Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot to merge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

road_high wrote: »
    That’s 4 very mainstream middle of the road brands potentially under one roof?
    Peugeot is obviously the strongest one by some way, Citroen has improved things a lot too. Opel and Fiat need massive work

They also distribute Honda and sell Kia*; whether you think that makes that worse or better!

(*and double glazing and cheap kitchen appliances - its a complicated group)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

The website Stellantis has just gone live

https://www.stellantis.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Anytime I think of Fiat, I can't get the picture of the Multipla out of my head.

It must have been the ugliest car ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Anytime I think of Fiat, I can't get the picture of the Multipla out of my head.

It must have been the ugliest car ever made.

I don't understand the styling.

But people rave about from the practicality point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If Alfa can’t compete with VW, they have no hope of competing with Audi, not to mind the next level above that.

This new conglomerate has the potential to be the next General Motors. Too many brands with no differentiators.

Or the new British Leylandei. Unmanageably huge with different brands all competing with eachother. Like the Austin Allegro and the Morris Marina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

road_high wrote: »
    New 208 based Corsa seems to have been well received, selling well in Europe. The Grandland thing is awful looking, no style whatsoever

Id be the opposite. I think the new Corsa is the dullest Corsa ever made and while it is a good car it is nothing special. They should have styled it more like the current Astra which is still the best looking car in its class.
    I like like the Grandland think it is very classy and will age well but agree that it is a terrible name for a car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I assume Opel cars are more reliable now that they are using Peugeot engines & chassis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I assume Opel cars are more reliable now that they are using Peugeot engines & chassis.

Jesus no - If anything they've gotten worse!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Jesus no - If anything they've gotten worse!!!

Why do you say that? Is it from personal experience or bar stool talk ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Is it from personal experience or bar stool talk ;)

Personal experience - I know someone that happens to work in an Opel dealer ;)

To be honest I havent seen any of the so called Peugeot "reliability" - Im not sure that should even be in the same sentence.

At the minute I have 4 cars on ramps that are on the Peugeot platform that arent going any where soon all of them with stupid problems that and I never thought Id say this didnt occur when they used Opel running gear.

The only decent models seem to be their petrol models and the eCORSA is a really decent BEV.

All of the above cars are diesels using peugeot diesels and not opel ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

To be honest I havent seen any of the so called Peugeot "reliability" - Im not sure that should even be in the same sentence.

At the minute I have 4 cars on ramps that are on the Peugeot platform that arent going any where soon all of them with stupid problems that and I never thought Id say this didnt occur when they used Opel running gear.

The only decent models seem to be their petrol models and the eCORSA is a really decent BEV.

All of the above cars are diesels using peugeot diesels and not opel ones.

Yeh, I know of a guy who's mother is a mechanic for Mercedes... She says they have at least 15 cars in for repairs...

Mercedes must be ****ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

As do I and I can only echo most of what you've said, although they do say the PSA models are better but still rubbish.

So Stellantis are going to give all there brands a chance to success (see links below), not sure how that would work! That's like something a parent would tell all there children, but still have their favorites!!

https://www.motor1.com/news/467407/stellantis-brands-chance-success-chrysler/

https://uk.motor1.com/news/467320/lancia-to-become-premium-brand/

https://www.motor1.com/news/466927/2021-lancia-ypsilon-spy-photos/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't really see Opel / Vauxhall surviving long term in this scenario.

Stellantis will have to define its brands, by market segment, by territory etc.

In that regard, I think theres only room for two out of Citroën, DS, Peugeot, Opel/Vauxhall. DS is obvious to disappear, O/V cars already destined to be rebadged Pugs, so why bother.

I don't think Dodge and Lancia will survive either.

Maybe even Jeep will blend in with RAM and passenger SUVs will take on the latter brand, but thats less likely.

Larbre34 wrote: »

In that regard, I think theres only room for two out of Citroën, DS, Peugeot, Opel/Vauxhall. DS is obvious to disappear, O/V cars already destined to be rebadged Pugs, so why bother.

Maybe even Jeep will blend in with RAM and passenger SUVs will take on the latter brand, but thats less likely.

Jeep is one of the most successful brands on the planet right now... Why would they dismantle it? Alsobram is achieving its greatest sales since the brand was developed... Again, why damage that?

Larbre34 wrote: »

They just did define their brands into different segments. below is my take on their whole line up now,

Luxury
    MASERATI
    Premium
    ALFA ROMEO
    DS Automobiles
    LANCIA
    Upper Mainstream
    PEUGEOT
    OPEL
    VAUXHALL
    Mainstream
    ABARTH
    CHRYSLER
    CITROEN
    DODGE
    FIAT
    FIAT Professional
    JEEP
    RAM
    MOPAR

They just did define their brands into different segments. below is my take on their whole line up now, .......

Where's Alfa?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Augeo wrote: »
    Where's Alfa?

It’s in the list. Second one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I see people think Lancia as a brand will disappear.
    Maybe this is based on the perception here as they pulled out of the UK, Irish market in the 90s.
    They sell pretty well in the EU market.

What exactly are Lancia selling, I assume the Ypsilon is still hanging in there, but that’s out 10 years now. All the rebadged Chrysler’s are finished now aren’t they? Are they still doing the Delta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Jeep is one of the most successful brands on the planet right now... Why would they dismantle it? Alsobram is achieving its greatest sales since the brand was developed... Again, why damage that?

Absolutely. Jeep is a massive brand and seller in the US.

Ram is kicking Ford F-150 with the launch of the new Ram (which I have) and is the leader in design and new safety in the US.

Don’t forget, some people are only looking at this from a European point of view. The previous list is very much Eurocentric.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Abarth is a mainstream brand ?

It’s in the list. Second one :D

Oops, I didn't look under premium for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is Lancia a premium brand? The cars are pretty run of the mill in the markets where they're still sold, I'd say it must be a candidate for the chop.

loyatemu wrote: »
    is Lancia a premium brand? The cars are pretty run of the mill in the markets where they're still sold, I'd say it must be a candidate for the chop.

Could be a candidate for some more badge engineering too. I think the Italians are very patriotic in their car buying, so might help sell in Italy. Not sure how the rebadged Chrysler’s sold in Italy but it would be a good yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think we can forget the sacred cows of Italian or American heritage brands. Stellantis is a Dutch corporation looking to make money for its global shareholders.

It will keep and invest in the brands that resonate and will sell globally. To my mind, Lancia is dead outside Italy. As dead as Saab or Pontiac. Its segments are absolutely covered by Alfa and Maserati. Fiat will be the volume maker, Abarth could breath on all three.

DS has no right to exist as a stand alone brand. They are badge engineered Peugeots. Peugeot and Citroën have plenty of heritage building niche and luxury cars to do that again if they want. DS could be a spec, like Vignale etc.

Also Dodge and Chrysler don't need to both exist. Chrysler make three models, two of which are essentially the same car and one of which is a 25 year old E-class with some chrome. In other words, utter shyte boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They just did define their brands into different segments. below is my take on their whole line up now,

Luxury
    MASERATI
    Premium
    ALFA ROMEO
    DS Automobiles
    LANCIA
    Upper Mainstream
    PEUGEOT
    OPEL
    VAUXHALL
    Mainstream
    ABARTH
    CHRYSLER
    CITROEN
    DODGE
    FIAT
    FIAT Professional
    JEEP
    RAM
    MOPAR

I disagree with Jeep been mainstream. Maybe in America but here in Europe they are priced as a Premium brand and should be in that bracket.

Also I agree that I would not class Lancia as Premium. Maybe they could make Lancia there sports brand.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What exactly are Lancia selling, I assume the Ypsilon is still hanging in there, but that’s out 10 years now. All the rebadged Chrysler’s are finished now aren’t they? Are they still doing the Delta?

They sell the Ypsilon, and it's only sold in Italy. It sells more of these than all Alfas put together in the last few years......

Wouldn’t it be fun if they made Fiat a proper cheap brand like Dacia? Might be at odds with the 500e though.

I’d love if they did an Uno EV too.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t it be fun if they made Fiat a proper cheap brand like Dacia? Might be at odds with the 500e though.

I’d love if they did an Uno EV too.

No... Fiat has style and flair and driving dynamics... Dacia is just cheap.

Fiats should not be like Dacia, I just threw up in my mouth.

Advertisement