit not you. But that is a discussion you need to have with your employer. The revenue, whilst this was initially handled poorly (and the requirement for speed seemed to overtake other requirements) are owed tax.

You got paid for working for your employer. Under normal circumstances the revenue would receive a certain amount of tax based on what you were paid. They didn't receive that, but it seems you received the same amount of money.

Thats the nub of the issue. It is entirely unfair that it is the employer, rather than revenue or you, that is benefitting from this.

I can't really comment on your last sentence, not sure why you consider paying taxes back to the state as theft.

I would suggest that you have a look at your earning for 2020. If your pay stayed the same (net pay) then of course you should not be liable for the extra tax liability. It is being handled terribly by the Government, and thus by the Revenue. They have placed the onus on the individual rather than going directly to the companies to make up the shortfall.

Yeah I'm stating the tax rules as context in which I live that I pay through the nose and then get (illegally) shafted and on top of that while having a newborn.
    We bear absolutely no liability or responsibility for stupid lockdown and forced economic hardship yet we're supposed to take a hit?

Instead of tax back for overpayment, my wife now has to make her employer pay for it (how exactly?) while on maternity instead of the government doing their damn job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've got my last 4 years SOL's now, eventually.

Does anyone know if the 4 years can be balanced off against each other? Or what way does it work, does each person have a surplus or deficit attached to their name that has to be paid eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 arex93

I've seen a few people complaining about their tax liability due to the TWSS. Most of them worked the same hours as usual during the year, but they got the net pay into their bank account and not the gross pay. Its basically a salary reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭shmeee

Fitz* wrote: »
    I've got my last 4 years SOL's now, eventually.

Does anyone know if the 4 years can be balanced off against each other? Or what way does it work, does each person have a surplus or deficit attached to their name that has to be paid eventually?

I completed 3 years together a few years back and I was owed money in year 1, and in year 2 and year 3 I owed Revenue money. It was all then balanced (overall an underpayment) on my Tax Credits Cert for the following year after receiving the statement.

If you owe money, it will be paid back at some stage. You can only claim a refund of tax on the last 4 years.

cyc1337 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm stating the tax rules as context in which I live that I pay through the nose and then get (illegally) shafted and on top of that while having a newborn.
    We bear absolutely no liability or responsibility for stupid lockdown and forced economic hardship yet we're supposed to take a hit?

Instead of tax back for overpayment, my wife now has to make her employer pay for it (how exactly?) while on maternity instead of the government doing their damn job.

Again, I'm not arguing that the tax rules are fair. You are not getting illegally shafted. you received money tax-free from the government. Under normal rules, tax-free payments are subject to tax. Under the PAYE system, employees have the tax removed before payment, but for example, self-employed receive a gross amount and then return the tax due to revenue at the end of the year.

There is nothing illegal about what the revenue is doing.

You do bear a liability, but I agree it should not be your, or mine, responsibility. This would have been far better for this to have been dealt with winin the payroll systems and/or directly with the employers.

As to how your wide gets your employer to pay for it, all the affected employees need to bring up the issue with the company. It is not even remotely defensible that lower paid employees (ie those that were included in TWSS) are being subject to a charge whilst higher path (probably including the boss) are not.

The first stop is to approach her boss with the SOL. As I posted previously, her contract of employment would state the company had to pay her a certain gross amount, I very much doubt they have stuck to that contract.

Its a crappy situation, poorly handled by the government. I would, in their position, either simply written off (they claim it is small so the cost should be small) or go back to employers with a demand to pay the SOL balances (that relate to TWSS).

My guess if the Revenue didn't fancy getting involved and simply shifted the responsibility over to employees. But is a fundamental change in the relationship as normally the employer deals with any and all taxes arising from their employment. This has put each taxpayer back into the area of self return.

Not an avenue that the revenue are going to want to actually go down (think of the US tax system where everyone files each year).

Again, I'm not arguing that the tax rules are fair. You are not getting illegally shafted. you received money tax-free from the government. Under normal rules, tax-free payments are subject to tax. Under the PAYE system, employees have the tax removed before payment, but for example, self-employed receive a gross amount and then return the tax due to revenue at the end of the year.

There is nothing illegal about what the revenue is doing.

You do bear a liability, but I agree it should not be your, or mine, responsibility. This would have been far better for this to have been dealt with winin the payroll systems and/or directly with the employers.

As to how your wide gets your employer to pay for it, all the affected employees need to bring up the issue with the company. It is not even remotely defensible that lower paid employees (ie those that were included in TWSS) are being subject to a charge whilst higher path (probably including the boss) are not.

The first stop is to approach her boss with the SOL. As I posted previously, her contract of employment would state the company had to pay her a certain gross amount, I very much doubt they have stuck to that contract.

Its a crappy situation, poorly handled by the government. I would, in their position, either simply written off (they claim it is small so the cost should be small) or go back to employers with a demand to pay the SOL balances (that relate to TWSS).

My guess if the Revenue didn't fancy getting involved and simply shifted the responsibility over to employees. But is a fundamental change in the relationship as normally the employer deals with any and all taxes arising from their employment. This has put each taxpayer back into the area of self return.

Not an avenue that the revenue are going to want to actually go down (think of the US tax system where everyone files each year).

I got you but to sum it up in 2 points:
    Fact 1: my wife did not request nor receive money from the government. The employer did, without her say in it.
    Fact 2: laws and contracts still need to be upheld.

Revenue is basically abetting employers escape their legal and contractual obligations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm okay with paying mine back by 2025 but if any of you fine folk want to lobby the government, I'd much appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

I received my SOL over the weekend and I've been left with an underpayment of tax for 2020. The curious thing is that the PUP figure listed is incorrect (I was on the PUP for 19 weeks, revenue have me down for over 21). What's curious is that the final figure for the PUP amount is not roundly divisible by 350Euro so I am wondering where they got the final amount from?

I've sent a query to revenue and if successful it should reduce my underpayment by about 260Euro which would be welcome. I'm ok with having my credits reduced for the next 4 years. Any future credits will be offset against it so I should be done with it in less than 4 years all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I received my SOL over the weekend and I've been left with an underpayment of tax for 2020. The curious thing is that the PUP figure listed is incorrect (I was on the PUP for 19 weeks, revenue have me down for over 21). What's curious is that the final figure for the PUP amount is not roundly divisible by 350Euro so I am wondering where they got the final amount from?

I've sent a query to revenue and if successful it should reduce my underpayment by about 260Euro which would be welcome. I'm ok with having my credits reduced for the next 4 years. Any future credits will be offset against it so I should be done with it in less than 4 years all going well.
    PUP started the first week at 203.It was also 300 and 350.No reason for it to be divisible by 350.
    You can check all the weeks payments on mywelfare.ie .
    Are you remembering the bonus week at Christmas,and the arrears paid the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

vandriver wrote: »
    PUP started the first week at 203.It was also 300 and 350.No reason for it to be divisible by 350.
    You can check all the weeks payments on mywelfare.ie .
    Are you remembering the bonus week at Christmas,and the arrears paid the week before.

None of the revised figures are applicable to me. I only received the 350Euro amount for 19 weeks from May to September (as borne out by my bank account records) so the amount should be evenly divisible by 350 which it isn't.

Advertisement